Mouser's Death Factory

They're not that bad, but they're not that good either.
patromaniac
Swooper
Swooper

Mouser's Death Factory

Postby patromaniac » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:01 am

Mario gets trapped in Mouser's Bomb Factory. Can he make it out alive? This is the first level I made, tell me what you think. If there is any bugs or glitches I didn't find, let me know ok. http://www.mediafire.com/download/dn1vi ... actory.lvl. ;)

Sorry for the inconvinience, technical difficulties. http://www.mediafire.com/download/31pbi ... a9/aka.zip. Try now.
Last edited by zlaker on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated download link

Superiorstar
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Re: Mouser's Death Factory

Postby Superiorstar » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:24 am

You're lucky I provided a screen for you, this could have gotten locked.
Also why isn't there music? even for a first level you could at least know how to use vanilla SMBX music...

patromaniac
Swooper
Swooper

Postby patromaniac » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:52 am

thanks

patromaniac
Swooper
Swooper

Postby patromaniac » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:53 am

there's supposed to be music.

Superiorstar
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Superiorstar » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:56 am

I didn't find that in the download.

patromaniac
Swooper
Swooper

Postby patromaniac » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:16 am

Yeah it's some kind of bug. I'm posting it in the help and support section. http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... 35&t=10074

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:43 am

Well well, I made a playthrough of this level and it's here:

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpa0VmYVyEI

By the way, since there's no music I had to change it to a default music to prevent from being quiet for the most time.

patromaniac
Swooper
Swooper

Postby patromaniac » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:46 am

you didn't have to do that but thanks.

patromaniac
Swooper
Swooper

Postby patromaniac » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:57 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/download/31pbi ... a9/aka.zip. This is how it was supposed to be like.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:42 am

Tervantez2345’s unofficial review:

In difficulty, this level isn’t easy and isn’t unfairly hard either, so I don’t complain about the difficulty. I liked the multiple path possibilty and the secret room too. (true it could have an exit pipe to make the player’s job easier and a 3-up moon is too big reward for a not that hidden bonus room) The checkpoint is placed right in the middle of the level, which was a good thing.
The fun factor isn’t very low, but I still think it’s not a fun level to play. The NPC variety was too big, but the placement was decent. The level lacked of coins too, which made the level feel empty. The level lacks of powerups too. The music didn’t fit but in my opinion it still deserves a meh. Also, the level had clash and sometimes it didn’t make sense, like the random airship tiles with cutoffs, grinders and fish. And the second battle with Mouser was easier than the first one.
Pros:
+ The difficulty is fair
+ Possibility to multiple paths
+ A secret room
+ Fair NPC placement
+ Good checkpoint placement

Cons:
- Graphical clash
- Lacks of powerups
- Music didn’t really fit
- Random stuff that didn’t make sense
- Bad (but not awful) fun factor
- Over-rewarding bonus room
- Lacks of coins
- Some cutoffs
- Too big NPC variety
- Rematch vs. Mouser is easier than the first battle

Overall score: 3/10

patromaniac
Swooper
Swooper

Postby patromaniac » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:37 pm

@Tervantez2345 Ok your right the level is a bit bland but it's my first ever designed level. How do grinders in a factory level not make sense? I'll give you the out-of-place fish, the out-of-place airship tiles, the over-rewarding bonus room, lack of coins, the tile clash, the unfitting music, and the second Mouser fight being too easy, but there are no lack of powerups. There are three mushrooms and a check point that counts like a mushroom and none of the other power ups would benefit in this level anyway. Isn't a wide variety of NPCs a good thing so you're not seeing the same enemy over and over again? It's not great but it's alright for a first level. Sorry I'm not trying to be a jerk but that critisicm seems a bit unfair, and I'm usually used to criticism. :(

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:53 am

Alright first I'll say that many of the flaws pointed out in the review are things everyone makes in their first levels, so don't worry. You'll improve over time and by watching other people's levels. A 3/10 for a first level is honestly solid, as I've seen way worse.

While I have no problem with a large NPC variety, I'm gonna share with you a tip on how to not get substractions for having it: Make sure the enemies you're using are unique (refrain from using, for example, SMB1 Koopa and SMB3 Koopa in the same level) and make sense in the environment. Putting Bowser statues and random grinders into a generic grassland level isn't the best idea.
However, if you use custom graphics, you can use pretty much any NPC in any environment. That's when you have to make sure not to overwhelm the player with different enemies.

Most levels create variety by introducing a gimmick, like moving platforms, and expanding upon it in later sections, for example by mixing it with another. They don't bank on new enemies to face and stick to 3-7 differently acting enemies which will be faced throughout the level in roughly the same quantities.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:41 pm

Yeah, for a first level, 3/10 is pretty great. With patience and practice you can get at least 7/10 for all levels you'll be making. My first level would get 1.5/10 if I post it here. 3/10 actually means 'Average' on the forums, so good luck again.

There is a tutorial in the smbx folder, if you read it, you'll be able to make custom npcs. Cgfx are NOT the most important for gameplay, before you think it.

patromaniac
Swooper
Swooper

Postby patromaniac » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:41 pm

Thanks guys.

Return to “Average”