Project Tips

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.
zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Project Tips

Postby zlaker » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:55 pm

just make the damn episode fun, okay?
Last edited by zlaker on Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Re: Project Tips

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:45 pm

zlakerboy357 wrote:4. Introduce new items in the game. It makes the game more worth to play.
Not everyone can make their own hacked version of SMBX, you know.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
zlakerboy357 wrote:4. Introduce new items in the game. It makes the game more worth to play.
Not everyone can make their own hacked version of SMBX, you know.
I think he means just reskins, like a SMG Rock Shroom over SMB2 POW Block or a SMW Giant Switch over (nohurt=1) Switch Goomba.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:00 am

FanofSMBX wrote:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote: Not everyone can make their own hacked version of SMBX, you know.
I think he means just reskins, like a SMG Rock Shroom over SMB2 POW Block or a SMW Giant Switch over (nohurt=1) Switch Goomba.
How did I forget to give the switch blocks nohurt=1 two years ago...
Tip 1 is kinda the opposite of 'super mario's world' if anyone remembers that? I think, you should set the length of levels and of the project overall individually. When levels have variety between them, they're more enjoyable to play than 6 levels that look and play the sam. This way you can keep the player interested

If not any level has to be themed to the world, why do we even theme worlds? Sure you could make a wourld a snowy mountain, but that includes cave, sky, mountain, snow flat and snow mountain levels already, considering the bottom is covered in snow aswell.

To 6: You shouldn't make blatant copies in graphics, location, design style and gimmick though. You can, for example, make the same theme with the same tileset, but think out of the box a little bit when designing puzzles.

To 8: Some people here don't know what fits together and what doesn't, sadly.

To 9: You mean Four Swords Adventures style? Every level has a boss?

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:57 am

zlakerboy357 wrote:Here are 10 tips for what to or not to do when you're making a project. You can also post your own tips. Please make this sticky and don't lock it mods.

1. Don't have long levels unless there is between 30-50 levels in the game. If they're short make up to 80+ levels
2. If the levels are short put a lot of secrets. It makes the level more enjoyable and it feels longer. Long levels should have few secrets. Make sure the secrets are worthy.
3. Have a variation of levels. Not every level has to be themed to the world.
4. Introduce new items in the game. It makes the game more worth to play.
5. The plot doesn't have to be long and mysterious. Even good games repeats the story from past Mario, which every Mario fan knows.
6. Get inspired by others levels. Even the greatest level designers can get inspired by others.
7. Try to come up with new features in the game.
8. You don't have to use new graphics. So long it fit together it's no shame.
9. Try to make bosses appear in some levels. And try to tweak them. That makes them fun.
10. Try to not have a lot of worlds in the game with a lot of levels.
I don't agree with some of these. The "more secrets in short levels to make them longer, less secrets in long levels" thing makes no sense to me. I guess you can lenghten a level with a secret area but that's not a rule you should follow. :/ I also think all levels should have about the same amount of secrets, some can have bigger secrets than the others. For another thing, new items are always just reskins (unless you use LunaDLL) and they're definitely not a necessity. Try using as many of the available power-ups as possible.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:13 am

Valtteri wrote:
zlakerboy357 wrote:Here are 10 tips for what to or not to do when you're making a project. You can also post your own tips. Please make this sticky and don't lock it mods.

1. Don't have long levels unless there is between 30-50 levels in the game. If they're short make up to 80+ levels
2. If the levels are short put a lot of secrets. It makes the level more enjoyable and it feels longer. Long levels should have few secrets. Make sure the secrets are worthy.
4. Introduce new items in the game. It makes the game more worth to play.
5. The plot doesn't have to be long and mysterious. Even good games repeats the story from past Mario, which every Mario fan knows.
6. Get inspired by others levels. Even the greatest level designers can get inspired by others.
7. Try to come up with new features in the game.
8. You don't have to use new graphics. So long it fit together it's no shame.
9. Try to make bosses appear in some levels. And try to tweak them. That makes them fun.
10. Try to not have a lot of worlds in the game with a lot of levels.
I don't agree with some of these. The "more secrets in short levels to make them longer, less secrets in long levels" thing makes no sense to me. I guess you can lenghten a level with a secret area but that's not a rule you should follow. :/ I also think all levels should have about the same amount of secrets, some can have bigger secrets than the others. For another thing, new items are always just reskins (unless you use LunaDLL) and they're definitely not a necessity. Try using as many of the available power-ups as possible.
Yeah I agree Valterri. I thought they're preety stupid after seeing them today. Do me a favor lock this or delete it.

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:02 am

I modified the tips a bit and stickied this instead.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:57 am

About 10 worlds are lot? (around 11 levels per world)

meowflash

Postby meowflash » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:50 pm

Kaizo Levels always have to be hard to beat.
Last edited by silent_ on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: User has been PM'd regarding the following post.

Tepig2000

Postby Tepig2000 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:36 pm

SMBX-fan wrote:About 10 worlds are lot? (around 11 levels per world)
Personally, I think 6-8 worlds with 6-8 levels each is enough.

mariogeek2
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby mariogeek2 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:49 pm

Tepig2000 wrote:
Your episode needs to be as long as you want it. If you try to shorten it, it just makes the episode feel weird. Besides, the longer your episode is, the better, because you get more playtime. Be sure, though, not to sacrifice quality for length.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:39 pm

mariogeek2 wrote:
Tepig2000 wrote:
Your episode needs to be as long as you want it. If you try to shorten it, it just makes the episode feel weird. Besides, the longer your episode is, the better, because you get more playtime. Be sure, though, not to sacrifice quality for length.
That may be true to have more levels would be better, do not put to many levels in! Not to many people want to play though 200 Plus Levels! and SMBX does have a 400 Level limit on the World map!

Also: If you reach any limit on the World Map, Your episode is to long! There is no shame in breaking it into two episodes or even three. I know I do not follow this, but still, you need to half the size of your episode of you either reach the:
  • World Map Tile limit of 19,000 to22,000
  • World map Level limit of 400
  • World map Path limit [currently unknown what said limit is though, but there is a limit]
The Scenery limit is not that big of a deal, but if you reach that, you do need to cut back some!
Last edited by Namyrr on Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed the listy thingy

Raster
Banned

Postby Raster » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:26 am

Lengthy levels automatically need to be branched in multiple sections and feature secret areas, because incredibly long linear levels mean that the player is more likely to die and have to start over. That usually affects the replay value of your levels.

Also, dungeons should be as tricky as possible while featuring variou themes. I'm aware that almost all Mario games have the same type of castle, but varied locations on the world map and custom graphics can polish a dungeon and make it stand out from the rest.

Anphiba
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby Anphiba » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:05 pm

zlakerboy357 wrote:Here are tips for what to do and not to do when you're making a project. You can also post your own tips. Please make this sticky and don't lock it mods.

2. Secret paths are recommended.
4. The plot doesn't have to be long and mysterious. Even good games repeats the story from past Mario, which every Mario fan knows.
5. Get inspired by others levels. Even the greatest level designers can get inspired by others.
6. Try to come up with new features in the game.
7. You don't have to use new graphics. So long it fit together it's no shame.
8. Try to make bosses appear in some levels. And try to tweak them. That makes them fun.
9. Try to not have a lot of worlds in the game with a lot of levels.
Awww... My project was going to be 15 worlds with 10 levels in each world, and they were as long as regular Mario levels.
Plus, I was going to make my story a little different.
So, if I don't change all of this stuff, I will mess everything up?

Tepig2000

Postby Tepig2000 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Anphiba wrote:
zlakerboy357 wrote:Here are tips for what to do and not to do when you're making a project. You can also post your own tips. Please make this sticky and don't lock it mods.

2. Secret paths are recommended.
4. The plot doesn't have to be long and mysterious. Even good games repeats the story from past Mario, which every Mario fan knows.
5. Get inspired by others levels. Even the greatest level designers can get inspired by others.
6. Try to come up with new features in the game.
7. You don't have to use new graphics. So long it fit together it's no shame.
8. Try to make bosses appear in some levels. And try to tweak them. That makes them fun.
9. Try to not have a lot of worlds in the game with a lot of levels.
Awww... My project was going to be 15 worlds with 10 levels in each world, and they were as long as regular Mario levels.
Plus, I was going to make my story a little different.
So, if I don't change all of this stuff, I will mess everything up?
Not necessarily, as long as the levels aren't repetitive and boring people will probably enjoy it. I plan in doing a project with 8 main worlds with around 6 levels each, a secret hub with somewhere around 30 challenge levels, another hub with around 50 mini-game levels, and 3 secret worlds that have around the size of a normal world. And I don't think this is too long. Why? Because every level is going to feel completely different from the others. But if someone made a episode with the number of levels and worlds you plan and the levels were repetitive, it would be bad. As long as the levels are good the quantity does not matter. Remember: quality >>> quantity.

I'm not an expert at making episodes however, these are just my two cents. Take these words with a grain of salt. ;)

SMBXxer
Panser
Panser

Postby SMBXxer » Sat May 03, 2014 3:46 pm

One tip that I have is that your project's worlds don't have to be exactly like the worlds in the Nintendo Mario games.(e.x W1 grass W2 desert W3 snow etc.)
Last edited by SMBXxer on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Boboo
Spike
Spike
Flair: The Wicked Pissah

Postby Mr Boboo » Sun May 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Try to come up with some gimmick(s) for levels in your episode. Though gimmicks are definitely not necessary, it would really help to create variety within your levels and would make them more fun to play. However, be careful with the kinds of gimmicks you use because some can get annoying pretty fast. Also, try not to overdo it!

Anphiba
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby Anphiba » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:40 pm

My plan is to have 15 worlds:
1-Grassland (Duh)
2-Softwood forest
3-Desert
4-Cave
5-Mountain
6-Island/Beach
7-Sky
8-Swamp
9-Volcano
10-Ocean
11-Jungle
12-Ice
13-Savanna
14-Canyon
15-One Big Mountain Occupied by Bowser
16-Bouns World (World A)
Each Level will have:
1 Tower
1 Castle (SM3DW styled)
1 Special Level (They have stars and can be used for a Star Road Type thing)
7 Regular Levels
Features - Implemented from other official games:
Red Coins (NSMBDS/Wii/U/2, SM3DL/3DW) (NOT YI)
Star Coins (Replace Dragon Coins)
Toad Houses (Like in every single mario game ever invented)
Beeping Rhythm Block things... (You know, like Beep Block Galaxy in SMG2, or those red-yellow-blue ones in SM3DL)
Style- Mix of SMB1 & 3
Soundtrack- SMW styled/16 Bit styled SM3DW

Another Thing, I know it isn't required, but do you think I should use LunaDLL to turn the Hammer suit into a Boomerang suit?
No I don't mean the sprite. I meant all characters throwing boomerangs.

Anphiba
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby Anphiba » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:41 pm

Do you think that is good or is it too much?

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Re: Project Tipse

Postby FanofSMBX » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:45 pm

I've got bad news for you. I've tried to turn the hammers into boomerangs, but they don't work right unless they're thrown, either by Peach and Toad or from a veggie. (If you're wondering why only Peach and Toad "throw" stuff, listen to the sound that plays when they shoot a bomb or boomerang)

Return to “Projects”