Creep-vine Clouds [SVLC 3rd place]

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Nat The Porcupine
Hoopster
Hoopster

Creep-vine Clouds [SVLC 3rd place]

Postby Nat The Porcupine » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:56 pm

So, this was my entry that made it into the top 3. It involves a cool moving vine gimmick that I will definitely be revisiting in the future (next time with more lua!)
I think after doing so well in my 2nd contest, I'm finally ready to start making an episode, so I'll being looking forward to that adventure ;)

Oh, right, the level!

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Reviews:
Spoiler: show
3. Nat The Porcupine - Creep-vine Clouds - 8.08
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bossedit8 - 8.25
SMB2 level with SMB elements... which means there are no grass to pick up from the ground. Then you got vines... dodging grinders. Pretty cool I must say except when you have to wait until the vine comes up if you come up at the incorrect timing. I do like the section transitions like everything is in one section but it gets vertical then horizontal again later on. Then at the end you get a spiny egg attached to the vine... interesting and if you're good enough you can skip it at the complete top of it since there's nothing blocking you at the top of the screen.

Wraith Adamknight - 7.85
I fucking loved this level. This is was a great SMB2 level with cool vine-based transportation gimmicks. However, this very gimmick was a big downfall for your level. The first major one you ride is on an automatic event, so it can just be gone by the time you reach its start point. This means the player will just either sit there trying to figure out what is going on or try their hardest to pass the obstacle and die. The screen altering was a nice touch, but waiting for it to activate every time I die is very annoying. I recommend just separating these sections.

Zipper - 7.30
You would not BELIEVE how scared I was when I saw vines and moving layers in the same level. Thankfully, it worked out just fine and I could easily discover how beautifully crafted this level is. By means of moving vines, it creates simple, short bursts of challenges involving dodging, while still giving the player time to prepare beforehand. The vertical section felt like a nice change of pace, and it felt like a different area despite it only being one screen above the previous area. I sort of wish it lasted a little longer, with a few breaks inbetween. In fact, I wish this whole thing lasted longer, with more varying obstacles. The idea itself is so fun, and you obviously know how to make it work. Something like tying it to a paratroopa or even a bullet bill(would that even work? hell if I know) could open some ridiculous scenarios. You got a good thing going, make it go further.

Chad - 7.50
Pretty good! A SMB1/SMB2 hybrid set to the SMB2 sky background is actually a really good unique mix in terms of how it's handled here. The design is very presentable, being a nice detailed mix of land, log bridges, and moving vines. The latter in particular is rarely utilized, and is applied to a clever range of obstacles in a very DKC-esque fashion. However, I think you could have had the first vine be activated via switch or something in order to keep players from waiting if they miss it, and the upper cloudy portion didn't need the Grinder that falls super fast and bounces back up. Perhaps you neglected to place an endpoint on that line? The Spiny egg-controlled one is really cool, though. Nice construction overall, nice gimmick, and nice use of the Position events too.

ElTipsta - 9.50
This level is fantastic! It's an SMB-SMB2 hybrid heaven level with moving layers and working gimmicks in SMBX. I like the moving vines and the one that was attached to the spike ball. Really nice level here, clearly made by someone who knows the editor well just a few less cloud BGOs and it'd be perfect.
And yes, the download:
It's this one! Right Here!

P.S. In case you're curious yes, this was made in the legacy editor. I haven't quite figured out PGE yet (But I'm geeting there!)

FrozenQuills
Bit
Bit

Re: Creep-vine Clouds [SVLC 3rd place]

Postby FrozenQuills » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:45 am

Whoa this is really good. I love the vine+spike ball interaction at the end.
I think this could've won if it was longer and was tuned up a bit more.

Return to “Pretty Good”