Green SMW land - UPDATE! (1.1)

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Green SMW land - UPDATE! (1.1)

Postby Cedrik » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:47 pm

UPDATE! (Thabk for the feedback!)

This is a vanilla level [no custon tiles].

I try to make a good Level with something spezial, what is not in every Level, like
Spoiler: show
-blocks, they switch from yellow boxes to note blocks and back
and
-rooms, where you must do something spezial (only 2)
I use:
-SMW tiles (most)
-a checkpoint :)
Screenshots:
Downloard (with update!): https://www.dropbox.com/s/zv8rinh24ne4sss/Lvl.zip?dl=0

Have a lot fun with the level :D .
Last edited by Cedrik on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Re: Green SMW land

Postby Mable » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:36 pm

Did you plan making a pure smw level? If yes why did you use smb3 water

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:Did you plan making a pure smw level? If yes why did you use smb3 water
I want to make a SMBX-vanilla level in the style of SMW, but it is SMBX, so I find the SMB3 water is better. It lokks much more better than the SMW water.

Zipper
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Zipper » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:51 pm

Here comes a....uh.....review?

Gameplay : ?/10

First of all,....ah, forget this.

Look, I'm sorry but this isn't good at all. It starts off fine, seemingly a normal SMW level, kind of like what you'd see in Donut Plains.

But then it gets ATROCIOUS.

The FIRST challenge you gave the player is "jump between two large spikes onto a MOVING koopa shell and then land!". I died 3 times to that. Died 3 times to a hazard 15 seconds into the level. That is NOT reasonable. Make it easier, much easier.
Immediately after that, you're given a Yoshi for some platform riding, cool. Except the platform button is over a fence, and that tends to get a little buggy sometimes, so I died 3 times to THAT too. Great! 6 deaths in what, 2 minutes? Anyway, we do some small riding, pretty nice, then suddenly...

Switch Blocks.Over a death pit.With NO SOUND WARNING. Oh my GOD I want to cry. Do NOT do this. People aren't calculators, they won't imagine 3,5 seconds in their heads. Give a noise or something. This is UTTERLY unacceptable and I'd rather you trashed it and replaced with something else.

The enemy gauntlet was pretty unmemorable...one thing though: Why did you tell us to not kill the green shells? I killed 3 of them and nothing happened.

Aaaaaand it ended. How long is that with all the deaths cut out? 1 minute? Not very effective. You should look up some design examples from SMW itself if you want a more memorable design.

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:18 pm

Zipper wrote:Here comes a....uh.....review?

Gameplay : ?/10

First of all,....ah, forget this.

Look, I'm sorry but this isn't good at all. It starts off fine, seemingly a normal SMW level, kind of like what you'd see in Donut Plains.

But then it gets ATROCIOUS.

The FIRST challenge you gave the player is "jump between two large spikes onto a MOVING koopa shell and then land!". I died 3 times to that. Died 3 times to a hazard 15 seconds into the level. That is NOT reasonable. Make it easier, much easier.
Immediately after that, you're given a Yoshi for some platform riding, cool. Except the platform button is over a fence, and that tends to get a little buggy sometimes, so I died 3 times to THAT too. Great! 6 deaths in what, 2 minutes? Anyway, we do some small riding, pretty nice, then suddenly...

Switch Blocks.Over a death pit.With NO SOUND WARNING. Oh my GOD I want to cry. Do NOT do this. People aren't calculators, they won't imagine 3,5 seconds in their heads. Give a noise or something. This is UTTERLY unacceptable and I'd rather you trashed it and replaced with something else.

The enemy gauntlet was pretty unmemorable...one thing though: Why did you tell us to not kill the green shells? I killed 3 of them and nothing happened.

Aaaaaand it ended. How long is that with all the deaths cut out? 1 minute? Not very effective. You should look up some design examples from SMW itself if you want a more memorable design.
I say you do not need to kill the green shells, because it is a generator, so it were unfair to must kill them.

Ok, I make a update for the level. It will be come tomorror.

SanicHegehog
Koopa
Koopa

Postby SanicHegehog » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:02 pm

Hello there, I am Sanic, I am here to make a quicker than light review of your level.

It was really fun, at the first 12 seconds.

It looked like a regular SMW styled level, I love that music. Then, the true challenge, jump between two giant spikes in... a shell moving on more spikes... and then land perfectly fine?! Gee, that took me 5 tries, 6 if you count when I slipped while riding that crazy shell. I am a noob, but even a regular Mario player would have alittle struggle there. I see, it surely is a pure SMW level, right?

So, we get a Yoshi for some plataform thing, neat. The plataform button is over a fence, and as a noob, when I hit the button I could not get there in time, so Yoshi was riding it, but I lost him because of it. After that,, there was that thing that made me die 6 times. The switch blocks, over a pit, and no freacking sound.

So, we are given the challenge to kill all enemies underground, pretty... okay. But why we can't kill the shells? You said that it is impossible to progress when you kill them on the level, at least perant what I understand

I hope this is a constructive critic, I also hope you do not get offended, I am sure you are a great level designer! You just need some training :3

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:26 am

Cedrik wrote:I want to make a SMBX-vanilla level in the style of SMW, but it is SMBX, so I find the SMB3 water is better. It lokks much more better than the SMW water.
"but it is SMBX, so i find the smb3 water is better"

That doesn't make sense bc smb3 has the same water and smw has the same water as in smw. How is it better in smbx?
Plus if you already want to make a smw like level just use the normal smw one. It's nitpicking yeah but thats how i look at it.

goldmelonmaster
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby goldmelonmaster » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:51 am

Tinkerbell wrote:
Cedrik wrote:I want to make a SMBX-vanilla level in the style of SMW, but it is SMBX, so I find the SMB3 water is better. It lokks much more better than the SMW water.

That doesn't make sense bc smb3 has the same water and smw has the same water as in smw. How is it better in smbx?
Plus if you already want to make a smw like level just use the normal smw one. It's nitpicking yeah but thats how i look at it.
I don't think you get it. He means he likes the look of the SMB3 water more than the SMW water (which I can agree with (but I like SMB 1 water more)).

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:07 am

goldmelonmaster wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:

I don't think you get it. He means he likes the look of the SMB3 water more than the SMW water (which I can agree with (but I like SMB 1 water more)).
Everyone has a favorite water, but I chose SMB3, because the waterfals!

Q P
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Re: Green SMW land - UPDATE! (1.1)

Postby Q P » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:05 am

looks fun!!but how do i play???????

Saltlord
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: any

Postby Saltlord » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:07 am

Download the level, go to your worlds folder in your smbx folder and create a new folder. Extract the level to the folder and play the level in your editor.

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:10 am

Q P wrote:looks fun!!but how do i play???????
1. Downloard
2. open the .zip data
3. Put the .lvl data in your worlds folder in SMBX
4. open SMBX level editor
5. open the level
6. click F5 to play

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:37 am

Why put a single level in the worlds folder if you can just make a seperate one called levels.

Cedrik
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Cedrik » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:50 am

Tinkerbell wrote:Why put a single level in the worlds folder if you can just make a seperate one called levels.
Yes, but I think it is the first level, the person want to downloard.
A folder for a single level... I don't know....

Q P
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby Q P » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:30 am

thank you!ill play soon!!!

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:00 pm

Official Review of Green SMW Land

This was a pretty average vanilla level. There were many poor NPC placements, such as the Big Bill that gave the player very little warning, as well as poor coin and power-up placement some of the level seemed a bit bland without coins. It also seemed to use too many gimmicks for such a small level and some were only used once. The note block gimmick was especially annoying, due to the fact that the player often had to wait a while for the note blocks to go away and come back on. Since each of the small bits only took two or three seconds, the player sometimes had to wait five or six seconds, that feel really long, to progress. The gimmick involving destroying all of the enemies in a small section could have been much better; they were short, there were only two of them, and the placement of the NPCs was too simple to make the gimmick any fun. Most of the vanilla graphics in this level seemed to fit pretty well together. The music choice for the cave sections really didn't fit though. Overall, this level wasn't too bad, although had a few instances of poor NPC placement and the gimmicks were used too briefly.

4.8/10 (Average)

Matt_The_Slime
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Matt_The_Slime » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:41 am

This is after the updated level, but
I really liked this level!
There are some mechanics that could make a full level (if done good), such as those bouncing red blocks, or the transforming note blocks!
But, there are some things that could definitely be fixed, such as NPCs or putting more background objects
But still, this is super fun!

Return to “Average”