Winter Contest: The Winner and the Runner-up

Official community level contests.
CreatorForce
Eerie
Eerie

Re: Winter Contest: Tier 4!!!

Postby CreatorForce » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:56 pm

Wow, I'm on top 20 now !
That's Great, I can't wait to see more result tier 5 and 6.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:33 am

Phazon1111 wrote:
Valtteri wrote:My level was poorly tested...

Here's top 20.
Spoiler: show
ap3jmpt
Bomber57
Dark-Mecha77
Darkonius64
ElTipsta
FireLink
Flying Brick
litchh
Nickname
PROX
Pivot40Channel
Sambo
sezixor
Shinbison-Kof
SuperMario7
Sux
Vanishing Bulborb
Waddle Derp
XerX
zlakergirl357
Where in the hell am I?
Either you were DQed or Valtteri forgot to put your score down. beanluv had his level forgotten completely by Valtteri in CC8, so it's always possible your score was forgotten. Valtteri is a cryptic person when it comes to these contests. Normally judges know just about as much as the rest of the contestants when it comes to results and disqualifications.
Pivot40Channel wrote:Wow, I'm on top 20 now !
That's Great, I can't wait to see more result tier 5 and 6.
If I'm thinking of the level you created, then I can see why it made top 20. I wouldn't doubt you've improved a ton on your level design.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:13 am

My Top 10 prediction

Sux
sezixor
Shinbison-Kof
SuperMario7
FireLink
Darkonius
Bomber57
ElTipsta
DarkMecha77
Sambo

now bring me yer top 10 lists boyzzzzzzzz

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:32 am

My top 10 predictions:
Bomber57
Dark-Mecha77
Darkonius64
FireLink
Pivot40Channel
Sambo
Shinbison-Kof
SuperMario7
Sux
zlakergirl357
Last edited by h2643 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Re: Winter Contest: Tier 5!!!

Postby Valtteri » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:37 am

Tier 5 Places 11-20
Spoiler: show
20.Pivot40Channel - Grassland's Hill Top (7.04/10)
  • Chad (6.5/10)
    • Pretty big grassland level. There's certainly a lot to its presentation and it has rather nice design the whole way through. From a gameplay standpoint, it's mostly hills, pits, enemies, obstacles, and such like that. Mostly standard stuff, but with some variation here and there such as minibosses, Bullet Bills, and fences to climb. You could have used some of those a bit more, but you didn't do a bad job at what you did. Enemies and hazards are decently placed, as they require some caution and deliberate maneuvering. However, the first Bullet Bill area is a considerable difficulty spike, giant Goombas interact oddly with slopes (treating them like edges when they're not), and the Wart boss is completely broken because you can just grab a veggie and stand under him. Otherwise, this is a fine level. Not as much variation as the level seemed to want to introduce, but the gameplay and design in general are rather enjoyable.
    Joey (8.0/10)
    • This level was cool, but I've never understood the fascination with putting grass on the ceiling of grassland levels. I don't think it makes sense, and I think it takes away from the beauty of the background. I also wasn't really a fan of the bright orange tileset (or the bright blue water). My other complaint is that Birdo AND Mouser in the middle of the level is too much, even if the bombs help it out. Overall, though, this level was pretty good.
    Quill (6.0/10)
    • Oh man, this level made me SO HAPPY. No sarcasm, It actually has a really cheerful mood. The design is pretty basic, but it gets the job done. The bosses are pretty disappointing though. For example, the Birdo + Mouser fight is ridiculously easy as the bombs can be used to kill Birdo with easy, while Mouser tends to throw bombs that bounce back and hit him. The Wart fight is even easier as vegetables are constantly generating, slow that stuft down!
    Layla (7.4/10)
    • Not a bad level at all! It was a very fun basic grassland level, mixing a few SMB3, YI, and SMB2 elements, and none of it seemed to go together horrible, in fact, it all together helped build the atmosphere, so props to you on that! Although, I'm not sure I like the impossible to kill venus fire traps in the switch room. The bullet bills seem to get a little spammy right after you warn about their sudden appearence in the level. It was also easy to nerf the wart boss by standing right under it and not getting hurt, and the ice flower is completely useless at the very end of the level when you have nothing to use it for. Other than those issues, I thought it was a fine level.
    Valtteri (7.3/10)
    • Hm. A free secret star. Kind of pointless if you ask me. :/ This is a good level I guess. Nothing too exciting besides a ton of enemy spawns. I did get a little bored. The level looks great though. The shape of the ground varies nicely and all.
19. XerX - Ilmalaiva (7.14/10)
  • Chad (6.5/10)
    • Great airship level! The design and presentation are very solid, giving the level a grand feeling as you traverse the immense-looking airship. Enemy placements and the general construction around them are quite good, providing the level with a nice difficulty and requiring interesting maneuvers from the player. I enjoyed the general decoration, the placement of crates and how they add to the platforming variety, and the precision involved with hazard setups. However, the second star's placement and boss aren't devised as nicely. The second star area has quite a bit of stuff in it, which makes it seem like a vital location for something that's entirely dependent on a luck-based invisible block. Chances are, players are going to have to look in the editor for that one. As for the boss, not only does the moving layer make SMB3 Bowser buggy, but also more difficult to predict than he is normally. The Mechakoopas walking off the pipe add an extra layer of difficulty by being very tough to avoid in that scenario, but also because half the time Bowser's just going to stomp on them. It just isn't fun, and it could have ended just fine there, but you added in a second phase. It's not much of a true form if it takes less hits to beat, the sprite looks terrible because of its enormous pixels, and the movements and generators are so haphazard that strategy is completely out of the question, especially with no powerups. In conclusion, really nice level up until the bosses, but the bosses are just entirely unenjoyable and unnecessary.
    Joey (5.0/10)
    • This level was okay, but I don't think the boss was programmed correctly. The ship tileset was interesting, I guess, and it just looked like a solid doomship level. Nothing special, but no real complaints.
    Quill (8.0/10)
    • Very pretty level! This is the closest anyone has gotten to a level that really resembles and feels like a classic airship. Great job! It was very enjoyable. The boss was a bit of a let down, the first phase is kinda glitchy due to the moving stage, while the second stage can be beaten in mere seconds by holding a mecha-koopa near Bowser and just letting him die that way. Overall, this was a good level.
    Layla (7.9/10)
    • Not a bad airship level. The NSMBWii tileset is used very well. The swaying definitely helps convey a massive airship kind of atmosphere, but the special blocks that don't move tend to move away from that (I can understand the pipes with warps considering warps don't always like to move in layers. The NPC placement isn't too bad, savor some points with bullet bills. A big issue with the Bowser fights is that the Bowser AI does not react well at all with the moving layers and that tones down quality in the fights by a lot. I suggest just canceling all moving layers in that section so there are no free moments to attack bowser as he is frozen in one spot, especially the SMB3 one where he is frozen in one frame.
    Valtteri (8.3/10)
    • Everything seems to be fine in this level. Enemy placement, items, challenges, structure. Looks cool too with the lightnings in the background. I like the inside bit with the windows that show a bit of the background. The boss is weird. Everything halts when the floor is moving down. :P And yeah that's Finnish for "airship".
18. litchh - Chip Zone D (7.2/10)
  • Chad (6.6/10)
    • Well, this level certainly is intriguingly different. Not sure how I feel about the design, because while it isn't bad, it's somewhat all over the place, like I'm exploring a cluttered attic rather than playing a level. It works well enough for gameplay purposes, but the block placement didn't feel like there was a particular plan to it. I really like the creative enemies and hazards, though. The rabbits and the on/off switches are especially unique in terms of SMBX execution, and they work quite well. The boss is clever too, but when it gives you a weapon, it doesn't do so in a way that's fair to dodge. You're already sidestepping fireballs, then a big projectile lands on your head without warning. In general, it's a fine level with a decent dosage of creativity and uniqueness.
    Joey (5.0/10)
    • I didn't like this level at first because it seemed like a haphazard mess of sizables and coins that looked like blocks. There was a bit more development over the course of the level, and while I didn't care for the graphics I liked the way you customized the boss/enemies.
    Quill (7.0/10)
    • What a weird level. It was super strange, but some of the things in the level were really creative, such as the rabbit thing that wobbled the carpet. Man, that's a sentence I didn't expect I would be saying. Some things were kinda tricky to tell what they did though, like the coins, they looked solid so it was kinda confusing. The boss was actually pretty cool, though he could have had more attacks. The segment after it was adorable and clever. Overall though, good job!
    Layla (8.4/10)
    • I'd have to say, this wasn't at all the kind of level I expected to see this contest. It wasn't a traditional conventional level we see around the community so I'm going to assume it was made by a Talkhaus user. Nevertheless, it's a level that stays very true to it's theme and invokes a very nice, classic 8-bit feeling atmosphere. The events used to change how an enemy acts is all done fascinatingly well with invisible triggers hidden everywhere to change an enemy to do something else, and I can tell you tested this a ton just to make it all turn out right. The boss was also nice, using an enemy I wouldn't expect to be used to easily kill a mother brain.
    Valtteri (9.0/10)
    • This is fantastic. I love the fake boxes! I love the rabbits who try to trip you with a mat and then run away if you get too close! All the technical details in this level just make me really excited. The graphics are consistent, too, which is rare when it comes to levels like this that are based on something entirely different from Mario. So good job on that. It looks beautiful! And WAS it fun to play!
17. ap3jmpt - Giant Things and Lakitus (7.2/10)
  • Chad (7.8/10)
    • Pretty enjoyable level. It's a simple SMB1 style, but with excellent handling of giant enemies and plenty of design variation to provide a good balance to how they change the gameplay. The Lakitus are well-placed to make the level challenging, but there are also plenty of resources to fight back with. The secret path is a lot of fun too, because while it has plenty of toughened-up enemies, there are also plenty of buried things to use. The design is carefully planned around this as well, with restrictive and detailed structures suited to these tasks, which made it an enjoyable segment of the level. I found the Dragon Coin placements to be clever, too. There are a few things I didn't care for as much though, such as the multiple types of brown Goombas. The ones that are stompable and the ones that can be picked up are incredibly similar looking, and one variety should be given a different color. I also felt that the first rainbow Goomba appears too suddenly, as it speeds in your direction just as you're getting off the falling platform. Also, using the castle scenery as a warp to something as important as a second star is confusing, because even with the coin indicators, the castles aren't used for that 99% of the time so players aren't going to expect it, usually. In general though, this level is an entertaining revamp of a typical SMB1 setting, with different land constructions and giant resources expertly used for polished design and fun gameplay.
    Joey (5.0/10)
    • This level was really long, boring, and repetitive. After a while the blocks started to become more haphazard. There's not much more I can say because I covered most of it in the first sentence.
    Quill (8.0/10)
    • Oh man, this level is big! Well, it's not long, but it's big. ANYWAY, this was quite fun. The giant gimmick is rarely seen, but you put it to good use. While that's all well and good, it does sometimes get a little crazy though. I did really enjoy this though!
    Layla (7.5/10)
    • This was quite the amusing level to play, adding things as the level progressed, like different colored goombas, various piranha plant and bullet bill tricks, and giant mushrooms platforms. NPC variety was nice and coin & items were plentiful. I found the "Mario Sunshine" section was very strange and at some points rather tight, but it seemed to work well. The bonus section was also a nice touch. When it came to design, some points were very nice, like most of the mushroom platform area, but others felt very mediocre, like the piranha plant wave to get a dragon coin.
    Valtteri (7.7/10)
    • This is good! I would use small power-ups, though. Big power-ups look terrible inside the item reserve box. I kind of like what you did to get several kinds of Hammer Brothers, although they aren't completely without glitches. The black place is definitely different from the rest of the level but usually any background will do over just pitch black. The level is way too long. The way the terrain is shaped is ugly. There are way too many different clouds and it looks messy. And there's too much scenery.
16. Flying Brick - Anuvver Castle (7.54/10)
  • Chad (6.8/10)
    • Well, this is definitely a grand-looking place. The structure of the castle is pretty nice, with a good distribution of angled and flat surfaces to make the design look nice, and feel deliberate and polished. The reliance on lock-and-key obstacles are enjoyable as well, and enemy placements are well thought out and tricky, especially around the pillar-supported platform areas. However, one way that the level suffers is that there are absolutely no powerups between the first lock and the midpoint. This is especially problematic when the difficulty climbs immediately after Boom-Boom. It's also overkill to make Link fight a SMB3 Bowser AI twice. Once is plenty, considering that you have to be at point-blank range to attack, and the projectiles fly faster than you can get away from that spot. The battle seems as though it was intended for the secret room to be required, but for the life of me I couldn't find an extra key or alternate way in there. Overall, the level's pretty good and presents a clever variety of challenges, but the imbalance of difficulty versus the shortage of capabilities given to the player detract from the experience.
    Joey (7.0/10)
    • Everything in this level was good until the rising platforms. It started to get really difficult after that, and two whole runs with Ludwig seems like too much (especially on top of Larry and Boom Boom earlier). Other than that, I thought the level had a really nice flow to it and, while there were too many bosses, it presented a decent challenge to the player. The graphics were nice as well.
    Quill (7.0/10)
    • I like this level. You used Link's mechanics effectively and provided a nice level to progress in. Things did feel like they were dragging a bit. I was surprised when I got to the checkpoint as it felt like the end of the level to me. Jesus christ, that door at the end is huge though. Overall, it's a nice level. Nothing too much wrong with it. It has some nice qualities, but nothing too special.
    Layla (9.1/10)
    • I'm all about that atmosphere. Even if it was 90% Super Mario elements, it still proved to be an immensely well done Legend of Zelda style level. I even was forced to got to play as Link, which upped the atmosphere by a ton, plus the absolutely fantastic graphics AND music used. I absolutely fell over about how castle/tower like this level felt, with all these atmosphere-heavy elements included. I also loved the design and gimmicks like the locked gates and, the fairy room, and the platforms, because instead of making the level seem longer, they add to the gameplay. I did have some issues with the small reducing of power-ups as there a lot more enemies than were probably necessary.
    Valtteri (7.8/10)
    • This is a well done Link level, I would say. I'd personally try to make the environment more Zelda-y but I found little to complain about the gameplay. I got tired of carrying around keys really fast. The platform before the very first lock left without me because I didn't realize I couldn't go to the right quickly enough. I'd place it like five blocks higher and then place some steps around it so the player doesn't accidentally set it off by rushing into that part, but that's a minor thing. Well done otherwise!
15. Sux - Raining Blood (7.64/10)
  • Chad (7.5/10)
    • Well, this level is certainly something different. It has quite a dark atmosphere with a lot of detail and really elaborate design. Gameplay is somewhat standard at the beginning, but the toxic caves require a lot of interesting precision around lava, although perhaps a bit much given the difficulty and length. The rest of the level does a great job at offering complicated platforming, but the ridable cloud section is rather extreme. I know people like using the airship piece despite its bugginess, but it's still buggy, and very difficult to maneuver around the increased number of fireballs in. Putting the checkpoint right before it is helpful, though. The second cave is perhaps a bit much as well, with a lot of narrowly-avoidable lava, a barely reachable 1up, a Podoboo that snipes you from below, and considerable distance from the midpoint. I really enjoyed the transition to blood rain though, as doing so both visually and musically is a somewhat powerful presentation for a Mario level. In general, this is a really interesting level with a complicated structure, a uniquely dark theme, and plenty of challenge (but with a few things that could be ironed out a little).
    Joey (5.0/10)
    • I didn't like the blood theme of this level at all. Aside from that, none of the tilesets you used looked good with eachother or the background. The purple scenery didn't fit at all with the red castle, both of which didn't fit with the purple and brown dirt, all of which didn't fit with the background. The structural design of the level itself was okay, but everything else was a turnoff.
    Quill (9.5/10)
    • This level gave me chills, and I don't even know why. It's so god damn edgy yet it's wonderously werid. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it was definitally one of the most unique things I have ever played. Fantastic job on the atmosphere, it was outstanding. The level itself was fun to play through too, there was only one thing that needed attention. That invisible block in Section 2 was really cruel, as the player wouldn't think to look for it to progress. Overall though, great job! I really enjoyed this.
    Layla (8.8/10)
    • This level was pretty heavy on atmosphere. It had a dark, depressing atmosphere, and all the signs and toads saying deep and sad things didn't help one bit. All the graphics especially the music (rain sound was hideous though) added onto this and definitely gave this level an experience I won't forget, especially since you made the atmosphere so strong and memorable. Now for design, it's ok, with a few issues (Didn't FanofSMBX warn the entire community never to use NPC 280?). Albeit things look great, but some parts are fairly frustrating to play, especially areas with the purple lava. I also must say that the blood rain induces a lot of lag and the rain effect in the music sounds pretty bad and goes over everything else that makes a sound in the level. Any other way, I thought this level had some great effects save for some places that hurt the gameplay.
    Valtteri (7.4/10)
    • So here's a Mario level that ponders the horros of afterlife. On the right you can see an upside-down cross made out of purple switch blocks. The floor's slippery because there's blood on it. This level is very unusual, but it looks pretty cool, and the road varies in a nice way I suppose...
14. zlakergirl357 - Jammin' through the Jungle (7.66/10)
  • Chad (6.8/10)
    • It's been a while since I've seen a silhouette level, and this one certainly sells in the looks department (the water especially looks excellent) and presents a lot of cleverly puzzling and elaborate design and gimmicks to the player. Creative use is made of obscuring scenery to hide secrets, switches and items that transform certain aspects of the level, and generally a ton of great exploration. Unfortunately, the difficulty in this isn't as good. A darker background was chosen to work alongside the silhouette graphics, which makes things especially difficult because the dark objects don't stand out as much. They already blend in well enough with each other, as is the point of the gimmick, but the darker background to worsen this makes it borderline unreasonable. On top of that, frequent use is made of projectile enemies such as fire plants, lotuses, and Snifits, which are extremely difficult to anticipate. Bloopers and Jelectros are overkill as well, especially since the Jelectros can very easily look like platforms in the darkness. Overall, brilliant design and gameplay with very enjoyable and creative exploration and challenges, but conveying the visual gimmick needs some work and don't have so many difficult/projectile enemies. You need to remember that the darkness is its own added layer of difficulty, and it should be accomodated accordingly. It's still doable, but a lot harder than it has to be.
    Joey (9.0/10)
    • I wasn't able to finish this level because one warp may or may not have been formatted wrong, leading me to never uncover the entrance to the area with the star. It could've been my mistake, though. Anyway, this level was pretty awesome. I have never been a fan of silhouette-styled graphics until this level proved that it can be done right. Seriously, the silhouettes' blend with the background was really nice. The only thing I can think of is that you could try just making all of the graphics really dim instead of completely dark, but that might not even look any better. Nice job with this level.
    Quill (8.5/10)
    • Oh man, this is such a cool level. It sucks that it's pretty much uncompletable. The atmosphere is perfect, it feels mysterious, relaxing and fun too. The directions were very much appreciated, as well as the glowing on the player. That could have been used for blocks too, maybe. Other than that, it's pretty easy to figure out what's what, which I was surprised to see. There must have been a lot of effort put into this level, I couldn't see myself doing it (unless you did all the graphics last, of course).
    Layla (6.0/10)
    • I did not have the patience to look for dragon coins in a silhouette level where I can hardly see shit because the background is dark. This level is great and the atmosphere is fine, but you made a shit decision by making the entire level silhouetted PLUS that incredibly dark background so I can't see where I'm going, when I run into an enemy, or especially the dragon coins (for a while I thought they were necessary to retrieve the star ;-;). Also fuck floating water I will say that the level design aside from everything else is pretty nice. Coins and power-ups were plenty, and the enemies had fine placement. The biggest issue is the dark background, because I have a very big issue seeing a lot of vital things because of it.
    Valtteri (8.0/10)
    • Those are SMB2 vines and I can't climb them. No, it's not okay even if they're just silhouettes. This is a great level! You pulled the silhouette thing pretty well. I like the way the trees look. However, there's one tiny problem though that lasts throughout the level. I can't see stuff. I completed the level by randomly hitting things and paths opened and most of the time I didn't know what I did that caused it. It just felt like luck. :P There was a warp with an incorrect exit direction. Near the black silhouettes.
13. Nickname - SMG Starshine Beach (7.8/10)
  • Chad (8.0/10)
    • This is a really nice level! The design is enormous, with a lot of different paths to explore, but no matter which way you go there's always pleasant platforming and difficulty to greet you. Enemy placement is great, which keeps the level simple to play and lets you enjoy the cool graphical theme. The overall structure is complex and detailed, and I especially enjoyed the long-jump area and second star placement. The chests are a neat addition to the level, although the second one doesn't work, which seems to be a big oversight considering it's the exit. There are several dead-ends that lead to just a few coins and the purple cloud platforms blend in with the scenery ones, but overall this is definitely an enjoyable experience. Not a lot is offered in terms of gimmicks, but the level provides a lot with good raw gameplay.
    Joey (8.0/10)
    • All I got was a chest, so I'm going to assume that's where the star should be as I couldn't leave that area (upon looking at the level, there seemed to be a good portion that I didn't explore). I liked this level, but I was initially kind of thrown off by the bright blue dirt. It grew on me, I guess; you might also want to make the grass/tree BGOs a little brighter. That may or may not look good, but I think the contrast between the blue dirt and the green stuff is a bit heavy.
    Quill (7.0/10)
    • This was a cool level. I liked the start, it had some nice atmosphere and some interesting variety in design. However, as the level progressed, things started to become more bland and emptier, as if the level was rushed. It lost that beach feel. You should improve on that to make this level better.
    Layla (8.9/10)
    • Are you aware the second chest doesn't open to anything, that I'm going to assume may be a star? You also appear to have 7 Dragon coins and I'm not completely sure where you're going with that. Other than that this level was very nice and widespread. NPCs were placed nice, the entire atmosphere seemed to feel very nice and relaxed, and I like the mix of the tilesets as well as the use of those new Mario Maker mushrooms. It would be nice to add a few more coins as I thought they were spread out a little too thin.
    Valtteri (7.1/10)
    • Beautiful level! It has versatile challenges which is good. The Mario Maker SMW Mushrooms are supposed to be solid. That's the entire reason why they exist. SMW had no solid mushrooms like SMB1 so they made ones. So I found this chest that says "You opened the chest." and then nothing happened? And I was stuck. There was no way I could go.
12. PROX - Rocky Coast (8.12/10)
  • Chad (7.8/10)
    • Quite a good level! There's an enormous amount of detail and really polished design the whole way through, which made it quite fun to explore. It has a lot of strategic enemy placements that demand some careful movements from the player, and a generally fun difficulty and platforming experience. However, in the underwater sections exclusively, enemy placement is excessive and unpredictable. Jelectros, Cheep Cheeps, Bloopers, and even the occasional giant chasing fish all work against you at the same time in sections that are already restrictively designed. It's still manageable, especially if you have a Fire Flower, but it ends up being rather obnoxious. There's also no indication of where the second star pipe appears, which may result in players wandering the level aimlessly until discovering it's at the end. The last star coin doesn't make an extra sound either, so there's no immediate confirmation that the events are programmed properly, so the whole system ends up being rather vague in this case. The level's still quite enjoyable otherwise, though.
    Joey (8.0/10)
    • This level was cool, and I really liked all of the graphics. Sometimes, though, the first area (before the underwater part) felt a little busy in terms of graphics. The underwater part had a lot of enemies and it was, occasionally, hard to move around. The chasing Cheep Cheep was a cool addition, and the level really reminded me of NSMB2. The water piranha plants were also really cool. I didn't really like the music, but I did appreciate how the underwater music was a variation from the original.
    Quill (8.0/10)
    • Fairly good level. I liked the atmosphere, you captured the beach/sea theme well. Not sure I agree with what you did with the green switch, as one long path just leads to a dragon coin which can be a little misleading and annoy the player if they're not interested in that route. Overall though, it's a good level.
    Layla (8.5/10)
    • I'll say this is a fairly decent beach level. When it boils down to the design, it's very good and it has a lot of detail and areas for itself to develop and become more complex, which it does just fine. Underwater areas had a lot of bubbles that I didn't think were very useful considering the mass amounts of enemies in most of the underwater sections. The side tiles on the beach tileset also tend to cut off on pipes as well as the mixing with the sand tileset. I think it would be a good idea to not include the giant blue chasing cheep cheep and a leaf power-up in the same level, considering it turns the giant cheep cheep into a red SMB1 koopa shell.
    Valtteri (8.3/10)
    • This is a nice NSMB styled level. I appreciate the plentiful use of scenery, it looks pretty. The level is a nice mix of beach and underwater segments that are quite fun to play. Good job!
11. Darkonius64 - Murky Ruins (8.16/10)
  • Chad (7.4/10)
    • Intriguing level. The design is a nice hybrid mix of simple forest and detailed ruins, and I like how each of those has its own design plan. I especially enjoyed the more restrictive design of the ruins, as it made the level feel trickier. The level is also host to a number of interesting elements, such as statues that come to life, spike pits, falling platforms, and falling platforms. The bosses are rather impressive, especially being introduced in a way that eases the player into the concept. I would have liked to see more done with the ruins stuff, as I feel that's where the level really shines over the grassy parts, but what's here is still certainly good.
    Joey (9.0/10)
    • This level was really nice-looking and you had a really good idea with that boss. I liked nearly all of the graphics (except for maybe the Koopa Troopas) and this was a pretty solid level overall. I don't really have any complaints here at all. Nice work.
    Quill (7.5/10)
    • Interesting level. It's simply designed and enjoyable to go through. The length is also great too, good job with checkpoint placement. The boss was pretty cool, though I think it was too easy to kill him and there should have been more of a challenge. He could have taken more hits as well.
    Layla (8.6/10)
    • For being a pretty short level, I thought the gimmicks with the statues, especially the boss, were really cool and well done! The entire level looks really nice and I thought the music fit rather well. It felt kind of short, and the boss battle was incredibly easy, so I'd suggest embelishing a little more on the level entirely and this could definitely turn out to be amazing!
    Valtteri (8.3/10)
    • Beautiful ruins level! Very simple except for the boss which is pretty advanced I would say. The thing where the statue makes things that fly left and right when it hits the ground was pretty cool. You could have made the boss a lot more challenging, though. Everything required 1 jump on the head.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:50 am

Regarding my level: I don't know why the ednign event didn't work, it worked fine foir me. I assume the events screwed up, the npc talk event should've shown the layer w/ the smb3 star.

Joey: The portions you didn't explore were most likely alternate paths.

Layla: There are 7 Yoshi coins, but bc of split paths you can only get 5 (or 6 if you look for a way to get one from both paths).

Valtteri: If you look at the Mario Maker trailer, yoU'll see a Blooper passing through the platform from below.

13th place is a great result though.

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:11 am

Nickname wrote:Valtteri: If you look at the Mario Maker trailer, yoU'll see a Blooper passing through the platform from below.
That is hardly a valid reason to make the mushroom go-through. Bloopers and fish in general pass through all blocks solid or not in all 2D Mario games.

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:19 am

Valtteri, can we have a Top 10 list? :3

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:29 am

Well, didn't think that my half assed level would become 11th

Well, see you next contest, i've got something special in my bag!

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:35 am

What the actual fuck? Darkonius or Sux is not in Top 10? What kind of conspiracy is this?!?!?

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:39 am

zlakergirl357 wrote:What the actual fuck? Darkonius or Sux is not in Top 10? What kind of conspiracy is this?!?!?

Dude i didn't put any effort in my contest level this time, i made my level in literally 3 days.
As for sux's level...
I saw it yesterday and it's a huuuge step down in quality from his past work imo.

Flying Brick
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Flying Brick » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:41 am

16th, eh? Not bad. I did indeed notice the lack of powerups.... AFTER I had submitted the level. The trick to the secret room was to save the second key you found right after the first locked door and take it all the way through the level, which was admittedly pretty f***ing hard due to the lack of powerups. In any case, I reached my goal for this contest! Now, let's aim higher for the next one...

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:11 am

Top 10:

Bomber57
Dark-Mecha77
ElTipsta
FireLink
Sambo
sezixor
Shinbison-Kof
SuperMario7
Vanishing Bulborb
Waddle Derp

AirSeus
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Ok no

Postby AirSeus » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:15 am

Oh look, Shinbison-Kof is in the final 10 again, I wonder if you will win like last time Shinbison.

sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Postby sezixor » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:21 am

I'm personally rooting for FireLink or SuperMario7 to win, since they've never won a contest before and deserve the title. It could definitley go any way, though.

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:34 am

Valtteri wrote:Top 10:

Bomber57
Dark-Mecha77
ElTipsta
FireLink
Sambo
sezixor
Shinbison-Kof
SuperMario7
Vanishing Bulborb
Waddle Derp
Call me biased but I hope Waddle Derp wins :D

Sux
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Sux » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:55 am

It is interesting that in every contest, one judge fucks with my score ...

sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Postby sezixor » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:01 am

By the way Valtteri, what number of places do you plan to post when you release the next set of results? For example, will you be posting places 10-3 like you did two contests ago, or will it be something else?

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:04 am

sezixor wrote:By the way Valtteri, what number of places do you plan to post when you release the next set of results? For example, will you be posting places 10-3 like you did two contests ago, or will it be something else?
He's gonna post the winner tomorrow.

Sux
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Sux » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:05 am

When will be CC11?

Return to “Level Contests”