BRKS Sub-Corporation RX (CC10 4th Place)

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

BRKS Sub-Corporation RX (CC10 4th Place)

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:27 pm

Hello guys. This is my strange and creepy level, but is nice. I like my position ! I hope reviews and feedback. :)

Screens
Spoiler: show
Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tybg9nuomhwso ... X.zip?dl=0

Reviews
Spoiler: show
4. Shinbison-Kof - BRKS Sub-Corporation RX (8.82/10)
Chad (8.6/10)
This level sure has a lot going for it. It does a great job at presenting an underground sci-fi base theme. The design is really interesting, with a variety of neat technological gimmicks such as lasers, toggling platforms, elevators, and flickering lights to give the player plenty to work with. The enemies are intriguingly creepy, I enjoyed the moving lava segment and how you thoughtfully made it stop to prevent overloading the level, the darkness gimmick is especially well executed, and the rising lava section at the end isn't too demanding considering everything that comes before it. The level isn't without its issues, though. One consistently present problem is that all the detail, though excellent-looking on its own, made it more difficult to tell what's solid and what's not. It's mostly not a big deal, but sometimes the scenery will look similar to a platform and it'll be a little unclear how you're supposed to progress, especially where laser generators are concerned. This isn't helped by the fact that the laser sounds are playing through the ENTIRE level despite only encountering them a few times, so that's annoying at first but eventually I started to tune it out and it loses its effect as an indicator. A better way to do this in a level this size would be graphically, like removing the sound but making them a different color or faded scenery versions when they're about to appear (and don't make them lava, that's mean). Also, the ghost coins don't accomplish much of anything, and look like regular coins. They could reward you with a Mushroom or 1up or something. Another potential problem is that the midpoint should be just before the block train, because it has an unclear path and you have to redo everything because of it if you die. Finally, the explosion at the very end nearly knocked me off the pipe and into the lava near the star, and that would be another incredibly lousy way to die. Other than those, this level is quite good. It's immense, it's got a ton of exploration, an interesting story, and a lot of challenges to keep the player invested. It definitely requires frameskip-disabling though, so take note, players!

Joey (8.0/10)
This was quite an interesting level. The thing that bothered me the most was how much was going on graphically, to the point where it was hard to tell what you can jump on and what you can't. There needs to be more differentiation between what is there to look cool and what is there to be useful to the player; it's great to make the useful stuff look cool, but do so in a different way from all the other cool stuff. I had a lot of lag playing this level, but was able to finish it. Pretty good overall.

Layla (9.3/10)
This level has a truly astounding atmosphere, and a truly astounding on nearly everything it does. The music plays onto the downright astounding graphics, using modified versions of GFX I've seen before as well as a lot of new custom stuff that adds onto this subterranean lab kind of them to it. I couldn't count the number of different gimmicks you used and the fact that you used them all flawlessly. You put a LOT of different things in this level, whether it's the gimmicks (hello flickering lights, flipping platforms, lasers, etc), NPCs (Hello grudge girl) and tileset mixing (Hello Steins;lab). What's an issue with the level? Maybe it's just because of my computer and how incredibly slow it moved, but I didn't have too much fun playing the level. I would also like to point out towards the end there's a toad placed right under a warp pipe. That toad is in a godawful position. The switch from that trippy industrial music to the SM item room music also eats at the atmosphere at the end of the level.

Valtteri (8.8/10)
The floating Jesus is pretty weird. =P This level is filled with detail. It looks absolutely gorgeous. It feels like an underground laboratory research central thing. It's perfect! The lasers are old but still cool. I'm not a fan of the platforms that constantly disappear for a few seconds, they just feel like a waste of time for me. While the level gets really creative with all the explosion effects, and varying platform rides, the weird-looking enemies kind of ruin it for me. Not entirely but they affect the atmosphere. Or maybe it's just me. Maybe the silly looks of them supports the overall atmosphere a Mario game should have. They're still zombies, though. :/ The malfunctioning lights near the end are really cool, it really feels like a blackout with the flashing. Good job on that. Thanks Mario =D

zlakergirl357 (9.4/10)
A stunning level. The design in this level is amazing and innovating. The whole concept of the level is amazing and very original. The gimmicks in this wasn't that well used however it they were nice additions. The atmosphere is what you nailed in this level. The placement of the different NPCs was well, however a bit overwhelming. Overall an amazing level and I loved it! I can imagine this winning the contest. Guess: Shinbison-Kof
I hope enjoy! :)

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: BRKS Sub-Corporation RX (CC10 4th Place)

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:23 am

ah, i see you used some Cave Story graphics, looks cool, i'll try it out

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:43 am

Thanks guys! :)

@GamerKid: Well you can use this, but I did the most graphics, but has graphics of other guys ...

- Robotic spiny and koopa by Emral ( recolored by me)
- Oil ocean background (night) by AirShip ( simple recolor by me)
- "Magnetic" platform by Andregemeo23
- SMW urban tileset by SMM ( but I added various details, like "pipes")
- Small gray pipes by Airship ( I add some details)
- Lab door by Emral ( recolored by me)
- "Cave wall" bgos by reghrhre? (recolored by me)

The rest I did, sorry if I forgot someone.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Darkonius Mavakar:Well, only the Bg is of Cave Story ( I clipped the cave Bgo, after I mix with Metroid background) XD

Aviici
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby Aviici » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:56 pm

This level is really awesome! I like the tricks like the lasers, ligth, etc. The general atmosphere is great the desing of the level is really good, this level is AWESOME!

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:36 pm

Aviici wrote:This level is really awesome! I like the tricks like the lasers, ligth, etc. The general atmosphere is great the desing of the level is really good, this level is AWESOME!
Thanks guy! :)

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Playthrough made:

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQV7tgA8fzY

Witchking666
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg

Postby Witchking666 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:18 am

I watched the level on youtube and i extremely liked it. I did not like the girl-ghost thing. But for the rest it was awesome the cave fits good with the factory and the use of those layers was awesome

Erik
Eerie
Eerie

Postby Erik » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:34 pm

witchking666 wrote:I watched the level on youtube and i extremely liked it. I did not like the girl-ghost thing. But for the rest it was awesome the cave fits good with the factory and the use of those layers was awesome
I believe I saw that girl ghost thing before.
If I remember good it's also in Super Mario Fusion Revival

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:08 pm

@Bossedit8: Thanks for the nice playthrough/video !! =)
witchking666 wrote:I watched the level on youtube and i extremely liked it. I did not like the girl-ghost thing. But for the rest it was awesome the cave fits good with the factory and the use of those layers was awesome

@witchking666:Thanks guy! ^^
Ludwig von Koopa wrote: I believe I saw that girl ghost thing before.
If I remember good it's also in Super Mario Fusion Revival
@Ludwig von Koopa: Really, SMFR inspired me XD

Return to “The Best”