Claim Levels

The hidden forum for The Invasion 3 development discussion.
Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Claim Levels

Postby Valtteri » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Welcome to the forum for The Invasion 3 development discussion! We've finally got the basic structure planned and you can now begin claiming levels. Here are some guidelines for designing first, though. It is important that you follow them, because that way the episode will keep consistent.

Please read Red Yoshi's notes on designing levels: http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... =82&t=6626

Remember that every level has an intro sequence. You must build your level in the level template. The level template has the intro sequence prebuilt so we don't have to create it from scratch for every level. Please do read the notes on designing levels; there's a couple more things you need to know before you begin.

Here is the list of worlds and levels. Next to the world names you can see which power-ups you're restricted to. The (Secret Exit) marks if the level has a Key exit in addition to the normal SMB3 exit and the Star. The other text in parenthesis marks the desired style. We didn't come up with names for some of the levels yet; you may name them yourself upon claiming them. The green bold levels are complete. The purple italic levels have been claimed.

You may claim 3 levels at a time and you may claim three more once you've completed the three levels you claimed previously. Claim levels by simply posting in this topic saying you'd like to make the three levels you've chosen. Post the levels in topics dedicated to each world. You can create a new one if it doesn't exist. Have fun!

Oh, and feedback and suggestions on the current plan are welcome! Ask any questions, too, if you have them.

Worlds and levels:
Spoiler: show
  • World 1: Goomba Grasslands (Fire Flower, Kuribo's Shoe)
    1-1 Super Easy Road (sezixor)
    1-2 Grassy Grass Grasslands (SuperMario7)
    Screenshot Download
    1-3 Misplaced Pipehammer Maze (Secret Exit) (Dark-Mecha77) Screenshot
    1-4 Floating Brick Niche (Secret Exit) (zlakergirl357)
    1-5 Evening Athletics (Chad) Download
    1-6 Very Old Ruins (Secret Exit) (Valtteri)
    1-7 Dungeon of Pain (Sednaiur)
    1-B A Hidden Getaway (zlakerboy357) Download

World 2: Subcon (Leaf, Ice Flower and Fire Flower)
    2-1 Subcon Nightmare Land (Dark-Mecha77)
    2-2 Long Way Up, Short Way Down (Secret Exit) (Chad) Download
    2-3 Megaton Vase Hole (SuperMario7) Download
    2-4 Tracks (Bridge level, like minecarts) (Red Yoshi)
    2-5 Field of Shotgun Vases (Secret Exit) (Sezixor) Screenshot
    2-6 Brick Hole Massacre (Secret Exit) (Ace)
    2-7 Token Water Level (PixelPest)
    3-8 Super Pipe Action Town (zlakerboy357) Screenshot Download
    2-9 Dungeon of Agony (TNTtimelord)
    2-B Secret Squirrel Area (zlakerboy357)

World 3: Dino Island (Super Mario World) (Leaf, Ice Flower, Fire Flower, Green Yoshi)
    3-1 Super Nolstalgia World (Shinbison-Kof)
    3-2 Jumpy Hoppy Turtle Zone (Dark-Mecha77)
    3-3 Pwnhammer Ecodome (Chad) Screenshot Download
    3-4 Switch Action Zone (Secret Exit) (SuperMario7) Download
    3-5 Panic Zone (Dark-Mecha77) Screenshot Download
    3-6 Painful Playland (zlakerboy357) Screenshot Screenshot Download
    3-7 Dungeon of Strange Happenings (Chad)
    3-B The Treasure House (zlakerboy357)

World 4: Hammer Plains (Tanooki Suit, Purple Yoshi, Pink Yoshi)
    4-1 Flying Raccoon Zone (Secret Exit) (Darkonius Mavakar) Download
    4-2 Go Go Goomba! (SuperMario7) Download
    4-3 The Great Fish Fiasco (ElTipsta) Screenshot
    4-4 Retroville (Sezixor)
    4-5 Dungeon of Inappropriate Phrases (Valtteri)
    4-6 A Short Level (Secret Exit) (Sednaiur) Download
    4-7 To Planet Pwnhammer! (Secret Exit) (Valtteri)
    4-8 The Suck (zlakerboy357)
    4-9 The Invasion I (PixelPest)
    4-B Another Bonus Area (zlakerboy357)

World 5: Koopahari Desert (Fire Flower, Podoboo's Shoe)
    5-1 The Hot Boot (Secret Exit) (zlakergirl357)
    5-2 Desert Maze (Sednaiur) Download
    5-3 Pyramid of Fail (2 Secret Exits)
    5-4 Pyramid Action Machine (Valtteri)
    5-5 Sandy Ghosty Hammer Town
    5-6 Seaside Ruins (zlakergirl357)
    5-7 Cliffs of Insanity (zephyr)
    5-8 The Invasion II
    5-B Oasis (Bonus Area) (zlakergirl357)

World 6: Lakitu Forest (Hammer Suit, Blue Yoshi)
    6-1 The Rawest Forest (Maze) (Secret Exit) (Red Yoshi)
    6-2 The Lost Woods (Secret Exit) (Shinbison-Kof)
    6-3 DO NOT ENTER (Ghost House)
    6-4 Underground Battle Arena (Secret Exit) (DarkMecha)
    6-5 Lakitu War Zone
    6-6 Toxic Tunnels (Cave) (Sezixor)
    6-7 Shell Heaven (Sednaiur)
    6-8 Dungeon of Roots (Forest Dungeon)
    6-9 The Invasion III

World 7: Blooper Islands (All items)
    7-1 The Water is Not a Lie
    7-2 Oldschool Plumbers (DarkMecha)
    7-3 Random Water Level
    7-4 Dire Dire Rocks (Secret Exit)
    7-5 Bubbles in the Sky
    7-6 Lake of Laughter
    7-7 Dungeon of Wet Things
    7-8 The Invasion IV (Sux)

World 8: Parachute Plateau (Mountain) (All items)
    8-1 (Sux)
    8-2
    8-3
    8-4 (Pwnhammer 3)
    8-5 Muncher Mountain (Secret Exit) (TNTtimelord)
    8-6 Cursed Mountainside
    8-7 Dungeon of Piranha's Pipe
    8-8 The Invasion V

World 9: Wasteland (Lava) (All items)
    9-1 The Front Line
    9-2 The Crater (PixelPest)
    9-3 Sunstream Cavern
    9-4 (Pwnhammer 4)
    9-5 (Sux)
    9-6 Waluigi's Return (Secret Exit)
    9-7 Dungeon Of Wrong Turns (Blue)
    9-8 Invasion VI

World 10: Lava Lake (Land Forces) (All items)
    10-1 Easymode Tanks
    10-2 Hardmode Tanks
    10-3 Ramparts
    10-4 The King of the Koopas

Shortcut Zone A (Ice Flower, Ice Yoshi)
    S-1 White Savage Zone (Snow) (Sednaiur)
    S-2 Frigid Awesome Land (Ice)
    S-3 The Mole Hole (Cave/Snow)
    S-4 Pushy Penguins (Ice) (Blue)

Shortcut Zone B (Items based on other games)
    This world contains levels with themes from various video games.
    S-5 Jungle Groove (DK Country) (Darkonius64) Download
    S-6 The Lost Temple (Zelda) (Valtteri)
    S-7 (Earthbound)
    S-8 Starlight Zone (Sonic) (Shinbison-Kof) Screenshot
    S-9 (Kirby)

SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Re: Claim Levels

Postby SuperMario7 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:09 pm

Can I claim 1-2 Grassy Grass Grasslands?

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:12 pm

Sure.

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:25 pm

Can I claim 1-4 Floating Brick Niche?
Last edited by Lx Xzit on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chad
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Chad » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Glad to see this officially begin! I have a couple of questions/suggestions, though:
  • Instead of a star graphic in the level itself, how about having a path go from each level to an empty space that marks the collection of the star, much like Vengeance on Redigit? It'd be a convenient world map equivalent of star indicators in front of hub doors, and it eliminates a time-consuming hassle of going into each level one-by-one to see if you got each star. Either that, or perhaps an STTB2-esque star pillar level can be made for each world.
  • Any specific rules on custom music and level design? Should music be mostly vanilla like the other Invasions were, only Mario-themed, or what? Should the level design be fairly short and mostly linear like past Invasions? I think shortness should be encouraged, because I believe that focusing on longer levels as what's most commonly found in the community could increase the likelihood of us running out of steam.
  • There should be at least one or two more Pwnhammer levels considering the increased size of this game. Such an iconic series deserves more love!
I'd also like to claim 5-3 (Pwnhammer Ecodome, although can you elaborate a bit on what you expect from that?), 1-5 (Evening Athletics), and 3-2 (Long Way Up, Short Way Down).

sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Postby sezixor » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:55 pm

Awesome to see that this has been posted! But it would definitely be nice if you could answer some of the questions that Chad brought up, as they would help me as well. When you want us to design the levels based off of the ones from The Invasion 2, how similar do you want them to be? Just similar in regard to the gimmicks, or the design and structure as well? What about the graphics? How close should they be to the original?

For now I'll claim 1-1 Super Easy Road. I'll claim two more soon when I fully understand how we will be doing this.

Red Yoshi
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Red Yoshi » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:59 pm

Me and valtteri were talking about them right now. So, he's about to post the answers.
=)
EDIT: Go wild on pwnhammer levels! But following the metroid style.

SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Postby SuperMario7 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:07 pm

I've started my level. Does this look alright so far?

BTW, is it okay if I add a Kuribo's Shoe in this level? It says that this world should have some, soooo.....

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Chad wrote:Glad to see this officially begin! I have a couple of questions/suggestions, though:
  • Instead of a star graphic in the level itself, how about having a path go from each level to an empty space that marks the collection of the star, much like Vengeance on Redigit? It'd be a convenient world map equivalent of star indicators in front of hub doors, and it eliminates a time-consuming hassle of going into each level one-by-one to see if you got each star. Either that, or perhaps an STTB2-esque star pillar level can be made for each world.
  • Any specific rules on custom music and level design? Should music be mostly vanilla like the other Invasions were, only Mario-themed, or what? Should the level design be fairly short and mostly linear like past Invasions?
  • There should be at least one or two more Pwnhammer levels considering the increased size of this game. Such an iconic series deserves more love!
I'd also like to claim 5-3 (Pwnhammer Ecodome, although can you elaborate a bit on what you expect from that?), 1-5 (Evening Athletics), and 3-2 (Long Way Up, Short Way Down).
I agree, we'll use the path system. Also, I should mention that the Shadow and Light Realms should have lots of connections throughout the levels. Like have some switch on the other side and it would affect the other side for example. The realms mustn't be useless. :P Think of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Light Aether and Dark Aether) and LoZ: A Link to the Past (Light World and Dark World).

Lean more towards vanilla, yes. The levels don't need to be strictly linear, just make sure the player can't get lost or anything. The length should be around the same as that of the Invasion 2 levels. You can do an exception for the mountain and space worlds (except don't make those too long either). For now, you may only use custom music for levels in those two worlds also.

You're right about Pwnhammer too. I'm adding a Pwnhammer to the Mountain and Space worlds, so we now have 4 in total. Pwnhammer Ecodome is supposed to be kind of like Pwnhammer (level 15) in Invasion 2. Use some neat Super Metroid tileset and the Billy Gun (or something).
Sezixor wrote:When you want us to design the levels based off of the ones from The Invasion 2, how similar do you want them to be? Just similar in regard to the gimmicks, or the design and structure as well? What about the graphics? How close should they be to the original?
Use new gimmicks if possible. The structure doesn't have to be strictly linear but make sure the player can't get lost. The graphics should be kept somewhat loyal to Super Mario All-Stars, much like in the original Invasions. In Invasion 2 most levels used a tileset that's built in in SMBX but used some custom graphics alongside, but there were a couple of levels with completely custom tilesets, like Pwnhammer Duece.
SuperMario7 wrote:Image
It looks great, but if I may wish, tone down with the SMB3 recolored stuff. Leave out at least two of these five things: SMB2 trees, SMB1 bushes, SMW grass, SMW background. I think it would fit fine if you used the normal SMB3 grass tileset and the SMB3 spotted hills background. :)

Chad
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Chad » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:48 pm

In that case, I'm confused on how the two Realms are supposed to work. I thought the Dark one was just supposed to be some kind of parallel hard mode that wouldn't be connected except for a single potion door at some point. If each realm had switches that affected the other, wouldn't players have to constantly jump between them, regardless of whether or not they felt like going after the star? I think that'd needlessly complicate every level and get repetitive and time consuming. It would be better as an optional, independent harder challenge.

Shinbison-Kof
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:28 pm

Can I claim 5-1 Super Nostalgia World?

sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Postby sezixor » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:16 pm

As I've begun to work on the first level, a few things have come to mind. Will dragon coins be necessary for these levels? I am assuming that is a yes considering that the levels in the worlds that we have completed have them, but I'd like to be sure. Also, I would like everyone's opinion on the music I should use for the first level. The level that I've started is going to be a short, generic wood level just like in the original. Do you think I should I should use the default SMB3 overworld music to go along with it, or would it be better with something else? I normally decide this kind of thing for myself instead of asking, but I would like to do it right considering that it is going to be the first level of the game.

Also, Valtteri:
if I may wish, tone down with the SMB3 recolored stuff. Leave out at least two of these five things: SMB2 trees, SMB1 bushes, SMW grass, SMW background. I think it would fit fine if you used the normal SMB3 grass tileset and the SMB3 spotted hills background.
I honestly hope this isn't going to be the graphic plan for the majority of the game. I mean, I can absolutely see where you're coming from, and without a doubt, there will be many levels like this which will have more vanilla graphics similar to what you asked for in the above quote. But honestly, it would be cool if we could make some more levels which go by more of today's standards. We already have two worlds that have nothing but levels with custom graphics, we might as well add some more so it isn't just three worlds of levels with nothing but vanilla graphics, then the player comes to the cave or the water world and it is graphically the complete opposite. In other words, would we be able to make some of the levels vanilla, but be able to make others which are more similar to SuperMario7's level graphically? If it is okay with you, that is.

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:45 am

Question:

are we forced to make a dark version of the level?
and if we do, how do we use the "dim colors" do we have to put a shitton of shadow bgos?
i'm kinda confused regarding this shadow real, any example level would help me.

EDIT: btw i want to claim the DK country level, i can work on it but i won't be able to sent it soon because pc is a dick, i also need to figure out how these shadow realm thingies work.

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:53 am

Chad wrote:In that case, I'm confused on how the two Realms are supposed to work. I thought the Dark one was just supposed to be some kind of parallel hard mode that wouldn't be connected except for a single potion door at some point. If each realm had switches that affected the other, wouldn't players have to constantly jump between them, regardless of whether or not they felt like going after the star? I think that'd needlessly complicate every level and get repetitive and time consuming. It would be better as an optional, independent harder challenge.
I worded that poorly. What all the levels should do is have new stuff unlock in the level upon getting the star in the Shadow Realm, like new paths or something as simple as some additional power-ups to reward the player.

I don't think the multiple connections part is that complicated either, though. You should make it so the player can't play the Light Realm to the end and then leap to the Shadow Realm and get the "difficult" star without further effort. But if you find the concept complicated, what I said in the previous paragraph is enough. It's probably better to only have a handful of levels make use of the dimensions concept to its full extent.
sezixor wrote:As I've begun to work on the first level, a few things have come to mind. Will dragon coins be necessary for these levels? I am assuming that is a yes considering that the levels in the worlds that we have completed have them, but I'd like to be sure. Also, I would like everyone's opinion on the music I should use for the first level. The level that I've started is going to be a short, generic wood level just like in the original. Do you think I should I should use the default SMB3 overworld music to go along with it, or would it be better with something else? I normally decide this kind of thing for myself instead of asking, but I would like to do it right considering that it is going to be the first level of the game.
Use the SMB3 overworld theme. I said earlier that we should save custom music for the alternate worlds that consist of the community levels and then the two new worlds, the mountain and space worlds.
sezixor wrote:I honestly hope this isn't going to be the graphic plan for the majority of the game. I mean, I can absolutely see where you're coming from, and without a doubt, there will be many levels like this which will have more vanilla graphics similar to what you asked for in the above quote. But honestly, it would be cool if we could make some more levels which go by more of today's standards. We already have two worlds that have nothing but levels with custom graphics, we might as well add some more so it isn't just three worlds of levels with nothing but vanilla graphics, then the player comes to the cave or the water world and it is graphically the complete opposite. In other words, would we be able to make some of the levels vanilla, but be able to make others which are more similar to SuperMario7's level graphically? If it is okay with you, that is.
Having levels that heavily differ from the normal Invasion style all around the game would defeat the purpose of the community level worlds being optional. The reason we did that was because people complained that the community levels didn't match the spirit of the series. And it's not just those three worlds that will have strange levels. I already said the mountain and space worlds can have progressive levels; they don't need to follow the vanilla style. So we'll have five (actually four and a half since world 8 is just four levels) worlds that consist of progressive levels. I think that should satisfy everyone?
Darkonius Mavakar wrote:are we forced to make a dark version of the level?
and if we do, how do we use the "dim colors" do we have to put a shitton of shadow bgos?
i'm kinda confused regarding this shadow real, any example level would help me.
Yes, every level should have the dark dimension side. It can be accomplished by simply changing the background to a darker one, but when the light dimension side doesn't have a bright background, you'll need to use an alternate tileset. We won't be using BGOs as those don't look too good.

And you're right, I should give you an example of the Shadow Realm. Here's an example level that Blue (from the SMBX tester team, not Garyoak or Blue Bomber btw) made:

https://www.mediafire.com/?cd4u4xi3hn0apda

He just made the dark side have a different background and made it slightly harder. What I want you to do also is make getting the star in the Shadow Realm open new stuff in the Light Realm.

sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Postby sezixor » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:19 am

Yeah, that works with me. Five worlds should be enough of a combination of both design styles. I'll also claim 3-5 Field of Shotgun Vases. Seeing as that Toxic Tunnels has my name on it, this will be my third.

I might have a screen of my level posted sometime today.

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:35 am

You didn't answer my question Frozen Mcfinnishpants :CCC
(don't worry i won't call ye like that ever again, i'm joking)

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:28 am

Darkonius Mavakar wrote:You didn't answer my question Frozen Mcfinnishpants :CCC
(don't worry i won't call ye like that ever again, i'm joking)
Yes, every level should have the dark dimension side. It can be accomplished by simply changing the background to a darker one, but when the light dimension side doesn't have a bright background, you'll need to use an alternate tileset. We won't be using BGOs as those don't look too good.

And you're right, I should give you an example of the Shadow Realm. Here's an example level that Blue (from the SMBX tester team, not Garyoak or Blue Bomber btw) made:

https://www.mediafire.com/?cd4u4xi3hn0apda

He just made the dark side have a different background and made it slightly harder. What I want you to do also is make getting the star in the Shadow Realm open new stuff in the Light Realm.

Chad
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Chad » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:53 am

Valtteri wrote:I worded that poorly. What all the levels should do is have new stuff unlock in the level upon getting the star in the Shadow Realm, like new paths or something as simple as some additional power-ups to reward the player.
All right, that sounds good. Maybe some of the secret exits can be based on the Shadow Realm stars, too. However, I wonder if the new content in the main area would be enough of a motivator for revisiting the level as opposed to just getting some new powerups in the next one. Perhaps those would be good locations for higher-level stuff like Yoshis and Boots.
Valtteri wrote:I don't think the multiple connections part is that complicated either, though. You should make it so the player can't play the Light Realm to the end and then leap to the Shadow Realm and get the "difficult" star without further effort. But if you find the concept complicated, what I said in the previous paragraph is enough. It's probably better to only have a handful of levels make use of the dimensions concept to its full extent.
When I said it'd be complicated, I just figured that having the player jump between realms multiple times in one go would get unnecessarily elaborate and tiresome, especially after multiple levels. It sounds like this will be simpler than that, though. I'll take a look at the example file and get a feel for it.

Also, one more question about Pwnhammer Ecodome: Instead of using a full-on Metroid tileset, could I use SMB1 tilesets/enemies recolored based on Metroid ones alongside a Metroid background? Since Pwnhammer Deuce did that with enemies, and Invasion 1 Pwnhammers were generally SMB1 underground stuff with Metroid backgrounds (which I always thought felt created a cool gloomy Mario atmosphere), this could be an interesting hybrid between the two. It'd also maintain the vanilla aspect of this project a little more, aside from color changes.

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:20 am

Chad wrote:When I said it'd be complicated, I just figured that having the player jump between realms multiple times in one go would get unnecessarily elaborate and tiresome, especially after multiple levels. It sounds like this will be simpler than that, though. I'll take a look at the example file and get a feel for it.
The example level is really simple. I'll do some more advenced stuff with the dimensions in a level later and you can play that and get a better understanding on what I'm talking about.
Chad wrote:Also, one more question about Pwnhammer Ecodome: Instead of using a full-on Metroid tileset, could I use SMB1 tilesets/enemies recolored based on Metroid ones alongside a Metroid background? Since Pwnhammer Deuce did that with enemies, and Invasion 1 Pwnhammers were generally SMB1 underground stuff with Metroid backgrounds (which I always thought felt created a cool gloomy Mario atmosphere), this could be an interesting hybrid between the two. It'd also maintain the vanilla aspect of this project a little more, aside from color changes.
Yeah, that sounds good.

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:42 am

I just noticed a mistake in the intro that Red Yoshi did, the player can jump and commit suicide if desired, when the name and image of the level appear, the player can move freely, which is a problem because commit suicide , I'm not sure if this happens in all the intros, but check screenshot of the error:
BTW I have a suggestion, I'm not sure if this had considered, I thought it would be a good idea to add 5 coins of SMA4 at all levels, I leave here a preview of the graphic:
Image <-- Made by Shikaternia

Return to “The Invasion 3”