Sky High Pipes

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
Flamehawk33
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Sky High Pipes

Postby Flamehawk33 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:44 pm

This is a new level I made including both Mario and Luigi to play! This is meant to be played by 1 person.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/5118d ... +Pipes.zip

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show

Have fun! :D
Last edited by Reiuji Utsuho on Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed download link. ~

Ethereality
Banned

Re: Sky High Pipes

Postby Ethereality » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:50 pm

Seems boring, try to improve the level design.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:55 pm

Izturo Mashiro wrote:Seems boring, try to improve the level design.
As someone who hasn't really improved since we told him. You sure one to talk about improving on design.

CopyLeft
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby CopyLeft » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:58 pm

Don't put screenshots up in fullscreen, since it warps them

Izturo Mashiro, that's not very specific. Also, refer to Tinkerbell's comment.

Anyway, I had fun playing this! I chuckled a little bit at the Luigi block part as well. Anyway, some criticism.

Firstly, cutoff!
Secondly, for the overworld parts, Forest Maze wasn't very fitting.

Thirdly, be careful with sizeables, because stuff like this can happen.
Try using the SMB3 invisible block.

Fourthly, when you hit the Luigi block, you should probably have an event to make Toad say something different.

Fifthly, the Fire Piranha section was admittedly fun, if you fall down, you have no way back up. Try to fix that.

Sixthly, you never see what happens to Mario. You are told that he made it to the Mushroom Kingdom, and everyone celebrates, but you don't see him in person.

Seventhly, you really don't need every Flipping Block to coin-tain a coin. ba dum tss

Eigthly, you need coins. By that, I mean coins by themselves, not in a block. They would have made the level even better.

Ninthly, the goal point is slightly lower than it needs to be. It should look like this.
Overall, I enjoyed this level and it had a nice concept. There are still some things to work on. It seems like you don't know the editor too well, although this may just be me assuming things. If my assumption is true, however, go ahead and learn it a bit more, and don't be afraid to go to YouTube for tutoriels. This should go in Average, maybe a high point The Trash Can.
Last edited by CopyLeft on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:05 pm

EpicMarioBro wrote: Eighthly, you don't have a second player spawn point.

Don't see this as a flaw. Most people play alone and if you want to co-op you can place one.

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:44 pm

If you try to play a level with only one start point in two player, the players will spawn in the same spot and shoot out of each other.

CopyLeft
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby CopyLeft » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:22 pm

I did not know that. Thanks Valtteri!

Reiuji Utsuho
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Time to make myself disappear

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:51 am

Review: Sky High Pipes by Flamehawk33
{Gameplay: 10Pts | Scenery/Music: 10Pts}

Gameplay:
3 out of 10
If you're new to level making then welcome! This level you made isn't all that bad.

The design of all but the third section are short and simple, but feel empty as well. The pipes and piranha's section is the longest and I'm going to assume is also the main one. The length of that was decent and there was definitely plenty of enemies to keep yourself moving so in some respect you created a good somewhat challenging level. One point of concern I wish to raise is as EpicMarioBros said is if you fall down during the fire piranha plant dodging part you have no way to escape so that should be fixed. The Luigi block dialogue was also pretty clever and got a nice giggle out of me, but maybe a little more to keep the thing going would've been nice as well.

As I did mention before all but the third section are short and really, pretty empty. More could be added to make those sections look nicer and polish up the level in general.

Next, the only coins in this level are in coin blocks, which while it isn't terrible, most, well.. pretty much all levels have loose coins around. Adds to appearance and it's generally just something that's expected. ~

Scenery/Music:
3 out of 10 {1Pts Scenery | 2Pts Music}
I hate to do it, but low marks for scenery. This level unfortunately needs more BGOs. People like to play a level that also looks as good as it's fun. While I sort of enjoyed this, I can say I didn't really feel drawn in to it's looks.. areas feel empty, barren, and plain.

Music is decent, but In some of the sections (1st, 3rd, 5th) I find the Forest Maze theme unfitting.

Conclusion:
6 out of 20Pts {3Pts Overall {Rounded from 3.00}}
For someone new, I can say you tried. It's a good level in terms of how long you've been making levels, but this has the potential to be a lot more. Unfortunately as it stands this level is on the lower end of the Average spectrum.

*Moved to Average

Return to “Average”