How to make Apple Pie

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
[Egg]Egg
Blooper
Blooper

How to make Apple Pie

Postby [Egg]Egg » Sun May 24, 2015 2:20 am

Just something to cook.
Ingredients:
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup cornflour
125g butter, chilled, chopped
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 egg, separated
Whipped cream, to serve
Apple Filling:
10 medium (1.25kg) granny smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into thin wedges
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Step 1:
Place flours, butter and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor. Process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and 1/4 cup cold water. Process until pastry just comes together. Turn pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
Step 2:
Meanwhile, make apple filling: Place apples and 1/3 cup cold water in a baking classics saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until apples are tender. Drain. Return apples to pan. Stir in sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Set aside.
Step 3:
Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 20cm (base) round glass or ceramic pie dish.
Step 4:
Place two-thirds of the pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper. Roll out into a 30cm round. Line base and sides of prepared dish with pastry. Trim edges. Spoon in filling. Brush edge with a little eggwhite. Place remaining pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper. Roll out until large enough to cover dish. Cover filling with pastry. Press edges together. Trim excess.
Step 5:
Make 2 cuts in top for steam to escape. Brush with remaining eggwhite. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden. Serve with cream.
All credits of this go to http://www.taste.com.au.
Variant:
Blueberry Pie:
Same as this, but use blueberries. Make sure that you have enough so they can fill a pie case.
Coconut Cake (why not)
WARNING: COCONUTS ARE VERY HIGH IN SATURATED FAT, EAT IT VERY RARELY.

125g unsalted softened butter
1 cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
1 tablespoon finely grated lime rind
2 lightly beaten eggs,
1 cup sifted self-raising flour
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup milk
icing sugar, for dusting
Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
Step 1:
Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease and line a 10x20cm loaf pan. Place butter and caster sugar in a large bowl and beat with electric beater until light and creamy. Add lemon rind and lime rind. Add eggs, one at a time, beating between each addition until the mixture is well combined. Fold flour and desiccated coconut into the mixture, alternating with milk, until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the lined pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Dust with icing sugar. Serve cake warm or at room temperature, with a spoonful of Greek-style yoghurt.
How to reduce sugar in the pie?
You can use Artificial Sweeteners instead of sugar.
Battenburg:

You will need a 20cm (base measurement) square cake pan for this recipe.

Ingredients

440g pkt Green's Golden Butter Cake with Icing
Yellow food colouring
Pink food colouring
115g (1/3 cup) strawberry jam, sieved
250g marzipan
Icing sugar, to dust
Steps:
Step 1:
Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Grease a 20cm (base measurement) square cake pan. To line pan, place a 20cm-wide, 60cm-long piece of foil on a work surface. Top with a sheet of baking paper of the same size. Fold a large pleat in the centre, about 3 ∕4 of the height of the cake pan. Place in prepared pan with pleat in the centre, allowing ends to overhang. This creates the divide for the cake.
Step 2:
Prepare cake following packet directions. Divide mixture between 2 bowls. Tint 1 bowl yellow. Tint second bowl pink. Spread half the mixture into 1 side of prepared pan. Spread remaining mixture into other side of pan.
Step 3:
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Turn cakes onto a wire cake rack to cool completely.
Step 4:
Trim top and sides of cakes (see Notes). Cut each cake in half lengthways to create 2 long cube shapes. Prepare icing following packet directions. Spread sides of cakes with a thin layer of jam and a little icing. Join cakes, pressing firmly and alternating colours. Spread remaining icing over cake surface.
Step 5:
Knead marzipan on a surface dusted with icing sugar until soft. Roll out to a 3mm-thick rectangle. Carefully roll marzipan around a rolling pin, and unroll over cake to cover. Tuck underneath to seal. Stand for 1 hour to firm.

EDIT: This post is now open to people who want to request recipes! :D
Last edited by [Egg]Egg on Sun May 31, 2015 1:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

HeroOfRhyme
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Re: How to make Apple Pie

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Sun May 24, 2015 2:21 am

Why in the literal fuck are you posting a recipe for apple pie on a Mario forum?

Though that sounds delicious and I love pie.

[Egg]Egg
Blooper
Blooper

Postby [Egg]Egg » Sun May 24, 2015 2:24 am

Apex wrote:Why in the literal f*ck are you posting a recipe for apple pie on a Mario forum?

I POST IT BECAUSE I POST IT

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sun May 24, 2015 3:14 am

Er, as Apex said this is a bit of a strange topic to post in a place like this. I guess there's technically nothing saying you can't post stuff like this but something like this doesn't offer too much discussion value. Not that I don't like pie.

I'll let the topic stay open for now though, again it's not against the rules.

Squishy Rex
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Squishy Rex » Sun May 24, 2015 3:16 am

[Egg]Egg wrote:
Apex wrote:Why in the literal f*ck are you posting a recipe for apple pie on a Mario forum?

See, now that can be classed as spam. If people want to make an Apple Pie, they can simply Google it. You could have at least made this topic have a little more filling rather than post that. Opening it up for others to post their own cooking ideas and recipes would have at least been somewhat constructive and beneficial.

EdIT: Ninja'd by Pseudo-Dino.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sun May 24, 2015 5:20 am

[Egg]Egg wrote:

So, you post it bc you post which means you posted it bc you think you posted it, but if someone asks why did you post this you say i post it bc i post which leads back to the thing that you posted it bc you posted it. So you post posted it.

No rlly why? This is like everyone else said a simple google thing and done. Not that you maybe even copied the whole thing anyway.

mechamind
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: You can set your mind to it!
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Postby mechamind » Sun May 24, 2015 1:32 pm

Pardon me for finding it coincidental that a baking recipe was posted by a user named "Egg".

Of course, with my username and being interested in the advantages of technology myself, I probably shouldn't talk.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sun May 24, 2015 1:39 pm

This thread can stay opened so long as a legitimate discussion is brought forth. If it breaks out into shitposts and off-topicness, we'll have to lock it.

sleepy
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby sleepy » Sun May 24, 2015 3:04 pm

I've been looking for a recipe like this!

Can you find one for Blueberry pie? Thanks!

~Sharon

Aulphexia
Rex
Rex

Postby Aulphexia » Sun May 24, 2015 5:55 pm

Hmm, I might consider making a thread telling people how to make Battenburg then, if you're allowed to post things like this. I mean, everybody loves a Battenburg. :P Right?

HeroOfRhyme
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Sun May 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Aulphexia wrote:Hmm, I might consider making a thread telling people how to make Battenburg then, if you're allowed to post things like this. I mean, everybody loves a Battenburg. :P Right?
I don't even think half the board knows what that is, including me.

[Egg]Egg
Blooper
Blooper

Postby [Egg]Egg » Tue May 26, 2015 5:25 am

Aulphexia wrote:Hmm, I might consider making a thread telling people how to make Battenburg then, if you're allowed to post things like this. I mean, everybody loves a Battenburg. :P Right?
That's fine, but I haven't heard of Battenburg.

Zonnepoes
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby Zonnepoes » Tue May 26, 2015 12:48 pm

[Egg]Egg wrote:
What about the Blueberry Pie someone posted earlier?

Aulphexia
Rex
Rex

Postby Aulphexia » Tue May 26, 2015 3:13 pm

[Egg]Egg wrote:
BEHOLD! THE SEXY BATTENBURG! Glamorous sponge slices of pink and yellow glued together with jam, coated with some gorgeous marzipan and topped off with the cutest sprinkles of icing sugar. ;)

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Tue May 26, 2015 3:35 pm

At first I thought this would be the OP asking how to make apple pie. Nope. He actually posts a recipe.

[insert Supernatural meme here]

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Tue May 26, 2015 3:39 pm

Very informative and helpful.

Stickied.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:40 pm

This is a really helpful recipe, and it even helped me win a pie contest! The judges loved it, and I'm sure my family and friends will too.

Thanks!

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Tue May 26, 2015 3:53 pm

AeroMatter wrote:Very informative and helpful.

Stickied.

Tbh there are far more helpful and informative threads then this but okay. If the staff wants that so i am not gonna question it.

Superiorstar
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Superiorstar » Tue May 26, 2015 4:17 pm

Ok I'll be the first.
Who the hell thought it was a good idea to stick something as trivial as this?

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Tue May 26, 2015 4:31 pm

THE PIE IS A LIE

This thread is very important for us, thanks for stickying it whoever did it.

Return to “Archives”