Super Mario Island topic

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.

Should I remaster this game for SMBX2? (Same Plot but better, Completely New Worlds and Levels.)

Yes please let’s see how far you come since then.
82%
nah, just fix it for the used engine.
18%
Undecided
No votes

Total votes: 11
RadMetalMarioSMIX
Bit
Bit
Flair: What kind of grave is this?
Pronouns: he/him

Super Mario Island topic

Postby RadMetalMarioSMIX » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:43 pm

Only for 38-A

I don't want to spoil the surprise of the plot. If I get 100 good comments I will make a sequel.

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Please tell what you liked and didn't like don't be afraid too.
This game is finished I won't edit it. I will fix the things in the first one in the second one if I get the comments for the sequel.
Nevermind I'm just gonna edit it anyway.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yx5ef ... enture.zip
Last edited by RadMetalMarioSMIX on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 10 times in total.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Re: Super Mario Island topic

Postby underFlo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:11 pm

Your Episode needs screenshots. PM me or another LJ with them to get this unlocked.

Screens provided, unlocked.

RadMetalMarioSMIX
Bit
Bit

Postby RadMetalMarioSMIX » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:10 pm

The graphics are Deoxys SMBX redrawn.

dagget10
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: she/her

Postby dagget10 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Not everyone has that installed. You have to add them manually.

Playing it right now.

EDIT: Small cutoffs... not too bad

EDIT 2: Damn the levels are short. Also can't beat Birdo level. Stuck on the part with the bill cannons and the water bubbles.

RadMetalMarioSMIX
Bit
Bit

Postby RadMetalMarioSMIX » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:35 pm

If this game gets good reviews I may make a sequel.
So please comment and tell me what you thought good and bad.
I was stuck on Birdo also. however I just used a fire flower as a hit counter.
Have you played SMB 2/USA.
if so that's how you beat birdo.
Have you tried jumping from the bubbles and landing on top of the bill cannons?
dagget10 wrote:Not everyone has that installed. You have to add them manually.
Playing it right now.
EDIT: Small cutoffs... not too bad
EDIT 2: Damn the levels are short. Also can't beat Birdo level. Stuck on the part with the bill cannons and the water bubbles.
I know they don't that's why I told them.
Last edited by bossedit8 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged post

dagget10
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: she/her

Postby dagget10 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:03 pm

Yea, but eventually I can't jump to the next cannon. Also, I have fought Birdo before, if it is JUST Birdo, that part should be easy.

RadMetalMarioSMIX
Bit
Bit

Postby RadMetalMarioSMIX » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:28 pm

dagget10 wrote:Yea, but eventually I can't jump to the next cannon. Also, I have fought Birdo before, if it is JUST Birdo, that part should be easy.
It is just birdo.

RadMetalMarioSMIX
Bit
Bit

Postby RadMetalMarioSMIX » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:48 pm

dagget10 wrote:Yea, but eventually I can't jump to the next cannon. Also, I have fought Birdo before, if it is JUST Birdo, that part should be easy.
well try moving to the very edge of the bubble and then jumping.

RadMetalMarioSMIX
Bit
Bit

Postby RadMetalMarioSMIX » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:48 pm

super mario island_x wrote:
well try moving to the very edge of the bubble and then jumping.
hello guests you can join for free and download SMBX and play all the games and levels you want.
press sign in>register>SMBX home>download SMBX> and then download the games you want.

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:58 pm

super mario island_x wrote: hello guests you can join for free and download SMBX and play all the games and levels you want.
press sign in>register>SMBX home>download SMBX> and then download the games you want.
What are you talking about lol.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:56 pm

Okay...you edited the topic...but forgot to include a download link. I'll have to lock this until you PM me or another Level Judge the episode's download link. Also:
super mario island_x wrote: If I get 100 good comments I will make a sequel.
Good luck with that. Most episode topics don't even get 100 comments period (even some of the featured episodes have less than 5 pages [50 posts] total). I'd say 10-25 is a more reasonable goal, but even that might be too much.

--EDIT--

Download link provided, topic unlocked.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Mon May 11, 2015 6:27 pm

First of all, I'd like to say thanks for making the paths between levels concise (though you should only use one song per level transition instead of two like you did with The Ultimate Challenge); most of the time, even in featured episodes, they're unnecessarily long and make backtracking (or even just progressing normally) take much longer than it should (looking at you, LFftMK).

Anyway, my review:

This episode isn't very good, honestly. All the levels are super-short with predominantly flat block placements and low NPC variety (with some levels having only one type of enemy, if that), and there isn't really anything to distinguish levels between worlds besides the graphics and music; there was no noticeable difference in difficulty as I progressed. It's as though these levels were designed for a randomized endless runner for phones rather than a sequential platformer like Mario. Seriously, the closest the episode got to being an actual platformer were the last two levels. Don't worry, though: none of us were able to make good levels on our first try; you just need more experience. I recommend checking out some of the levels in the Pretty Good section of the Levels sub-forum to get some ideas.

Also, regarding your boss fights, all you did was put the boss by itself in an empty room. This is bad level design, but you're not the only one guilty of it. It happens so often, I made a tutorial on how to properly use SMBX's boss AI to make good boss fights, even if you don't feel like putting forth much effort: http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... =81&t=8890

On top of that, you give the player a hammer suit in World 2, making the boss fights even easier. The hammer suit is quite game-breaking, since it can kill Boos, Podobos, and many other NPCs that are invulnerable to other power-ups, so you should only use it if you design the episode around it (so that the hammer suit doesn't become game-breaking).
On to minor complaints:
When I exited Mario's Castle, I was placed right on top of The Ultimate Challenge. This is because that level has "Game Start" checked, and it's further to the left than Mario's Castle is. You should uncheck "Game Start" from The Ultimate Challenge. Speaking of Mario's Castle, it's unintuitive that the player has to enter the top of the castle to exit the level; I was still exploring the castle, when suddenly, I was on the world map and had to go back in the level to finish exploring (it's not that large, but still). Just add another room for the top of the castle and have "Offscreen Exit" On. Also, I recommend adding "floor" after each number on the sign since I thought that it was referring to the doors at first. You should also change the "Mario out here..." text to read "Mario! Come out here!" to make it more obvious what that message is supposed to represent.

Now, the levels' minor flaws:
  1. In Lv 1, the first couple of Goombas fall right into a pit, making them pointless. There's also some cutoff in this level and Lv 3.
  2. In Lv 2, you have a pipe with neither a Piranha Plant nor warp to go with it, making it seem out of place. Also, it's unintuitive to have swim-able waterfalls.
  3. In Lv 3, you have one giant square of water for each of the bubbles instead of arranging single-unit large water units into the shape of a ♦ for more accurate water collision.
    Example (in case I didn't explain it well enough):
  4. In Lv 4, you have an invisible block above a large Bullet Bill cannon. First of all, it's invisible, so nobody will know that it's there (this is true for all invisible blocks unless you indicate them with coins or something), but if someone does think to jump up there and ends up falling off the right side of the cannon, he/she will get stuck and the only way to escape would be to exit out of SMBX completely. I recommend extending the section to the right a bit, moving the invisible block down to the right side of the cannon, making it visible, and adding a way back over the Bullet Bill cannon.
  5. In Lv 7, the rocks are slippery...why? Sure, there's no vanilla-graphics tile-set with snowy slopes, but it's still a bit unintuitive to make what appear to be obviously non-slippery tiles slippery.
  6. Lv 8 is a good example of this episode's lack of a difficulty curve; it's no harder than Lv 1, even if the player doesn't have the hammer suit.
  7. In Lv 9, you have a toad say "estalished" when it's spelled "established." Either way, replacing that word with "found out" would make more sense.
  8. In Lv 10, you have a pipe at the beginning that warps past the pipe that leads to secret exit, which is the strangest way I've seen anyone try to hide a secret exit. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying that the way you implemented it just makes it seem strange. Also, since the SMB3 Bowser triggers the credits and sends the player back to SMBX's title screen when "Legacy Boss" is set to "Yes," the only way to make it to Mario's Victory is by finding the secret exit. Again, I'm not saying that having the secret exit lead off somewhere while having the main exit end the game is a bad idea; I'm just saying it seems like you didn't intend for it to happen this way since the level is called "Mario's Victory," but the player doesn't have to fight Bowser to access it (and, furthermore, can't access it by defeating Bowser).
  9. I'm 99% sure that The Ultimate Challenge cannot be beaten without a Tanooki suit, mainly because the Racoon Leaf isn't available in this episode. The level isn't even that hard for the most part, but the part where the player has to jump from one pool of water to the next is nearly impossible, if not completely impossible (at least as small Mario). Not only does the jump have to be incredibly precise (assuming it can be made at all), you make the player do the same thing three times in a row, which is just repetitive and lazy design. Also, if the player does come to the level with a Tanooki suit, he/she can get a decent-enough running start with the blocks that are one unit apart from each other and fly over everything else in the level. Plus, there's this:
    Since the background you use wasn't coded properly (not your fault), the background and graphics on the right side of the section will glitch. I recommend moving the right-boundary of the section to the left until it's one unit to the right of the invisible 1-up.
In conclusion:
This is the most amateurish episode I've played, but like I wrote earlier, you just need more practice. The more you practice, the better you'll get at making levels, and before you know it, you'll be able to make Pretty Good levels yourself.

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby AirSeus » Tue May 12, 2015 6:16 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:First of all, I'd like to say thanks for making the paths between levels concise (though you should only use one song per level transition instead of two like you did with The Ultimate Challenge); most of the time, even in featured episodes, they're unnecessarily long and make backtracking (or even just progressing normally) take much longer than it should (looking at you, LFftMK).

Anyway, my review:

This episode isn't very good, honestly. All the levels are super-short with predominantly flat block placements and low NPC variety (with some levels having only one type of enemy, if that), and there isn't really anything to distinguish levels between worlds besides the graphics and music; there was no noticeable difference in difficulty as I progressed. It's as though these levels were designed for a randomized endless runner for phones rather than a sequential platformer like Mario. Seriously, the closest the episode got to being an actual platformer were the last two levels. Don't worry, though: none of us were able to make good levels on our first try; you just need more experience. I recommend checking out some of the levels in the Pretty Good section of the Levels sub-forum to get some ideas.

Also, regarding your boss fights, all you did was put the boss by itself in an empty room. This is bad level design, but you're not the only one guilty of it. It happens so often, I made a tutorial on how to properly use SMBX's boss AI to make good boss fights, even if you don't feel like putting forth much effort: http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... =81&t=8890

On top of that, you give the player a hammer suit in World 2, making the boss fights even easier. The hammer suit is quite game-breaking, since it can kill Boos, Podobos, and many other NPCs that are invulnerable to other power-ups, so you should only use it if you design the episode around it (so that the hammer suit doesn't become game-breaking).
On to minor complaints:
When I exited Mario's Castle, I was placed right on top of The Ultimate Challenge. This is because that level has "Game Start" checked, and it's further to the left than Mario's Castle is. You should uncheck "Game Start" from The Ultimate Challenge. Speaking of Mario's Castle, it's unintuitive that the player has to enter the top of the castle to exit the level; I was still exploring the castle, when suddenly, I was on the world map and had to go back in the level to finish exploring (it's not that large, but still). Just add another room for the top of the castle and have "Offscreen Exit" On. Also, I recommend adding "floor" after each number on the sign since I thought that it was referring to the doors at first. You should also change the "Mario out here..." text to read "Mario! Come out here!" to make it more obvious what that message is supposed to represent.

1. In Lv 1, the first couple of Goombas fall right into a pit, making them pointless. There's also some cutoff in this level and Lv 3.
  2. In Lv 2, you have a pipe with neither a Piranha Plant nor warp to go with it, making it seem out of place. Also, it's unintuitive to have swim-able waterfalls.
  3. In Lv 3, you have one giant square of water for each of the bubbles instead of arranging single-unit large water units into the shape of a ♦ for more accurate water collision.
  4. In Lv 4, you have an invisible block above a large Bullet Bill cannon. First of all, it's invisible, so nobody will know that it's there (this is true for all invisible blocks unless you indicate them with coins or something), but if someone does think to jump up there and ends up falling off the right side of the cannon, he/she will get stuck and the only way to escape would be to exit out of SMBX completely. I recommend extending the section to the right a bit, moving the invisible block down to the right side of the cannon, making it visible, and adding a way back over the Bullet Bill cannon.
  5. In Lv 7, the rocks are slippery...why? Sure, there's no vanilla-graphics tile-set with snowy slopes, but it's still a bit unintuitive to make what appear to be obviously non-slippery tiles slippery.
  6. Lv 8 is a good example of this episode's lack of a difficulty curve; it's no harder than Lv 1, even if the player doesn't have the hammer suit.
  7. In Lv 9, you have a toad say "estalished" when it's spelled "established." Either way, replacing that word with "found out" would make more sense.
  8. In Lv 10, you have a pipe at the beginning that warps past the pipe that leads to secret exit, which is the strangest way I've seen anyone try to hide a secret exit. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying that the way you implemented it just makes it seem strange. Also, since the SMB3 Bowser triggers the credits and sends the player back to SMBX's title screen when "Legacy Boss" is set to "Yes," the only way to make it to Mario's Victory is by finding the secret exit. Again, I'm not saying that having the secret exit lead off somewhere while having the main exit end the game is a bad idea; I'm just saying it seems like you didn't intend for it to happen this way since the level is called "Mario's Victory," but the player doesn't have to fight Bowser to access it (and, furthermore, can't access it by defeating Bowser).
  9. I'm 99% sure that The Ultimate Challenge cannot be beaten without a Tanooki suit, mainly because the Racoon Leaf isn't available in this episode. The level isn't even that hard for the most part, but the part where the player has to jump from one pool of water to the next is nearly impossible, if not completely impossible (at least as small Mario). Not only does the jump have to be incredibly precise (assuming it can be made at all), you make the player do the same thing three times in a row, which is just repetitive and lazy design. Also, if the player does come to the level with a Tanooki suit, he/she can get a decent-enough running start with the blocks that are one unit apart from each other and fly over everything else in the level. Plus, there's this:
    Since the background you use wasn't coded properly (not your fault), the background and graphics on the right side of the section will glitch. I recommend moving the right-boundary of the section to the left until it's one unit to the right of the invisible 1-up.
In conclusion:
This is the most amateurish episode I've played, but like I wrote earlier, you just need more practice. The more you practice, the better you'll get at making levels, and before you know it, you'll be able to make Pretty Good levels yourself.
This is like the first episode full review like this lol.
To be honest, the levels are a bit flat at times, if you plan to update this episods, then could you make it a little bit less flat, other than that, it looks alright!

Don-Duro
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Don-Duro » Sat May 20, 2017 1:48 am

why i can't play this episode at smbx 1.3.0.1?

Ryuji231
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Ryuji231 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:40 pm

a lil short, but a tough short.

I'd play a sequel.

Westretroman
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Westretroman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:28 am

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:First of all, I'd like to say thanks for making the paths between levels concise (though you should only use one song per level transition instead of two like you did with The Ultimate Challenge); most of the time, even in featured episodes, they're unnecessarily long and make backtracking (or even just progressing normally) take much longer than it should (looking at you, LFftMK).

Anyway, my review:

On to minor complaints:

In conclusion:
Actually, I got past the "The Ultimate Challenge" level without a tanooki suit as small Mario, but I have to agree, the part where you jump from one pool of water to the next is just a way to increase difficulty which doesn't work in this case.

aa
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby aa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:06 am

Here's a walkthrough I made :

https://youtu.be/gGsHY0j3eJU
Honestly, if you want to get better, make some levels, practice to get better. Learn from your mistakes

RadMetalMarioSMIX
Bit
Bit

Postby RadMetalMarioSMIX » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:40 pm

Don-Duro wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 1:48 am
why i can't play this episode at smbx 1.3.0.1?
It’s only made for 38-A

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:54 pm

Would be good if you stated this in the first post for the time being

Sandomer
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Sandomer » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:51 pm

gameplay of this episode is very good but lenght is very short, design neutral and there is very easy to get 2 best power ups (suit and hammers)
episode 7,69/10

Return to “Episodes”