Shipwreck Sands

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Shipwreck Sands

Postby Bomber57 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:32 am

Been a while since my last level, eh? I made this one for this year's Vinesauce SMBX contest. Enjoy and stuff!

Screenshots
Spoiler: show
Spoiler: show
Download EDIT: Changed download to newest version.
Last edited by Bomber57 on Mon May 25, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Squishy Rex
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Shipwreck Sands

Postby Squishy Rex » Mon May 25, 2015 1:05 am

This was certainly an entertaining level. The combination of both the downed airships and the quicksand is a cool concept. The Pokey Goomba is rather unique, I can't say I've seen that NPC before anywhere and it is good that you've taken a practically standard NPC and made it be more of a threat towards the player. Everything is well spaced and not too open, but not to restrictive either, especially inside the airship itself. I'll also admit I never expected the Monty Moles to pop out of the ground in the beginning (I thought the holes were more eyecandy than anything), so that was a nice surprise. The ships rise and fall quite nicely and the fact that you separated the ? Blocks from the moving layer to prevent glitched item spawning was something I'm certainly glad you did. I like how not all of the level was side scrolling, having that vertical section at the end seemed to break it up a little a helped to make it seem more like an actual ship, assuming the pillars the ? Ball was placed on were masts. Finally, the music is really good and it seems to fit the nature of the level very well in my opinion.

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Postby Marina » Mon May 25, 2015 10:02 am

This looks amazing and makes me wanna make a level for the Vinesauce Contest myself, I really like the idea of Ships in the sand

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Mon May 25, 2015 12:43 pm

Shipwreck Sands Review

What I liked about the level:

Now this level is something new and unqiue. I haven't seen the themes desert and ship being mixed into one main theme of a level since CC5. From the looks of the level, it was quite pleasent. There was a good amount of sceneries here and there. And your choice of music was very good as well. Gameplay was very good too. In the section where you had to try to not get killed by the quicksand, I gotta say it was really fun. This level has some clever ideas up in its sleeve. I really liked the design too. During my playtime of the level I found it very fun, even if it was linear at some points of the levels. I really see some replay-value in this level!

What I didn't liked about the level:

One issue I found in the level was that there were some points in the level where it really lacked Coins, especially Section 2. The level sorta felt empty without them. Another issue I found is that the NPC placement here is quite overwhelming at Section 2, 4 and 5 and I really recommend reducing it.

So in summary:

+ The design was fun and all.
+ The concept of the level was cool.
+ It was good looking and the music was fitting.
+ It had defintley has some replay-value.
+ The gameplay was very good and it made the level feel unique.

- The NPC placement was quite overwhelming.
- Lack of Coins at some points in the level.

My Score: 8/10

This level had some clever ideas and was very fun. I can imagine this level placing very good in the Vinesauce Contest.
Moved to Pretty.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Shipwreck Sands [Re-Review]

Postby zlaker » Mon May 25, 2015 2:46 pm

Shipwreck Sands Re-Review

Since I've already played the level and reviewed it, I'll just make a short review.

Now the level has gotten some really good improvement. The number of NPCs has been reduced, which made the level way more enjoyable and easier to complete. More Coins was added, making the level less empty. Fixing these two flaws really made the level more fun and enjoyable.

My Score: 9/10

Right now, by just looking at the level I'm very confident this will place extremely well in the Vinesauce contest. Moved to The Best.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:35 pm

Since I don't really have a whole lot of SMBX levels downloaded, I literally played this level all the way through every time I wanted to get myself in the mood to work on my SMBX level.

Needless to say, it's a very good level and as Zlaker said, it definitely has replay value.

AirShip
Panser
Panser
Flair: The Flying Ghost

Postby AirShip » Tue May 26, 2015 8:50 am

When I saw the images, I thought it was just another generic level with generic graphics, but I was wrong.

It is a very good level, the NPCs are not excessive, the positioning of the coins is good, despite some bad placed coins, IMO, however, this is what matters least, the trick of the last section is very creative, I did something equal to in one level of SMMP.

Summarizing, it's a great level, very good bomber.

Return to “The Best”