There was no tie in any contests.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Re: Winter Contest: Tier 6!!!

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:37 pm

zlakergirl357 wrote:inb4 a tie
You know I want I tie for first with bossedit8, but even I know it is unlikely with anyone, including me or any one else for that matter! Not saying it is not possible, but unlikely! Hope it happens though!

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:40 pm

Lol thanks Darkonius!
I wanted to wish good luck to FireLink, I've seen some levels and if he wins the contest I'm not be surprised in absolute because he is a great level designer, also I admit that I did not give much effort on my level, I just did it for fun, to be honest I'm surprised to get to the Top 2 with the Top 10 would have been happy.
FireLink Good luck!
Last edited by Lx Xzit on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps

Postby TLtimelord » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:42 pm

GLD4 wrote:
There were like a million ties in both CC4 and CC5.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:43 pm

I really think both are great designers and would equally deserve to win.

I got my 13th place and that's all I care about :^)

SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Postby SuperMario7 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:46 pm

GLD4 wrote:
There was going to be a tie for first place in CC5 between FireLink and I, but my review for another level was disqualified and so that level ended up winning.

Anyway, congrats FireLink and Dark Mecha on making the top 2! Both of you are amazing level designers and I could see either winning. Good luck guys.

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:31 pm

it's 00:30 here.

where the fuck are the results

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:45 pm

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
You know I want I tie for first with bossedit8, but even I know it is unlikely with anyone, including me or any one else for that matter! Not saying it is not possible, but unlikely! Hope it happens though!
How many times did you say this now? You keep repeating.

silent_
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby silent_ » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:53 pm

Spoiler: show
winner now or

i already regret posting this, plz don't kill me

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Re: Winter Contest: The Winner and the Runner-up

Postby Valtteri » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:05 pm

We have a winner! Congratulations, and to the runner-upper too. You were 0.02 points apart. :P Thanks to the judges for doing your best and also to our replacement judges bossedit8, Bomber57 and zlakergirl357. And thank you to all of the contestants. You were all great!

Here's Tower of Biased 9: http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... =36&t=7492
Spoiler: show
2. FireLink - BRKS Sacred Menace RX (8.96/10)
  • Chad (9.2/10)
    • Wow, I was thoroughly impressed with this level. I like that it uses a mystical theme in a way that's very modest about its presentation, especially at the start to gradually introduce the scenario. The level's pretty generously decorated, but it does a good job at setting the environment without mixing a million tilesets and overflowing with scenery. The design reflects the presentation similarly, as it's very explorative and well-crafted, uses a lot of ideas in great ways, yet retains some pleasant difficulty and simple gameplay so you can just enjoy the level. The level's long enough to nearly hit the block limit, but I didn't feel bored or overwhelmed at any point and none of the effort felt lacking. The magical cloud platform events are interesting, the skull rafts are thoughtfully placed, and even the lava areas have clever designs without being too demanding. However, the lava "chase" at the end is completely unnecessary and isn't executed as well. It's unclear how fast you need to be when the lava just teleports large distances at unpredictable intervals, and dying to that would be incredibly cheap considering how far back the midpoint is. If you wanted a boss, you probably could have had one replace that lava section entirely without issue. Granted, it would have to be an easier boss because, again, midpoint distance. It would also make the Magikoopas actually lead up to something. The exclamation point spot is also a little lame because it still doesn't tell you what's coming or how to react, and you could have put invisible vines in front of the fences to prevent the moving layer bug. Other than that, this level was extremely fun, and the effort put into it really paid off. Great work!
    Joey (9.0/10)
    • This level was really cool but it was really long. Some of the maneuvers required to get around NPCs and such were pretty difficult as well, but overall this was one of the better-designed levels I've played in this contest. Please make more like this, but maybe make them just a little bit shorter. Or don't. It was pretty good either way, just difficult. If I could criticize anything else it would probably be that the BGOs/angry stars/NPCs amounts felt a little bit busy and random sometimes, and the ugly SMW Venus Fire Trap.
    Quill (8.5/10)
    • Very nice level. The theme has been overused to death, but you kept things interesting with creative gimmicks such as the floating platform activating an event as well as the magikoopas. I would have rather had a boss than the lava chase segment, as those aren't normally that fun or interesting. The level kinda overstays its welcome too, it's pretty massive. Overall though, good job.
    Layla (9.6/10)
    • Absolutely fantastic job on this level! Not only did it have a great high in the sky ruins atmosphere but it also played around a lot switching from castle to forest to a little bit of water to lava in many different places and it gave the level a lot of unique aspects and graphics variety that kept it fun to play all the way through! Coins and power-ups were plentiful across the level, which helped with the random appearances of fire magikoopas (which might I add was a nice addition and it worked very well). The lava run at the end was a decent addition, and it was even a rather close call as well. My only real complaint was that the midpoint could have been a little closer towards the end.
    Valtteri (8.5/10)
    • This level has this fascinating metallic shine to it. It's really cool! I like the paths that open when you go near them; they're pointless but give the level a fresh feeling... for now. They're getting quite popular. The part where the Skullraft stands still and the lava goes down a bit and then the Skullraft starts moving is pretty clever. The red Magikoopa that appears every now and then is pretty interesting, although not an entirely new concept anymore. The climbable fences lift you up which is annoying. You can fix this by placing invisible vines all over them. The last bit with the lava appearing behind you was pretty fun especially with the Super Leaf.
1. Dark-Mecha77 - Gravitational Heaviness (8.98/10)
  • Chad (7.6/10)
    • Cool space station level. Excellent use is made of antigravity gimmicks, and is a great test of the player's timing and speed. It functions quite well, and I really enjoyed the interval-based gravity switching as well, because it made the gimmick feel like it got more intense over time. The sections are laid out extremely well too, with impressive placements of projectile enemies, spikes, and Roto-discs along with restrictive tileset layouts to ensure strategic thinking from the player. There's also an admirable amount of detail conveyed in the level's presentation, however the colors are too similar to the solid surfaces (on both gravity settings). The boss is creatively executed and has quite a challenging difficulty to it, but it'd function a lot better if the gray and red bombs didn't often cancel each other out and the boss wasn't so far from the midpoint. It's quite a hard boss, and the difficulty's still fair by itself, but you have a large amount of level to redo if it kills you. The disappearing arena edges is a neat idea, though. Overall, fun and well-designed level, great gimmick, but visuals and boss handling could be a bit better.
    Joey (9.0/10)
    • This was a really cool level and I loved the gravity mechanic. The only things I didn't like were the piranha plant graphics and the boss - I think having the gray bombs that immediately explode was too difficult. I would suggest setting them on a timer to maybe send 3 down at a time every 10 seconds, and keep the red bomb interval the same. You could even use the timer sounds from the gravity timer (if you can get the gravity timer to turn off once you enter the boss area) and create a timer for the gray bombs as well. Great job overall, this level was nice.
    Quill (9.5/10)
    • Really cool level! The gimmick is used beautifully, and you kept it fresh by altering how it works in the second half. The boss was pretty fun too, but I would have liked to see the gimmick used for the boss as well, as that would have helped bypass the whole events going on in the background which you can't see. Overall though, fantastic job!
    Layla (8.8/10)
    • What is with using underwater as an excuse as antigravity? It's really not as flashy as you think and if not used properly (It was used properly here, though) can make a level seem really cheesy. When turning on the antigravity, the slightly darker shading absolutely killed my framespeed, so I'd suggest getting rid of the tint and this would be a lot more fun of a level to play. Nevertheless, the design was absolutely fantastic and I will admittedly say the gimmick worked out very well. The generator on the boss at the end seemed to shoot out bombs a little quickly and it cost me a lot of dying and losing power-ups.
    Valtteri (10.0/10)
    • This is a really nice level! The timed gravitation things are a creative thing. They make the level fun and interesting to play. The enemy, power-up and coin placement is fair. Level looks beautiful and consistent. I like how the boss is literally just a flying Mother Brain. You could take that as an insult to bosses that are reskins of Mother Brain and just fly back and forth...

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:10 pm

Too bad Dark Mecha left the community ;-;
I've already sent him a PM over on NSMBX, I'll see how he responds!

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:15 pm

Congratulations Firelink and Dark mecha, and all participants. :D
I've played firelink, and darkmecha levels, are great levels, but Firelink deserved win. (IMO)
Last edited by Shinbison-Kof on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:17 pm

Congrats, FireLink and Dark Mecha!

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:39 pm

I am very happy to be in such a position, and thank you very much to the judges for their revisions, also congratulations to FireLink and a difference of 0.2 is nothing.
Thanks everybody!
Last edited by Lx Xzit on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupahKupah
Hoopster
Hoopster
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby SupahKupah » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:01 pm

Congrats DarkMecha, you are the first user to speak Spanish in winning a contest, and the second Latin American to win this! Felicidades amigo! :3

SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Postby SuperMario7 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:31 pm

Congratulations Dark Mecha! I played your level and it is obviously great. It's my second favorite level from you.

Also, good job FireLink and everyone else in the contest! This contest is one of my favorites; the levels I've played so far (I'm playing through starting with the top 10) are really fun. I'm already looking forward to CC11.

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:37 pm

SuperMario7 wrote:Congratulations Dark Mecha! I played your level and it is obviously great. It's my second favorite level from you.

Also, good job FireLink and everyone else in the contest! This contest is one of my favorites; the levels I've played so far (I'm playing through starting with the top 10) are really fun. I'm already looking forward to CC11.
Speaking of CC11:
Apparently,

[20:27] <Marina> cc11 is gonna be in july lol
[20:28] <Marina> when elsa is back

Welp.
We just gotta be patient.
Goodbye, Valtteri. We will all miss you ;-;

MistakesWereMade
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MistakesWereMade » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:38 pm

i mean thats the reasonable time to have a contest, not every like 1.5 months (which btw is the reason why i stopped caring about the winner)

ssumday
Bit
Bit
Flair: Nope

Postby ssumday » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:54 pm

I admit I didn't expect my level get top 2. But after DarkMecha say that his level was made for fun, I was very confident in me winning this CC.
Second place left me frustrated, but I accepted it without problems.
Congrats to DarkMecha. ;)

Return to “Level Contests”