Super Mario: Shine Rush Level Preview #1

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
BrosRoad
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Pronouns: He,Him

Super Mario: Shine Rush Level Preview #1

Postby BrosRoad » Sun May 05, 2024 7:08 pm

A preview of my new upcoming Episode Super Mario: Shine Rush!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tck1Vc ... sp=sharing
Spoiler: show

Have Fun! :D

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Super Mario: Shine Rush Level Preview #1

Postby Just_Thomas » Mon May 06, 2024 6:46 am

Let me give you some feedback on this.
Firstly, you should know that the different games have very different styles. Mixing them together is sometimes really difficult without making things look strange [well to be honest, even Nintendo did it A LITTLE BIT wrong with the e-reader levels sometimes IMHO].
For instance I see a SMB3 goomba and a SMB2 Shy guy. SMB3 has more grayish colors, SMW has fewer colors, but the colors are more powerful.
If you don`t know what I mean, check out a few original examples here:
https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/index ... MarioWorld
https://vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/index ... ioAllStars
On the last picture also I see a lot of "just filled with a repeating" tile stuff. If you do stuff like that, please make sure, it does not look too bland.
If you are able to work with colors (to make looks more matching with each other) and a graphic programm, I suggest you something like this here to work with:
https://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&pa ... 1&id=30023

Actually we have a screenshots thread somewhere where people can show their work without opening a new thread on their own... but ... I can not find it again... uhm.. otherwise I would have shown you some examples.

BrosRoad
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby BrosRoad » Fri May 10, 2024 6:25 pm

Ok, thank you for the feedback, I will change that to look much better.

BrosRoad
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby BrosRoad » Sat May 11, 2024 3:59 pm

Also, if anyone could give me some stuff so that I could have achievements, please post it down here.

mariobrigade2018
Flurry
Flurry
Flair: Normie in coding who dreams of making a Mario game

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Sat May 11, 2024 7:33 pm

BrosRoad wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:59 pm
Also, if anyone could give me some stuff so that I could have achievements, please post it down here.
These resources will help.

https://docs.codehaus.moe/#/features/achievements
https://docs.codehaus.moe/#/reference/achievements

BrosRoad
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby BrosRoad » Sat May 11, 2024 7:50 pm

Thanks! I will put you in the credits for this.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Sat May 25, 2024 7:05 pm

BrosRoad wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 6:25 pm
In direct contrast I disagree almost entirely with what Just_Thomas has said. Seperating levels by gamestyle feels unnecessary, what you should focus on first is gameplay, make sure the level is fun to play & makes the player feel accomplished at the end of it. Then, if you so desire, polish up the aesthetics you've chosen after all is said and done.

We smbx users that have been around longer have spent years fighting against the stigma of "clash" that we used to abide by strictly like this. Just do what you want to do and have fun doing it.

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike

Postby Just_Thomas » Sun May 26, 2024 4:40 am

TLtimelord wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 7:05 pm
BrosRoad wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 6:25 pm
In direct contrast I disagree almost entirely with what Just_Thomas has said. Seperating levels by gamestyle feels unnecessary, what you should focus on first is gameplay, make sure the level is fun to play & makes the player feel accomplished at the end of it. Then, if you so desire, polish up the aesthetics you've chosen after all is said and done.

We smbx users that have been around longer have spent years fighting against the stigma of "clash" that we used to abide by strictly like this. Just do what you want to do and have fun doing it.
This can be easily “corrected” by adjusting the color of the sprites of certain objects. It simply looks more harmonious. I also see a lot of work by other people who probably have a similar view. For example here:
Doodoxing wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:49 pm
Episode got some updates, including a new, widescreen resolution! Thanks to Beta 5 update it is possible now.

World map got revamped tileset (mainly for reasons of better workflow), but I kept that as closest as possible in terms of prevoius version.

I designed a new HUD to fit new resolution better and item box now spawns items next to player instantly.

... or this here:
PixelHoyte wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:10 pm
Here are a few more level design ideas that I have been working on recently.

FireSeraphim wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:47 am
@PixelHoyte: I am impressed by the screenshots you've shown. I dig what you're doing.
Thank you very much! I have been following Super Mario Zeal's progress as well, awesome work.
It remains to be seen whether everyone likes this art style, but here everything seems to have been cast all of a piece.
It looks very professional, so both examples from my point.
It's the same as with the various building elements in Mario Maker. Just because they're all there doesn't mean you have to cram them all in.
Even with art, you think about what fits together. Be it colors or what you want to see when building levels, gameplay elements or tilesets.
Yes, this is my opinion of course.

(I agree with you in terms of gameplay and the fun factor through, my post was about the visual appearance)

Or if I want to include shy guys in a SMW themed / looking level I would take something like this here:
https://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&pa ... 1&id=39980
(or recolor them myself in the SMW style).

Otherwise think of food. You can hate a particular kind of food, but still it has been cooked and prepared professional.
Perhaps it is now a little more obvious what I actually wanted to say. Sometimes you need a few more words to say what you want to say.

mariobrigade2018
Flurry
Flurry

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Sun May 26, 2024 3:32 pm

Just_Thomas wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 4:40 am
An essay.
Remember that this is his episode, so if he want to use mixing art styles, then he can do that.

Just_Thomas
Spike
Spike

Postby Just_Thomas » Mon May 27, 2024 4:40 am

mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 3:32 pm
a very "useful" reply
Actually you do not even need to read this, it is once again a very long post ...

I'll be honest, most people don't get any feedback here. I do not want to judge other people for not doing that BTW (there can be several reasons: no time, not interested, no idea what to say, have done this way too often ...). And it doesn't matter to me whether Discord is so popular now or not.
If they post on the forum, why not giving them a reply? Obviously this is not everytime possible.
Maybe I just have empathy for other people. Just because this is the internet doesn't mean you have to be as emotionless as a machine.
Several nice users helped me out here. I was very thankful for that. Those who take should also give something.

And the people who are still at the beginning and sometimes making their first attempts at level design. No matter how much talent someone has, you have to start somewhere. I am not into trolling and if somebody feels offended by my post because it is too harsh or something like that, people can always tell me. Can sometimes happen, especially unintentionally, specially on the internet with mostly text around.
I think we are sensible people and can talk to each other sensibly. We'll probably all have enough trouble in real life.

By the way, I don't understand what replies like yours are supposed to achieve. You've already done that a few times like here. Even with other users.
I was quite willing to give the user a meaningful answer. Level design and art design are real things and we have a lot of people on the forum who know about them (very impressive work sometimes). Just because this is a fan community, I don't know why you shouldn't take that into account. You can mix fun with learning and improving, the one does not necessarily exclude the other.
Of course, you can always remain silent in such cases. It makes things easier for you (in general, for everybody of course). But if you know anything about politics, you should know that silence can be dangerous in the long run. Tears won't help afterwards. But that's just as an aside.

PS: No one is obliged to respond to criticism (or to implement them), if you want to do certain things differently or insist on them, that's perfectly OK. That can be clarified calmly and objectively.

Do you remember that one here?
mariobrigade2018 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:00 pm
demorlo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:02 pm
Nobody can help me...
Because of this post, the only thing I can say to you is...
GIT
GOOD
You need to be patient with other people. The world doesn’t revolve around you.
Probably needs no further comment. Everybody can have a bad day, but this was really far from nice.

And I've already offered you that you don't need to respond to my posts. I don't understand why you always feel addressed.
AFAIK you are NOT a forum moderator. You are free to ignore content you are not interested in. I told you, you can even put me on ignore list, if my posts bother you too much. I could say a lot of other things now, but that would at least end in a warning for me ...
Excuse me mods for this post, no more offtopic here from my side.

mariobrigade2018
Flurry
Flurry

Postby mariobrigade2018 » Mon May 27, 2024 10:43 am

Just_Thomas wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 4:40 am
a very "short" reply
The quote that you showed was indeed me having a bad day. As for the rest of the post...

also, people on the discord are complaining about these long responses...just saying.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Mon May 27, 2024 5:18 pm

Just_Thomas wrote:
a lot of words
Fundamentally I agree with the idea of "make things look good together" but my point was that it needs to be a lower priority than making sure your levels are fun to play. You were and are focusing on wanting everything to look as nice as possible and I'm telling you that's what smbx players did for years and it has left us with mountains of not only unfinished content but content that may look nice but is uninteresting to play. People were focused on arbitrarily set standards on aesthetics and not what makes making Marios fun. You don't need to show me a hand-selected list of the most visually impressive forum screenshots to prove a point that I do partially agree with.

BrosRoad
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby BrosRoad » Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:35 pm

Just_Thomas wrote:
Otherwise think of food. You can hate a particular kind of food, but still it has been cooked and prepared professional.
Perhaps it is now a little more obvious what I actually wanted to say. Sometimes you need a few more words to say what you want to say.
Thanks for the advice.
Last edited by MrDoubleA on Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote

Return to “Levels”