ben
Tweeter
Tweeter

Re: Is your English native or not?

Postby ben » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:14 pm

Cedur wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:07 pm
I'd say a dictionary is more reliable.
Koopulution wrote: That and Google Translate is pretty limited grammar wise. It can't derive grammar and syntax in certain languages, and there's only so many words that are verified correct.
I've also had the experience that Google's translator isn't supposed to be very good. However, there have been times when I was satisfied with his translation.

I didn't think to write that I would use other translators on the Internet if I wanted to. For example "Deepl" and "Pons".
If I am satisfied with the translation of a translator, I will use the English I learned at school to decide whether I want to use the text for this forum or whether I want to change it.

Since it is easier to translate several sentences quickly with translators on the Internet, I think it is better to use them for translations of several sentences than a dictionary.

But that can also be seen differently.

And of course: If anyone doesn't understand what I've written, he or she can ask me. :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@ Koopulution: Welcome here. :)
Last edited by ben on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lucario
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: A beginner Mario-level modder that also uses SMBX.
Pronouns: He/him/

Postby Lucario » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:49 am

I'm brazillian (NO "YOU'RE GOING TO BRAZIL" MEMES PLZ) and I love my country but honestly, I prefer English than my own language, Brazillian Portuguese (yes, it is different than Portuguese Portuguese, pronounces are distinct)

smoke40
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: smoke40!!!
Pronouns: he/they

Postby smoke40 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:23 am

i'm from finland and my native language is finnish, but i like to think i'm pretty decent at speaking english and could pass online as a native speaker. i've been playing english video games since i was like five years old, which has really helped me along with talking online for the past five years or so. my pronunciation is pretty bad though kinda half intentionally because i like speaking dumb rally english lol

Lucario
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: A beginner Mario-level modder that also uses SMBX.
Pronouns: He/him/

Postby Lucario » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:59 am

SE40 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:23 am
i'm from finland and my native language is finnish, but i like to think i'm pretty decent at speaking english and could pass online as a native speaker. i've been playing english video games since i was like five years old, which has really helped me along with talking online for the past five years or so. my pronunciation is pretty bad though kinda half intentionally because i like speaking dumb rally english lol
Same, Yoshi. But instead of knowing a lot of words, my dad said that I have a near-identical USA pronounciation. I tried to talk english, play games in english, watched TV in english with english dub and sub, and more! I tried to learn english when I was 3 or 4... I didn't understand a thing... :| But now I do! :D :lol:

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real
Pronouns: he/him

Postby krakin » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:03 am

My grandmother was from Germany, but that doesn't mean I can speak German. I was trying to learn some but got sidetracked and forgot what little bit of what I picked up.

P4VL0VSKEY
Tweeter
Tweeter
Flair: Multi-talented
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby P4VL0VSKEY » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:17 am

I am Polish and my native language is Polish. However, I have been learning English for over 11 years, since I was 4. Currently in my lyceum, I am studying English at B1 level.

TheNightingale
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: I don't know anything

Postby TheNightingale » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:26 pm

English is not my native language and I have never been in English classes, but I mostly learned about it thanks to this community, yes

computerfan0
Snifit
Snifit
Flair: Eejit
Pronouns: it/he/they

Postby computerfan0 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:06 am

I am a native English speaker. Even though some might think that Irish people speak in the Irish language, very few actually use it for anything other than passing exams.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Fuyu » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:39 am

Nope

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus

Postby FutureNyanCat » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:48 am

English is actually native here in my country, the Philippines. That and the Filipino language are both the official languages of my country.This is actually my first language I was ever taught since my days of yore, so I could technically consider myself as a native English speaker.

Much of my family uses the English language to communicate. While my parents usually communicate in Tagalog/Filipino, they always communicate with me in the English language, and I pretty much learned a lot of the language from them. What also adds up to that is them exposing me to shows and games that are in the English language, like Barney and Super Mario (OBVIOUSLY lol).

Fun fact: There's also a Philippine English, which is the one I'm more used to when speaking English with my friends or family. It is a variant of English native to the Philippines that uses a unique set of vocabulary meanings, such as "sari-sari store" to refer to the general convenience store, and "open and close" for toggling lights.

francisbaud
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby francisbaud » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:45 pm

I'm Canadian but my first language is French. I often use Linguee (the translation tools) to get a better idea on how to create sentences, thanks to multiple examples (with context) of documents that have been translated.

Sux
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Sux » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:28 pm

My native language is portuguese and I'm able to understand spanish too. I can say I learned english alone on internet (mostly in this forum)
Last edited by Sux on Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luna
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: Cuteness overload <3
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Luna » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:33 pm

My English isn't native either, I'm from Germany and German is my native language.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo

Postby krakin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:59 pm

Could've had me fooled, your English is perfect

YourLocalHungarian
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: poggers champ

Postby YourLocalHungarian » Sun May 16, 2021 10:45 am

as you might've seen by my username i'm not english at all but all the teachers that i've come across (and even people that have been born into the english language) say that i'm quite good at it. might be because i've started learning english on my own instead of getting it forced in school. now here i am speaking hungarian, german and english on the daily, i'm currently learning spanish in school and i can kinda speak romanian but it has rusted down quite a lot over the years (it's an "i understand it more than i can speak it" kind of thing)

krakin
Birdo
Birdo

Postby krakin » Mon May 17, 2021 4:36 pm

I'm seeing a lot of posts where I's aren't capitalized, like in "i'm" and "i'll". I'm guessing this is a habit for people who speak a language where the equivalent isn't capitalized either (yo, ich, je, etc.)

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Mon May 17, 2021 6:01 pm

Rhosty wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 4:36 pm
I'm seeing a lot of posts where I's aren't capitalized, like in "i'm" and "i'll". I'm guessing this is a habit for people who speak a language where the equivalent isn't capitalized either (yo, ich, je, etc.)

or it's just a matter of informality

krakin
Birdo
Birdo

Postby krakin » Mon May 17, 2021 6:03 pm

Cedur wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:01 pm
Rhosty wrote:

or it's just a matter of informality
Yeah, that too, now that I'm thinking about it, I've done this too before lol

Sonya Sanchez
Rinka
Rinka
Flair: Robotic
Pronouns: They/Them

Postby Sonya Sanchez » Tue May 18, 2021 10:35 am

Rhosty wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of posts where I's aren't capitalized, like in "I'm" and "I'll". I'm guessing this is a habit for people who speak a language where the equivalent isn't capitalized either (yo, ich, JE, etc.)
From what I learned in the schools in Germany, WE only capitalize when it's at the start or after a Point (. or ! or? for example)

It's different though when you write someone a Mail, there you also capitalize when you address the other Person every time!

MarioFan171
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: #АиҟәаАбынҳәараАхьӡыррын

Postby MarioFan171 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:00 am

EN:
I'm an English Speaker but, English is both not and my native language (Because i live in the Philippines and NOT in Turkmenistan being the only Turkmen Speaker here and English and Filipino are both the Official Languages in the Philippines.). It supposed to be Filipino (which is an Austronesian Language, Meaning All Filipinos were descendants from Australia and Polynesia) but i Speak Turkmen which is a Oghuz Turkic Language in the forums (which i can't orally speak very well and i use Google Translate) while English is a North Germanic Language. I Sometimes speak Kazakh which is a Kipchak Turkic Language.

TK:
Men iňlis dilinde gürleýän, ýöne iňlis dili hem meniň ene dilim däl (Sebäbi men Filippinlerde ýaşaýaryn we Türkmenistanda däl, bu ýerde ýeke-täk türkmen gürleýjisi we iňlis we filippinler ikisi hem Filippinleriň resmi dilleridir.) Filippinliler bolmaly (bu Awstraliýa dili, ähli filippinliler Awstraliýadan we Polineziýadan gelip çykýardy), ýöne forumlarda Oguz türk dili bolan türkmenleri gürleýärin (dilden gaty gowy gürläp bilemok we Google Terjimesini ulanýaryn) ) iňlis dili bolsa nemes dili. Käwagt gypjak türk dili bolan gazak dilinde gürleýärin.

PH:
Ako ay isang nagsasalita ng Ingles ngunit, ang Ingles ay kapwa hindi at ang aking katutubong wika (Dahil nakatira ako sa Pilipinas at HINDI sa Turkmenistan na nag-iisa lamang ang Turkmen Speaker dito at ang Ingles at Filipino ay parehong Opisyal na Mga Wika sa Pilipinas.). Ito ay dapat na isang Filipino (na isang Wika ng Austronesian, Ibig sabihin Lahat ng mga Pilipino ay nagmula sa Australia at Polynesia) ngunit nagsasalita ako ng Turkmen na isang Oghuz Turko na Wika sa mga forum (na hindi ko masyadong nasasalita nang mahusay at ginagamit ko ang Google Translate ) habang ang Ingles ay isang Wika ng Hilagang Aleman. Minsan nagsasalita ako ng Kazakh na isang Kipchak Turkic Wika.
Added in 7 minutes 22 seconds:
FutureNyanCat2014 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:48 am
English is actually native here in my country, the Philippines. That and the Filipino language are both the official languages of my country.This is actually my first language I was ever taught since my days of yore, so I could technically consider myself as a native English speaker.

Much of my family uses the English language to communicate. While my parents usually communicate in Tagalog/Filipino, they always communicate with me in the English language, and I pretty much learned a lot of the language from them. What also adds up to that is them exposing me to shows and games that are in the English language, like Barney and Super Mario (OBVIOUSLY lol).

Fun fact: There's also a Philippine English, which is the one I'm more used to when speaking English with my friends or family. It is a variant of English native to the Philippines that uses a unique set of vocabulary meanings, such as "sari-sari store" to refer to the general convenience store, and "open and close" for toggling lights.
Same but i Know only 22% of Filipino which is not that proper fluency. I Use English and Turkmen the Most.

Return to “Sandbox”