Larry's Castle

Levels posted here need a lot of work before they're ready to be played.
Paulie880

Larry's Castle

Postby Paulie880 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:47 pm

bandicam 2014-11-16 10-21-59-015.jpg

Larry has returned!
Download: http://sharesend.com/k9a4cdhe

golden

Re: Larry's Castle

Postby golden » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:38 pm

i will play it maybe i will write my own personal review on it or video or do none of them i will just see how it turns out

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:36 am

Why does there are some people who posts "I'll review this" and then someone else review it?

Anyway, here's a review for this.

Level review: Larry's castle by Paulie880

Gameplay, Design Usage and NPC Placement

Looks like this is your first level, am I right? The level is very short and both the gameplay and design usage were uninteresting. Looks like you just put some blocks, some lava and some NPC which can all fit in a castle and put everything together, without thinking at how the level can be interesting. There was few variety in the NPCs and most of them were very badly placed. At least, there were enough power-ups. I would like to point out this place:

First off, the player can glitch through it, and second, if there was an NPC right there and if the player was new at SMBX and might not now how to do a duck jump, they would get an unfair hit. The Larry boss fight was just a generic Larry boss fight, without anything in the room.
Summarizing, the level's gameplay, design usage and NPC Placement was terrible and you really need to improve it.
Score: 0.5

Music and atmosphere

The level was just a generic castle with the SMB3 casle music, which was quite unoriginal, but the atmosphere is decent, actually. Also, castles without roofs are quite bad. There weren't ANY BGOs at ALL and most of the level is very bland. I don't really have anything else to say about this, since the level was short, as I already said.
Score: 3

Overall

This level really needs improvement in everything. Play other levels, for example those in the best section, to see what a good level is.

Final score: 1.75. Trash Can level.
Last edited by RudeGuy on Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Waddle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:06 am

And second, if there was an NPC right there and if the player was new at SMBX and might not now how to do a duck jump, they would get an unfair hit. The Larry boss fight was just a generic Larry boss fight, without anything in the room.
but there wasn't any. And I honestly think you could have explained the 0.5/10 as it's way too low, especially considering the placement wasn't that bad, but there was a lack of variety.
The level was just a generic castle with the SMB3 casle music, which was quite unoriginal. Also, castles without roofs are quite bad. There weren't ANY BGOs at ALL and most of the level is very bland. I don't really have anything else to say about this, since the level was short, as I already said.
Okay. Just because it's UNORIGINAL it gets a 0/10. If he'd named it "classic smb3 dungeon", would you still give that rating? Also, originality isn't always equal to good. Unoriginality also isn't nessecarily bad. He nailed the smb3 dungeon atmosphere, and if that's what he was going for, he did well.

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:33 am

Waddle Derp wrote:And I honestly think you could have explained the 0.5/10 as it's way too low
I explained it.
Waddle Derp wrote:Okay. Just because it's UNORIGINAL it gets a 0/10. If he'd named it "classic smb3 dungeon", would you still give that rating? Also, originality isn't always equal to good. Unoriginality also isn't nessecarily bad. He nailed the smb3 dungeon atmosphere, and if that's what he was going for, he did well.
I didn't like anything about the atmosphere in this level, that's why I gave him a 0/10. And honestly, I think unoriginality is quite bad, but yeah, I was quite unfair.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Waddle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:40 am

RudeGuy07 wrote:
Waddle Derp wrote:And I honestly think you could have explained the 0.5/10 as it's way too low
I explained it.
Sorry, I ripped that sentence out of its context. My apoligies.
RudeGuy07 wrote:
Waddle Derp wrote:Okay. Just because it's UNORIGINAL it gets a 0/10. If he'd named it "classic smb3 dungeon", would you still give that rating? Also, originality isn't always equal to good. Unoriginality also isn't nessecarily bad. He nailed the smb3 dungeon atmosphere, and if that's what he was going for, he did well.
I didn't like anything about the atmosphere in this level, that's why I gave him a 0/10. And honestly, I think unoriginality is quite bad, but yeah, I was quite unfair.
I understand smb3 dungeons arent your favourite theme (I don't like them either), but okay. One thing though; I cant quite agree on the whole "unoriginality is bad" thing. But I think (should we / you want it) continue this discussion through PM.

goombaguy
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby goombaguy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:11 am

Is this all it is, a fight with Larry? Couldn't you make it a little more unique?

Return to “The Trash Can”