Bucket Fresh Studios presents SUPER MARIO FRESH! ( In development series )

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.
MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Re: Bucket Fresh Studios presents SUPER MARIO FRESH! ( In development series )

Postby MUFASA RKG » Sun May 15, 2016 9:02 am

I def don't mind nitpicking and honesty, it would help if I learn from it all.

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: :)
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: NEW UPDATES AND VIDEO DEMO!

Postby Yoshi021 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:35 am

Spoiler: show
There are too many sceneries on the ice blocks and some of those sceneies are floating. There is also a tower of blue SMB2 bushes that does not look good.

How do you get the star without dying(unless if there is more level below)

Unless its plot related, change the thwomp color or change it to a toad since players might not know its friendly.

There is cutoff on the slopes at the right.

There is cutoff on the dirt blocks on the right.

Change the SMB3 spikes to SMW spikes

There is a glitch in the game where the player can force itself into a smaller area and clip through it. The blocks on the left from where Mario is standing make sure to add a block there.

Don't mix the pillars like that. Change the SMW ghost pillars to SMB3 pillars.

Amazing improvement, but there some cutoff on the right slopes

cutoff on slopes

cutoff on slopes

cutoff on slopes

cutoff on top of the SMW door
Here is my summary of things to fix(Sorry if it isn't very detailed).There has definitively been an amazing improvement on your levels design. Keep it up.

TDK
Foo
Foo
Flair: Retired

Postby TDK » Sun May 15, 2016 11:39 am

The project is improving, but custom GFX would be very helpful.
http://www.smbxgame.com/graphics.php
Also, you can upload some of your levels to the level subforum, if you want a review.

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MUFASA RKG » Sun May 15, 2016 1:20 pm

I am having trouble uploading the GFX. It isn't easy as I thought.

mariogeek2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby mariogeek2 » Sun May 15, 2016 3:27 pm

MUFASA RKG wrote:I am having trouble uploading the GFX. It isn't easy as I thought.
What do you mean by "uploading"? Are you trying to put GFX in your level, upload some to the graphics forum, or make some?

Adding custom GFX to a level is simple. Just put the graphic you want in your level in the level's folder.

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

NEW GAME SCREENSHOTS!

Postby MUFASA RKG » Sun May 15, 2016 4:04 pm

I apologize when I mentioned "uploading" GFX I had downloaded, I meant I'm having troubling installing them into the game within itself. There was mention of creating level folders but I only created a Hub level from where the game starts from and connects with other levels I have created which would be the other 50 I have done so far. All fits under my world folder which how I play test the game but still from it's root program folder from my C; drive ( programs ) folder. So i can't even see the levels I created on the desktop explorer folder, let alone play it on other computers. However I've tested ways and notice by saving an copy folder of the game outside the install programs folder, they do read and I can see the levels themselves without opening the game. Still no clue to how to make the engine read from the new GFX easily.

I've took some more screenshots and these are from the BROOKYLN CITY area and GOOMBA VILLAGE. Gonna take a few hours break to take on some more game playing on Paper Mario 64 which some of the elements and ideas come from that game story, ( somewhat ) and other rare Japanese films I take much interest from to build my current story. This storyline for this episode will connect to other further planned episodes I'm story boarding but this fits into the timeline right after "SUPER PRINCESS PEACH" and "SUPER MARIO LAND 2". Eventually down the line, with permission, the story will tie into other episodes from my favorite ones to play.

Have a show gig coming up this Wednesday in Rhode Island so it will be a busy week,
Last edited by PixelPest on Tue May 17, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoilered Images

mariogeek2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Re: NEW GAME SCREENSHOTS!

Postby mariogeek2 » Sun May 15, 2016 11:54 pm

MUFASA RKG wrote:I apologize when I mentioned "uploading" GFX I had downloaded, I meant I'm having troubling installing them into the game within itself. There was mention of creating level folders but I only created a Hub level from where the game starts from and connects with other levels I have created which would be the other 50 I have done so far. All fits under my world folder which how I play test the game but still from it's root program folder from my C; drive ( programs ) folder. So i can't even see the levels I created on the desktop explorer folder, let alone play it on other computers. However I've tested ways and notice by saving an copy folder of the game outside the install programs folder, they do read and I can see the levels themselves without opening the game. Still no clue to how to make the engine read from the new GFX easily.
I think I may know your problem. Every single level in SMBX is a .lvl file. When you save a level for the first time, a new .lvl file is created wherever you saved it with whatever name you gave it. If you want to add custom graphics to a level, you make (or obtain from somewhere, such as a gfx pack) a .gif file with the same name as the item you want to replace, and put it in a folder with the same name as the level (making sure that the folder containing the graphics is in the same folder as the level).

I wouldn't recommend that you start making graphics yet, as you're still a beginner and there's so many gfx out there I'm sure whatever you want to make has already been made, but if you truly want to start making some, here's a tutorial vid. on YT:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlVNf4wlD3c. The popular program people use for making GFX for SMBX is Paint.net, which you can find here:http://www.getpaint.net/index.html. There's some other programs out there that people like to use, but nobody uses Windows Paint, as the graphics become real glitchy when loaded into SMBX.

Anyways, I think one of the reasons you can't seem to get the GFX to work is because of a quirk of windows computers. If you save a file in the programs (regular or x86) folder, the file is actually saved in the AppData folder, which is like a parallel dimension folder to the programs' folders and normally hidden from desktop explorer. When you go to open it up with the program you created/saved it with, it'll magically appear and seem like it's in the programs folder, but that's an illusion. If you go looking for it with windows explorer in the folder it's supposed to be in, you can't find it, because it's actually in the AppData folder. That's why you can see levels outside of the programs folders.

To access the levels hidden in the AppData folder, follow the instructions in the link:http://www.pcworld.com/article/2690709/ ... ed-it.html. My suggestion is to redownload SMBX into a non-programs folder. Then you'll be able to add C-GFX to levels in the World folder, and it'll be easier to gain access to the level files when you need to upload them to the forums.

I hope my advice helps you. Have a wonderful time creating this episode. :D !

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MUFASA RKG » Mon May 16, 2016 12:18 pm

I'm catching up to what you are saying and makes sense since windows has some weird admin rights on the main root folders of programs. If I reinstall the program, do I have to install it in "programs folder" for it to run correctly or can be installed elsewhere? Also The levels I have already created, I make sub folders for example, "level1" < which that is the level 1 folder. Does the level1.lvl file go in that folder or outside from in within the World or "episode" folder?

TDK
Foo
Foo
Flair: Retired

Postby TDK » Mon May 16, 2016 12:48 pm

MUFASA RKG wrote:I'm catching up to what you are saying and makes sense since windows has some weird admin rights on the main root folders of programs. If I reinstall the program, do I have to install it in "programs folder" for it to run correctly or can be installed elsewhere? Also The levels I have already created, I make sub folders for example, "level1" < which that is the level 1 folder. Does the level1.lvl file go in that folder or outside from in within the World or "episode" folder?
You can install SMBX elsewhere .
The level file should be outside the level folder.

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MUFASA RKG » Mon May 16, 2016 12:59 pm

Thank you, appreciate that.

mariogeek2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby mariogeek2 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:13 pm

MUFASA RKG wrote:I'm catching up to what you are saying and makes sense since windows has some weird admin rights on the main root folders of programs. If I reinstall the program, do I have to install it in "programs folder" for it to run correctly or can be installed elsewhere? Also The levels I have already created, I make sub folders for example, "level1" < which that is the level 1 folder. Does the level1.lvl file go in that folder or outside from in within the World or "episode" folder?
What DinoKing said. SMBX runs just fine anywhere you put it (usually), even in the desktop. And, yes, the level file goes outside. The level folder, in base SMBX 1.3.0.1, is just for custom graphics. .lvl files and custom music goes in the episode folder.

Be sure to let me know if you manage to get the custom graphics to work!

Enchlore
Spike
Spike

Postby Enchlore » Tue May 17, 2016 1:33 pm

These more recent screenshots are definitely an improvement. Stacking random backgrounds and blocks over each other without much care about whether they work together in a visually appealing way is not a good idea. This way it looks much cleaner, but now it highlights how empty the levels feel. As in, they look like huge areas where you don't do a lot of stuff besides running a lot and occasionaly meeting an enemy. I suggest sketching your level on a piece of paper before building it on SMBX, this way you'll let your ideas flow much faster and get a better idea of how you want it to play. Looking at levels you like and seeing what makes them enjoyable can also help (keep in mind that I'm not saying you should exactly copy what makes that level work).

I'll admit I decided to give some feedback because I'm also a freelance graphic designer and a musician on my free time. ;)

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

NEW GAME SCREEN SHOTS AND GFX ADDED SUCCESS!

Postby MUFASA RKG » Tue May 17, 2016 9:25 pm

Thank you for the help on adding custom graphics a lot mariogeek. I tested after few hours and re installing the program elsewhere on my C drive. I'm currently using VALATTERI custom packs for BOWSER VALLEY level which I'm working on to complete within the next few days so that way I can submit to be rated and review for testing. Hopefully for the first time game play, I will hope to get the response I get either to improve or hear it is coming out well. I will never know unless I post a level for review so for this entry, I will be using BOWSER VALLEY which is far in the game but not the ending or that close in, normally it would be a level that requires at least 67 - 70 stars to enter out of 150 stars in the game. Only 90 stars to complete the game and entry to final boss.

Hey thanks for your input Enchlore. Good to see other freelancers on the forum as well as take part in music. What type of graphics you do and what type of music are you into? I know some of the previous screenshots I had posted look kinda bland but those where areas from a level called BROOKYLN CITY in which you will be able to find and unlock a level in the game that takes you to New York where they are originally from. Why they want to go back is revealed in the story. However I understand too bleh of design and simple enemies but that level is not meant to be dangerous expect for the few bosses if you run into them. Only a few enemies leave a threat in the building besides the fact the apartment building is abandoned. ( Lugi have an house in Mushroom Kingdom now and Mario has an Castle. ) I love the storyboard idea to construct my levels by means of drawing first which I have been doing more and is a good idea to get better.

The screenshots below are from BOWSER and MYSTIC VALLEY levels. In the game later on, you would have to backtrack back to Mystic Valley to enter Bowser's Valley. You will probably still notice minor cutoffs and clash as some levels once again are previous designs before good advice started coming in. Its hard not to make levels "overexciting" but doing research, your right, maybe slow it down a little, at least to true Mario fans.

Last edited by PixelPest on Tue May 17, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoilered Images, Removed Off-topic Links

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Legalize Awooo!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Tue May 17, 2016 9:32 pm

- Clouds in the factory looks weird, it doesn't make any sense tbh.
- The SMW cave level screens looks neat! Although i could see some cutoffs at the 5th screen.
- Untick "auto align" to put a bush correctly (look at the last screen)

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MUFASA RKG » Tue May 17, 2016 9:37 pm

I was attempting an "Freezer Box". That is why I added smb 1 clouds. Doesn't work? Thank you fro your input.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Tue May 17, 2016 9:46 pm

MUFASA RKG wrote:
Please stay on-topic in this thread. There's other places to talk about music, just not here. Also make sure you put spoilers around large groupings of images as I have done.
MUSAFA RKG wrote:VALATTERI
This has to be one of the worst butcherings of Valtteri's name I have ever seen...

mariogeek2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby mariogeek2 » Tue May 17, 2016 10:38 pm

Well done, Mufasa Rkg, or Bucket Fresh, or whatever you want to be called. You've definitely improved. I bet those custom gfx helped a lot, right?

Anyways, your SMW cave level is looking pretty good. You're getting a firm grasp of how to make good-looking levels now. But the SMB2 Ice chest level thingy is not what most users would consider "proper use of gfx". It's nowhere near as bad as your first levels, and I can see the look you were trying to achieve. You're doing two things wrong most new users do wrong: either going over/underboard with the BGOs, and mixing blocks that don't look good together. But it isn't that big of a deal. And your newest levels, while not winning any contests graphically, do look like a lot of fun gameplay and platforming wise. Keep up the good work!

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MUFASA RKG » Wed May 18, 2016 10:46 am

MUSAFA RKG wrote:VALATTERI
This has to be one of the worst butcherings of Valtteri's name I have ever seen...[/quote]

Ouch...My apologies. Foolish newbie mistakes. Also I will not provid links to my other etc.. and just the game for now on. Hopefully advertisements for the game are ok?

Are the Valley Ice House too clutter with BGO's or NPC's? I thought it look very cool and mix together like an new game. What would be the drawback besides minor cutoff's and non logical tile placement? Also the VALLEY TOY FACTORY.
Last edited by Shadow Yoshi on Wed May 18, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post. Please use the edit button next time.

mariogeek2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby mariogeek2 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:07 pm

All right, Mufasa. Here's some things I noticed that may need fixing:

1: Why so many BGOs stacked together? Also, the frozen SMB2 bush needs to be on a SMB2 bush stem. And why are you even using smb1 frozen grass poles?

2: Please don't use the SMB3 metal BGO pole or fan. Just don't (unless it's an airship level).

3: The swooper is a SMW enemy, and slightly clashes with the rest of the GFX. I think there should be a SMB3 styled/recolored Swooper somewhere, maybe in the gfx packs I linked to you.

1: The SMB3 Icey wood cuts off with the Ice cubes.

2: It's a minor annoyance, but why is the fire flower sitting there. There's something off about it.

3: Again, a SMW enemy. And, again, I think there's a SMB3 Styled/recolored version somewhere, possibly in the gfx packs I linked to you.
Here's a cold factory tileset thing from AirShip's ToB 7 Level "Freezing Frozen". Hopefully, it'll be able to help you make the freezer level look better.
https://www.mediafire.com/?h2oq8chqij1qvh1

I'm kind of short on time, so I'll go over the toy-box later. Hope this helps you!

Return to “Projects”