Something you didn't know about a video game, video game franchise or video game character

This is the place for video games!
Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Something you didn't know about a video game, video game franchise or video game character

Postby Cedur » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:47 am

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:48 am
Cigarettes wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:21 am
Wario is or was Mario's cousin
Where did you dig up that from?

Some fandom wikis claim it. Wario's official wikipedia page doesn't mention it.

Cigarettes
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Re: Something you didn't know about a video game, video game franchise or video game character

Postby Cigarettes » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:59 pm

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:48 am
Cigarettes wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:21 am
Wario is or was Mario's cousin
Where did you dig up that from?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GUt99Zh5vc 0:40 --time tag. only nintendo power said it back in the day though shit always gets changed over time when they add new shit in. you should see how dr robotnik became eggman tisk tisk on that...no more animal holocaust story either that was pretty dope sonic satam was the best.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:10 pm

Cigarettes wrote:you should see how dr robotnik became eggman tisk tisk on that

not even related to Nintendo lol

anyway I don't really care at all

Cigarettes
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Cigarettes » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Cedur wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:10 pm
Cigarettes wrote:you should see how dr robotnik became eggman tisk tisk on that

not even related to Nintendo lol

anyway I don't really care at all
what sounds better to you though a bastard cousin or some doppleganger?

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:56 pm

Did y'all know that Final Fantasy I, II, & IV was actually ported to a Japan-only handheld system called the Bandai Wonderswan? Well now you know!

Still surprised that Square didn't port them to GBC!

SimmondsSuperSponge
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: SMWC to SMBX (MyGFXPack)

Postby SimmondsSuperSponge » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:48 am

Somehow, this image is in the files of Rugrats: Time Travelers for the GameBoy Color
This is a reference to a case where Microsoft got accusations for monopolistic practices

DiamondDude
Bit
Bit
Flair: Bowser Main

Postby DiamondDude » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:51 am

Apparently, how the mini goombas in SMB3 worked, is that they put an invisible, empty coin block above mario.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Postby krakin » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:35 am

SimmondsSuperSponge wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:48 am
Somehow, this image is in the files of Rugrats: Time Travelers for the GameBoy Color
Spoiler: show
This is a reference to a case where Microsoft got accusations for monopolistic practices
This is the best joke ever

SimmondsSuperSponge
Dolphin
Dolphin
Flair: SMWC to SMBX (MyGFXPack)

Postby SimmondsSuperSponge » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:16 am

Rhosty wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:35 am
SimmondsSuperSponge wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:48 am
Spoiler: show
This is the best joke ever
Believe it or not, that is actually true. Also the company that made the game got blamed 1 day after the release of the game.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:27 pm

I learn that "something" from watching Vinesauce Joel's stream of Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins:

Did ya know that (Nintendo) only used the Bunny Mario form once and never used that form again in future classical Mario titles because parents complaint about the bunny form looks too much like a playboy bunny*? How sad imo!

*I thought that sounds very silly, as I don't see anything about bunny Mario that makes is similar to a playboy bunny tbh.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:37 am

This is a pretty interesting thing about not a video game/video game franchise/video game character, but a programmable sound generator chip* used in some consoles and handhelds:

Did ya know that the original SEGA Master System, Mega Drive/Genesis, Game Gear systems and the SNK Neo Geo Pocket (Both original and color) used the same 8-bit/16-bit sound generator chip? Well know you know!

*The sound chip is called the Texas Instruments SN76489, used in many old school consoles

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:04 am

Question: Can we also include facts about video game composers in this thread? If so, then here's something some of ya SMBX members didn't know:

Did ya know that Yoko Shimomura (Y'all know, the composer for the Kingdom Hearts, + Mario & Luigi RPG series) compose for the CPS1 version of Street Fighter II?

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:47 pm

Did y'all SMBX members know that Sonic the Hedgehog 2's launch day (Excluding launch day in Japan & Korea) is a holiday celebrating SEGA's biggest event for the Genesis know as "Sonic2Day" in November 24, 1992*? Heard about that from PatMac on YouTube!

*Which takes place on a Tuesday, just a fun fact to add. ^^"

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:54 am

Did ya know that Wario was supposed to make his first game debut on the Sega Genesis, in partnership with (Nintendo) & Sega? Just because Wario's farts would sound better in the Genesis sound engine.

Read this tweet

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:01 pm

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:54 am
Did ya know that Wario was supposed to make his first game debut on the Sega Genesis, in partnership with (Nintendo) & Sega? Just because Wario's farts would sound better in the Genesis sound engine.

Read this tweet
You really gotta stop believing all those satire tweets...

https://web.archive.org/web/20080603115 ... rtid=10570
https://web.archive.org/web/20080523095 ... icleid=482

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:34 pm

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:54 am

Read this tweet
More evidence asides from one tweet? I'm a bit skeptical.

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:29 am

Don’t believe everything on Social Media is what I say.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:45 am

Wanna know something pretty interesting about the 1981 (Nintendo) arcade game, Donkey Kong? Lemme tell ya:

Did ya know that the 3 characters from Donkey Kong 1 (Jumpman, Pauline, & Donkey Kong)* were based off characters from Popeye the Sailor Man? And the game was originally planned as another Popeye arcade game. But due to licensing issues, they couldn't, so the staff made up their own characters for this arcade game instead.

*With Jumpman originally being Popeye, Pauline originally being Olive Oyl, and Donkey Kong originally being Bluto.

PdizzleParker
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: doin your mom
Pronouns: they/them

Postby PdizzleParker » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Apparently, in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, Nabbit's voice was changed from the original Wii U version. I don't really understand why; I thought the old voice was fine.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:34 am

Here's 2 little somethings that I find very interesting in video games that I would like to share with y'all:
  • In the Gameboy Color port of the beloved 32-bit anime arcade fighting game, Street Fighter Alpha, you can play as the secret characters*, Akuma & M. Bison, in that game. Expect you gotta do 1 of the input codes on the character select screen in reverse, AND press both A & B with good timing. I should know, I actually did the Akuma code by accident today. And I learned that from a comment on YouTube.
  • Did y'all know that the Street Fighter character, Dan Hibiki, was added as a official character just as a parody of 1 of the SNK's fighting game characters? :lol:

*Yeah, Clawfish didn't add Dan Hibiki in the GBC port, just a little bonus information to add. ^^"

Return to “Video Games”