Mario Classic v1.11 (Updated 10/4/2013)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Zephyr
Swooper
Swooper

Mario Classic v1.11 (Updated 10/4/2013)

Postby Zephyr » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:06 pm

Important Information

This episode uses custom world map music and comes with a custom intro. So extract the the zip into your smbx folder rather than your worlds folder. This will replace some of the smbx music and any of your own custom intros. So please make a backup of your music folder and your own custom intro (if any) before extracting

Anyway, it has been over and year and a half in the making. I really hope you all enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed making it. I personally think it blows any of my previous work out of the water. Here is the latest version. This version just contains bug fixes based on watching as303298's LP.

Download

Old Post
Spoiler: show
Mario Classic is a massive SMBX episode in which the primary focus is quality. Every level is designed to have a level of quality that will hopefully never leave the player disappointed. The goal of the episode is to make it fun for everyone to play. So there will be some difficult levels scattered throughout the episode, but they will usually be optional and lead to rewards. There are different routes on the world map kind of like SMB3. I originally intended to make this episode smaller than it is, but I just kept having fun so I kept making more and more levels. Now it looks like there will be 75 levels when it's all said and done. Each level is at least twice as long as the average SMW level so this episode is going to be roughly twice as big as SMW.
Beta Testers: We have a strong crew of experienced beta testers with good taste. Special thanks to these guys.
  • Elbow
    Chad
    Magus
    Kokorov
    knuckles96
    Ace
    Garro
    Krazykoopa
    Supermarioman
Progress
World 1: Grass - complete
World 2: Desert - complete
World 3: Water - complete
World 4: Giant - complete
World 5: Forest/Jungle - complete
World 6: Snow - complete
World 7: Mountain - complete
World 8: Bowser - 100% done

Bonus world: secret - 100% done

Total levels complete: 76/76
Total percent complete: 100%
I really don't like sitting here typing long explanations about the project so I'll just showcase some of the stuff I have finished.

Old Screenshots
wordpress image uploadImage
free image hostingImage
image hostingImage
free image hostingImage
image hostingImage
image uploadingImage
free image hostingImage
image hosting serviceImage
adult image hostingImage
image hosting serviceImage
image uploaderImage
image hostImage
image uploaderImage
image hostingImage
image uploaderImage
upload pngpngImage
image uploadImage
png uploadImage
image hostImage
image uploadingImage
upload gifImage
png uploadImage
wordpress image hostingImage
upload gifImage
upload pngpngImage
free image hostingImage
upload pngpngImage
wordpress image hostingImage
image hostingImage
upload pngImage
upload imagesImage
upload pngImage
adult image hostImage
hosting imagesImage
upload pngImageImage
hosting imagesImage
image hosting jpgImage
upload imagesImage
image hostImage
gif image hostingImage
gif image hostingImage
image upload
image upload
image uploadImage
adult image hostingImage
adult image hostingImage
upload imagesImage
jpg image hostingImage
free image hostingImage
png image hostingImage
png image hostingImage
image hosting jpegImage
gif image hostingImage
image hosting jpgImage
hosting imagesImage
free image hostingImage
image hosting jpgImage
gif image hostingImage
hosting imagesImage
jpeg image hostingImage
image uploadImage
image hostImage
image hosting jpgImage
jpeg image hostingImage
gif image hostingImage
image hosting jpegImage
jpg image hostingImage
adult image hostingImage
jpg image hostingImage
image uploadImage
image hosting pngImage
image uploadImage
image hostingImage
image hosting gifImage
jpg image hostingImage
image uploadImage
free picture hostingImage
adult upload imageImage
image hostingImage
image hostingImage
jpg uploadImage
upload imagesImage
upload picturesImage
image upload
picture hostingImage
free image hostingImage
free image hostingImage
adult image hostingImage
upload imagesImage
jpg uploadImage
adult upload imageImage
upload imagesImage
upload picturesImage
jpg uploadImage
picture hostingImage
hosting imagesImage
upload pictureImage
upload picturesImage
upload photoImage
free image hostingImage
picture hostingImage
upload pictureImage
picture hosting
Screenshots (October 5, 2012)

KateBulka
Fuzzy
Fuzzy
Flair: Bun~
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Mario Classic v1.11 (Updated 10/4/2013)

Postby KateBulka » Tue May 20, 2014 9:30 am

Please, create Mario Classic 2

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 am

MyNameIsEric52 wrote:Please, create Mario Classic 2
It may be hard to understand the scale of a project like this, but you can't just ask someone to make a sequel like that. It takes a huge amount of time and effort to create an episode this awesome. zephyr may return to level designing or he might not, but it's really not fair to pressure him like that. Just so you know.

Zephyr
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Zephyr » Tue May 20, 2014 9:51 pm

Pseudo-dino wrote:
It may be hard to understand the scale of a project like this, but you can't just ask someone to make a sequel like that. It takes a huge amount of time and effort to create an episode this awesome. zephyr may return to level designing or he might not, but it's really not fair to pressure him like that. Just so you know.
Honestly I would love to have the time to make Mario Classic 2, but I don not and probably won't any time soon. I haven't actually stopped level designing, but it would probably take me five plus years to make another episode of this magnitude. In the mean time you should play New Great Castle Adventure when it comes out in a couple months. I've made about of quarter of the levels in that episode.

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Tue May 20, 2014 10:11 pm

This episode looks great, Zephyr, i have a doubt about this. Did you do only on world map? Has anyone worked as a level designer or only you?
Last edited by Lx Xzit on Wed May 21, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mushroom Guy 004

Postby Mushroom Guy 004 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:44 am

I like this episode.it's good and it's so different from the other episodes.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:16 am

My complete playthrough:
Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... DbE_4ZbEWO

Here are the Bosses from this SMBX Episode:

Firespike33
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Firespike33 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:01 pm

Where did "SMW Boss" come from? I feel like I've heard it before....

Zephyr
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Zephyr » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:46 am

Yeah this is the episode where I learned my lesson about renaming music files. I think that one came from a final fantasy game? I don't have a clue which one it would be though.

bambooPenArtist

Postby bambooPenArtist » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:29 pm

Hey Zeph, uh I played the episode all the way to the final boss, the real final one with the Skull level panel.
Anyway I beat it and it doesn't do anything after that... at all. :(

I ended up pausing and quiting after waiting a minute or two but after the final speech from the boss it just keeps you in that room with the boss music playing.

Hawkeyeone
Spike
Spike

Postby Hawkeyeone » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:23 am

If he does, I hope it's actually like classic Mario. This episode was anything but and inspired me to make a true "Mario Classic". I'm not very good at getting episodes done, however '- '

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:05 pm

^
The episode is called that because it has a similar level progression and world map style to classic 2-D Mario games, as opposed to The Great Castle Adventure and SMB: A New Beginning, Zephyr's previous episodes which both saw heavy uses of stars.

KateBulka
Fuzzy
Fuzzy
Flair: Bun~
Pronouns: she/her

Postby KateBulka » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:23 am

Zephyr what the music (final fantasy 1,2,3 - 4, 5, 6, 7?) I LOVE THIS MUSIC (SMW boss) GRAPHICS SO-Good, i'm say best episode in 2013 (2012) year

Zephyr you real Super Puper King

Zephyr
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Zephyr » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:47 am

marioaddict wrote:Hey Zeph, uh I played the episode all the way to the final boss, the real final one with the Skull level panel.
Anyway I beat it and it doesn't do anything after that... at all. :(

I ended up pausing and quiting after waiting a minute or two but after the final speech from the boss it just keeps you in that room with the boss music playing.
That's weird. A door should have appeared. There is more content after that boss so you should try it again and see if it still happens. If so I will send you an update with the fix.

Kyo
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Kyo » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:46 pm

I know I'm extremely late with this, but just in case you are interested, Zephyr, I've just legally 100%'d this episode and would like to give you some feedback on this. I did play this when it was released but dropped it after world 3 because it wasn't that fun and it felt like, it didn't have any real difficulty curve. I admit, I really wasn't a big fan of your style even though I acknowledge you as a great level designer. Usually, your levels are literally overloaded with alternative ways, and the reason why this episode previously wasn't really enjoyable for me is that I am a hardcore-completionist when it comes to SMBX levels. I want to collect every single coin, hit every single block, and find every single secret. Frankly, I'm not a big fan of that habit myself, but what can I do about that? With that habit, I could hardly enjoy this episode, since due to the bunch of alternative ways, I'd have to play every level like, twice or even three times to see everything.

I've recently decided to give this episode another try because I felt like, if I'd never complete this, I'd miss something. I was right. I successfully overcame my habit and saw why this episode is good. While I still see why this episode is criticized for various reasons, I really think everyone should complete this at least once despite of what they disliked, as they are missing out something really great. Out of all SMBX episodes I've ever played, this felt most like a game. Just because it's so spectacular, it's still classic regardless of what others say. For instance, in a regular Nintendo 2D jump 'n' run; especially in the more actual ones; there were some levels that weren't memorable and somewhat generic, and some levels that are really spectacular using unique concepts. This episode is just like that. It's weird, but for some reason I enjoyed this episode for its occasional generic and unmemorable levels, because they gave this game a special atmosphere. That's why this episode is classic, and that's why it's great.

The absolutely greatest thing of this episode however was (next to the worldmap), world 9. I can't tell how surprised I was about its entire appearance and about the amazing world map look. Nobody has succeeded conveying a space atmosphere on a world map as well as you did with this. Every single level was nothing less than an amazing masterpiece. Each level had a unique and epic concept. Really, I was always, after finishing one level, hyped for the next one and never disappointed. I rarely had this feeling of excitement in SMBX. 9-2 is probably one of my absolute favorite SMBX levels now. That one hit me hard. I loved this concept in DKCR and planned on doing a level like this, but didn't know how it was possible. After thinking a bit, I got the assumption that each switch has an invisible empty bubble toggling red and blue after interaction, and it also generates, which would theoretically make this possible. Would you mind if I make a level like this?

What I also like is how this game shows so much variation and innovation near the end. A secret final boss, followed by a green star hunt which was also nice for seeing the earlier levels and for feelining of progression, then three cheat challenges, and an exclusive credit level. It was just so perfect how you are hyped for thst secret room while exploring older levels, and this also gave the secret shortcuts a bigger meaning. The green star hunt also supports the feeling of this being an actual game. It's hilarious that you can actually access the final world without defeating Bowser like this. The cheat challenges were also nice, even though you can legally break them if you know the secret cheat code. It would have been better if you'd have told the cheat code before, as you're likely not completing the challenges for the secret cheat code, but for completion of the game.

And about the credits, doing all this for getting to see the credits was truly worth it. This was just great. The perfect reward. The perfect end of the game. A glorious finale. It really surprised me, and was so well made too. My reaction when I saw my name in the credits under GFX credits. =P But really, this episode is overall the best SMBX episode I've played after SMSE. Sincerely, I've rarely been impressed this much, and I really look forward into what you've done in NGCA. You definitely earned my respect there. Good job!

Zephyr
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Zephyr » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:14 am

Wow Kyo that's quite a flattering review. I remember how much you anticipated this episode before it came out so it was kind of a bummer when you didn't enjoy the first couple worlds and quit. I'm so glad you decided to give this another try and I'm even more glad you enjoyed it as much as you did.

I don't mind if you make a level like 9-2.

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Magician » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:55 am

I couldn't find anything bad to say about this episode, except that I wish the green stars were more blatantly challenging. Being told exactly where they are at the end of the game shouldn't eliminate any difficulty in the process of getting them, I think. Some were still difficult, but I recall some were just "go here, do that" which I felt could have lead to a skill-based challenge before getting the star rather than just the green star immediately.
I could have just NOT talked to those people, of course, but having zero guidance as to where to find a small amount of green stars in a vast world would be too much of a chore, especially how some were hidden. I was only able to find two over the course of the game without having their location revealed to me. I don't think they should be made easier to find, though, so that's why I think having them lead to a challenge instead would have been more gratifying.

I also heard music from MMX: Corrupted in there and I thought that was strange because I'm pretty sure NitroFlasher didn't want any of his work to be used by other parties. The game for which that particular song was made still isn't finished. But for all I know, you might know the guy and/or he might have told you differently.

Barring that, and this motherfucker, pretty much what Kyo said.
(Seriously that goomba is facing left. I came out of the pipe with a powerup I JUST grabbed, and lost it because I couldn't move. That's pretty much the only time I felt that it was unfair that I got hit.)

This and SMSE are my two current favourite episodes, so take my criticism with a grain of salt. I'm just better at pointing out flaws than the otherwise seamless greatness of the rest of it.

Kyo
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Kyo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:45 am

I definitely agree with what you said about the green stars. I wanted to mention that as well, but forgot it. Usually, while playing an episode I note down in a text document what I want to say. I originally didn't even plan to review this episode, therefore I had no text document to rely on. I still like the green star hunt a lot though, but it could have been better than it already is. 1-7 was the best green star in this, because it was a nice challenge. The others weren't bad, but I wish I had more of these challenges. What I also forgot to mention in my review, is the score. Yep, shit happens. I've decided on a 8,8 out of 10. Seems to be the perfect score for this episode. It's definitely something I gotta replay someday.
Last edited by Kyo on Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheTurnipLord
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby TheTurnipLord » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:04 pm

This looks amazing! I'll try it one day.

Zephyr
Swooper
Swooper

Postby Zephyr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:07 pm

Magician wrote:I couldn't find anything bad to say about this episode, except that I wish the green stars were more blatantly challenging. Being told exactly where they are at the end of the game shouldn't eliminate any difficulty in the process of getting them, I think. Some were still difficult, but I recall some were just "go here, do that" which I felt could have lead to a skill-based challenge before getting the star rather than just the green star immediately.
I could have just NOT talked to those people, of course, but having zero guidance as to where to find a small amount of green stars in a vast world would be too much of a chore, especially how some were hidden. I was only able to find two over the course of the game without having their location revealed to me. I don't think they should be made easier to find, though, so that's why I think having them lead to a challenge instead would have been more gratifying.
This is a really good idea I wish I had thought of that at the time.
Magician wrote: I also heard music from MMX: Corrupted in there and I thought that was strange because I'm pretty sure NitroFlasher didn't want any of his work to be used by other parties. The game for which that particular song was made still isn't finished. But for all I know, you might know the guy and/or he might have told you differently.
I used to have different music in that level then a beta tester told me I should use the MMX: Corruption music instead and linked me to a youtube video with the music. I know so little about megaman/megaman hacking that I wasn't even aware it was a hack rather than an official game.

Return to “Episodes”