New Super Mario Bros Wii Raft [re-review]

Levels posted here need a lot of work before they're ready to be played.
Artemis008
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

New Super Mario Bros Wii Raft [re-review]

Postby Artemis008 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:22 pm

A tech demo that shows the use of a raft from NSMBWii

Download The Level here

Screen Shots here

UPDATE,I just added the SMW key exit back in.
Last edited by Artemis008 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CopyLeft
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: New Super Mario Bros Wii Raft

Postby CopyLeft » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:06 pm

For the screenies, download something like Lightshot. With lightshot, you can post screenies like this. http://prntscr.com/7qw0e6
Right-click the image, and choose 'open image in new tab'. The link you get from that tab can be used for {img}{/img} (replace {} with [])

Artemis008
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Artemis008 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks,that will surly come in handy!

CopyLeft
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby CopyLeft » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Okay, I've played the level now.

The whole idea for a 'raft level' is almost never used, and is very interesting. While some swaps should have been used in this level (example: raft sail), it was pretty damn good. This chasing koopas really gave the level a nice challenge, and the fact that you had the optional exit which you had to carry the key through the level was really clever!

However, this level does have flaws. Firstly, you used too many types of NPCs. What I mean by that is you used SMB3 and SMW Parakoopas, along with SMB1, SMB3, and SMW fish, and SMB1 and SMB3 Piranhas. Try to stick with one level type.
Secondly, the Piranhas coming out of nowhere was stupid. It's very unfitting and makes the level look bad.
Thirdly, the Fish-throwing Lakitu was a bad idea. The fish died randomly and some derped out, and the lakitu follows you until you are on land. It is a good concept, but it didn't work out well.
Fourthly, when you reached land, the boat just kept going. It should have stopped instead of just noclipping through the land.
Fifthly, you used SMB1 and SMB3 clouds. Try to stick to one type of cloud.
Sixthly, you used too few cloud backgrounds. Put them throughout the level.
Seventhly, you put no backgrounds on the island at the end.
Eighthly, the raft should go at different speeds throughout the level.
Ninethly, you can just ignore the raft completely. What this level needed most is a screen lock for when you get on the raft.

Overall, this level was pretty fun, but rather short. The concept of the raft is great! There were some flaws, but overall this was quite fun.

Artemis008
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Artemis008 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:33 pm

I will fix the piranhas but because i am using a 32 bit graphics pack,some objects and sprites look the same (especially the clouds) so I will not be able to fix that, and I cant figure how to get the raft to stop at a certain point without something cheesy (like a button) but again you have to remember that this was only created to present a new feature,and I will be using this in my game SMB4

CopyLeft
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby CopyLeft » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:24 pm

Fair enough.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:08 am

NSMBW raft review

Design & Gameplay: 5/10 (counts 70%)
The most of the parts have some challenge in it, which is a good thing. The raft gimmick is rare in smbx, so it's a good point to have. The fun factor is a bit higher than the average too.
The powerup vs. enemy ratio is a bit unbalanced. (need a bit more powerups) The NPC placement and variety are okay. The variety wouldn't be meh if you haven't placed the hammer bro just once and use the ones just from the main style of the level.
This level lacked of coins, you should've placed some of them. The level can be skipped if the player swims in the water, because it's not dangerous enough for demotivating the player to swim through the level, you should make it a bit more dangerous. The placement of piranhas was kinda weird too, random blocks aren't too good for placing them. (only pipes and quicksands are good to place piranha plants down) Also, if the player isn't swimming, he/she still can break the level with the key. (it can kill the Lakitu quickly)

Atmosphere & Visuals: 3/10 (counts 30%)
The level's music was fitting but still meh.
The level had some cutoffs, for example: on the ramp. Aside from that, I saw just minor cutoffs. But the biggest graphical flaw in this level is the: graphical clash. I know it's a vanilla, but the clash still could be avoidable. You should've used just smb3 cheep cheeps, (it wouldn't hurt the variety) and you should replace the smb1 piranhas with smb3 ones. Also, the smw and smb3 'formerly bonus' blocks are clashy too next to each other. The overall atmosphere wasn't too enjoyable.

Score: 4.4/10
Moved to 'Average'

Artemis008
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Artemis008 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:50 pm

The level just got an update,I tried to fix the multi koopa problem and I got rid of the piranha plant blocks,and I made the water more dangerous by adding A bunch of bloopers and in turn the level name was changed to "Blooper Frenzy" and I also tried to lessen the variety of fish.

glitch4
Banned

Re: New Super Mario Bros Wii Raft [re-review]

Postby glitch4 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:17 am

How do you beat this level? I stucked there where the 2 Hammer Bros are and I couldn't finish it.

Oh and btw I had fun doing this:
Spoiler: show

drmario1

Postby drmario1 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:55 am

LOLZ

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:07 am

drmario1 wrote:LOLZ
Please don't make useless posts.

drmario1

Postby drmario1 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:07 am

sorry

Artemis008
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Artemis008 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:45 pm

I forget the lock exit and I just added it back in,but the normal exit is right afterwards,

Black Mamba
Rip Van Fish
Rip Van Fish
Pronouns: They/Her

Postby Black Mamba » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:53 pm

EpicMarioBro wrote:For the screenies, download something like Lightshot. With lightshot, you can post screenies like this. http://prntscr.com/7qw0e6
Right-click the image, and choose 'open image in new tab'. The link you get from that tab can be used for {img}{/img} (replace {} with [])

or y'know, use the in program screenshot feeature

CopyLeft
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby CopyLeft » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:18 pm

Uzendayo wrote:
EpicMarioBro wrote:For the screenies, download something like Lightshot. With lightshot, you can post screenies like this. http://prntscr.com/7qw0e6

or y'know, use the in program screenshot feeature
There is a screenshot feature? Do tell.

Artemis008
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Artemis008 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:52 pm

There actuly is,but it only works if create a new folder called 'screenshots' and press F12 to use it,

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:29 am

Artemis008 wrote:the normal exit is right afterwards,

okay okay

Review of...NSMBW Raft by Artemis008

Level Design and Atmosphere

This level has.....bad design. Let's look at the cutoffs. Well, some of them are fixed, but not this. You put a bit effort for some event, so I'll give half point for that. There was some, well, nice design at the start of the level. But because this level has one section, it's not that great much. So I'll give this...

2.5/10

Gameplay

The riding part was godawful boring. It claimed 75% of this section and it's not fun.Even though there was some jumping, it's still terrible. At the end of the level, I can't beat the normal exit, because this. I've said back that you should fix it, but no, you didn't. AT LEAST I can get the secret exit (the keyhole is in offscreen) with a key, but, abyway, because of boring part that took over a minute, I'll give this...

1/10

Averaged Score: 1.75/10

Tip for you: make sure to test a level before releasing it!

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:37 pm

glitch4 wrote:How do you beat this level? I stucked there where the 2 Hammer Bros are and I couldn't finish it.

Oh and btw I had fun doing this:
Spoiler: show
That is a very useful glitch actually! Thank you!

Artemis008
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Artemis008 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:18 pm

I have ended work on this level,you can do what ever you want with it,i don't want it!

Return to “The Trash Can”