Off-topic discussion.
Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Re: What Type Of PC Do You Have?

Postby Julia Pseudo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:15 am

A Mac is objectively a personal computer, even if it doesn't usually fall into the category of "PC" (in the Mac vs. PC debate, for example). I'm not sure where that whole nomenclature came from, but a Mac really should be considered a PC.

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Magician » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:43 am

I could easily guess that it's something to do with marketing. Apple wants to avoid terminology that makes its products seem similar to their competition. To their credit, though, they actually set themselves apart well enough without having to BS people into not calling something what it actually is. It just calls the necessity of the blatantly false argument into question. I can fully understand that Macs are built differently and with different hardware goals in mind than other personal computers without actually confusing them with Dells or HPs, because I'm not an idiot. Though then again, I dunno. Maybe a lot of people are. Maybe it's the passion behind the phrase "A Mac is NOT a PC" that convinces people more than actual technical details.

Then again, Nintendo builds their consoles differently from how Sony and Microsoft apparently build consoles and they don't go around telling people that a "Nintendo" is not a console.
(Actually that might yet happen if Nintendo wants to stay in the market...)

Bj007pro

Postby Bj007pro » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Mac wants to Sell there Hardware and Microsoft just want to sell there Product, thats why Its on third-parties monitors

Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Postby Danny » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:15 am

Depends on which one we're talking about, I own three, not including my servers.

My main computer is a Windows Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 2) that runs Windows XP Home Edition on the Oracle Virtualbox. The manufacturer is Acer, it's an Aspire M5630 model with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU (E4500) at 2.19/2.20 GHz. It has 3.00 GB of RAM and it's a 32-bit OS. I play SMBX, make Adventure of Knux comics, and sprite on this computer, I also use it for social things regarding the Internet.

My secondary computer is my gaming PC, I don't have the specs right now, but I'll post them once I get them (I haven't been on the PC in 3 weeks).

My servers, or should I say my old XP, is a Windows XP Home Premium that I modified with 4.00 GB of RAM, it doesn't have a graphics card installed, nor a sound card, but it can run almost all of my servers. (Minecraft, Terraria, Garry's Mod, etc.). There isn't really anything special at all about it besides the fact that it was my first computer.

meowflash

Postby meowflash » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:43 pm

Windows 8.1. Nuff said.

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:13 pm

meowflash wrote:Windows 8.1. Nuff said.
I just upgraded mine to an 8.1 fresh install. Loving it. Can't wait to start making some store apps once I get some ideas.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real
Pronouns: he/him

Postby krakin » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:50 pm

chromebook: show
I have three computers in total, one of which is a refurbished Acer C740 Chromebook I bought online at Walmart a few months ago, but I'm currently not using it because I had managed to break both the screen and the keyboard on it in a fit of rage. None of the keys work on it anymore, and I had to hook up a keyboard and plug it in to an external monitor to move some of my files off of it. It has Linux Mint 19.2 installed as the OS; the Chromebook can't receive updates for ChromeOS anymore and I was feeling curious about the look and feel of a Linux distro. I wasn't able to get any newer versions of Mint running on it because of the horrible screen flashing whenever the splash screen appeared. The Chromebook didn't run Mint well anyways; it would frequently lag and freeze up because it only has 4GB of RAM and a weak Celeron 3205U CPU processor, so I mostly used it for web browsing since the small size of the SSD (16GB) was very limiting as well.
thinkpad: show
I have a new laptop that I bought off of eBay a couple months ago. It's a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 2 that probably would've had Windows 8 on it if it had an SSD or HDD, but It didn't come with any internal storage or a charging cable, so I had to buy those separately. I got a Hyundai external 240 GB USB SSD because I had nothing that I could use to open the laptop up and put an internal SSD in with. After trying to figure out for an hour how I could get Windows 11 to work on an external drive, I used the Rufus installation on my desktop to create it for me. This laptop definitely runs better than my Chromebook, it has 4GB of RAM, but the i5 4300U CPU is an improvement from the Celeron. That is to say it still has its issues; the USB C cable that connects the SSD to the laptop will frequently lose connection just from how the cable is bent. It also tends to bluescreen depending on the game I'm playing.
optiplex: show
The last PC I have is the first one I bought with my own money off of Walmart, a Dell OptiPlex 990 SFF with 8 GB of RAM that has a hard drive, but I put an SSD in it because I got tired of how slow it was when it booted up. It was sluggish when it originally had Windows 10 on it, it was sluggish when I switched to Linux Mint, and it was sluggish when I moved to Windows 11, but after I put in the SSD it was noticeably faster and more responsive. It came with a USB Wi-Fi dongle because it didn't have a Wi-Fi card already installed on it. The USB dongle sucks though, and I know this is an issue with the dongle and not my internet connection because none of my other devices that are connected to the internet have this problem where websites take forever to load and download speeds drop to zero. I had gotten a GeForce GT 720 graphics card for it so I could play more demanding games, but by the time I got my ThinkPad, it was sitting in my closet because I didn't see a need to have a desktop computer when I got a laptop that can do most of the same things that it can. Not to mention the graphics card wasn't in a small form factor, so the computer was just sitting on my desk with its internals exposed because the card was sticking out too far and the top cover couldn't go on as a result.

Giggs-Chan
Rex
Rex

Postby Giggs-Chan » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:44 am

Acer Nitro 5

Return to “Sandbox”