Fiery Fields [Re-Review]

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Fiery Fields [Re-Review]

Postby RudeGuy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:18 pm

A level created for the only purpose of posting a level here. It's a lava grassland-cave level, which has world 8 difficult. Hope you'll enjoy it.
EDIT: Also, sometimes it might lag, but not for so much.

Screenshots

Big ones:
Spoiler: show
Small ones:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Download (updated!)
Last edited by RudeGuy on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

silent_
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Re: Fiery Fields

Postby silent_ » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:34 pm

Looks hard as fuck, but fun. The tileset's generic but acceptable.

I'll play this later and drop by a review, maybe.

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:00 pm

UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of FIERY FIELDS by RUDEGUY07

Neat SMW fire level! It was hard tho D:

Design (8/10)
This level was brutally difficult. Definitely suitable for a World 8 level, maybe even a bonus world level. The fire cannons were implented very well, as well as the moving lava. However, the lava ceilings felt a bit unfair, especially in the first cave section. There was also a huge abundance of enemies, but it wasn't too overwhelming, so good job there.

Atmosphere (9/10)
This level looked amazing and I can tell that a TON of effort was put into just its apearance. Really, my only complaint here is the music. It was a bit grating, and it doesn't help that the song played throughout the whole level.

Other Comments: This level was on fire! :3

Overall 8.5/10 (Pretty Good)
A very difficult level, but a well-executed one. Good job!

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:04 am

I agree with Turtwig: this is a pretty good level. Not only is there a nice variety of enemies and obstacles to keep things interesting, but there's even a split path in Section 3 where the player can choose which way to go. Something else I like is that, unlike LFftMK, you actually have a different block set aside for not-Bullet-Bill-Cannons (except the first one, for some reason). However, the song choice wasn't the best due to its repetitiveness and former use in LFftMK, but it did give the level a bit of a hectic feel. Also, I'm a bit surprised that you didn't make the Bullet Bill Cannons invulnerable to the ice flower. That's not a flaw; it just seemed unintentional. The moving lava can also be a bit annoying since they pause after moving, which can force the player to wait; sure, it's not too long of a wait, but it's there. Also, there's these:

Summary:
GOOD:
--VARIETY OF ENEMIES
-Block placement compliments NPC placement well.
-Graphics aren't terrible.
-Music fits the level okay.
-Differentiation between Bullet Bill Cannons and flame/projectile cannons.

BAD:
-Music is repetitive.
-Initial flame cannon is also a Bullet Bill Cannon.
-Lava pauses.
-Jumping flame (see video).
-Switch switches conveyor belt without switching graphics (see video).

In conclusion: Similar to Treetop [something], this is a very well made level with some clever design choices, but it has a few flaws that bring it down. I'd say this deserves an 8/10.

ShadowStarX
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Bronze Yoshi Egg
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ShadowStarX » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:21 pm

Moved back to levels forum bc the creator requested me and updated the download link.

EDIT:

Fiery Fields re-review

Design & Gameplay: 9/10 (counts 70%)
Let's start with the difficulty: the level is very hard, but not unfair yet, I can imagine this level as a final world or bonus world level. The powerup vs. enemy ratio is well balanced. The npc variety isn't too big but isn't too low either, and the placement of coins and npcs is wel done to. The level is fun to play and has some amount of replay value. And I saw your effort in the level too. Also, the level doesn't really cause the player to ragequit, which is a good thing for a challenge level and the creativity also can help the player. I have to mention I likedthe multiple paths and multiple gimmicks too, so the level didn't feel repetitive.

Atmosphere & Visuals: 9/10 (counts 30%)
I liked the whole atmosphere of the level. There is a decent amount of BGOs, the music fits well in the level and there's no graphical flaw such as clash or cutoffs. In summary, the level has a really good lava atmosphere.

Score: 9/10
Moved to 'The Best'
Last edited by glitch4 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Review

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Re: Fiery Fields [Re-Review]

Postby Erik » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:47 pm

I like the level!, there is fair, yet hard difficulty. The atmosphere is also very nice, good job!

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Re: Fiery Fields [Re-Review]

Postby RudeGuy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:53 pm

Oh nice this got in the best.
Thanks for review I guess.

Return to “The Best”