CC9 5th Place - PGE Moonbase Inc.

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

CC9 5th Place - PGE Moonbase Inc.

Postby Marina » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:43 am

So yeah... I got in 5th place... oops.

This level took a lot of inspiration from games like Portal, Mega Man, Metroid, the Escape Minecraft server and Lock The Thread Tonight by KTB.

I fixed up the stuff mentioned in the reviews and implemented arrows that point where the player has to go to progress.

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Ratings:
Spoiler: show
Bomber57 (8.25/10)

This level was really good. The barren moon surface felt really atmospheric, and I really loved how the story of the facility unraveled as you continued exploring. The level felt rather fair, but at one point I didn't realize that you had to go back to the biodome and go right to continue. Some of the enemies had poor placement in the icebox area. When I got to the final room the map graphic really gave the player the feeling that they are in a large facility, and you can easily recognize each room you have been through. The boss was alright, but a little unfair. In the first phase the player has to wait forever for the block to spawn, which can be a problem when the Green Holoboos (which take 3 hits) pile up. The second phase was odd. Once the first phase ended I wasn't sure if I should have jumped in the pit or not. Some arrows would have helped. The second phase of the boss was also difficult. It was hard to tell where the hitbox was for the graphic, and made it tough to maneuver around it. Besides these issues the level was quite good.

Chad (8.2/10)

Wow, this level is amazing-looking! The high-tech computerized graphics are incredibly cool and the layout of the level matches gorgeously. I really like the super elaborate and complex design of the level, it really makes the place feel like a big and complete cyber fortress with a whole bunch of different themes. Unfortunately though, there were a few things that disappointed me. For one thing, enemy placement generally felt poor in some areas, like the basement and frozen storage area. There are frequently two or more enemies occupying a similar space in ways I couldn't reasonably avoid. The combined placements just didn't work at times, and part of the room would be too narrow for that. Outside these areas, the enemy placement is good and reasonably tricky, but it was a bit much in the aforementioned places. There's also no telling where to go next after you attempt to release the power source, leaving the player to essentially wander the entire level over again until discovering by sheer accident that part of the Biodome was unlocked. Then, there's the boss. The idea behind it is awesome, it's essentially a GLaDOS-type character that watches your every move and communicates with you throughout the level. The fights, however, aren't so good. The hitbox on the first phase is enormous, and you can't be sure if jumping in the required hole afterwards will result in death. The second phase is just standing by a tediously infrequent generator that's going to break the block against the Spark that you have no room to avoid. If you do succeed at beating the boss, it's still really time-consuming and repetitive. Unless you just hold it next to the boss, then the battle is pointlessly brief. No in-between. The cannons also kept throwing me off as scenery, and the coins and platform lines blend in with the white background. Overall, this level is graphically and structurally astounding! But it really does not handle some of its hazards well, and that brings it down somewhat.

Quill (9/10)

Wow, great level! I loved the whole lore in addition to the overall design. It was very creative and I loved the logs too. They all added to the atmosphere a lot. The boss was pretty awesome, but it seemed to glitch out and it wasn't clear you had to follow him down. He's also really easy if you have an Ice Flower. Overall though, awesome job!

TNTtimelord (9.7/10)

This is one hell of a level, and it's even required to explore the level, going back and forth to find the crazy security system. It's not nearly as massive as Flagship was but it's more "free to go anywhere" and you don't see that too often in a level, especially of one of this quality. Every single area looked a LOT like a legitimate lab, too, and the biodome was a very nice touch. The boss was also fantastic, but I really didn't like how there was no signal to go down the hole after the blocks break.

zlakerboy357 (7.75/10)

Great level ya got there! Reminds alot of Sednaiur's CC8 entry Operation Star Snatcher. The level had alot of decoration however the YI Rock BGOs wasn't really a good choice. And I recommend use darker GFXs inside the moonbase. The level had good design and I enjoyed the cool gameplay elements ya added such as the Rinkar generater that follows ya. I really don't like having Giant Coins as a Dragon Coin though and having *BZZT* when you hit the explaination blocks. The boss was kinda cool, while the second part is pretty hard since the whole spider is covering the whole fence and it's not easy to get to the other side to attack the spider. And the misslie launchers didn't look like launchers. They looked like capules to me :/
Playthrough:

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLOv7IsvDLA

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/g0rhwvjbyvlyibo
Last edited by Marina on Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Re: CC9 5th Place - PGE Moonbase Inc.

Postby zlaker » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:57 am

Got a two 9s so moved to The Best.

Veudekato

Postby Veudekato » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:52 am

Just interests why in name you said PGE?

level design looks very unteresting. I like graphics and level theme

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Postby Marina » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:14 am

We named our levels PGE because they were all made with PGE and to promote PGE :P Remember the "Steins;" levels from last contest? It's basically like that lol

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:21 am

And all of the PGE levels has 3 PGE references that are hidden :/

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:23 am

This level looks cool!
Let's see if it PLAYS cool too...
*downloads*
yup, great job, definitely deserved its place!

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Playthrough made of this level and it's right here:

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLOv7IsvDLA

ShadowLabrys101
Bit
Bit

Postby ShadowLabrys101 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:45 pm

The level it's so awesome! It's a good thing I downloaded it.

PopYoshi
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny

Postby PopYoshi » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:09 pm

This level is impressive, it looks very clean and error-free (at least I did not find a bug when I played)

Return to “The Best”