SMBX Hardcoded Graphics - Tutorial (Updated 17/02/2016)

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

SMBX Hardcoded Graphics - Tutorial (Updated 17/02/2016)

Postby Lx Xzit » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:25 pm

There's a easier way to make replace the hardcoded graphics using lunalua (0.7.3 or highter) just go to this topic:
http://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/Hardcoded_Im ... MBX_Engine
And put the image with the specific name on your graphics folder, save the level and have fun!

Super Mario Bros. X Hardcoded Graphics - Tutorial (Without lunalua)

Originally DarkChao (I think that is DarkChao) had done a tutorial on this, but over time and with the change of forums, this tutorial was lost, so basically what I'm doing is a complete republication of this.

Introduction
1. What graphs I can change?
2. Steps
3. Precautions

1. Which graphs I can change?
You can change a lot of graphics in SMBX, such as the logo, box items, you can change some npc's than in normal SMBX could not, for example recolor boots recolor the Clown Car, etc.
You can also change some small details, such as numbers, the color of the dialog box, etc, there are a total of 1750 graphics that are mofidicables.
  • 2. Steps:
  • You will need the SMBX extractor, download from here:
    https://www.mediafire.com/?xi8z9pft07jc17q
    NOTE: We will only work with the.exe of SMBX, so it is advisable to make a backup in case there is a possible error.
  • Open the extractor SMBX now locate the .exe SMBX, here is a picture of what you should do:
    Spoiler: show
    NOTE: You must verify that the "txt" box isn't market.
  • Select all files with the "+" box, now when graphics are marked (1750 in total), create a new folder and unzip there.
    Now, do click in "Start" and wait for searches for all files.
  • Now that you have the 1750 graphics in your SMBX folder, locate the graphic you want to change, edit the image and save it in GIF preferably, no matter if it was previously was bmp, create a new folder with the new graphs that you had change.
  • This step is the most important, you should go to the next page:
    http://www.gifreducer.com/
    Here, upload pictures previously modified, give click on "Reduce It" Now this will give you a list of graphs, select the lighter, (the last in the file) and replace it with the current.

Once to you have do this with all the graphics you want to change, open the SMBX extractor and now do the following:
  • Uncheck all boxes with the button "-" and now must click on "functions"> "Import File" and select the graph, both must match the same number. eg
  • Now will appear a signal saying "Do you want to replace the existing file?" click "Yes", and If come out a warning, this is very important! if you get this warning:
    Give inmediately NO, otherwise your SMBX will not serve anymore, you should further reduce the size of the image:
  • If you get this warning:
    Give "Yes", no matter what the number of difference.
  • Once you have done this with all the graphics you want to replace, close the extractor, and run now SMBX, you should see the graphics that have changed.
    If you are having a problem opening SMBX means you did something wrong.

3. Precautions
    You should be aware That this can cause major errors in SMBX, Consider some of the Important steps:
  • If you replace the current graph by a more longer, your SMBX will not serve anymore.
  • If you accidentally replace a graph of different number, can damage your SMBX or May Have graphical errors.
  • It is recommended to backup the exe SMBX
  • This is a slow process, replace the graphics one by one, be patient.

I hope I have helped with tutorial, my purpose in posting this is to help a few people who are very interested in this, if you have any problems or suggestions to complement the theme, notify me.
Last edited by Lx Xzit on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BMatSantos

Re: SMBX Hardcoded Graphics - Tutorial

Postby BMatSantos » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:48 am

Do you have to put the modified .exe along with the episode folder?

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:40 pm

Well that's pretty much optional, and player would have to replace your current SMBX exe.

SilverDeoxys563

Postby SilverDeoxys563 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:36 pm

For some reason, Import File is grayed out when I select it in the window:

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:43 pm

SilverDeoxys563 wrote:For some reason, Import File is grayed out when I select it in the window:
You need to first select an image (the image that you want to replace) and then you will have available the option "import file", eg:
Hope that helps!
Last edited by Lx Xzit on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilverDeoxys563

Postby SilverDeoxys563 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:43 am

Welp, apparently you can't import .ico files even if they're smaller because now SMBX just crashes if I try to launch it lol

Also, the last 5 minutes' progress tends to get lost.

Sambo
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Sambo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:53 am

For some reason this doesn't work for me. I tried to change the level editor splash screen and got a smaller file size than the original, so I was able to import it without overwriting anything, but now when I try to launch it, nothing happens.

Drachenbauer
Tweeter
Tweeter

Re: SMBX Hardcoded Graphics - Tutorial (Updated 17/02/2016)

Postby Drachenbauer » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:02 pm

with SMBX 2 the hardcoded graphics are there for you and you only have to add them to the folder from your world or from a level and redesign them there-
Just the same, what you do with other game objects to make your own version of them.

IAmPlayer
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: I'm a hellspawn.
Pronouns: he/him

Postby IAmPlayer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:36 pm

Well, i tried putting all of the graphics, but somehow the graphics still the same. How could i fix this?

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:56 am

1AmPlayer wrote:Well, i tried putting all of the graphics, but somehow the graphics still the same. How could i fix this?
Are you using the non-LunaLUA method?

IAmPlayer
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: I'm a hellspawn.
Pronouns: he/him

Postby IAmPlayer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:32 am

Snessy the duck wrote:
1AmPlayer wrote:Well, i tried putting all of the graphics, but somehow the graphics still the same. How could i fix this?
No, actually. I'm using 1.3 extractor method. I put everything the same method as explained. But the graphic is still the same.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:11 am

1AmPlayer wrote:
Snessy the duck wrote:
No, actually. I'm using 1.3 extractor method. I put everything the same method as explained. But the graphic is still the same.
You should really use the 2.0 open beta, it comes with a much easier way to make hardcoded gfx (You simply put the replaced graphics in your level/episode's graphic folder and they show up)

Return to “Archives”