[SMBX2] SPIKEVENTURE (OUTDATED! FULL PROJECT OUT NOW!)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
cold soup
Rex
Rex
Flair: yeah
Pronouns: he/him

[SMBX2] SPIKEVENTURE (OUTDATED! FULL PROJECT OUT NOW!)

Postby cold soup » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:50 pm

This thread is outdated! The full project is out now!

Episode thread:

viewtopic.php?t=29495

Archive:
Spoiler: show

AN ADRENALINE-FUELED ADVENTURE STARRING EVERYONE'S FAVORITE FUNNY FELLOW!

SPIKEVENTURE is a SMBX2 episode where you play as a Spike! It features 11 levels packed with action, challenge, and loads of secrets! Master the art of throwing spike balls, discover two power-ups tailor-made for the lean green machine, and pulverize an army of new enemies and bosses!

Spike is a former soldier of the Koopa Troop who lost their ability to spit out spike balls in a horrific battlefield accident. Nowadays, they live a quiet life... or they would, if they weren't in serious debt to the richest (and shadiest) guy in the kingdom, Boom Boom. After a near-death run-in with one of his goons, Spike sets off on a journey to show the tyrant who he's messing with.

SCREENSHOTS/VIDEOS

Check out this playlist for a few full level previews!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrF6 ... Pd3wfni1US

DOWNLOAD (DEMO ONLY)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uzrcVd ... sp=sharing

The full game isn't out yet, but there is a demo available for you to sink your teeth into! The Pirate's Scorn Demo includes the first world, consisting of 4 levels counting the boss level. Keep in mind that everything in the demo is subject to change. Please be sure to report any bugs you find, and of course feedback is 100% welcome!

CREDITS

Credits for graphics in the thread:
Shy Guy Sprites - Squishy Rex
Mouser Sprite - VannyArts (MFGG)
A full credits list for the demo itself is included in _credits.txt.
Last edited by cold soup on Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperAlex
Snifit
Snifit

Re: [SMBX2] SPIKEVENTURE (Pirate's Scorn Demo Out Now!)

Postby SuperAlex » Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:04 pm

Nice Demo game, Even the aesthetics look fun and canonically cool. There may even be more levels to that progress. I would like to record the entire episode.

AppleTheTomato
Bit
Bit
Flair: I am a Tomato named Apple.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby AppleTheTomato » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:20 pm

Super fun little demo! Quick little review thing here:
- Graphics were great, felt like the best of the SMW style.
- Level themes were really cool, I especially liked the waterfall/platform level (unforunately can't remember the name lol)
- Music was pretty solid, tho the boss music didn't fit super well. Kind of imagined something along the lines of Color Splash's Wendy Boss theme, but maybe that's just me.
- Level design itself was my favorite part. It all flowed super nicely, and felt like the perfect balance between fun gimmick specific to the level and platforming that slowly builds on itself. Like 3D World and Mario 3 put together.
- Spike himself was great, loved the Doom HUD and the way he interacts with the pickup-able items, made for some really nice gameplay.
- Wasn't super huge on how the powerups have timers. Would've been nice if you just kept them and then lost them either at the end of the level or until you got hit. Makes it more rewarding to use them when you know you could lose them after one error.
- The boss was alright, I think he could use a bit more oomph, if you know what I mean? Like, smoke effects after a ground pound, IDK. Otherwise it's fine.
All in all, a very nice demo! 7/10. I can't wait to see more of this project!

Alexx0612
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Alexx0612 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:34 pm

It's so cool!

raynet0
Goomba
Goomba

Postby raynet0 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:29 pm

I just 100%ed the demo (only took an hour), and, these four levels are amazing! There is nothing bad with them, so, I'll just list the things that were especially notable:
- The emphasis on throwing things was very fitting (cause you play as Spike), and this makes the big coin mini-challenges unique!
- The pacing is right - the levels are longer than classic Mario levels, but don't drag on either!
- The pirate-like theme is rarely seen anywhere, which makes the visuals fresh!
- And this is probably the best controlling SMW-like movement I've seen!
- Spike's faces are funny
I'm very excited for the full game now :)

ST Entertainment
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Flair: StarTech Entertainment

Re: [SMBX2] SPIKEVENTURE (OUTDATED! FULL PROJECT OUT NOW!)

Postby ST Entertainment » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:17 pm

It always impresses me what people far more talented than I am are able to do with Lunalua and SMBX2. This was an absolute joy to play through, and lasted the perfect amount of time without getting stale. The levels were fun, the power-ups were interesting and unique, and the entire experience as a whole was just really fun. The level design itself leaves a little to be desired, with some sections clearly only existing to make the levels longer, but it's still a very enjoyable experience overall! Fantastic work!

Return to “Projects”