A World Without Color

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: :)
Pronouns: He/Him

A World Without Color

Postby Yoshi021 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:07 pm

This is the level I submitted for CC12. This level got 48th place. This level has a gimmick where the level continuous disappears.
Judges Review
Spoiler: show
48. Yoshi021 - A World without Color (5.36/10)
Chad (8.0/10)
This is actually an incredible gimmick. I can't imagine the effort it must have taken to pull this off. The layout is mostly pretty simple with occasional complex obstacles thrown in, but when the world is disappearing piece by piece before your eyes, you really don't need the actual construction to be too elaborate. It quickly becomes apparent that a steady pace is required of the player to keep up with what's happening, but for the most part everything's pretty well balanced. There are a few points at which you might not know there's a tiny hole until the visual indication has already vanished, or there's a solid block where you're not expecting it, but overall the level does quite well. It'll probably take a few tries, but while the level is hard, I didn't find anything to be unreasonable. I appreciate that the later buildings even begin decaying after earlier ones, as it's a much needed form of mercy for this level. It's also pretty short, which makes it easier to give the added patience.
ElTipsta (5.0/10)
So the first thing that greets me upon playing this level are 1x1 pixel cloud BGOs. Yeah, not a good choice there. However, this level has a really interesting atmosphere and mechanic present, where the levels bricks progressively become more invisible over time, meaning it becomes a memory game. I really like the idea, however not only will the player be screwed after a while if they take too long (there are pits in this level), especially later on, meaning a lot of trial and error is needed to play this. This isn't helped by some questionable NPC placements let the side down. For example, the first Hammer Bro throws it's hammers firectly on the ledge the player needs to climb up to get across. The timing is very tight, to the point where it's unfair. I would suggest removing the Hammer Bro or lowering the ledge on the right. Overall this level has a great idea behind it. But it's execution not so good. Good shot though :)
Quill (6.8/10)
This one was kinda cool. The gimmick's pretty unique but it adds a lot to the level. For me, it forced me to stay fast so I could keep up with the surroundings before they vanished. Slowing down was a bit of a punishment but I still thought it was cool, though a bit short-lived.
Shinbison-Kof (2.0/10)
It's a strange level. The only interesting thing is the blocks and temples disappearing. Unfortunately this level has bad level design. Everything is tight and doesn't have any dynamism. Further it has a lot of npc spam and places with difficult jumps. I saw this level as very empty, barren of power-ups, bgos etc. Overall is a stressful level.
Valtteri (5.0/10)
I feel like the only purpose of this level was to set me on a mood, with the dialogue about music and colors or something in the beginning. The level itself was nothing more than casual sidescrolling with maybe a couple of inconveniently placed Thwomps that I would stupidly spin jump on and die because they would lift me into a hole in the ceiling. I suppose the gimmick where the level would turn invisible block by block was unique but it was so slow it brought no challenge. Overall it felt like the level tried to be a piece of art more than a Mario level. Some sort of poem about music and color.
Screenshots
Spoiler: show
Inb4 people ask where the is song is from.

Download
Last edited by Yoshi021 on Sun May 15, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: A World Without Color (CC12)(Not tier 1 or 2)

Postby as303298 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:14 am

-Edit-

Unlocked.

glitch4
Banned

Re: A World Without Color (CC12)(Not tier 1,2, or 3)

Postby glitch4 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:54 am

An okay level. Weird gimminick, but I like it. It could've been longer and had a midpoint.

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Re: A World Without Color (CC12)

Postby Yoshi021 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:36 pm

glitch4 wrote:An okay level. Weird gimminick, but I like it. It could've been longer and had a midpoint.
Well, the length of the level was because of the song. I wanted for the whole level to disappear once the song was finished, and I placed the ending where I thought where the song will end if you played the level for the first time.

Also a few things.
How many NPCs really placed incorrectly?
Valtteri wrote:a couple of inconveniently placed Thwomps
Shinbison-Kof wrote:it has a lot of npc spam
What is a 1x1 Pixel?
ElTipsta wrote:1x1 pixel cloud BGOs. Yeah, not a good choice there.

So, who should I trust more Chad or Shinbison-Kof?

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:59 am

The pixels that SMBX graphics are 2x2 instead of 1x1 like everything else. When graphics that have 1x1 pixels are mixed with SMBX's graphics, it usually looks bad.

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Yoshi021 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:46 pm

So thats what it is. I can't really create graphics, so what I did was find one of the background2 and simply crop out the cloud portion. Then I reduced the size. Know I know for next time. I guess I did an okay job on this level, with one person thinking it was amazing, and another thinking it was utter trash. Atleast my level was kinda memorable with the gimmick.

Return to “Pretty Good”