The Invasion 3: Shadow Star

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Yung Gotenks
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Re: The Invasion 3: Shadow Star

Postby Yung Gotenks » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:06 pm

This actually looks good and i'm really hyped for this. Nice job!

An Untaken Username
Koopa
Koopa

Postby An Untaken Username » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:11 am

I love the look of the world map! Was it you who made the custom graphics for it? if so please put it in a update for you graphics pack! :P this next bit is a bit of speculation. I set it as a spoiler just incase that's whats actually happening in the pic.
Spoiler: show
in this image here Image it looks like Mario has got himself in court. part of the plot maybe? the plot maybe that someone commited a crime and pinned it on Mario and Mario is off to find out who did it. maybe return of a shadow Mario like figure (from sunshine)

loop
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: i may be dumb but im not stupid!
Pronouns: he/him/they

Postby loop » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:40 am

An Untaken Username wrote:I love the look of the world map! Was it you who made the custom graphics for it? if so please put it in a update for you graphics pack! :P this next bit is a bit of speculation. I set it as a spoiler just incase that's whats actually happening in the pic.
in this image here Image it looks like Mario has got himself in court. part of the plot maybe? the plot maybe that someone commited a crime and pinned it on Mario and Mario is off to find out who did it. maybe return of a shadow Mario like figure (from sunshine)
Your image is broken. I do like the sound of it though.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:16 pm

My little take on the level "White Savage Zone":
Originally this level was supposed to be done around 4 months ago. Loos like I slightly missed that date. xD

Also, the Ptooies in this level work exactly like in the original SMB3. The ones in the pipes at least. :-P

Alagirez
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Show your fangs!
Pronouns: He/Him/That wolf

Postby Alagirez » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Sednaiur wrote:My little take on the level "White Savage Zone":
Originally this level was supposed to be done around 4 months ago. Loos like I slightly missed that date. xD

Also, the Ptooies in this level work exactly like in the original SMB3. The ones in the pipes at least. :-P
Wow it looks Pawsome! :O
*sees the ice cave screenshot*
Did you use checkpoint from your project?

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:40 pm

WerewolfGD wrote:
Sednaiur wrote:My little take on the level "White Savage Zone":

Wow it looks Pawsome! :O
That specific graphic looks the same, but upon zooming it, it just looks like it uses the same colors. I have not checked the color count on his episode's checkpoints, but this looks like a recolor.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:03 pm

WerewolfGD wrote:Wow it looks Pawsome! :O
Thank you :-3
The checkpoint is just a kind of SMB3-reshaded version of the SMW-one. My check point from my project is very different from this one.
MECHDRAGON777 wrote: That specific graphic looks the same, but upon zooming it, it just looks like it uses the same colors. I have not checked the color count on his episode's checkpoints, but this looks like a recolor.
The checkpoint from my episode is of a different kind than this. My checkpoint is a blue sphere containing a "c" that hovers static at a place and triggers an event uopn it's death (so its not like in my community contest-level). I use a custom version of the SMW goal gate in one of my levels, though. :-)

MarioKirby101
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby MarioKirby101 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Hey, a new screenshot! Looks awesome, Sedinaur! One question though. Why is there a lava world for that?

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:52 pm

I think the vanilla midpoint would look much nicer.

AToMIC
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: I'm here
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby AToMIC » Mon May 08, 2017 12:57 am

I am just curious, but is there any idea on when this episode is gonna be finished? I remember this project being worked on some few years ago. Judging by the screenshots provided, it looks like a really neat episode and I am looking foward to playing it.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Mon May 08, 2017 7:28 pm

MarioKirby101 wrote:Hey, a new screenshot! Looks awesome, Sedinaur! One question though. Why is there a lava world for that?
What do you mean by "Why is there a lava world for that"? If you mean the two lower screenshots, they are showing the darkside of the level, which is to be interpreted like the dark world in "Zelda: A Link to the Past".
It is a mechanic that The Ivasion 3 uses for every level. It is a harder version of the normal level, rewarding the player with a star upon completing it.
The designer get to choose how to differ the feel of the darkside, so I choose a red color for the overworld and a thawed version of the otherwise frozen cave. But fire or lava is not to be found in that level.
Enjl wrote:I think the vanilla midpoint would look much nicer.
How comes that?
Sarge wrote:I am just curious, but is there any idea on when this episode is gonna be finished? I remember this project being worked on some few years ago. Judging by the screenshots provided, it looks like a really neat episode and I am looking foward to playing it.
I dont got any idea about that, unfortunately. To be honest, so far I am the only somewhat active designer around here for this project. All the other level designers are inactive on this project. The last level that got esigned by someone else then me, is made by Pixelpest, and that was past year. -.-
Even Valtteri has not answered to my next level claim, which I did almost a month ago, which is unusual. And I cannot work onto the next level before my claim gets approved.
So expect it to take an eon of time for now. :-/

AToMIC
Hoopster
Hoopster
Flair: I'm here
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby AToMIC » Mon May 08, 2017 7:45 pm

You're working on this and Lowser's Conquest at the same time? Props man. I mean if you ever need help with level designing hit me up with a message.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Mon May 08, 2017 7:49 pm

Sarge wrote:You're working on this and Lowser's Conquest at the same time? Props man. I mean if you ever need help with level designing hit me up with a message.
Yes, because of this, I may take my fair share of time to finish a level for this project, but I always take it serious. I may be slow, but laziness is no selectable option on my list of excuses, so I choose this myself. :-)
Also, thank you for the nice offer (I think I still remember you from 2013, where you also made that offer) but I like and need to lift this weight by myself. ^^

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Mon May 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Sednaiur wrote:
How comes that?
I find it hard to pin down but something about the way it is shaded bugs me about it. I think it needs to be shaded more like a cylinder, like the original smw one is. This one, especially against the ground, looks rather flat and due to its excessive amount of colours it doesn't look good against the SMB3 environment.
Here's a change I propose to accentuate the round shape of the pole. If you're worried about any potential backlash from people misunderstanding the term "clash" from using the SMW one, this one can work.

Also I didn't mention this before but it makes absolutely zero sense for the pole to go through the foreground. It looks lopsided and implies the world is literally has a steep drop at that edge where the pole goes down.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Tue May 09, 2017 10:18 am

Enjl wrote:
Sednaiur wrote:
How comes that?
I find it hard to pin down but something about the way it is shaded bugs me about it. I think it needs to be shaded more like a cylinder, like the original smw one is. This one, especially against the ground, looks rather flat and due to its excessive amount of colours it doesn't look good against the SMB3 environment.
Here's a change I propose to accentuate the round shape of the pole. If you're worried about any potential backlash from people misunderstanding the term "clash" from using the SMW one, this one can work.

Also I didn't mention this before but it makes absolutely zero sense for the pole to go through the foreground. It looks lopsided and implies the world is literally has a steep drop at that edge where the pole goes down.
You are really serious about your critism, aren't you? xD

I am grateful for critism, if it has a reasonable point. And opinions including reasons for their alignment are also always nice to hear, hence my question towards you. It may help me to improve, if necessary. I took your opinion, as stated in your previous post, as granted.
But I think you need to calm down now. ^^
I can agree on its shading, but do you have any idea why I left it the way it is visible on the screen?

And please do not get me started on any physical and elemental logic in a Mario-game, okay? Because it gets a bit rediculous now. :-P

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue May 09, 2017 10:34 am

I actually kinda agree with Enjl, it looks really flat and weird, and I like the cylinder one Enjl made much better.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Tue May 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Sednaiur wrote:
Enjl wrote:
Sednaiur wrote: How comes that?

You are really serious about your critism, aren't you? xD

I am grateful for critism, if it has a reasonable point. And opinions including reasons for their alignment are also always nice to hear, hence my question towards you. It may help me to improve, if necessary. I took your opinion, as stated in your previous post, as granted.
But I think you need to calm down now. ^^
I can agree on its shading, but do you have any idea why I left it the way it is visible on the screen?

And please do not get me started on any physical and elemental logic in a Mario-game, okay? Because it gets a bit rediculous now. :-P
Usually when someone says "do you have any idea why I left it the way it is visible on the screen?" I'd expect an actual explanation for it. That'd make the choices you make more understandable.

Enjl also appears to be really calm, so I have no clue what you're talking about.

Also, although Mario's physics are obviously not the same as the ones in the real world, there is an internal logic to 99% of things in Mario games, and the way the pole is positioned kinda breaks the perspective of it.

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Tue May 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Spinda wrote:Usually when someone says "do you have any idea why I left it the way it is visible on the screen?" I'd expect an actual explanation for it. That'd make the choices you make more understandable.

Enjl also appears to be really calm, so I have no clue what you're talking about.

Also, although Mario's physics are obviously not the same as the ones in the real world, there is an internal logic to 99% of things in Mario games, and the way the pole is positioned kinda breaks the perspective of it.
I am done with any conversation regarding this. Sorry if I caused trouble or confusion, as this was not my intention. I stated my opinion about everything in this thread and the screenshot-thread and that is all about it. ^^

MarioKirby101
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby MarioKirby101 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Sednaiur wrote:
MarioKirby101 wrote:Hey, a new screenshot! Looks awesome, Sedinaur! One question though. Why is there a lava world for that?
What do you mean by "Why is there a lava world for that"? If you mean the two lower screenshots, they are showing the darkside of the level, which is to be interpreted like the dark world in "Zelda: A Link to the Past".
It is a mechanic that The Ivasion 3 uses for every level. It is a harder version of the normal level, rewarding the player with a star upon completing it.
The designer get to choose how to differ the feel of the darkside, so I choose a red color for the overworld and a thawed version of the otherwise frozen cave. But fire or lava is not to be found in that level.
Well, I was thinking the Lava World being in what was it, Frosty Frost Frostlands, something like that? Anyways, that makes sense. I already knew about the "Darkside" part of levels, but I didn't know they all had one... regardless, it should be a challenge for anyone to beat. One question though: is there anything extra to be gained out of the Dark forms of levels? I don't know why it would be implemented otherwise outside of a challenge.

TDK
Foo
Foo
Flair: Retired

Postby TDK » Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 am

Valtteri wrote:The Invasion 3 returns as a level designer project! Red Yoshi and I will be leading it. You may remember that this was a SMBX beta tester project that got cancelled due to Redigit having to quit developing SMBX years back. Its revival has been attempted a couple of times. NameUser turned it into a community project of sorts with a level submission system. The leader changed a few times and the development reached the third world before the project died. Red Yoshi (who was a significant part of the original project and created the world map for one thing) and I have started cooperating on getting this project back on track. We'll be returning the project to its original state implementing the Challenge Mode/Shadow Star concept from the original plan; each level has a Challenge Mode (Shadow Realm) which will reward the player with a star.

We'll be doing this in the same fashion we made The New Great Castle Adventure; we won't be accepting submissions. We have a set list of levels and their concepts that are going to be in the project. If you're a really good level designer, contact me and I'll be more than happy to add you to the designers team! Please share what you think of this! We'll take suggestions!
R.I.P. Invasion 3.
Last edited by TDK on Tue May 23, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Archives”