Level Design Tips

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Re: Level Design Tips

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:00 am

Enjl wrote:E: ALSO!!!
The fan-favourite episode Super Mario Star Expedition didn't hide its secrets either. They were in pipes that extended to the edge of the section, rather than disappearing into the ground. Basically the same system and just as obvious after the player has been taught.
I feel like that's a better choice than having differently colored pipes for secet exits, since it allows for some better asthetic variety.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:25 am

Snessy the duck wrote:
The fan-favourite episode Super Mario Star Expedition didn't hide its secrets either. They were in pipes that extended to the edge of the section, rather than disappearing into the ground. Basically the same system and just as obvious after the player has been taught.
I feel like that's a better choice than having differently colored pipes for secet exits, since it allows for some better asthetic variety.
That really really depends on what you're going for. There are scenarios in which the colour-coded pipes suit the level's design better. The colour code by alucard works really well for just about any standard episode, where its repetitive pattern can easily be taught to the player.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:04 am

Enjl wrote:
Snessy the duck wrote:
That really really depends on what you're going for. There are scenarios in which the colour-coded pipes suit the level's design better. The colour code by alucard works really well for just about any standard episode, where its repetitive pattern can easily be taught to the player.
Yeah, you're right. I could imagine the SMSE system to be a disadvantage in some levels, like levels made entirely out of pipes.

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:37 pm

Or just any level that wants a secret pipe to be in the middle of a section.

The0x539
Eerie
Eerie

Postby The0x539 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:56 pm

MrPunchia wrote:if you need to use text to explain a mechanic, you're doing something wrong
There is an exception for specifically naming buttons.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:48 pm

The0x539 wrote:
MrPunchia wrote:if you need to use text to explain a mechanic, you're doing something wrong
There is an exception for specifically naming buttons.
Doesn't apply when you can change what buttons do.

Anyone else tired of the formula of:

TIP 123: Do a general thing so that you can be good at level design.
Tip poster: *rebuttal*
TIP: 124: Do a general thing so that you can be good at level design.

I've asked this before, but who is reading through this entire thread for tips on a level they're making? This thread is just running like a forum game with tips, there's repeat tips, plenty more bad/useless advice than good, and I even made a color coded compilation of all the tips to showcase this but for some reason the staff deleted it even though it was important. Tip #160 and 4 step design basically nullifies this thread, and it would be much better if tips were made for actual levels rather than abstract and general ones for threads like this.

Ace
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Ace » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:07 pm

Aero wrote:Tip #160 and 4 step design basically nullifies this thread, and it would be much better if tips were made for actual levels rather than abstract and general ones for threads like this.
you're giving yourself way too much credit if you think that your vague tip and 4-step design is enough to not warrant further discussion.

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:57 pm

find a tip ITT that is more helpful than that and isn't a part of 4 step design.

TDK
Foo
Foo
Flair: Retired

Postby TDK » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:00 pm

Tip #144 is very useful tip.

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Radiance » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:16 pm

TheDinoKing wrote:Tip #144 is very useful tip.
That tip will let my CC entry win!

aero
Palom
Palom

Postby aero » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:43 pm

You only need to have fun making and playing your level. If you want to polish, ask if the level would be out of place in a Nintendo game - consider 4step design. People will leave tips in your level thread and those should be considered over general ones here. Anything else here is just minutia.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:09 am

I agree with Aero, I don't think this thread is gonna be of any help to anyone, mostly because only a few of the tips here are actually useful, and I feel like it's basically become a forum game.

beryfarnandas
Goomba
Goomba

Postby beryfarnandas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:51 am

Valtteri wrote:1. If you're going to use custom graphics, make sure they look good and fit to the level.
2. Add enemies, pits, coins to make it a more fun experience and scenery and pipes and such to make it more lively.
3. Make sure everything fits together. It's best to use one theme per level.
4. Make sure the level is completeable. Pay attention to the difficulty, too. Nobody likes too hard levels. It's no fun without a little challenge either.
5. Remember to give the player power-ups.
6. Don't forget the start point. If you move it in the middle for testing purposes, remember to move it back to the beginning.
7. Use a Checkpoint for longer levels.
8. Horizontal warp pipes don't go in the middle but half a block down from the middle of the pipe end.
9. The original Mario games are a great source of inspiration.
10. Have fun making the level. That way the players will also enjoy the level.
Thanks buddy

Kley
Edge
Edge
Flair: Robot

Postby Kley » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:42 am

beryfarnandas wrote:
Valtteri wrote:1. If you're going to use custom graphics, make sure they look good and fit to the level.
2. Add enemies, pits, coins to make it a more fun experience and scenery and pipes and such to make it more lively.
3. Make sure everything fits together. It's best to use one theme per level.
4. Make sure the level is completeable. Pay attention to the difficulty, too. Nobody likes too hard levels. It's no fun without a little challenge either.
5. Remember to give the player power-ups.
6. Don't forget the start point. If you move it in the middle for testing purposes, remember to move it back to the beginning.
7. Use a Checkpoint for longer levels.
8. Horizontal warp pipes don't go in the middle but half a block down from the middle of the pipe end.
9. The original Mario games are a great source of inspiration.
10. Have fun making the level. That way the players will also enjoy the level.
Thanks buddy
No useless posts please.

Zha Hong Lang
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:36 am

unfortunately your request damns this entire thread

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:03 am

Zha Hong Lang wrote:unfortunately your request damns this entire thread
Yep. I honestly have no idea how this thread is still up.

minerdude456
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby minerdude456 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Saddish but true, that quote be.

Super Luigi Bros
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Super Luigi Bros » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:16 am

I think a great design tip is to add lots and lots of hidden secrets, like 5 hidden Yoshi coins, or invis- 1up blocks, or just secret areas that have a bonus, like coins or a powerup. I use this in ALL of my episodes and levels.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:42 am

Super Luigi Bros wrote:I think a great design tip is to add lots and lots of hidden secrets, like 5 hidden Yoshi coins, or invis- 1up blocks, or just secret areas that have a bonus, like coins or a powerup. I use this in ALL of my episodes and levels.
Not the best advice and not really applicable to all levels. It only works well if incorporated correctly

HVMetal
Snifit
Snifit

Postby HVMetal » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:42 am

Snessy the duck wrote:I agree with Aero, I don't think this thread is gonna be of any help to anyone, mostly because only a few of the tips here are actually useful, and I feel like it's basically become a forum game.
I have to agree too. If all of these tips could be compressed into a shorter list containing only the useful stuff, then this thread might have a use. Who does expect ANYONE to read all the pages, honestly? Some people may not read it only for that single tip. Especially that some tips are not worth a single coin because they are only contradictions for what's good.

Return to “Archives”