Desertus Pyramis

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Duster
Bit
Bit

Desertus Pyramis

Postby Duster » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:11 am

Hello there dear forum users and those who are guests, i hope you are all having a good day.

This is my first level ( that got released to public) and it revolves around exploring and the good ol' platforming at times. Does that mean it only consists of these? Of course not,see for yourself.

Here,take a look at this nice screenshot of Desertus Pyramis.

Now now, i'll be honest. I am very proud of this level and i am hoping i will take a good grade from this level, i hope you enjoy the level like me too!
Spoiler: show
Some behind the scenes information for those who are curious,this level has gone through MANY changes and there were a lot of unused content before i had to delete them because of overflowing,i doubt there is much to explore in level editor any more.
Also for those who are wondering,the name of the level is Latin.

Now it is your turn! I am waiting for all of you guys' reviews.

Download Link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/eugwk ... sertus.zip

Credits:

- Desert Tileset by Enjl
-SMB2 & 3 Expanded by Sednaiur
-Custom Pipes by ? ( I'll check it when i get on my computer)

If i forgot anybody in this list, i am very sorry! Just mention it and i will add your name in the list.
Last edited by Duster on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Desertus Pyramis

Postby Emral » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:15 am

I went ahead and fixed the image for you. I recommend taking screenshots of the size 800x600 in the future, though. Just make sure to not stretch the level window.

Duster
Bit
Bit

Postby Duster » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:17 am

Enjl wrote:I went ahead and fixed the image for you. I recommend taking screenshots of the size 800x600 in the future, though. Just make sure to not stretch the level window.
Alright,thanks. I will make sure to make good use out of your advice.

Duster
Bit
Bit

Postby Duster » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:02 pm

Cleaned some bugs/clashes, the level shouldn't have any problems now.

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:05 am

My Review:
Note- Nice to see someone who uses Latin in the level names. I am surprised I've never seen someone else do this.

Atmosphere [5/5]
While I admit didn't add too much to the level, I find that everything pertaining to the atmosphere was spot on. This is only doubled by the music choice, which only keeps the player excited. I admit, the beginning of the level is painfully dull, but this is only because I hate having to explore (personal preference). But the music you chose only made me want to stay in the section in order to keep listening to it. So, kudos.

Level Design [3/5]
There are two big issues I have with the level, it's length and difficulty.
Let's touch the length:
-This level took me 11 minutes, on camera, to beat. I am sorry man, but this is way too much time to expect a normal player to play a level. Typically keep a level between 2 to about 8 minutes involved unless it is for an episode, in which case rules are generally overlooked depending on the designer. Not to mention, there is so much to explore that I am not entirely sure which was is the "right" way to go, so the player is constantly lost despite never being lost. I recommend adding in some signs in order to let the player choose whether to explore or not in the first section. Finally, apparently there is a completely hidden-away section that I couldn't figure out how to get into without cheating. I must say this level is great but falls victim to one of my signature quotes: a designer needs to learn when to simply stop placing blocks.
Let's touch the difficulty:
-As for the pyramid, this is just too long with way too many gimmicks present. While I don't have an issue with people placing gimmicks, you used too many. You have to go through about three unique sections just after the midway point just to reach the end of the level. Not to mention, this is still artificial level extensions being put to use: meaning to force the player to take a sidepath in order to use the main path. I find this type of design rather lazy, even though you did entertain me quite nicely. But, my issue doesn't stem from the fact it was used but the lack of consideration if a player dies during these segments. If you make one mistake, you have to do ALL of it all over again, which is horribly cruel.
-If you intend on making such a long level, make it pathetically easy to help compensate the overabundance of obstacles being thrown at the player.

Graphical Continuity [4/5]
To an untrained eye most wouldn't have seen the issues regarding your tileset, but I noticed two issues.
-Your slopes do not mix into the tileset at all.
-The lava doesn't mix with anything in this level. I honestly don't understand how lava can co-exist with sand and sandstones, let alone why it needs to be in the level.

BGO Placement [5/5]
No issues whatsoever.

NPC Placement [4/5]
I would've had no issues in this field if it wasn't for the lack fo coins.
The level doesn't really use coins after the first section, which seriously bothered me. There is so much empty space when you realise the lack of coins in the pyramids.

Difficulty Replayability [3/5]
Level is unique, and interesting..but it is so long that I probably won't play this again. Certainly is one of those reluctantly played levels in episodes. Where it is super cool, but drags on for too long and leaves a "meh" impression.
Not a bad level, but you need to really work on how long a level should be.

Overall Score: 24/30
Final Score: 8/10
Judgement: Pretty Good
Video:
Original Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaFLp18TvTk

Duster
Bit
Bit

Postby Duster » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:40 am

Hello, thanks for your review. I'd also like to put my opinions about your review.

1. Atmosphere

Glad you liked the music! They are all from MOTHER 3 in case anyone is wondering.

2.Level Design

There are two parts i agree with, and two parts i don't.

Now i agree the level is LONG, in fact it overflowed at some point. But i think the theme change from the first part to second part ( and the hidden third of course) keeps the level fresh.

Also the pyramid lacks a decent amount of coins, not much to say here.

Although i don't agree with sidepaths being lazy, I was inspired with Tomb Raider while making them. What is wrong with making seperate sections from the hub to open a path? I'd agree if those sections were boring,but they add new elements such as the vine section and the risky platforming section (both which didn't exist in the level before). If there is something wrong about them that would be (maybe) adding too many gimmicks as you said or the vine part being TOO HARD. Heh,you wouldn't believe how hard it was before i updated it.

Also the desert part is actually made after the Pyramid so it is more professional.

As for the 'getting lost' part, that is also something i don't agree with. You can just keep going right to reach the pipe. The first section was meant to be explored, and if you don't like exploring i can say the first section wouldn't fit your tastes.

Not much to say about rest of your review as i agree with them.

Thanks for taking your time by writing a review by the way! I'd be glad to see a video of my level so i can see how you or others play my level.
Last edited by Duster on Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

as303298
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby as303298 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:25 am

Duster wrote:Hello, thanks for your review. I'd also like to put my opinions about your review.

1. Atmosphere

Glad you liked the music! They are all from MOTHER 3 in case anyone is wondering.

2.Level Design

There is one part i agree with, and two parts i don't.

Now i agree the level is LONG, in fact it overflowed at some point. But i think the theme change from the first part to second part ( and the hidden third of course) keeps the level fresh.

REST OF MY COMMENT VANISHED FOR SOME REASON, I WILL ADD THEM BACK WHEN I GET ON MY PC.
No I dont disagree, it was a great change of pace. But, you expect the player to deal with everything in one fell swoop and not die. This gets irritating on top of how long the level already is, hence my comments.

Duster
Bit
Bit

Postby Duster » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:51 am

Updated my message.

Return to “Pretty Good”