LunaLua Offical Thread - SMBX Usermod Framework

This is the place for discussion and support for LunaLua and related modifications and libraries.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?

Shall I steam some LunaLua live development?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 217
Kevsoft
Flurry
Flurry

Re: LunaLua Offical Thread - SMBX Usermod Framework

Postby Kevsoft » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:18 am

Quantix wrote:I have a question (which might've been asked already, but eh): What pushed you to make this framework? Like, why did you create it in the first place? (Not that I'm saying it's pointless, don't get me wrong.)
The original LunaDLL was not from me, it was from a guy called kil3. He made an awesome job by creating this hack to break the limits of SMBX. Now it had already a lot of features, especially manipulating the player. However, I wasn't happy with the "Autocode"-Scripting language. Before SMBX, I did a lot in ComputerCraft (A Minecraft Mod, basically adding computers in Minecraft), and they were using lua. So I thought lua is cool, we have to add that to SMBX. And that's when I began with the work.

lotus006
Spike
Spike

Postby lotus006 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:22 am

Kevsoft wrote:
Quantix wrote:I have a question (which might've been asked already, but eh): What pushed you to make this framework? Like, why did you create it in the first place? (Not that I'm saying it's pointless, don't get me wrong.)
The original LunaDLL was not from me, it was from a guy called kil3. He made an awesome job by creating this hack to break the limits of SMBX. Now it had already a lot of features, especially manipulating the player. However, I wasn't happy with the "Autocode"-Scripting language. Before SMBX, I did a lot in ComputerCraft (A Minecraft Mod, basically adding computers in Minecraft), and they were using lua. So I thought lua is cool, we have to add that to SMBX. And that's when I began with the work.
You are a god :)

Quantix
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantix » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:32 am

Kevsoft wrote:
Well, that makes sense. Come to think of it, I did find it pretty hard writing code in LunaDll to begin with.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Why did you replace the NSMB theme, Mt. Gorge, Beach Bowl, and most of the SM64 and Paper Mario songs with SPC versions of those songs??? OGG files don't take up that much more space, and the SPC versions sound so much worse than their original counterparts! Please undo this change.

Also, while I'm at it, please replace the Airship Theme with the version from Super Smash Bros Brawl. Thank you.
You always can take full set of old OGG versions, but don't forget to modify music.ini which presented in LunaLUA-SMBX root to use right music files. SPC's are much smaller than OGG of same length (64 kb of SPC VS 850 kb of OGG). With replacing of music to SPC/MIDI versions resulted a total size of zip ~19 MB instead of ~80, 100 or even ~250 with MP3-320. To let me put SM-64 Chiptunes I need to implement support of Nintendo-64 chiptunes playback into SDL Mixer X (GME library which I used is supports only SPC, NSF, HES, GBS, GYM, VGM, VGZ, KSS, SAP, AY), and then I can use SuperMario 64 chiptunes directly. I agree that some SPC remixes made by guys on SMW Central are not so perfect (and even rightly chosen or self-made MIDI with correctly configured bank are will be played much better. Also forgot to announce that I finally implemented ability to toggle MIDI banks like choosing of NSF track numbers!)

P.S> About Tetris DS Metroid remix (currently I used theme from first Metroid game on NES): to let me make a right rip, I need the original chiptune of that track (which I don't see yet in the Internet, even a some tools to let me rip Nintendo DS music directly from NDS rom are will help me to get right rip) and I totally don't wanna use pre-recorded MP3's which are sucks in quality.

P.P.S. Just experimental MIDI rip (MIDI-notes are grabbed with VGMTrans tool over TetrisDS rom and edited to clear garbage), not for replacement http://wohlsoft.ru/docs/Music/MIDI/BGM_STD_METROID.mid (try to listen on PGE MusPlay with any banks of ADLMIDI and try Native MIDI. If you prefer to use Native MIDI, just append "|s1;" suffix [but note that loopStart/loopEnd tags are works in ADLMIDI only!], latest SDL Mixer X will understand that as synthesiser toggler. 0 - ADLMIDI, 1 - Native MIDI, 2 - Timidity which needs additional bank. To use one of ADLMIDI's banks, suffix is "|bXX;v0;t0;" - where XX - actual number of ADLMIDI's bank, v0 - disable deep vibrato, t0 - disable deep tremolo (difference of enabled/disabled tremolo/vibrato you will hear with some instruments. DMX/AIL/SB banks are prefer with disabled deep tremolo/vibrato, OP3 banks are prefer with enabled deep tremolo/vibrato, etc. but use them for case when you like resulted sound))

lotus006
Spike
Spike

Postby lotus006 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:01 am

[LunaLua] Hud Creator Smbx Live

- Save doesnt work for now but in progress
- Can do Aprox. everthing what you want in the hud
- Menu will be followed maybe soon after if I release this :D
- Maybe more stuff :D

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:52 pm

Wohlstand wrote:SPC's are much smaller than OGG of same length (64 kb of SPC VS 850 kb of OGG). With replacing of music to SPC/MIDI versions resulted a total size of zip ~19 MB instead of ~80, 100 or even ~250 with MP3-320.
Nobody cares about file size; we care about getting a quality product. I'd rather wait overnight for a 16.8 GB game to download and have a fun experience than download a terrible 1 GB game, and so would everyone else. I mentioned in my original post that I know OGGs are larger than SPCs. My point is that the SPCs sound like crap and should be replaced with OGGs of the original songs. Yes, it will take longer to download, but that doesn't matter. Quality should always be put above quantity.

Besides, by changing the default music, you're not only making the default music sound like crap, but you're also screwing with the intentions of older episodes like The Invasion 2, and even newer episodes since people won't know whether the SPC was intended or if the original song was intended. People would normally be able to use the SM64 castle theme as a default song, but now that you've replaced it with a crappy SPC, it will have to be included as a custom song and make the episode take longer to download. In other words, although the engine will take less time to download, the individual episodes will take longer to download, thus defeating your point.

Nobody cares about file size at the expense of quality, so replace the SPCs with OGGs.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:27 am

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Nobody cares about file size
...Who has fast Internet speed or really want that and ready to don't take small-size version.
Imaynotbehere4long wrote: My point is that the SPCs sound like crap and should be replaced with OGGs of the original songs.
Anyway, tell same about SMW/SMAS musics as there are is. I agree that "original music better", but even how you see the game is similar to SMW/SMAS by graphics, and would be similar even by music style. However I plan use original Nintendo 64 chiptunes when I finally implement ability to play that format (to finally have original SM64 themes as-is. I just need a C++ library/code to emulate playing of N64 chiptune format and I'll integrate that into SDL Mixer X).
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Nobody cares about file size at the expense of quality, so replace the SPCs with OGGs.
Please never tell "WE" without poll where voted many people. I hate to generalize people opinion based on opinion of alone person. Currently you is alone person who has stated discontent about music change. (Not count HenryRicherds who noticed about Metroid theme from TetrisDS)

Anyway, because music question is VERY controversial issue in common (I bet that with people who prefer original SMBX musics as-is, are exists a people who totally hates original music themes (by possible reasons: annoyed, "not my style", etc.), and those people are completely replacing default musics with own).

Therefore I will provide a choice:
  • version with replaced musics (to be more like to SMW) as common version (currently available everywhere).
  • version with original songs as-is (if impossible to use original chiptune (case of SM64 musics), I will use OGG rips, and I'll care to put right loop points. So, SSBB themes here are has loop points, therefore their size much smaller than was before. Trivia: OGG smaller that BRSTM because lossy compression, and with SDL Mixer X it supports loop points, and even RPG Maker has implementation of loop points in OGG files!).
And, don't forget that everybody can replace default musics into musics of ANY format and filename with global music.ini. Therefore who want another musics - doing that himself/herself. Old version of music pack which I sent has no puted loop points, therefore I will publish this version when I will setup loop points to let those musics do right loop and don't have repeat part and don't eat disk space by dumb reasons.

P.S.: if someone has overfill of HDD, first files between candidates to remove which are usually will be targeted to remove: WHICH ARE HAS LARGEST SIZE IN COMPARISON TO OTHERS.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:02 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Nobody cares about file size
...Who has fast Internet speed or really want that and ready to don't take small-size version.
Except people who want to use the original songs would have to use them as custom tracks, making the individual episodes take longer to download and thus defeat the whole point.
Wohlstand wrote:Currently you is alone person who has stated discontent about music change. (Not count HenryRicherds who noticed about Metroid theme from TetrisDS)
And you're the only one who has defended it. By your own logic, that's two against one. I don't see the controversy since the only person defending it is the one who made the change.
Wohlstand wrote:Please never tell "WE" without poll where voted many people.
All right, we'll see how this pans out.

http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... 87&t=13835

lotus006
Spike
Spike

Postby lotus006 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:13 pm

Hi all, maybe this msg can be asked to kevsoft or Wohlstand but I have question,
what is about movie sprite support can you say more about this ?

You can make npc animated like gif, but how did you record this ? and it will be in the 2.0 ? (I mean in the soon update ?)

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:24 pm

lotus006 wrote:Hi all, maybe this msg can be asked to kevsoft or Wohlstand but I have question,
what is about movie sprite support can you say more about this ?

You can make npc animated like gif, but how did you record this ? and it will be in the 2.0 ? (I mean in the soon update ?)
Movie sprite support is available as separated branch here:
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... eg-support
Currently that wasn't merged with master branch until we are will completely review this update and then we are will apply necessary changes until both branches are will be merged.

DarkWolf658
Snifit
Snifit

Postby DarkWolf658 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:39 pm

DarkWolf658 wrote:Well, im back on this thread again...

For some reason lunalua likes to show me every single god damn frame even when disable frame skip isnt checked. Is there a way to fix this? (right now lua runs slower than normal smbx)

Lua version: 7.2.2 (Luna Loader)
Windows: 7
RAM: 1.25 gigs (about half is used normally)
Open gl: No support
Direct X: No support
DarkWolf658 wrote:
Kevsoft wrote:Did you get a message bpx about missing features of opengl? Because if you say than your computer doesn't support opengl, you should have got a message box and the rendering system should automatically go back to the original renderer.
The box shows up every time I start lua and tells me that its using the normal renderer, but the game in general runs slower, but ive noticed that it doesnt skip frames, or at least doesnt skip as many as normal. Also on some levels or episodes, the lag I get causes said level or episode to be become unplayable. ive also noticed that checking disable sound and manually removing any music makes it run slightly faster. (But still not normal speed)

EDIT: i just checked and whenever i use lunalua, my cpu bar goes up to the max. Maybe thats the problem?
Im still waiting...

Kevsoft
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Kevsoft » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:48 pm

DarkWolf658 wrote:
Im still waiting...
For the performance issue I can investigate if you run this tool: http://www.codersnotes.com/sleepy/
And let VerySleepy run for a minute when you have massiv laggs. I might can do performance optimzations for the non-gl renderer.

Send me a screenshot of the results.

Kevsoft
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Kevsoft » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:12 am

Hey guys!

I have exciting news about the next version of LunaDLL. You can read about it here: http://wohlsoft.ru/

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:17 am

Kevsoft wrote:Hey guys!

I have exciting news about the next version of LunaDLL. You can read about it here: http://wohlsoft.ru/
finally we have a real programming language

Hoeloe
Foo
Foo
Flair: The Codehaus Girl
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Hoeloe » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:22 am

Hmm I don't know about this. I think Whitespace would be a better choice.

lotus006
Spike
Spike

Postby lotus006 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:24 am

MMm it is real ? because I dont understand it at all !! LOL
Spoiler: show
April Fool !!??
MMmm, Why not Love2D Mari0 use this for the language combined with lua

Kevsoft
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Kevsoft » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:39 am

Hoeloe wrote: Hmm I don't know about this. I think Whitespace would be a better choice.
Would be a good alternative indeed, although LOLCODE is a bit more flexible.

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:35 am

Finally. Who expects me to learn about all this loop and class garbage to make some marios? Mario Maker: 1 LunaLua: 0

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:33 pm

I CAN HAZ UPDATE?

lotus006
Spike
Spike

Postby lotus006 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:26 pm

OMG I WANT IT SO MUCHZ I FEIND THIS SO KEWL !

Yeah that can make sens to me now ^^ sorry , now I find this very powerfull :P

Return to “LunaLua”