Bucket Fresh Studios presents SUPER MARIO FRESH! ( In development series )

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.
MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Bucket Fresh Studios presents SUPER MARIO FRESH! ( In development series )

Postby MUFASA RKG » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:00 pm

Peace and Greetings SMBX community! I've been lurking in this forum for the last couple years and decided it was time to step in and try something that can become bigger and more better as time passes for an great ( Decent ) game of Mario Bros.

I'm an freelance Graphic Designer / Painting Artist / Music Producer . Most of my past works and experience are based on doing jobs for clients on music art direction and development. Bucket Fresh Studios is an company I founded in 2004 and is in current progression with an team of like minded artist, musicians, and Designers. My focus passion for this game episode of Mario is based off the 100% original composed music for the game never heard before. So by promoting an attempt on great background and soundtrack music to go with this episode. This will be the first out of the three series of stories that comes under the titled of MARIO FRESH. Basically same gameplay and items found on the smbx engine but with our own twist.

Mind you, this game is being created by one person which would be me, I would love to team up with other level designers, beta testers, and those great with event scripting for the gameplay and story enhancements. I do apologize for this being my first post on this forum so I would like to respect all the rules and other users. Advice and comments would help me improve alot.

STORY
The Mario bros are back and this time around have been put in the middle of the Mushroom Kingdom in the Motherlands to be under havoc from bowsers two sons, Larry and Ludwig koopa. Larry took control of the kings wand but has been given greater powers than before along with his brother Ludwig to grant ruler ship of Mushroom Kingdom. Strange new creatures and hordes of koopa troops have invaded the kingdom. Mario must find out what is going on and prevent further chaos by putting an end to the Koopa Kids. Strange enough, where is bowser and who granted the sons great power control? With the help of Toad, Princess Peach and Link, the exploration of finding the answers will lead to reveal what is going on, and why is link even in the game.

-Over 60 Huge Levels
-Over 30 Huge Levels of Secrets
- Boss Levels and Crossovers
-Four Characters to Choose From
-Two Player Co-Op / Battle Mode
-Original composed music and atmosphere
-Tons of new playable items!

Game Soundtrack Included
Featuring SOUTHSIDE, LIKE NO OTHERS, MY BROTHERS KEEPERS, RON G, LURCH, KNIGHTMARE, and plenty more!

Production by MAS DELUSION
Game Script and Coding by Mufasa RKG

Full Release available by JUNE 2016!
Free Beta Testing and pre gaming available at
Bucket Fresh Recording & Art Design Studio
#ArtMusicCultureExperience

Please feel free to contact me with questions, comments or concerns. Lets play!

http://www.facebook.com/mufasarkg
http://www.facebook.com/bucketfreshstudios
http://www.bucketfreshstudios.bandcamp.com
http://www.reverbnation.com/label/bucketfreshstudios

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: Bucket Fresh Studios presents SUPER MARIO FRESH! ( In development series )

Postby Emral » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:14 pm

Y'know you can take screens by pressing F12..

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MUFASA RKG » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Thank you. Did not know this.

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

New Screenshots!

Postby MUFASA RKG » Wed May 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Peace and greetings to all. Just wanted to give an update on the game itself as I have gotten 37 levels in. All levels completed but yet, countless of hours and days spending time going back and forth correcting areas and working on game play value. Though the game is meant to be difficult and enemy challenging, but need to make sure fair game play is reasonable without impossible threats. . So far I have reach 37 completed levels in spread into Seven divided areas so far of the game, so it plays sort of like free area side scroll adventure rather than just world map and level to level game. There will be no world map yet I will be using a Hub Advance area to area for the completing the game and finding out parts of the story. So far the story and the worlds are coming together as planned. Plots reveal themselves more once you venture off to new areas of the game and finding exploration within levels them self. I know some of the areas look crazy and sorta impossible but there is much more there than the end. Obvious pits and traps become more acquainted with the game itself down the line. There are no custom GFX or special backgrounds. I'm using just the original engine itself. The main game starts in the MOTHERLANDS which doesn't replace the Mushroom Kingdom but the Mushroom Kingdom is part of the Main Motherland along with different areas and kingdoms. The first world area is the GRASSY FIELDS followed by BRICKLAND CITY, then on to MUSHROOM KINGDOM CASTLE ( Not Mushroom kingdom yet ) THE CHERRY HILLS, PIPE LAND, GOOMBA VILLAGE, and MYSTIC VALLEY. Once again the game is not even close to done as these areas of just the beginning of the game. Understanding this, I expect myself to make improvements so feedback is always welcomed. Please follow and add me on Facebook or wherever. Just Google "MUFASA RKG" or "BUCKET FRESH STUDIOS".

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Wed May 04, 2016 7:57 pm

Why is it rated T?

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MUFASA RKG » Wed May 04, 2016 8:13 pm

Suggestive themes and some foul language. Some content is subliminal pop references.

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

MORE NEW ADDITIONAL SCREENSHOTS OF DEVELOPMENT

Postby MUFASA RKG » Thu May 05, 2016 11:06 am

Just took some more additional screenshots based of the early game development. Didn't want to reveal too much of what is going on but rather to give of what the level designs are looking like. Much corrections in areas are needed but is in progress. I will soon be taking some video recording sessions of levels to give more an inside feel. Right now currently, I'm still creating back now on the Hub Overall main land. Feedback and questions are always welcome!

http://www.bucketfreshstudios.bandcamp.com
http://www.reverbnation.com/label/bucketfreshstudios

Mario_and_Luigi_55
Spike
Spike

Postby Mario_and_Luigi_55 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:10 am

My eyes are bleeding! Too much style mixing!

I have no idea what is supposed to be in the place that is the red question mark.

Also, how do you survive that many enemies?

Sorry, but it's not the best. I'm just honest
Last edited by Mario_and_Luigi_55 on Thu May 05, 2016 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Thu May 05, 2016 11:10 am

It's a pretty good effort for a first-timer, but according to the screenshots, the levels appear to have too much stuff going on in them. For example, one screenshot has you facing 2 Larrys and 2 Ludwigs. I would tone down on the detail by a lot because it's getting a bit intrusive with the level design.

Mario_and_Luigi_55
Spike
Spike

Postby Mario_and_Luigi_55 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:17 am

I marked some cutoffs too

The project looks interesting, but there's too much clash and cutoffs.

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MUFASA RKG » Thu May 05, 2016 11:22 am

I did sense that so I had to eliminate a lot of clashing and unnecessary background objects. However the duplication in certain areas are not what they seem to eye. Even though less is better at times, Only one of those enemies actually exist and hurt, the others are to play mind tricks which reveals in the game later on. With the control of the magic wand, Larry and Ludwig have the abilities to duplicate themselves at will leaving to find the true one. Meaning only the true one will hurt and can be beaten as well. Can this be a problem still with gameplay and clashing? The aim of style I am aiming for is abstract and very colorful but in a close to logical sense term. Any suggestions?

The screenshot with the water creatures are only for display and not to interact with them directly. That screenshot is taken from the Aqua Pool House in Mystic Valley where the background display would be in a sense of you walking through an aquarium.
Last edited by Shadow Yoshi on Thu May 05, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post. Please use the edit button next time.

Mario_and_Luigi_55
Spike
Spike

Postby Mario_and_Luigi_55 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:25 am

Yes, at least fix these cuttofs :)

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MUFASA RKG » Thu May 05, 2016 11:26 am

Mario_and_Luigi_55 wrote:I marked some cutoffs too

I will rework those cut offs. Try something different. Im still learning what are consider cutoffs and what are clashes. Comes with the learning experience, that you for pointing that out.

Mario_and_Luigi_55
Spike
Spike

Postby Mario_and_Luigi_55 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:28 am

MUFASA RKG wrote:

I will rework those cut offs. Try something different. Im still learning what are consider cutoffs and what are clashes. Comes with the learning experience, that you for pointing that out.

The example of clash can be this grass and cave grass at the bottom

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MUFASA RKG » Thu May 05, 2016 11:32 am

Ohh I understand. My attempt was to make some of the grass areas have within them, "dirt patches in a sense". It was done on purpose but I figured as long as I kept true to the top layer connections above ground, the tile base arrangements can be forgiven.

TDK
Foo
Foo
Flair: Retired

Postby TDK » Thu May 05, 2016 12:18 pm

MUFASA RKG wrote:

Here's an example of a cutoff:
Compared with this image:
MUFASA RKG wrote:Ohh I understand. My attempt was to make some of the grass areas have within them, "dirt patches in a sense". It was done on purpose but I figured as long as I kept true to the top layer connections above ground, the tile base arrangements can be forgiven.
You can use custom graphics:
http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... m.php?f=31

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MUFASA RKG » Thu May 05, 2016 12:29 pm

Thank you! I see the difference.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Thu May 05, 2016 3:11 pm

MUFASA RKG wrote:

Uncheck Auto Align and place the bushes a bit into thw ground so it appears that they are growing from the ground.

MUFASA RKG
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MUFASA RKG » Thu May 05, 2016 5:42 pm

Thank you all for the help so far. It's been helping me discover new ideas and more sensible designing.

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: :)
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Bucket Fresh Studios presents SUPER MARIO FRESH!

Postby Yoshi021 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:45 pm

Spoiler: show
From what I understand, you want this to be a vanilla episode(No custom Graphics), but you can't simply start mixing random tilesets of diffrent themes. This screenshot has MAJOR problems.
1) There is a tanooki suit and an ice flower next to each other, but why? The tanooki suit is a strong power-up, so it best to not be offered easily in the first levels(guessing this might be an early level in the episode). There is no need to offer two random power-ups. I recommend to keep the ice flower and delete the tanooki suit

2)Why do you have SMB3 bushes on top of each other? It looks wrong and does not make sense. This is cutoff. Unless if your idea is to have a tall bush, then what you did won't work. You will have to use custom graphics. Also, why are there bushes in a cave. Why are there clouds, cacti, and underwater blocks in a cave? Since the background is in a cave, you want your blocks and scenery to be underground theme.

3) This is not in the screenshot above, but how exactly does the "Not all enemies hurt you" mechanic work? The screenshots don't seem to have an indication of which enemies actually hurt you. If you want this mechanic to work, I suggest having the friendly NPCs have some sort of small indication that they are friendly. If not, then the player will have to guess and will result in unfair deaths.

Hopefully this helps.

Return to “Projects”