The Dark Knight (Daredevil Run)

Levels posted here need a lot of work before they're ready to be played.
TheKingOfBoos
Panser
Panser

The Dark Knight (Daredevil Run)

Postby TheKingOfBoos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:15 pm

Three things I would ask the level judges to keep in mind:
1. This is a daredevil run. There are no powerups.
2. This is a barebones level, so there are few background objects.
3. It IS possible, I've beaten it. If you must, you can use God mode.

Download link: (sorry, can't figure out mediafire)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2x7mm ... lXVWpPSUE/

Tango
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: The Dark Knight (Daredevil Run)

Postby Tango » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:11 pm

Hey, i think it's better post a screenshot. Do you know, they lock your topic until you provide Screenshots.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:57 pm

TheKingOfBoos wrote:If you must, you can use God mode.
A level should never be judged using god mode, just as it should never be tested that way. As I said: If you wanna make a daredevil level, design it around that. Always keep it fair, and I'm not sure if you encouraging usage of god mode is a good sign.

TheKingOfBoos
Panser
Panser

Postby TheKingOfBoos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:43 pm

Only if absolutely required. I beat it without God mode.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:19 am

The Dark Night (Daredevil Run) review

Design & Gameplay: 1/10 (counts 70%)
This level had some decent ideas, but the execution was really bad. The NPC placement and variety aren't horrible yet, (there was npc spam) but the level had an unfair difficulty with bad curve and the level didn't have any powerups. The 4th section was kinda unfair because that lamp-thing destroyed the blocks under you way too fast and the boos could trap you easily. Because of the unfair difficulty, the level didn't have any fun factor. Also, the level lacked of coins and the half of the few were unreachable. Over-all, it's a frustrating and horrible level to play.

Atmosphere & Visuals: 3.5/10 (counts 30%)
The only good things in the level are the no cutoffs and the pretty fitting music.
The level wouldn't have had clash if the bricks weren't flashing and the smb3 grass was weird looking (not that clashy) at the end. Also, the atmosphere isn't too interesting. The atmosphere was bad too but at least not terrible.

Score: 1.8/10
Moved to 'Trash Can'

TheKingOfBoos
Panser
Panser

Postby TheKingOfBoos » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:12 pm

I told you there wouldn't be any powerups :P
Also, could you at least get glitch's opinion before you condemn it?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Nah here's my view though:
- there wasn't much thought put into the design. Half-assed gimmicks were thrown around everywhere, one more explotiable than the other. But let me go through them one by one:
-- the moving floors were just annoying. They didn't add to the level, but rather subtracted from it at points, especially where you put the piranha plant on a moving layer
-- the disappearing floors need a fading animation. At least you didn't use them as much
-- the lightbulb room gives some nice seizures, has NPC spam and the player can easily just fall through the floor at the end
-- fall off the block boo and you're dead
-- hesitate a bit in the staricase room and you're done for
--the crushing room gimmick is the only sense of progression I got, as the moving layers in the first section kinda relate to it. The placement is off though.
--take the wrong door and you're dead because of the staircase.

-graphics aren't terrible. Except for the piranha plant and the background objects, as well as the seizure blocks
-powerups would be nice
-for a daredevil run there should also be a regular run
-there's a misplaced warp in the boo block room
- you can walk on top of the parts of the outside of the box house

Overall:
Points for effort. 2/10

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:49 pm

Tervantez2345 wrote:The only good things in the level are the no cutoffs and the pretty fitting music.
Actually, there are a couple instances of cut-off (although, admittedly, they are minor):
Spoiler: show
Anyway, my review:

Wow, this level is really annoying. Not only are there no power-ups, but there's no checkpoint, either, so if the player makes one tiny mistake, he/she has to go through the entire level again. This is especially annoying because of the level's various unfair design choices: firstly, the disappearing/reappearing blocks have no indication that they'll disappear until it happens; this is annoying because the player won't think that the blocks will disappear and will go to jump on them, but then end up falling into the bottomless pit when they do disappear. I recommend making the disappearing blocks a different color (or have them use a different tileset altogether) and introduce them in a way that won't kill the player if he/she messes up (it's easier to implement than a fading effect). Also, by placing a Venus Fire Trap sprite-swap on a vertically-moving layer, it's spawn point is shifted so that it's just above any blocks just below it (including blocks that are also on that layer), meaning the player can get hurt by the spawn point even if the Venus Fire Trap has descended completely. Plus, there's no indication as to where the Venus Fire Trap sprite-swaps are, which is especially annoying in Section 4: normally, I don't bring up a level's graphics since they normally only affect a level's atmosphere, but the flashing bricks make it extremely difficult to see where oncoming projectiles are until after they've killed the player, and this, on top of the fact that Venus Fire Trap sprite-swaps can appear in front of the player without warning, is why that section is such a difficulty spike. Plus, like Tervantez2345 mentioned, the flashlight can destroy the bricks under the player, making that section even more annoying and unfair. Also, Section 4 is the only section I can think of that could be considered as having NPC spam; to me, NPCs seemed rather sparse throughout the rest of the level, especially in Section 6. But hey, that's why I'm not an official Level Judge anymore.

As for the descending staircase in Section 3, it was just kinda there; it didn't really add anything to the level, and that entire section could be removed without losing anything. Section 7 had a neat idea, but it was criminally underdeveloped; I recommend trying to make a whole level based around that, like Zephyr did with Mario Classic's Rideaboo Fortress. Lastly, you forgot to include a proper mask sprite for the block-575 sprite-swap, so its edges look jagged (and no, that's not enough to differentiate the disappearing blocks from the normal blocks).

In conclusion: When I first started playing this level, I thought that Tervantez2345 was being too harsh on it, but then I made it to Section 4 and was like "oh." I'd say this deserves a 2/10.

--EDIT--
Enjl wrote:-- fall off the block boo and you're dead
-- hesitate a bit in the staricase room and you're done for
Those aren't nearly as easy to do as you're making them out to be. In fact, I'd say that you'd almost have to do those on purpose to do them at all.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:12 pm

TheKingOfBoos wrote:I told you there wouldn't be any powerups :P
I could also tell you that I'm gonna punch you in the face before doing so, it won't make it any better.
TheKingOfBoos wrote:Also, could you at least get glitch's opinion before you condemn it?
I don't see why. He can go ahead and review it, but I doubt hos opinion will be much different. You got one Level Judge and two others that used to be (at leaat I'm fairly sure Enjl once was an LJ) giving it a similar score.

TheKingOfBoos
Panser
Panser

Postby TheKingOfBoos » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:13 pm

Ouch. Ok guys. I get the point. Too hard, too annoying, too gimmicky. Well I'm sad but it's ok. Thanks for the feedback :)

Return to “The Trash Can”