[Cave] Delighted Misventure

Forum for submissions to the Official™ SLAM Collab project!
Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

[Cave] Delighted Misventure

Postby Emral » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:54 am

Hello!
This level is all about Podoboos. And darkness. As such I found it difficult to gauge the difficulty by myself in certain parts. Feedback is much appreciated.

Difficulty (imo): ★★★☆☆ - ★★★★☆
Exits: 1
Dragon Coins: ✓
Players: Default
Powerups: Filter ice flower
Sprites: Qwerty Triple6, Enjl, Nintendo (Credits file included)
Music: Mega Man 11 - Torch Man Stage (Instrumental)

Please click the screenshot to download the level.

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Re: [Cave] Delighted Misventure

Postby Quantumenace » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 pm

Interesting stuff. The second to last section took a bunch of tries though, and I was never able to get through without taking a hit.

There's a strange area in the section after the checkpoint. There's a Dry Bones under a ceiling you can't see, and if you try to jump over it you will probably run into the ceiling and take a hit. Underneath this is a pipe that is blocked off by switchable blocks that you can't switch off in this section. It makes it look like there's a hidden warp, but there isn't one.

There's a pretty large CPU load here. I think a major part of that is all the lineguide-enabled NPCs. Could the falling ones in the last section be replaced with retextured Wart bubbles or something?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:14 am

Quantumenace wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 pm
Interesting stuff. The second to last section took a bunch of tries though, and I was never able to get through without taking a hit.

There's a strange area in the section after the checkpoint. There's a Dry Bones under a ceiling you can't see, and if you try to jump over it you will probably run into the ceiling and take a hit. Underneath this is a pipe that is blocked off by switchable blocks that you can't switch off in this section. It makes it look like there's a hidden warp, but there isn't one.

There's a pretty large CPU load here. I think a major part of that is all the lineguide-enabled NPCs. Could the falling ones in the last section be replaced with retextured Wart bubbles or something?
Good points. I'll take a look at sorting these things out. The wart bubble idea is pretty smart. I hadn't thought of that for some reason. They're probably the cause for the cpu load yeah.
I'll also see about replacing the podoboos in the 2nd to last section with cloud drops with modified harm types and see if that works better for making it through the section without problems.

The pipe was moreso meant for foreshadowing since the section after the checkpoint is the section before the checkpoint, just upside-down. I think there are diagonal podoboos coming out of it? Unless I forgot to put them there. I can take a look at getting the dry bones to behave though.

E: Figured out what you meant by the invisible ceiling and implemented the other things you pointed out. Thanks for the suggestions, please give them a try. The download link has been updated.

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 pm

The part with the Dry Bones is a lot better. The Buster Beetle at the beginning of that section is tricky though, since there's a large area where it's in the dark.

The second to last section feels considerably easier on the bottom side (maybe too much?), but the podoboos move so far upwards it complicates issues on the top side. If you try to get the dragon coin, there's a good chance you'll be pushed into the ones on tracks. I can't really figure out the best solution here since cloud drops don't accept custom timers or distances.

MmmMario
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Yeet

Postby MmmMario » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:59 am

There is a weird bug in this level. If you are carrying an ice brick around, and one of the diagonal podoboos comes into the ice-cube, you end up holding the podoboo instead. Also, this level can get quite slow, as well as the podoboos being able to accumulate at places.

Aside from this, however, it is a quite unique level. I can only imagine the difficult work of getting all of the angles for the diagonal podoboos right so that they move correctly through the level and don't move off the path they're meant to take. Well done!

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:53 pm

I should have said this here, but like I said on the discord server, this level does not work for me as it is just a pitch black screen. (This is weird considering normally when Darkness.lua is used, I can still see, but it is just laggy. In this level's case, it is not laggy at all, just invisible and behind a pitch black square screen.

Return to “SLAM”