Space Star Battle 1.00

This is the place to post battle levels.
Rene0514
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Space Star Battle 1.00

Postby Rene0514 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:44 pm

Hello everybody!
I like SMBX and I thought I make a battle level. ;)
It's a star in the space with floating islands. There's 8 islands + 1 secret island on the map. That's it.
(Sorry for my bad english. :()

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I didn't picture the secret island, because... it's secret :D
Download: Have fun! ;D

Blake Izayoi
Flair: Sakuya's Husband
Pronouns: He / Him

Re: Space Star Battle 1.00

Postby Blake Izayoi » Fri May 16, 2014 9:56 am

The screenshots don't look THAT invitee...great job though.

goombaguy
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby goombaguy » Fri May 30, 2014 4:18 pm

According to the screenshots, there is a lot of clash, and no custom graphics. I would suggest recoloring the graphics to be one type of graphics. And also, there is some weird parts to it like the smb2 grass on top of the log. But I do like the idea ;).

Magna DominXus
Spike
Spike

Postby Magna DominXus » Fri May 30, 2014 4:53 pm

Oh god the clash...THE CLASH! Get some custom graphics in your level, it will look better. Also don't mix level themes like grass and castle so absentmindedly.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Fri May 30, 2014 5:00 pm

*sigh*

All of you are wrong. This level doesn't need custom GFXs. It needs improvements. Graphical improvements. It needs GFXs that fits. Not custom GFXs. Does the custom GFXs change the level design? No. Does it change the gameplay? No.

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Fri May 30, 2014 8:44 pm

Looks pretty good. I like the idea of planets with different themes, kinda like a bunch of bubbles with pieces of games in them. Nice work! Only thing to say is that water can go over blocks, so in the last screen you only need one water box (though this doesn't affect gameplay). Good job!

Blake Izayoi
Flair: Sakuya's Husband
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Blake Izayoi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:48 pm

Ice,custom GFX CAN affect the game.
Dont forget that you can whip out a notepad and change the GFX'ed enemys behavior.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:43 am

doomoocv wrote:Ice,custom GFX CAN affect the game.
Dont forget that you can whip out a notepad and change the GFX'ed enemys behavior.
I'd suggest to take a look at this topic.

Tango
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Tango » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:39 am

Well, it's okay. Sometimes clashing are horrible, but this is a space level. Because of this the clashing turn good.

I liked it. IF YOU CAN, next time use custom graphics, that make the level more beautiful. Well, Good work!

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Ice wrote:*sigh*

All of you are wrong. This level doesn't need custom GFXs. It needs improvements. Graphical improvements. It needs GFXs that fits. Not custom GFXs. Does the custom GFXs change the level design? No. Does it change the gameplay? No.
Listen to this.

I suggest choosing one theme, such as the SMW grass and only choose that tileset and/or anything that looks appealing together. This MIGHT be necessary depending on the type of level you want to make. In this case, it's likely necessary to add custom made graphics to enhance the visual quality of the level.

It's all up to you and your designing preferences. Keep in mind: Adding custom graphics doesn't improve the level!

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:33 am

Also, where is the clash apart the SMB2 grass NPC on the castle (SMB2 grass NPCs were in castles in SMB2 too) ?

CaptainCalamity
Spiny
Spiny

Postby CaptainCalamity » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:06 pm

ACTUALLY, the use of multiple games' graphic styles could be good if you used different styles for different planets! Not saying the colors should clash, but if used like I said, it could make each planet seem more independent from others than just "grass planet here, desert planet here... THERE we go! A galaxy that is somehow all based on SMW!" I usually tend to like well-working innovation.

However, I'm seeing SMB1 bricks and blocks on a SMW grass planet, SMB2 grass everywhere, and personally, this isn't a good use of multiple styles. I'd stick with SMB3 and SMW if using this sort of technique. I'd also make sure to note the purpose of using the technique in the post.

Also, no, custom graphics are never necessary, they just help put an impression upon the style. I admit, most times they are needed to make the level as best as it can be, but are they needed to make the level? No, no they are not.

RecklessAbandonGame
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby RecklessAbandonGame » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:14 am

Hello! Me and my friend got to play your level on two separate occasions, within the following two videos!

In this video, we play at around the 10:00 mark (although it didn't last long, lol...).

And in the following video we revisit it, its the very first level we play.

Most of the other comments in this thread have focused solely on the graphics alone and the clashing is something that is mentioned multiple times. In my own opinion, I actually think I know what you were going for and thought it worked out completely fine. Building the level into sections and each section represented a different Mario game.

However now I get to tell you how the level works from a gameplay standpoint (which is far more important I think). And if you watched our videos, you'll probably notice that this type of level.... isn't a good battle level at all. Sorry to say this but even though I like the ideas and the layout, it would much better fit some sort of single player level. As a battle level, it simply does not work. Majority of the time me and my friend would die by falling off cliffs or other hard to reach areas. This is fine in a normal Mario game, but it ends quickly as a battle game. Winning/losing should mostly be determined by the players, not the level. Notice how quick the match ended in the first video, compared to other battle levels.

With all that out of the way, I'll end this post by saying that I still really had fun with your level! Nice music choice and its definitely fun to mess around in, but I feel you can do better in future levels. : )

Return to “Battle Levels”