Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted
Flair: Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Level Contest 9: Check out tier 7!

Postby Darkonius Mavakar » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:12 pm

GMarinaX wrote:
Kyo wrote:
GLD4 wrote:I will gonna eat zlakerboy357 if GMarinaX's level wins the contest.
Why does everyone want to eat zlaker? Is he THAT tasty?
Have you tried him? I have ;)
let's not get into the most obscure and creepy part of the internet if you know what i mean plz

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Postby Marina » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:13 pm

Oh ok.

(by the way he tastes like jellybeans)

Radishl

Postby Radishl » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:11 pm

Page 33, just like my rank in the contest :p

Also with spring board, It wasn't such a long walk back to get it again anyways imo.

Dragonmaster146
Spike
Spike

Postby Dragonmaster146 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Of course mine don't get a high rank just because it has difficulty spikes. :(

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:30 am

why do wanna eat me :(

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!

Postby Waddle » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:59 am

zlakerboy357 wrote:why do wanna eat me :(
Apparantly you taste like jellybeans.
That sounds like something i'd eat.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:02 am

Please get back on Topic!

Also, I am really looking forward to the further results and reviews. So far it looks nice but I seriously do not really like the whole joke Levels deal. Wish the next Contest doesn't support joke Levels at all because alone in the Forums aren't allowed to have.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: hi!!!

Postby Waddle » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:27 am

bossedit8 wrote:Please get back on Topic!
Sorry.
Also, I am really looking forward to the further results and reviews. So far it looks nice but I seriously do not really like the whole joke Levels deal. Wish the next Contest doesn't support joke Levels at all because alone in the Forums aren't allowed to have.
I Agree. Is there a purpose to them anyways? Although I do appreciate joke levels if some work an thought went into them, like that joke level quill did in cc6.
Also, should I release my level? I was going to but I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in it...

CreatorForce
Eerie
Eerie

Postby CreatorForce » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:55 am

bossedit8 wrote: Also, I am really looking forward to the further results and reviews. So far it looks nice but I seriously do not really like the whole joke Levels deal. Wish the next Contest doesn't support joke Levels at all because alone in the Forums aren't allowed to have.
I agree with you, I really hate joke levels.

Willhart
Banned

Postby Willhart » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:13 am

I think Christmas and winter are perfect time to make joke levels. There is a lot of material to choose from, if you are creative.
I'm really looking forward to the results today.

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Re: Level Contest 9: The 8th tier is HERE! WHO WILL WIN?

Postby RudeGuy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:11 am

Wait what why there are so many names with PGE?

Also I know that the top 2 is:
-Darkonius;
-Shinbison-Kof.

Wow, that's gonna be exciting. I didn't ever seen these 2 in top 2.

Radishl

Postby Radishl » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:18 am

I can tell Shinbison-Kof won.

He's a spectacular level designer, underrated one too.

zioy
Birdo
Birdo
Pronouns: he/him

Postby zioy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:18 am

Hey, Darkonius didn't make 7th!

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:24 am

For those who didn't notice yet, I've updated the first post with the second last dose of results! I'll be revealing the winner and the runner up tomorrow! The two last contestants are Darkonius Mavakar and Shinbison-Kof.

Tier 8 Places 3-10
Spoiler: show
10. h2643 - PGE Woody Forest - 8.19/10
  • Bomber57 (8.75/10)
    • What an enjoyable level. The graphics had a cartoony theme and looked real good. The level design was also really great, but I got lost real easy. A lot of the jumps were also pretty distant, and you had to jump just the right way to make it. I also wasn't happy that getting to the puzzle area for the secret star required a couple blind drops to find the pipe tucked away somewhere. The puzzle itself was done pretty well, except for the fact that the log under the house didn't seem like you could lift it. The bosses of this level were fine. Pretty nice level overall.
    Chad (7.3/10)
    • Pretty good stuff. The atmosphere is gorgeous, and I like how the level goes from simple linear platforming to an open swamp that you explore from top to bottom. There's definitely some interesting challenge in each part, although I didn't care for the projectile bone fish or falling moles in upward platforming areas. Both are extremely sudden surprise enemies, especially on the branch raft where one flies up at you the second you land on it, or when one launches into you as you're performing a long jump. Surviving on the raft basically requires constant spin-jumping as you wait for it to reach its destination. Springboarding to the distant island is also a considerable leap of faith, and the note block that follows will force you to die if the Paratroopa there's dead. The secret star is pretty cleverly devised, though. The puzzle there is quite tricky to figure out, and it feels rewarding when you finally do. However, the grabbable block really threw me off. It just looks like an ordinary block, so I looked everywhere for a switch until I finally just grabbed it in the editor to see what it even was. Having the P-switch generate would be helpful, too. Also, the jumps involved with reaching the general area really have to be perfect, and that's a bit too demanding. The bosses are excellent, though. Moderately difficult, but within reason and not too long. The shortcut back to the main boss from the cave is nice, too. Overall though, this is a good level, just with some inconveniences here and there with enemy placements and jumps, as well as that unindicated block leading to the second star.
    Quill (7.5/10)
    • Nice level. There's quite a nice and cheerful atmosphere in this level. I liked how you advanced up and unlocked new areas of the tree, though falling down is very costly to the player since you lose a ton of progress especially if you do not have the checkpoint. The boss is kinda meh and not that interesting. I don't think the boss fits the level either. I liked the alternate paths you offered through the level. There were some nice secrets to find too. Overall, good job.
    TNTtimelord (8.9/10)
    • Very nice job on keeping a happy forest kind of atmosphere in here. I especially love the SMW redrawn graphics as they fit very well in the style. Coins and items are plentiful in the level, which is good because I lost them and needed to replenish quite a bit. The inside tree sections were a very smart addition and they also were great! Towards the end, it felt pretty obvious you were running out of time and rushed it, however.
    zlakerboy357 (8.5/10)
    • Cool level. This level took alot of inspiartion from TSRPR2 and the atmosphere was pertty great as the level had alot of BGOs and a great musical choice. I've seen the idea of Poison Water before insta-killing the player, HOWEVER you were able to make it hurt the player. The design was pretty fun and the gameplay was pretty neat. Coin Placement was pretty good, but the boss was tediously made. I really found it easy and boring. Overall great job!
9. Blueoak - Cyber Maze - 8.32/10
  • Bomber57 (7.5/10)
    • I really enjoyed this level. The idea of switching between the lava and water sections to progress was pretty neat. My favorite part was probably the memory leak after the checkpoint. Some parts of that last segment were a little unfair, such as the swimming podoboos and no clear definition of where the water started and ended. Also, the Jelectro hallway to get the switch is unfair because it basically requires the player to be small mario, and is even then unfairly difficult. A pretty good level overall.
    Chad (8.7/10)
    • This is a theme I wasn't expecting to see return. The level is designed in a moderately tricky fashion which makes for some fun obstacles, but I was more impressed by the rooms that alternate between water and lava. That's fairly creative, and I like how each room changed pathways along with the theme but remained structurally the same. You pull this off with several different gimmicks, such as swimming around Jelectros and Podoboo-hopping, as well as toggling switches and generators. The second half was pretty cool as well, the visuals and gimmicks were all mixed around in ways that would be really unfitting and weird under any other circumstances, but it makes sense for essentially being inside a malfunctioning computer. The atmosphere backs up this logic, so the whole thing just works well. However, the double music start for that half of the level is unnecessary (even with that logic) and the swimming Podoboos kept bumping into each other and surfaces which made them impossible to pass without taking a hit. But other than that, I enjoyed this.
    Quill (7.5/10)
    • That was actually really creative. The lava <-> water gimmick has been overused to death, but having it activate by going through doors was oddly clever. I liked how they overlapped each other in the ending sequence and you went through past areas but they were different yet still recognisable. The doors were kinda hard to understand as doors of the same colour could go to the opposite version of the room or to another room entirely, which made things a little confusing. Overall, good job.
    TNTtimelord (8.5/10)
    • Wow, very interesting water vs lava concept you have here, going on in a cyber space type of environment. Everything looks great and the atmosphere is very strong, playing on the fact you're going through a program that shifts back and forth between water and lava in the black medium, and when the glitch occurs, the water and lava sections ingeniously clash together creating a couple amazing gimmicks that would be frowned upon in normal circumstances. Coins and question blocks were somewhat scarce and it was rather hard to dodge jelectros as Big Mario, but it was nonetheless a very enjoyable level.
    zlakerboy357 (9.4/10)
    • Neat concept ya got there! The idea of letting colors to choose what kind of gimmicks for each section is awesome! The music is a great as it gives the player this cyber atmosphere or whatever call it lol. The level is designed pretty as most levels I've seen, however thanks to the gimmick you introduced to the level you made it really fun to play. I loved the chase in the level, though some parts of the level is a bit too narrow and the tileset you used in the first doesn't really look good with the BGOs and the BG. Otherwise great job!
8. GMarinaX - PGE Moonstone Inc. - 8.34/10
  • Bomber57 (8.25/10)
    • This level was really good. The barren moon surface felt really atmospheric, and I really loved how the story of the facility unraveled as you continued exploring. The level felt rather fair, but at one point I didn't realize that you had to go back to the biodome and go right to continue. Some of the enemies had poor placement in the icebox area. When I got to the final room the map graphic really gave the player the feeling that they are in a large facility, and you can easily recognize each room you have been through. The boss was alright, but a little unfair. In the first phase the player has to wait forever for the block to spawn, which can be a problem when the Green Holoboos (which take 3 hits) pile up. The second phase was odd. Once the first phase ended I wasn't sure if I should have jumped in the pit or not. Some arrows would have helped. The second phase of the boss was also difficult. It was hard to tell where the hitbox was for the graphic, and made it tough to maneuver around it. Besides these issues the level was quite good.
    Chad (8.2/10)
    • Wow, this level is amazing-looking! The high-tech computerized graphics are incredibly cool and the layout of the level matches gorgeously. I really like the super elaborate and complex design of the level, it really makes the place feel like a big and complete cyber fortress with a whole bunch of different themes. Unfortunately though, there were a few things that disappointed me. For one thing, enemy placement generally felt poor in some areas, like the basement and frozen storage area. There are frequently two or more enemies occupying a similar space in ways I couldn't reasonably avoid. The combined placements just didn't work at times, and part of the room would be too narrow for that. Outside these areas, the enemy placement is good and reasonably tricky, but it was a bit much in the aforementioned places. There's also no telling where to go next after you attempt to release the power source, leaving the player to essentially wander the entire level over again until discovering by sheer accident that part of the Biodome was unlocked. Then, there's the boss. The idea behind it is awesome, it's essentially a GLaDOS-type character that watches your every move and communicates with you throughout the level. The fights, however, aren't so good. The hitbox on the first phase is enormous, and you can't be sure if jumping in the required hole afterwards will result in death. The second phase is just standing by a tediously infrequent generator that's going to break the block against the Spark that you have no room to avoid. If you do succeed at beating the boss, it's still really time-consuming and repetitive. Unless you just hold it next to the boss, then the battle is pointlessly brief. No in-between. The cannons also kept throwing me off as scenery, and the coins and platform lines blend in with the white background. Overall, this level is graphically and structurally astounding! But it really does not handle some of its hazards well, and that brings it down somewhat.
    Quill (9/10)
    • Wow, great level! I loved the whole lore in addition to the overall design. It was very creative and I loved the logs too. They all added to the atmosphere a lot. The boss was pretty awesome, but it seemed to glitch out and it wasn't clear you had to follow him down. He's also really easy if you have an Ice Flower. Overall though, awesome job!
    TNTtimelord (9.7/10)
    • This is one hell of a level, and it's even required to explore the level, going back and forth to find the crazy security system. It's not nearly as massive as Flagship was but it's more "free to go anywhere" and you don't see that too often in a level, especially of one of this quality. Every single area looked a LOT like a legitimate lab, too, and the biodome was a very nice touch. The boss was also fantastic, but I really didn't like how there was no signal to go down the hole after the blocks break.
    zlakerboy357 (7.75/10)
    • Great level ya got there! Reminds alot of Sednaiur's CC8 entry Operation Star Snatcher. The level had alot of decoration however the YI Rock BGOs wasn't really a good choice. And I recommend use darker GFXs inside the moonbase. The level had good design and I enjoyed the cool gameplay elements ya added such as the Rinkar generater that follows ya. I really don't like having Giant Coins as a Dragon Coin though and having *BZZT* when you hit the explaination blocks. The boss was kinda cool, while the second part is pretty hard since the whole spider is covering the whole fence and it's not easy to get to the other side to attack the spider. And the misslie launchers didn't look like launchers. They looked like capules to me :/
7. TNTtimelord - Forested Flight - 8.35/10
  • Bomber57 (9.75/10)
    • Frozen music 10/10 contest winner. That aside, this was a simply astounding level. The two tilesets mix together beautifully and the way the level is designed really gives the player the feeling of climbing around at a very high elevation. The level is pretty vast and has a lot of exploration, but sadly it's downfall is that there is no reward for exploring besides dragon coins. With the size of the level, I'm sure you could have put in a 2nd star for collecting things around the level. Ah well, this level was very well done.
    Chad (7.5/10)
    • This is a pretty gorgeous level! I like the tileset mix and decoration, as well as the overall elaborate design and layout. There's a bunch of switches that do some cool things like turn into platforms or toggle clouds, there's some nicely hidden secrets, the bubble items are a nice touch, and the general gameplay is quite pleasant. However, what I think might have been an oversight on your part is that the initial cloud layer settings are the opposite of what you may have intended, because layers 2 and 4 are active at the start while 1 and 3 are not. This often made the switches feel unnecessary, appear not to do anything, complicate the route, create blind jumps/dead ends, and just create a general feeling of wandering because the general path no longer made sense. Upon post-gameplay inspection, checking the starting layers and imagining them reversed really put all the pieces together. After the checkpoint, it seems to work fine, but before that was needlessly confusing. Also, the Hammer Bro/Hoopster combination in upper Section 2 is nearly unavoidable, and for some reason the level has a lag spike right at the very end when it otherwise plays really smooth. The level's quite good, but has a little bit of weirdness here and there.
    Quill (7.5/10)
    • Nice level. I liked the gimmick with the switches turning into platforms, but they were often difficult to land on with Mario. I liked the alternate paths, but most of the time they would lead to a powerup which wasn't worth it since it took so long to get to it. It's easy to mistake an alternate path for the normal route too. Some of the other switches which activated some more platforms were kinda pointless as they showed a layer which was next to the switch anyway. Why not just have the platforms available from the start? Hitting a switch to reveal them adds nothing. The music is incredibly unfitting and ruins the atmosphere completely. That song does not fit at all. Change it.
    Valtteri (8/10)
    • Excellent music choice. Frozen/10. I love the way this level is constructed. It plays well and it looks nice. My only complaint would be that it's a bit repetitive. Sometimes I got the feeling I had been to the place before. But it wasn't half too bad!
    zlakerboy357 (9/10)
    • Great level! The music and the GFXs was all a great choice and I loved it! The design was really fun as well and it was non-linear as well. There were some gaps that was too big for the player in my opinion. The level also had some cool gameplay elements like the blocks that turns into platforms when you hit them. Overall great job!
6. SnifitGuy - Exciting Expedition - 8.38/10
  • Bomber57 (7.5/10)
    • *groans* Touhou music... Anyway I found this level to be really nice. The graphics and design looked well and the airship section was unique. There were tons of cool gimmicks such as the storm clouds and the electric pipes, but sadly the storm clouds didn't get much of a spotlight. I found the little underlying story to be pretty neat and the pirate ship was another cool area. What I didn't like was the boss fight. The boss is incredibly hard to avoid and you can actually cause it to DESPAWN when the lava switches directions and you have to go back, essentially resetting the fight.
    Chad (9.2/10)
    • Awesome level! The mountainous design is high quality in this one, it's pretty elaborate and really detailed. The mechanical aspects are great, like the flamethrowers and levitating platforms, and especially the energy pipes. Even if the energy is essentially just brighter waterfalls, I still think they look great and serve a unique purpose. The level tells an interesting story as it takes you aboard huge airships with lovely layouts and appearances. I found it neat that the story explores the idea that yes, Bowser and his troops probably have a life outside of beating Mario and kidnapping Peach. The gameplay within the ships is just as good as the outside, with a moderate amount of exploration and switch-finding, along with being chased by a spike wall and some timing-based maneuvers. The idea behind the boss is especially impressive. The lava forces you to go back and forth across the room while being chased by a giant Podoboo. The way the fight is devised is quite clever and unique! There's a lot of potential for it being a thrilling yet balanced fight. However, I think it should have been tested a bit more. It's not terrible as it is, but it does have some issues. The boss despawns pretty easily, and sometimes you just can't get over or under it without taking damage. That second one's hard to avoid as it's mainly circumstantial, but you could provide a few leaves before the battle (and maybe slightly generated during, as they don't have the lava issue), as you almost need that to get over the boss sometimes. But other than that, great boss, excellent level. Also, it's worth noting that you don't have to hit the self-destruct switch, just take the pipe. It doesn't break anything, but it's a little silly!
    Quill (8/10)
    • Interesting level! I liked the battle between the airships. That was pretty cool. Giving you a small thank you for not making me fight a generic SMB3 Bowser. Thanks! The level design was fairly good, it has some nice highlights but it wasn't too special. I liked the boss though, but I think it would have been better if the lava didn't go back as it would take ages for you to get back to the bombs. I barely managed to beat the boss with my last bomb. Would have been annoying if I had to survive for a good minute before I got my projectiles back.
    TNTtimelord (9/10)
    • I cannot believe you used Star Wars music and made it fit hilariously well! This level was so much fun and it looked fantastic for the most part. The dark cloud, flamethrower, and electric pipes were fantastic gimmicks and all fit pretty well into the level's theme. The boss, airship parts also fit very well and made the level live up to its name. Coins and power-ups were aplenty and the different NPCs used for the different circumstances were also fantastic. Now you think that since I raved about everything else that there's no problem, right? WRONG! There were a select few very irritating jumps and the ending massive podoboo fight had WAY too little space for it to be fair considering there's the podoboo replacing mother brain set attached to a chasing koopa, and that was a complete nightmare to fight.
    zlakerboy357 (8.2/10)
    • The level was greatly made. It had a good amnout of BGOs and the music was pretty cool, though some cloud BGOs would be cool. The NPC placement was pretty well, however some arts of the level had a lack of Coins and some had a million of them. Another thing is that I really don't like having bushes inside caves like you did in the boss area. Both of the backgrounds there wa unfitting, but I really enjoyed the boss.
5. Bomber57 - Cursed Crater - 8.42/10
  • Chad (9.4/10)
    • Wow, this level is amazing! I'm really liking the haunted hell volcano theme you've got here. It's a unique hybrid of Mario themes, and I can't imagine better graphics and music to set the mood. The bones and enemies are really neat, and the decorative flames are great for the atmosphere of the level. The design is gorgeous as well, with plenty of variation in the landscapes and the offering of tricky enemy maneuvering. This is one of those levels where it's hard, but the placement of everything is just so carefully thought out that it really turns out fun. However, the level can really mess with the framerate at times, especially around the darkness area. I also don't care for forcing the player to be small during that, especially because I can't seem to make out what the reason is. The darkness gimmick itself is executed really well, though. It has a unique difficulty to it that requires some extra caution. The boss is excellent too, with a fight that matches the quality of this level's enemy placement. There's a lot of stuff coming at you from all sides, but there's also plenty of room to avoid them, which makes the fight a really well-balanced challenge. I was very impressed with this level.
    Quill (8/10)
    • Wow, this was a really good level! The design is fairly simple, yet there's lots of variety to keep every new section new and interesting. The dark section was super cool and it's a gimmick that's rarely seen. Good job for pulling it off, though you suggested small Mario makes it work better. Good job nevertheless. I especially liked how the lava was still visible. Nice touch. This might be nitpicking, but the section after that has completely flat lava. There's no variation despite the earlier sections having it. The boss was simple, yet interesting as you could jump on the enemies to get a better shot. The bob-omb spawns incorrectly and the boss could have used a few more attacks though.
    TNTtimelord (8.7/10)
    • Well this is definitely a new level, taking on the devious powers of Hellco! It was a fine level to play. The NPCs all stayed faithful to the quirky hellhole atmosphere. Mostly everything looked pretty good graphically and the design was unique because it took on a business corporation coming in and taking over the area. I'm so glad you made the lantern section incredibly easy because my FPS died more times than my character did (Which was none). I also liked the boss, though I kinda got irritaed by the beezos coming in at such a fast pace. Overall, it wasn't that hard of a level and it was really fun.
    Valtteri (8/10)
    • This is a really neat level with all the gimmicks like the lantern section. It's fun and interesting to play. My only complaint is the graphics. Frankly, I don't like them. Except for the pieces of flesh sticking out of pipes, those were cool. The things you chose to use just don't fit together. The sunglass Koopas seem random. And the outside background is ugly. Honestly the level would work so much better with a different set of graphics. But the gameplay's ok, so you're good.
    zlakerboy357 (8/10)
    • A decent level. The first half of the level is pretty much linear, but pretty fun. The level had alot of decoration like red bushes and bones. Great job on the dark area where you had to use the lamp to guide yourself through. The checkpoint though is a bit unbalanced as the first half of the level was longer than the second half. The boss was well made as well. However I really find it broring since it didn't have any phases. Otherwise cool level.
      Guess: Bluoak
4. Willhart - Fallout Wasteland - 8.73/10
  • Bomber57 (8/10)
    • I found this level really enjoyable. The SML styled graphics set the atmosphere flawlessly. The level manages to make so much out of so little. There are a few spots where the enemies were unfair, such as the random Skarmory Thwomp and the cramped area where you see the first Computer Birdo thing. The boss was simply astounding to look at, but fell short in terms of gameplay. The boss could literally kill itself with the bombs it shot and the Lairons that came out of its arms were tough to dodge. Also, considering the Pokemon enemies I know who made this level :>
    Chad (9/10)
    • Wow, this level felt so refreshingly different! It has such a unique and detailed style going for it, with impressively mazelike design that made the whole level feel like a fun puzzle. There's even a lot of effort put into the appearance of areas you don't really access. There was often some slight mystery involved in finding the next way to go, and the level is so elaborate about doing so. I also really like the simplistic colors and unique enemies, especially those Birdo-like things. Having the occasional hidden pipeline passage is also pretty neat, as it gives some added feeling of depth. The doors are a little hard to tell, though. The boss is also a bit of a pain. It's astoundingly detailed and neat-looking with an incredible animation, but the Lairon generators basically ruin it. One of them appears vaguely over your head, and there's little room to avoid them when you have the two generators going because you only have that little corner to avoid stuff in. It's also hard to predict where the boss's hitbox is, which doesn't help. If it was a singular instance spawning from towards the center, or if the generators were slower, it would have been a lot better. At least it sort of kills itself with its own bombs though, so I guess you have to survive long enough for that to happen. The Skarmory was annoying, too. It's a bird, it shouldn't come crashing down as a Thwomp. It's also unnecessary, being the only one of its kind in the level. I also noticed some ambiguity with which metal beams are solid and which aren't, as they have a similar width, but that's not too bad as it's not that difficult to tell and it's part of the puzzling aspect. So yeah, pretty impressive level, but the boss is completely unfun and even suicidal. Which is really too bad, because it would have been great if a couple things were adjusted slightly.
    Quill (9/10)
    • Well, this level wins in terms of atmosphere. It's really amazing. I loved how the level is almost like a puzzle, with small areas which you have to navigate correctly to find the door. It's really good. The boss looks amazing and that animation was jaw-dropping, though it's a bit dumb and kills itself over time. Oh well. Overall, good job! I really enjoyed it.
    TNTtimelord (8.9/10)
    • The freaking atmosphere in this level is just astounding and it REALLY made this very worthy of a high score. It flawlessly plays onto it's nuclear wasteland type of style and even though there are literally no coins or items here, I could tell this kind of style of a level really didn't need it. The greenish-gray monotone style, and so much more. The desolate industrial parts also looked fantastic, and the dead trees were also an amazing touch and fit perfectly, even if they were 1x1. Very unique level.
      However, the boss can hurt itself, if you didn't notice, so that amounted up to be an amusing but rather quality destroying end.
    zlakerboy357 (8.7/10)
    • Neat level. The atmosphere here was great and the level had a great amount of BGOs. The design was fairly non-linear and pretty cool as well. The idea of going through the pipes was cool as well. The boss in other hand was pretty bad as it could kill itself by shooting Bombs at himself. Otherwise great job! I loved the atmosphere here!
3. Chad - Celestial Starstorm - 8.93/10
  • Bomber57 (8.75/10)
    • This level was absolutely astounding. It looks very appealing to the eye and has a great theme. The red coins are placed in fair and even locations that were a little bit innovative. Some of the sections involving heavy amounts of lava, specifically the sections with the skull rafts, were a little more difficult than they should've been. Also in the very last section there were a few parts where you could be hit by the Venus Fire Trap in the center because you were waiting for the lava to rise and fall. This level was excellently crafted and the result certainly represents the time the creator put into it.
    Quill (10/10)
    • Oh my god. This is an amazing level! There's a huge amount of creativity and variety in this level. The atmosphere is amazing and it was just great to look at and play. You kept my full attention at all times. You used the lava so creatively and I was blown away by everything you kept throwing at me. It was amazing. I especially loved the end where the lava would rise and then sink again and you had to act fast to progress. It was super fun! The only improvement I can think to make is that in Section 3, the player is giving the illusion that there is a split path when in fact the left path is the right path and the right path leads to a red coin. Make it more obvious that the path to the right is for the coin. This is a really minor problem, however, and I think this level deserves the score I am giving it. Fantastic work!
    TNTtimelord (9.5/10)
    • Right from opening this level was I expecting it to be epic, because the music sounds downright badass. The tileset was the perfect choice, the moving layers done on some of the stars (although most of it was genius placing and rotating firebars). The use of the lava events (and not making them move incredibly slowly) and expanding and contracting the section was all done near flawlessly. The literal only thing I have to complain about this level is that there were several parts where an unfair difficulty spike came into play, and it cost me dearly. Other than that, I really don't have much other to say than this is a phenomenal level.
    Valtteri (8/10)
    • An interestingly designed and beautifully constructed level! The colors of the piranha plants really bother me, they look really ugly to be blunt. There was a part where you had to jump on a skull raft and quickly off of it because it would start moving the wrong way and there was very little vertical space for the jump and even a Piranha Plant coming out of the pipe in the ceiling. I thought that was pretty unfair. I like the star bars and the single stars that rotate a bit! The sequences where you'd press a switch and wait a while for some blocks to move out of the way felt kind of useless to me. I thought the part where you'd ride the lava back while it would descend revealing new stuff was really creative. I like the Bob-omb cannons but one of them is kind of poorly placed in my opinion. You have to place a stomped Bob-omb to the left side of a row of blowable blocks, or the cannon will fire a Bob-omb at it negating them both. It's not a huge waste of time but still a little bit so. Finally, I would apply nofireball=1 to the upside-down space helmet Goombas, unless you had a reason to make those vulnerable to fireballs unlike the walking ones. Overall, well done!
    zlakerboy357 (8.4/10)
    • This is a pretty darn good level. The level looks amazing and the music you used was a great choice! The BGOs was well placed and the tileset blended well with the BGO and BG as well. The level was fairly non-linear as you had to go and activate different Skull-Switches backward anfdforwards, however the Skull Switches weren't SMB3 recolored. Same goes with the SMW Coins and SMW Blocks as they don't fit very well with the other GFXs. The only problem is that you do that you only do that throughout the whole considering that the level doesn't have any sidequests like hidden collectibles or hidden bonus rooms. Section 4 in other hand is something different as you had to dodge the lava which I have to say not really original, but something different.

zioy
Birdo
Birdo
Pronouns: he/him

Postby zioy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:27 am

I could see this going either way tbh

h2643
Birdo
Birdo

Postby h2643 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:30 am

Christian07/RudeGuy: "PGE" in level names were our small references to PGE, and levels with "PGE" in a name had a reference to each other also.

I'm pretty happy that I'm 10th at least, this was probably my best level ever!
Chad wrote:However, the grabbable block really threw me off. It just looks like an ordinary block, so I looked everywhere for a switch until I finally just grabbed it in the editor to see what it even was. Having the P-switch generate would be helpful, too.
Thanks, the grabbable block is now changed a bit and the P-Switch is changed to ?-Switch (that goes to brown blocks too, they're changed to orange ?-Blocks).

Willhart
Banned

Postby Willhart » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:47 am

It's good to hear the atmosphere worked as intended.

Regarding the boss of my level
I made the boss suicidal at the end, since I thought he really didn't want to be alive in that form. He cannot hurt you except with those spawned enemies, and I did not want to make the fight last too long. I probably should have made the player fall directly on top of him to establish this better. Even though it was required for the story I was going for, I agree it was not that fun to play.

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Postby Marina » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:50 am

Willhart wrote:It's good to hear the atmosphere worked as intended.

Regarding the boss of my level
I made the boss suicidal at the end, since I thought he really didn't want to be alive in that form. He cannot hurt you except with those spawned enemies, and I did not want to make the fight last too long. I probably should have made the player fall directly on top of him to establish this better. Even though it was required for the story I was going for, I agree it was not that fun to play.
I'm really looking forward to seeing your level, I know some of your work and it's always amazing ^^

sezixor
Blooper
Blooper

Postby sezixor » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:50 am

I find it a little bit funny how this whole time Darkonius Mavakar has been saying his level wouldn't do good, and it's made it this far. He and Shinbison-Kof both definitley deserve to win, though. They have both participated in just about every contest we've had, and are both more than worthy of winning. Good luck to you both!

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:51 am

My vote goes to Darkonius.

Return to “Level Contests”