Project Tips

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.
zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Project Tips

Postby zlaker » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:36 am

h2643 wrote:
Ness-Wednesday wrote:But what if that person doesn't have Lunalua and is just lazy to download it? :?
It's his/her problem. And Idk man, soon everyone will move to SMBX 2.0 which has PGE and LunaLua installed by default, so excuses like "2lazy2download" won't be acceptable.
That excuse has never been acceptable.

CynicHost
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Flair: heck

Postby CynicHost » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:47 pm

Yeah, but LunaLua's not exactly the easiest thing to use, is it?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:50 pm

It's incredibly easy to learn.

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:09 am

Enjl wrote:It's incredibly easy to learn.
This.

At first I thought it would be impossible for me to use it since I never ever learned Lua, but thanks to PGE Wiki tutorials, it somehow sucked me in quickly.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:44 pm

Vary the type of enemies and have something new on every level to keep things fresh.

MrPunchia
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: muncher moment
Pronouns: any

Postby MrPunchia » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:03 pm

Natsu wrote:Vary the type of enemies and have something new on every level to keep things fresh.
This. Nobody wants a level where the NPCs are nothing but the same goombas or koopas

Anyways, this isn't a necessity but I recommend you make the levels slowly get longer as the episode goes on

Eternity
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Eternity » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:25 pm

I'd like to suggest some extra attention to the difficulty curve in episodes. Sure, it shouldn't be all over the place, with "insanely hard level, 'flat stretch of land' difficulty, repeat", but a perfectly smooth difficulty curve isn't really interesting either. Occasionally having (small) difficulty spikes/breather levels is not necessarily bad.

yoshiegg
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby yoshiegg » Sun May 01, 2016 1:29 pm

FanofSMBX wrote: SMW Giant Switch over (nohurt=1) Switch Goomba.
I think, speed=0 or don't move turned to yes would be a good idea in addition to your setting unless you want the switch to move

MrSpoon
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MrSpoon » Tue May 31, 2016 9:25 pm

You know, I was thinking of making a project where most of the entire episode takes place in one giant cave. if you know what Kirby Super Star is, then you'd know. :roll: So, I want to make one humongous level where it's all exploring and trying to find 20 keys for 20 areas in that cave. I want each area to have 4 unique mini-bosses (unique, I mean none mini-bosses are the same in any area) and one giant, stronger variation of an enemy as a guardian for the key. 20 may seem like too much, but I want the cave huge and always bursting with new discoveries. I want the player to when going to a place he/she has been before, find an entrance to a totally new area he/she hasn't explored. :P I don't want the cave to be a very long level going straight, but instead one giant sphere where all directions lead to somewhere new, unique, and a different type of difficulty. :geek: When I mentioned earlier that most of the episode takes place in the cave, I also want secret entrances out of the cave that leads to multiplayer challenges, where 2 players use teamwork to conquer the level. So, do you think 20 areas as big as 4 regular, well-made levels all combined, but specially different is waaaaaay too long? :oops: I really hope not, because when I found SMBX, this was the first thing I though of. :D

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Tue May 31, 2016 9:57 pm

MrSpoon wrote:You know, I was thinking of making a project where most of the entire episode takes place in one giant cave. if you know what Kirby Super Star is, then you'd know. :roll: So, I want to make one humongous level where it's all exploring and trying to find 20 keys for 20 areas in that cave. I want each area to have 4 unique mini-bosses (unique, I mean none mini-bosses are the same in any area) and one giant, stronger variation of an enemy as a guardian for the key. 20 may seem like too much, but I want the cave huge and always bursting with new discoveries. I want the player to when going to a place he/she has been before, find an entrance to a totally new area he/she hasn't explored. :P I don't want the cave to be a very long level going straight, but instead one giant sphere where all directions lead to somewhere new, unique, and a different type of difficulty. :geek: When I mentioned earlier that most of the episode takes place in the cave, I also want secret entrances out of the cave that leads to multiplayer challenges, where 2 players use teamwork to conquer the level. So, do you think 20 areas as big as 4 regular, well-made levels all combined, but specially different is waaaaaay too long? :oops: I really hope not, because when I found SMBX, this was the first thing I though of. :D
This thread isn't really meant to be for getting tips for your own project(s). Instead, it is used for sharing general tips with other creators to suggest how to make episodes better in general (look through the thread to see some examples)

MrSpoon
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MrSpoon » Tue May 31, 2016 9:59 pm

Sorry, I am new in the forums... That was my very first post! I' m a little lost. :oops: :| :?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Tue May 31, 2016 10:03 pm

MrSpoon wrote:Sorry, I am new in the forums... That was my very first post! I' m a little lost. :oops: :| :?
It's okay. To avoid this, it's often a good idea to read the main post of a thread to check to see if there are any guidelines or rules before posting a reply

MrSpoon
Swooper
Swooper

Postby MrSpoon » Tue May 31, 2016 10:14 pm

Boy, I'm so dumb! My projects will never come true if I'm always like this!

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Tue May 31, 2016 10:19 pm

MrSpoon wrote:Boy, I'm so dumb! My projects will never come true if I'm always like this!
These types of posts aren't necessary. You're just pointlessly derailing the topic even more

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:17 pm

I just thought up a good one.

Don't post your project when you've just started it. Only post your project when you're certain that you're going to commit to it and have some reasonable progress made. This is because you may quickly get bored of it and abandon it. Instead, I would post it when it's a third of the way through, for example. That's what game developers do - work on the game behind the scenes and only reveal it when they're certain they're going to get it done by a deadline.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:28 pm

Linik wrote:I just thought up a good one.

Don't post your project when you've just started it. Only post your project when you're certain that you're going to commit to it and have some reasonable progress made. This is because you may quickly get bored of it and abandon it. Instead, I would post it when it's a third of the way through, for example. That's what game developers do - work on the game behind the scenes and only reveal it when they're certain they're going to get it done by a deadline.
I'm personally more a fan of 80%

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:00 pm

Enjl wrote:
Linik wrote:I just thought up a good one.

I'm personally more a fan of 80%
And sadly most projects are like 0-2%

CynicHost
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Flair: heck

Postby CynicHost » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:32 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Enjl wrote: I'm personally more a fan of 80%
And sadly most projects are like 0-2%
I know right? It frustrates me to no end when I see a new project thread and the person only has one level done. Like how are you supposed to even be able to count on them to finish it?!

NightKawata
Spike
Spike

Postby NightKawata » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:21 pm

well just like mighty number 9, you throw money at them and hope for the best

superandrea_04
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Postby superandrea_04 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks for the tips! I'ma gonna make my own episode now! (I didn't make any episodes right now xD...)

Return to “Projects”