Level Contest 9: First Place

Official community level contests.
zioy
Birdo
Birdo
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Level Contest 9: The 8th tier is HERE! WHO WILL WIN?

Postby zioy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:32 am

Darkonius Mavakar wrote:Oh god it's me vs shinbison.

OKAY SHINBISON WON I HAVE NO CHANCES TO WIN AGINST HIM.
Based off of this Darkonius is gonna win

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:33 am

Darkonius Mavakar wrote:I HAVE NO CHANCES TO WIN AGINST HIM.
Yeah you're gonna win

But seriously, both would deserve to win. I'm rooting for both

(inb4 tie)

JupiHornet
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:53 pm

Almost the end of the contest!
Now we just have to wait impatiently for ToB8 :D

GameClip477
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby GameClip477 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:29 pm

HOLY MACARONI CHEESE!!! I reached in 12th and this is my second time doing a level contest. I'm so happy how this was a huge improvement since the last level contest. I remember that my level received a 6.735/10 with many flaws into it. One was I made the boss real easy by using the bullet cannon. Second was some of my custom sprites were 1 pixel which made the level environment different. I'm very impress where I'm placed at even though I'm not in the top ten 10. But still now, it seems like my main weakness is making custom bosses but, I'll try to improve on that. I'm also glad with the scores gotten and especially how my level is monochrome, exploration, and puzzle theme. Good luck to the rest of ya or should I now say, the top 2.
TNTtimelord -- One more thing: Max looks a lot better now! ;)
Glad you noticed and like it! :D I read your last review from the last level contest and that made me wanted to revamp him.

Yugioer

Postby Yugioer » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:36 pm

These reviews make me want to try the levels for myself! Any chance we will get download links for the levels even before the release of the Tower episode? Also, good luck to the finalists :D

Magna
Banned

Postby Magna » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Yugioer wrote:These reviews make me want to try the levels for myself! Any chance we will get download links for the levels even before the release of the Tower episode? Also, good luck to the finalists :D
No, but the creators of the levels may choose whether to release the levels publicly or not.

Blck_Guy

Postby Blck_Guy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:57 pm

61. Bj007pro - Deep Dark Forest - 3.48/10
Bomber57 (1.5/10)
I think this level is actually incompletable. I searched everywhere for the second switch block, but it was nowhere to be found. Besides that, the level is incredibly hard and even has an impassable pit. There are some obscure spots where you can go through pipes, and you can climb some vines and can't climb others (they all look the same). In many locations where you have to use bombs the bombs don't respawn, so it may lead to the player becoming stuck. There is a section with a ton of bullet bill launchers that is also absurdly hard.
Chad (2.4/10)
Honestly, this level was just highly unenjoyable. It did numerous fundamental things in wrong or irritating ways that just made it a pain to play. I see you went out of your way to have elaborate design, but it's impossible to appreciate that when the gameplay is just unfair in nearly every way. Like, don't have surprise shell-kickers everywhere that kick the instant you see them so you can't react, while the shell trajectories are impossible to anticipate, with venus traps on top of that. Don't require things to be destroyed with bombs unless you put them on a generator. You did that near the end, but there's a wall at the start that you're only given one bomb to blow it up with. Miss, and that's it, you have to kill yourself. Don't put nearly all of the powerups in invisible blocks where players have no reason to jump to, or have invisible blocks in pointless areas that could actually result in damage. Don't have one vine be climbable while the rest aren't, but they all look the same and the player is never told. Don't have nonsolid pipes that are identical to the solid ones with, again, no indication. Don't put warps on venus trap pipes, because that risks a run-time error. Don't have bullet-bouncing mechanics that make you fail unless you do it absolutely perfectly, and even then you're going to take multiple hits trying. Don't make your passageways severely narrow to the point where you almost can't move. Most importantly, don't have warps that go all the way back to start which require you to do pretty much all of the items listed above, all over again, repeatedly. Some of the above things only lead back to start anyways. Nothing about this level is reasonable, explained, fair, or designed with other players in mind. I'm sorry, but many of the ideas in this level need serious work.
Quill (4/10)
This is a... really strange level. I'm really unsure how to describe it. There's all sorts of weird stuff going on. Taking one path just loops you to the beginning which was super annoying and I've managed to run time error myself three times since each warp seemed to have a piranha plant right on it. That's just no fun.
TNTtimelord (4/10)
I'm really digging that Space Junk Galaxy remix. Everything else... definitely not. You've got me going all over the place, avoiding shells and various other enemy spam in tight little spaces, bombing areas in those tight little spaces, and the list goes on. You may have been mildly forgiving when it came to coins and question blocks, but the general quality of the level was really dragged down by all the very irritating obstacles and deaths I'd endure. Also, but I got some infinite amount of lives when I got the star at the end as you seemed to have put a ton of Venus Fire Traps over each other on the ending pipe. I'm not 100% sure how you managed to do that.
zlakerboy357 (5.5/10)
Simple forest level. I really think you should some more BGOs since it has a lack of them. Same thing goes with Coins and enemies. There were pits that was too long and you didn't give the player enough space so the player could run and jump. The Eeries was out of place in my opinon and there were certain places that was too narrow for the player.

I obviously know this is mine because you (guys) think I'm him!

Anyway, Maybe I'll do I P of this to see it is very not not completable. - When the time comes!

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:32 pm

zlakerboy357 wrote:it would've added some replay valvue.
zlakerboy357 wrote:However I really find it broring since it didn't have any phases.
zlakerboy357 wrote:The only problem is that you do that you only do that throughout the whole considering that the level doesn't have any sidequests like hidden collectibles or hidden bonus rooms.
...what?

Darkonius Mavakar
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:38 am

I bet that Quill will ruin my final score like he did in the past contests.

so yeah shinbison already won imo.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:11 am

Darkonius Mavakar wrote:I bet that Quill will ruin my final score like he did in the past contests.

If you win this, then that's completely ironic as you asked if making SMBX levels is worth it and whether the community should stay alive just making levels if there's no point doing it.

Kyo
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Kyo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:24 pm

castlewars wrote:
Darkonius Mavakar wrote:I bet that Quill will ruin my final score like he did in the past contests.

If you win this, then that's completely ironic as you asked if making SMBX levels is worth it and whether the community should stay alive just making levels if there's no point doing it.
Even if he doesn't that would be ironic. The greatest, most admired level designers in this community have to go absolutely all-out to have a chance to reach the second place.

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Postby Marina » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:43 pm

Just today I had this maliciously genius idea that Valtteri maybe shouldn't reveal the final results and everyone would have to download and play ToB8 to find out :twisted:

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Re: Level Contest 9: First Place

Postby Valtteri » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:56 pm

All the results are finally here! Congratulations, Shinbison-Koff, the judges totally loved your level! Darkonius64 also! And thanks again to our excellent judges, you did a great job! And finally I would like to thank everyone who participated. Because of you this contest was able to become the second largest SMBX level contest yet, the biggest being Level Contest 7! The bother-Quill-about-Tower-of-Biased-8-constantly period begins now.

Final Two Final 2
Spoiler: show
2. Darkonius64 - Uprising Heights - 9.29/10
  • Bomber57 (9.25/10)
    • This was a splendid level. I think my favorite part was the boss, which was probably the best custom boss I have seen in this contest or probably in the majority of the whole community. It was simple yet very, very unique. The level itself was fun and managed to be both easy and a keep-you-on-your-toes type level. It looked nice and played nice.
    Chad (9.6/10)
    • Awesome level! The design is interestingly expansive, and built with excellent landform placements that are really fun to traverse. Enemies are similarly great, being simply manageable to get through but they're all nice obstacles for where they are. The atmosphere of the level is intense for a sky, providing a lot of detail and quality at every step. Placements of tricky enemies like cannons and Hammer Bros. are quite strategic, and the Lotus storm clouds are extremely clever! What impressed me most, however, was that platform gimmick. That's extremely original and you pulled it off incredibly! It's the perfect mix of making the player rush while requiring some precise caution, and it's really wise of you to introduce it right at the checkpoint and warn the player that the platforms are in fact finite. The boss has some interesting attacks that give the player ample room to prepare, while also explaining the mechanics of the fight nicely. The only things that really bugged me about the level are that when the boss fires the giant beam along the ground, it's just about impossible to get over. If it's doable, it requires a perfect jump that I couldn't manage to perform. If the hitbox of the blast didn't include the back part, or if the projectile itself was one tile lower, it'd be a lot better. I also felt that the lightning was a bit hard to see at times, and probably deserves an outline of some kind. Other than that though, I was thoroughly impressed with this level and those issues weren't major enough to hurt the experience much. Nice work.
    Quill (9/10)
    • Awesome level! I loved the atmosphere, the variety in the terrain as well as the overall design. The thunderclouds were a simple but really effective idea and I loved the second half where you had to be extra careful with the platforms. That was a really unique idea especially when you had to eventually go backwards towards the end. I can see why there is only a certain amount of platforms, but this could easily be extended but a lot and the warning can be removed. This will allow the player to hit blocks and take their time and not fear running out of time which is an easy fix. Amazing job with that section overallt hough. The boss was brilliant too. It had a variety of attacks that weren't easy to avoid but weren't too hard either. You nailed the difficulty right here. When he disappears, you seem to have no smoke ticked, which doesn't look too good in my opinion.
    TNTtimelord (9.8/10)
    • Wow, this is a very nice and rough, half-stormy grass/cloudy level. It All the scenery was very polished and mostly everything fit together very well. All the NPCs fit just right, although I would have preferred to see more sky-based NPCs over just regular ones like what you used. I also felt the clouds seemed a little square to be clouds, so I'd suggest puffing or rounding them out a little bit to look more natural. The little storm clouds were a very nice touch and they also proved to be a good challenge. In the last section before the boss, I'm honestly surprised at how long it must have taken to place all those platforms down to keep from running out.
      Speaking of the boss, you are definitely PRO at making bosses. The events done on this boss are absolutely fantastic and the weak spot pointed out helped make it a fair fight. Very nice job on this boss and this level!
    zlakerboy357 (8.8/10)
    • Decent level there. The level had a good amount of BGOs and the tileset was mixed well together. The Coin placement is a bad though as I really don't like having Coins on the ground. The NPC placemet was pretty good and the thundercloud that shoots out thunderbolt was neat as well. I loved the parallax cloud background. The complaint I got is the boss since it was extremely slow paced. Otherwise good job.
1. Shinbison-Kof - Tribal Moonlight Transition - 9.57/10
  • Bomber57 (9.75/10)
    • Wow. This level was just amazing. The various tilesets mixed well and had calm colors pleasing to the eye. I was impressed by the gimmicks of the three question block colors, even though the vegetable blocks were essentially useless. I loved the theme of the water and poison switching, and the purple ground and other environmental features being harmful. The level was beautiful, and the gimmicks and gameplay worked out almost flawlessly. Impressive work!
    Chad (10/10)
    • This level is absolutely stunning! There are so many different gimmicks in this one, and they all have brilliant execution. The timed poison is splendidly indicated and gives the player a great amount of time to work with, the poisoned grass that you can erase with a switch is an interesting little visual, and I like how parts of the level will change as you get near them. They make the level feel alive with parts that automatically transform a little bit. The tree sections are expertly made, too. The switches are cleverly used to make room for the vine, revealing a door by clearing away poisonous water is neat, and the springboard generator is a pretty unique application. I especially enjoyed the downward propeller section, as it is very carefully built. The Munchers are placed in a fairly difficult fashion, but every move the player needs to make is very clearly indicated with coin trails while still requiring the skills to pull it off. There's a unique variety of switches, and on top of everything else, the level is brimming with detail and complex design. Everything felt good about it, both playing and looking at it, and the level offers a complete experience that isn't lacking in any regard that I can see. Nothing felt unfair or excessive. Well done!
    Quill (8.5/10)
    • Dude, this is an amazing level. There is so much creativity here. The atmosphere is nailed perfectly and I loved how the overworld and caverns below are linked in one section, that's a really neat idea. The gimmick with the poison has been used before, but it's still used effectively for the most part here. I didn't like how going close to the poison would sometimes make it turn into normal water. The reason behind this is that in the first section, I went down a pipe and found a path covered by poison and assumed I had to do something else to remove the poison. I spent a good amount of time searching for a way until I went back and saw that going close to the poison opened the path. That was a little annoying. Overall though, great job!
    TNTtimelord (10/10)
    • Damn, whoever made this level knows how to make a level.
      This level looked absolutely gorgeous. The scenery, the tileset, the NPCs blended together flawlessly. The gimmicks and the flashy events were all flawlessly done. The two tilesets blended together VERY well and all the tileset mixing shows you know how to deal with graphics as well. Coins, items, all done perfectly as well! I would say though, the purple water that would turn blue only if you jumped into it was a rather cheap move, but that was made up very well with the section introducing it back and forth. I really wish the temple also would have been continued, but I have no problem seeing what I did, because that still looked amazing.
      Overall, I was astounded at this level.
    zlakerboy357 (9.6/10)
    • What an amazing level! The poison and water gimmick in this level is cool and novel! I loved how you did other stuff as well such as the SMW Blocks and the tileset itself. The level looked magical as well due of how amazing the tileset, BGOs and the BG was. Most of the GFXs was darken except for the fireballs which I really feel it should've been. The level's start is a bit messy to be honest since I was a bit confused what path I was suppose to go, otherwise I loved the level. Great job!
      Guess: Sux

Quill
Rydia
Rydia

Postby Quill » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Funny you say that, considering I was the only judge to give you a higher score than Shinbison's level :P

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:00 pm

True Darkonius, you said you won't win, and you didn't. But still, congratulations for reaching Top 2! And congrats Shinbison-kof for reaching 1st place!

Mable
Ludwig
Ludwig

Postby Mable » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:02 pm

Blck_Guy wrote: I obviously know this is mine because you (guys) think I'm him!
Do you realize Elsa banned you for lying+insulting? Do you wanna get it again

Kyo
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby Kyo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:03 pm

Wow, shinbison's level has the highest score in the ToB history so far. Congratz! Really looking forward to ToB8.

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:05 pm

OK, so the results finally came out, we can now stop speculating at who won the contest and just rejoice in the glory that Shinbison-Kof won. However, DK64 did brilliantly as well, so props go to him as well as our winner, Shinbison-Kof!

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Postby Valentine » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:48 pm

dang it i was hoping that darkonius would win

Warlock
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: bep
Pronouns: they/them

Postby Warlock » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:03 pm

Congratulations, Shinbizon-Kof! Well done! I look forward to seeing your level in TOB8.

Return to “Level Contests”