Fire Trap Mountain (Testing a gimmick)

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
Man1234FK
Tweeter
Tweeter

Fire Trap Mountain (Testing a gimmick)

Postby Man1234FK » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Hey! It's been a while since i uploaded or even made a level (VERY busy with all kinds of IRL stuff and with the new Youtube channel) so this might not be up to my usual quality of levels, but oh well :D
So i'm testing a warp thingy, there are various holes around the level and if you jump inside them you will "change sides" on the mountain. Feedback appreciated :)

Download Link!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/456y2kfhifx0f ... n.zip?dl=0

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Fire Trap Mountain Pic 3.png
Fire Trap Mountain Pic 2.png
Fire Trap Mountain Pic 1.png
Credits in the folder, if i missed someone let me know, i wasn't so sure on this one.

Reviews are much appreciated!

Squishy Rex
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Fire Trap Mountain (Testing a gimmick)

Postby Squishy Rex » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:03 am

That sounds like a cool gimmick actually being able to jump through holes in the walls to access the opposite side of the mountain. It's also good to see one of the level names I donated getting used, At least I know they aren't sitting there attached any of my half finished ones. The only thing you'll want to make sure of though, is that there are no enemies too close to any exit points. If there are you'll have a few unfair hits if there's no time to react. Can't wait to play the level, it definitely looks fun, though I'd probably remove some of the coins from screenshot 1.

SilverDeoxys563

Postby SilverDeoxys563 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:38 am

I'd probably add BGO sizables behind the holes if I were you so that it would look like there's something behind it. The holes don't look that obvious in the screenshots to me. I like the creative concept though.

Man1234FK
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby Man1234FK » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:35 am

Squishy Rex wrote:That sounds like a cool gimmick actually being able to jump through holes in the walls to access the opposite side of the mountain. It's also good to see one of the level names I donated getting used, At least I know they aren't sitting there attached any of my half finished ones. The only thing you'll want to make sure of though, is that there are no enemies too close to any exit points. If there are you'll have a few unfair hits if there's no time to react. Can't wait to play the level, it definitely looks fun, though I'd probably remove some of the coins from screenshot 1.
Thanks!! And you donated a level name? :o Did we actually come up with the same name? XD Cool.
I did try and make it so that there aren't any enemies TOO close to the exits. And yeah i can be very coin heavy sometimes. :D
SilverDeoxys563 wrote:I'd probably add BGO sizables behind the holes if I were you so that it would look like there's something behind it. The holes don't look that obvious in the screenshots to me. I like the creative concept though.
Thanks! And yeah good point, i'll think about that the next time i use this gimmick.

Squishy Rex
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Squishy Rex » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:41 am

I guess we did come up with the same name, that's a pretty weird coincidence I must admit. Also I merged you two posts, next time just edit your previous message instead of double posting.

Man1234FK
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby Man1234FK » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:43 am

Squishy Rex wrote:I guess we did come up with the same name, that's a pretty weird coincidence I must admit. Also I merged you two posts, next time just edit your previous message instead of double posting.
That is indeed. :D and whoops, i always forget that. Sorry :P

Brindille

Postby Brindille » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:32 pm

I liked this level :3 Even though I found it easy and short. And there is no background music ;x
(Awesome design~)

Note : ★★★☆☆

Man1234FK
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby Man1234FK » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:52 pm

Brindille wrote:

I liked this level :3 Even though I found it easy and short. And there is no background music ;x
(Awesome design~)

Note : ★★★☆☆
Hey thanks! And yeah about the music, i just didn't find anything fitting for it :P if i do i'll be sure to update it!

suckhacker
Banned

Postby suckhacker » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:17 pm

I don't get it. it called Fire Ttrap Mountain, but i don't see no fire in the screenshots, just waterfalls. Why did you name your level so misleading? It confused me and it will confuse newcomers as wll as anybody that don't know what's going on here.

Chip Potato
Ninji
Ninji

Postby Chip Potato » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:46 pm

suckhacker wrote:I don't get it. it called Fire Ttrap Mountain, but i don't see no fire in the screenshots, just waterfalls. Why did you name your level so misleading? It confused me and it will confuse newcomers as wll as anybody that don't know what's going on here.
it's probably called that because it has venus fire traps in it.

Man1234FK
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby Man1234FK » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:00 am

Chip Potato wrote:
suckhacker wrote:I don't get it. it called Fire Ttrap Mountain, but i don't see no fire in the screenshots, just waterfalls. Why did you name your level so misleading? It confused me and it will confuse newcomers as wll as anybody that don't know what's going on here.
Yup, it's called that because there are venus fire traps and i thought that "Venus Fire Trap Mountain" would have been too long for a name :P

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat May 02, 2015 12:35 pm

Man1234FK wrote:
Chip Potato wrote:
Yup, it's called that because there are venus fire traps and i thought that "Venus Fire Trap Mountain" would have been too long for a name :P
To be fair, this level doesn't seem to emphasize the Venus Fire Traps over any other enemy, or even more than any other level. Honestly, Volcano Lotus Mountain would have been a better name since there are easily more Volcano Lotuses than Venus Fire Traps.
Man1234FK wrote:about the music, i just didn't find anything fitting for it
...did you even try? You know, we have a thread for this. Anyway, here's my recommendation:

Anyway, my review:

This level is kinda meh. Not only is there no music, but the "gimmick" being tested is nowhere near fully realized, or even built upon enough to make much difference; it's just kinda there. The only thing close to clever that you did was the location of the hole in Section 9, but even that feels like you're still building up to the truly clever part, which never comes. Plus, the level itself is too short and too mediocre to hold up on its own, despite there being maybe one or two clever NPC placements. Also, there's no midpoint, and the Jumpin' Piranha Plant in Section 2 is touching the border of the section, so it won't spawn.

By the way, the invisible coin block at the beginning killed me since I didn't know it was there; I recommend removing it and making another hole that leads to the first dragon coin.

Summary:
GOOD:
-Graphics aren't terrible.
-Gimmick has potential.
-Block placement is done well.

BAD:
--NO MUSIC.
-Level is relatively short.
-No midpoint.

In conclusion: Your gimmick has potential, but you can't really test it if all you do with it is make it, for lack of a better word, gimmicky. Honestly, the way it is now, you could replace the holes with doors and door warps and it would barely make any difference. Plus, there's no music. I'd say this deserves a 5/10.

Man1234FK
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby Man1234FK » Sat May 02, 2015 12:54 pm

Spoiler: show
To be fair, this level doesn't seem to emphasize the Venus Fire Traps over any other enemy, or even more than any other level. Honestly, Volcano Lotus Mountain would have been a better name since there are easily more Volcano Lotuses than Venus Fire Traps.
Man1234FK wrote:about the music, i just didn't find anything fitting for it
...did you even try? You know, we have a thread for this. Anyway, here's my recommendation:

Anyway, my review:

This level is kinda meh. Not only is there no music, but the "gimmick" being tested is nowhere near fully realized, or even built upon enough to make much difference; it's just kinda there. The only thing close to clever that you did was the location of the hole in Section 9, but even that feels like you're still building up to the truly clever part, which never comes. Plus, the level itself is too short and too mediocre to hold up on its own, despite there being maybe one or two clever NPC placements. Also, there's no midpoint, and the Jumpin' Piranha Plant in Section 2 is touching the border of the section, so it won't spawn.

By the way, the invisible coin block at the beginning killed me since I didn't know it was there; I recommend removing it and making another hole that leads to the first dragon coin.

Summary:
GOOD:
-Graphics aren't terrible.
-Gimmick has potential.
-Block placement is done well.

BAD:
--NO MUSIC.
-Level is relatively short.
-No midpoint.

In conclusion: Your gimmick has potential, but you can't really test it if all you do with it is make it, for lack of a better word, gimmicky. Honestly, the way it is now, you could replace the holes with doors and door warps and it would barely make any difference. Plus, there's no music. I'd say this deserves a 5/10.
Thanks for the review!
I didn't know there was a thread for level music :o i'll be sure to use it in the future! Also thanks for the recommendation, i'll put that into the level later!
I agree that the gimmick wasn't used to it's full potential, if i use it in a future level i'll make sure it is.

Return to “Average”