[Tool] Playable character sprite calibration tool

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf
Flair: [ˈvoːlˌʃtant], 狐エンジニア
Pronouns: he/him

Re: [Tool] Playable character sprite calibration tool

Postby Wohlstand » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:02 am

FanofSMBX wrote:Could you please add a lunadll.txt output with "MemSet" using these offsets to make SMBX larger players?
http://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.ph ... ht#p246507
I'm needing this for a Kirby playable.
Already presented lunaLUA function which apply hitboxes directly from ini file (which saves with your image file which you calibrated. Don't edit gfx offsets, because ate not available address of them

nil loadHitboxes(int characterId, int powerUpId, string iniFilename)
Loads the hitbox settings for specific player and it's power-up state from INI file made by Special Calibration tool.
Note: GFX-offsets of each frame is overwriting yet. Use image calibration to calibrate position of frame without editing of GFX offsets.

John The White Yoshi
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby John The White Yoshi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:31 pm

This is awesome. I'm definitely using this for when I need to fix playables.

Hey! Can we get this stickied please?

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Small update

Postby Wohlstand » Mon May 04, 2015 9:35 pm

Calibration tool has been updated!

There are small bug-fixes of the tool.

Changelog 2.0.2
  • Missed animation slots has been added
  • Some typos has been fixed
  • Added ability to save calibration ini file into any custom directory!
Updated version you can get on the main post

HenryRichard
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: Is this where I type my password?

Postby HenryRichard » Thu May 21, 2015 6:39 pm

I think it would be better to post this here than in the LunaLUA topic.
I'm using this code:

Code: Select all

function onLoad()
	--Set the player heights
	--loadHitboxes(int characterId, int powerUpId, string iniFilename);
	loadHitboxes(1, 1, "andario-small.ini")
	loadHitboxes(1, 2, "andario-big.ini")
	loadHitboxes(1, 6, "andario-bullet.ini")
	loadHitboxes(1, 7, "andario-gold.ini")
	loadHitboxes(2, 1, "noigi-small.ini")
end
I get a "Attempted to call global 'loadHitboxes' (a nil value)" error when I test.
The .ini files are in the world folder - is that wrong?
Also, I tried both with and without semicolons - same error.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Thu May 21, 2015 8:00 pm

HenryRichard wrote:I think it would be better to post this here than in the LunaLUA topic.
I'm using this code:

Code: Select all

function onLoad()
	--Set the player heights
	--loadHitboxes(int characterId, int powerUpId, string iniFilename);
	loadHitboxes(1, 1, "andario-small.ini")
	loadHitboxes(1, 2, "andario-big.ini")
	loadHitboxes(1, 6, "andario-bullet.ini")
	loadHitboxes(1, 7, "andario-gold.ini")
	loadHitboxes(2, 1, "noigi-small.ini")
end
I get a "Attempted to call global 'loadHitboxes' (a nil value)" error when I test.
The .ini files are in the world folder - is that wrong?
Also, I tried both with and without semicolons - same error.
Hi, this is a bug in LunaLUA made accidentally while refactoring. LunaLUA 0.7 and LunaLUA 0.5 Has than function working with no bugs. In the current version of LunaLUA this function doesn't works because how I told, it was a bug whick caused with missing of binding entry.

Fennor
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Fennor » Thu May 28, 2015 4:06 pm

I noticed that when loading a sprite in the calibrator it automatically updates the hitbox value correctly. (If you load mario-2, width will be 24, height 54 and duck height 30).

However when you load Link, it shows 30 for duck height. But I think the duck height of Link actually is 44. (y offset is 8 instead of 22) So if you load Link and change nothing at all but safe it, your ducking animation will go through the floor since 30 is the wrong ducking height.

Maybe that got mixed up because Link has two different duck heights. I am not sure about that, but I think he must have one duck height for enemy collisions, and 1 for block collisions. I assume he has a smaller duck height for block collision so that he can slide through gaps with a height of one block. If you change the duck height to 100, he can still duck-slide through such gaps, while enemies can hit you at the very top. But if you jump while being in such a small gap, you will glitch even more with a higher duck height.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Thu May 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Fennor wrote:I noticed that when loading a sprite in the calibrator it automatically updates the hitbox value correctly. (If you load mario-2, width will be 24, height 54 and duck height 30).

However when you load Link, it shows 30 for duck height. But I think the duck height of Link actually is 44. (y offset is 8 instead of 22) So if you load Link and change nothing at all but safe it, your ducking animation will go through the floor since 30 is the wrong ducking height.

Maybe that got mixed up because Link has two different duck heights. I am not sure about that, but I think he must have one duck height for enemy collisions, and 1 for block collisions. I assume he has a smaller duck height for block collision so that he can slide through gaps with a height of one block. If you change the duck height to 100, he can still duck-slide through such gaps, while enemies can hit you at the very top. But if you jump while being in such a small gap, you will glitch even more with a higher duck height.
Any hitboxes I researched with a special level where I probed hitboxes with holes, slope celling, etc. Later, Kevsoft with using of IDA gave me built-in hitboxes values. All presented values are equal to hardcoded values.

Remember than: View != Real

Fennor
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Fennor » Thu May 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Wohlstand wrote:
Fennor wrote:I noticed that when loading a sprite in the calibrator it automatically updates the hitbox value correctly. (If you load mario-2, width will be 24, height 54 and duck height 30).

Any hitboxes I researched with a special level where I probed hitboxes with holes, slope celling, etc. Later, Kevsoft with using of IDA gave me built-in hitboxes values. All presented values are equal to hardcoded values.

As I said I think that ducking Link has two different hitboxes (unlike the other characters. I think that is also the reason for the strange behaviour when jumping as a ducking link when you are in a small gap with a height of only 32 pixels). One for block collisions, and one for npc collisions. That means while it may seem to fit when testing it with holes, slopes etc. or even what Kevsoft showed you, it doesn't mean that it will fit against npcs.

I tested it, too. I just loaded the Link sprite, and safed the hitbox values without changing anything (duck height 30). First of all the graphic moved down through the floor. Also while sniffits that stand on a block above the floor (so the sniffit is standing 32 pixels above the floor) usually can hit Link while he is ducking, they didn't hit me anymore with the safed hitbox (even though I didn't change any of the values, I just safed the values that showed up when loading the sprite)

Edit: Sometimes it is hard for me to understand what you are saying. Your name sounds german, that is also my native language. If you wish I can explain what I mean in german (private message). But now I am going to bed

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Fri May 29, 2015 10:05 am

Fennor wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:

As I said I think that ducking Link has two different hitboxes (unlike the other characters. I think that is also the reason for the strange behaviour when jumping as a ducking link when you are in a small gap with a height of only 32 pixels). One for block collisions, and one for npc collisions. That means while it may seem to fit when testing it with holes, slopes etc. or even what Kevsoft showed you, it doesn't mean that it will fit against npcs.

I tested it, too. I just loaded the Link sprite, and safed the hitbox values without changing anything (duck height 30). First of all the graphic moved down through the floor. Also while sniffits that stand on a block above the floor (so the sniffit is standing 32 pixels above the floor) usually can hit Link while he is ducking, they didn't hit me anymore with the safed hitbox (even though I didn't change any of the values, I just safed the values that showed up when loading the sprite)

Edit: Sometimes it is hard for me to understand what you are saying. Your name sounds german, that is also my native language. If you wish I can explain what I mean in german (private message). But now I am going to bed
I think, you had old hitbox properties
here are full hitbox list:
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_SMBX64/hitboxes.txt
I'm Russian, but you can also communicate with Kefsoft which my friend and my co-developer

EDIT: I just fixed duck height for Link:
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... b839f3a3a8

Take those INI files and put into your "calibrator/spriteconf" with replacing to apply fixed calibrations of Link
link-calibrations.zip

Fennor
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Fennor » Fri May 29, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks.

Yes, those hitboxes are correct. I thought I had the newest version of the sprite callibrator since I downloaded PGE - which included the sprite calibrator - just recently.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:14 pm

I tried to use this just now, and although it aligned the sprites properly, the sprites became darker and the mask sprites turned grey, making the main sprites transparent. All I did was move the sprites, test the animations, and save the file as a "masked gif," so I don't know what went wrong.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:22 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:I tried to use this just now, and although it aligned the sprites properly, the sprites became darker and the mask sprites turned grey, making the main sprites transparent. All I did was move the sprites, test the animations, and save the file as a "masked gif," so I don't know what went wrong.
Apply LazyFixTool to your source gif+mask pair (just drag & drop your image file into lazyfix tool apllication icon to run it especially for dropped by you file. You don't need to run pge editor especially for alone picture, and pge editor's gui is useful to execute batch process to entire worlds folder, or one of episodes only)
Calibrator blends mask with foreground image by alpha-blending algorithm, it is not a bitblit which in the smbx. So, you should have IDEAL mask, I.e B&W or grayscaled if you wanna use semitransparency effect.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:36 pm

Wohlstand wrote:Apply LazyFixTool to your source gif+mask pair (just drag & drop your image file into lazyfix tool apllication icon to run it especially for dropped by you file. You don't need to run pge editor especially for alone picture, and pge editor's gui is useful to execute batch process to entire worlds folder, or one of episodes only)
Calibrator blends mask with foreground image by alpha-blending algorithm, it is not a bitblit which in the smbx. So, you should have IDEAL mask, I.e B&W or grayscaled if you wanna use semitransparency effect.
Where can I download that?

Also, according to your description, it won't fix the fact that the main, non-mask sprites were made darker.

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Where can I download that?
It's included in PGE, so if you have it you should have the LazyFixTool.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:49 pm

Also, the tool makes the "backup" sprites too bright.

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:16 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Also, the tool makes the "backup" sprites too bright.
If you have too bad or miss-matching mask, feel free to edit your foreground image in Paint.NET/GIMP where you should fill black background with transparency and save image as PNG. Then apply PNG2GIFs (tool also included with PGE, but available in bottom of the main page of engine.wohlnet.ru ) to saved file and you will get gifs pair in SMBX format

buddyroach
Bit
Bit
Flair: Glitch420

Postby buddyroach » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:03 pm

I just wanted to say, this is a badass program. It is very well thought out and works well. It carries out multiple big tasks and even draws the spritesheets and the masks for them as well along with a text file to show smbx what to calibrate and how to tweak them. has an animator viewer so you can see what is going on. Allows you to adjust hitboxes. Tweak the frames offset so they dont cut off or overlap eachother. It lets you choose with each animation, what frames to use and in what order. This allows for new animations which differ from the original player sheets, thus more customization of sprites. Yeah I am probably just saying what everyone knows but I just really appreciate all that it does. Thank you for making this. This is awesome. What I am wondering is how you knew what to put in the text files to communicate to SMBX? Did you get the source of SMBX to know how to communicate to it?

Wkay
Spike
Spike

Postby Wkay » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:44 am

Oh my god...
You are the best person ever...

buddyroach
Bit
Bit
Flair: Glitch420

Postby buddyroach » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:22 am

aLinktotheDead wrote:Oh my god...
You are the best person ever...
who is that to?

Wohlstand
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Wohlstand » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:30 am

buddyroach wrote:I just wanted to say, this is a badass program. It is very well thought out and works well. It carries out multiple big tasks and even draws the spritesheets and the masks for them as well along with a text file to show smbx what to calibrate and how to tweak them. has an animator viewer so you can see what is going on. Allows you to adjust hitboxes. Tweak the frames offset so they dont cut off or overlap eachother. It lets you choose with each animation, what frames to use and in what order. This allows for new animations which differ from the original player sheets, thus more customization of sprites. Yeah I am probably just saying what everyone knows but I just really appreciate all that it does. Thank you for making this. This is awesome. What I am wondering is how you knew what to put in the text files to communicate to SMBX? Did you get the source of SMBX to know how to communicate to it?
I wasn't got sources of SMBX, but we with Kevsoft are hacking SMBX and disassembling them to get most of things from SMBX. I did a lot of side experiments to grab metrics from NPC's and other items. Calibrator is a useful tool to calibrate frames on image to fit into SMBX's hitboxes, and same tool used to configure character hitboxes, make animations for each case etc. for PGE. Generated INI file can be used in the SMBX with LunaLUA usage to redefine width and height of character. Later when we will find that addresses which defining settings of player's hitbox offsets, will be possible to completely redefine hitbox of the playable character

Return to “Archives”