Dedicated forum for events and announcements?

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Dedicated forum for events and announcements?

Postby Emral » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:03 am

SMWcentral kinda does this (there it's 2 forums), and Murphmario's post in the Beta 4 thread made me aware of how some might see that thread as cluttering up the forum it's in.
I expect this topic to be a bit of a grey area to implement because of the generally low amount of general announcements, but that's why I start this discussion - for some more opinions.

Things that could be moved there:
- Contest announcement and submission threads
- newsletters
- level of the month
- smbx2 updates

User-handled events can be included there too, since the big official things can still be handled as global announcements, now just with their own dedicated event forum.
Older events should definitely continue being archived though.

While my stance towards this is rather open, I haven't had the biggest of thinks about this myself, so like I said this is mostly to start the conversation. Let me know what you think.

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Dedicated forum for events and announcements?

Postby FireyPaperMario » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:53 am

Oh, just like the old SMBX forums that was archived; the "Super Mario Bros. X" forum from 2013-2017! I think that'll work better than my previous suggestion for adding another forum to the list. I'll approve of this.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:51 am

No, that one was more "about the site" and has been merged into the one we're currently talking in (Site Discussion). Topically there could be some overlap, but the major difference is that these events that have no concise home at the moment are about the game "Super Mario Bros X" rather than the site "Supermariobrosx.org". It would make more sense as a new thing.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:09 pm

I'm not opposed to this. I've considered it before too since other forums do it, but at the same time there's not much reason to have it here since they do come pretty slowly.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:03 pm

I mean, I am actually a fan of this concept. Though the only main concern is what would prevent it from turning into a "Contest Forum/SubForum"?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Emral » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:20 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:03 pm
Though the only main concern is what would prevent it from turning into a "Contest Forum/SubForum"?
The fact that outdated threads would get properly archived, that there will hardly be more than a couple contests ongoing simultaneously, and that replies to a long-running thread like the smbx2 thread are just as valid as activity as newly made threads. Besides, contests are a form of event, and it's geeenerally pretty good when events hosted for fun are more common than engine updates, and a similar level of common as the newsletters :p
In a way the forum would contain "what's currently going on" in terms of things users might be interested in (cause we all know 2 big reasons people come here are to see what important events happen and to make new posts to their episode threads).

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:19 pm

Enjl wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:20 pm
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:03 pm
Though the only main concern is what would prevent it from turning into a "Contest Forum/SubForum"?
The fact that outdated threads would get properly archived, that there will hardly be more than a couple contests ongoing simultaneously, and that replies to a long-running thread like the smbx2 thread are just as valid as activity as newly made threads. Besides, contests are a form of event, and it's geeenerally pretty good when events hosted for fun are more common than engine updates, and a similar level of common as the newsletters :p
In a way the forum would contain "what's currently going on" in terms of things users might be interested in (cause we all know 2 big reasons people come here are to see what important events happen and to make new posts to their episode threads).
The archival part is what I was scared of. (Scared it would not be a thing that is.) I am all for it if finished contests are archived correctly though.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:49 pm

Gonna change my mind on this because the way ATOM feeds work this set up would be very convenient for automated updates on stuff.

Return to “Site Discussion”