Bowser's Castle (Difficulty Toned Down)

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
PROX
Banned

Bowser's Castle (Difficulty Toned Down)

Postby PROX » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:15 am

**THIS LEVEL MUST BE PLAYED AS AN EPISODE SINCE THE LEVEL CONTAINS MORE THAN ONE CHECKPOINT**
This is the Bowser's Castle level that is going to be used in my episode. This is not the final level in the episode

I decided to use a few of my own CGFX for this level:
Recolored Bowser Laser Statue
Recolored Bowser's Throne
Ultimate Bowser

**Update**
fixed the rinka shooters on the Koopaling Clown Car Boss

**Update 2**
the mini "kaizo goomba trap" is now gone
The laser statues maintain their patterns now since there is only 1 activator now
replaced the 1st elevator with a climbable fence since it caused problems with the climbing section of the level
Got rid of the mushroom generator in the koopaling boss and replaced it with 2 mushrooms
empty area next to the giant elevator in the boss room is now gone
1st phase Bowser can't go off the screen anymore
secret room pipe has been lowered
**Update 3**
Added sound effects to lasers
Fixed The effects on the Giant fire NPCs and the Flying Bone Piranha Plants
**Update 4**
Spoiler: show
Increased the height of the 1st bowser statue and moved the special blocks
Moved the special blocks and bowser statue
replaced turning bowser statue with dry bones and got rid of podoboos
Got rid of bony piranha plant
got rid of bowser statue and replaced with dry bones
Big Bowser Statue at the beginning of the section is gone
Rotating Bowser statue is gone
Replaced giant bowser statue with goomba
Disclaimer:
Most of the Custom Graphics used were not made by me
Original Bowser's Throne: Murphmario
Original Bowser Laser Statue, Bone Piranha plants, and climbable fence: Valtteri
Original Giant Bowser Sprite: Shocker
SPP Thwomp: Tulip
SPP Dry Bones: D15C0RD
Red Bowser Banners and Koopalings in Clown Car: Squishy Rex
YI Koopatrol: zephyr
Purple Night Bg: Mudkip
Bowser Painting: Darkonius Mavakar

Castle Tileset, lava, recolored fire spitting bowser statues, and BGOs were not made by me either
If I missed anything or anyone, let me know
Screenshots:

Download (Updated Again):
Last edited by PROX on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Flying Brick
Ripper II
Ripper II

Re: Bowser's Castle

Postby Flying Brick » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:04 pm

The level, as a whole, was pretty amazing, but there were some slight issues.
- A Goomba's pretty close to you the moment you start the level. It's not quite a kaizo trap, but it's pushing it.
- The laser statues were REALLY annoying to dodge, to the point where if you didn't have a powerup, you were pretty much doomed whenever you saw one.
- The Clown Car battle was riddled with little bugs. For one, the Rinka dispensers aren't fully untouchable, so I got pushed around by the air VERY often. Second, the Car itself was prone to despawning, as the arena was too big. Third, the warp after the battle is placed at the center of the pipe, leading to a glitchy animation.
That's pretty much it. It was hard, but fun. Personally, I'm not too fond of having unlimited powerups for a boss fight, but that's just me.

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Flying Brick wrote:The level, as a whole, was pretty amazing, but there were some slight issues.
- A Goomba's pretty close to you the moment you start the level. It's not quite a kaizo trap, but it's pushing it.
- The laser statues were REALLY annoying to dodge, to the point where if you didn't have a powerup, you were pretty much doomed whenever you saw one.
- The Clown Car battle was riddled with little bugs. For one, the Rinka dispensers aren't fully untouchable, so I got pushed around by the air VERY often. Second, the Car itself was prone to despawning, as the arena was too big. Third, the warp after the battle is placed at the center of the pipe, leading to a glitchy animation.
That's pretty much it. It was hard, but fun. Personally, I'm not too fond of having unlimited powerups for a boss fight, but that's just me.
yeah the clown car battle didn't go very well lol it used to be SO MUCH worse when contact with the NPC hurt you lol. Also the bossfights were still pretty challenging, but imagine those bosses without the power-up support xD They would have been next to impossible lol

Also I set the Bowser laser statues on a timer rather than the usual use of them, but I made the gap between the activation and deactivation to be 1 second which basically gives you just enough time to avoid it lol

And yeah I did die to that goomba at the beginning before lol

PROX
Banned

Re: Bowser's Castle (Issues and NPC Effects Fixed)

Postby PROX » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:40 pm

New updates were made to this level! (see main post for details)

Vile Insomniaxe
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby Vile Insomniaxe » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:06 pm

I really enjoyed this level! Lotta tense moments with Bowser and the statues. Great work!

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Vile Insomniaxe wrote:I really enjoyed this level! Lotta tense moments with Bowser and the statues. Great work!
Glad u enjoyed it :) Oh and BTW is anyone going to review this level? it has been out for about a month xD

Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Re: Bowser's Castle (Needs Review)

Postby Danny » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:44 am

Okay, to be honest, the level was really awesome but really, really hard. I ended up using donthurtme through the parts of the level I already completed when I died, because the amount of fire-breathing statues (especially the ones that turned) really frustrated me on my 8th run through.

The level is pretty dragging and there aren't any real gimmicks, though it presents a really big challenge if you want to get through the whole thing. In the beginning, the first Bowser Statue you're faced with can kill you right as you start the level, since the delay for it to shoot fire is almost randomized. What killed me the most was the amount of Podoboos and red Bowser Statues crammed into the same area as you jumped across platforms hovering over lava, I didn't get to keep my Ice Flower throughout most of the dungeon because of this.

The problem with the Dry Bones is that their hitbox is bigger and that makes the one in the beginning harder to knock down to get your first mushroom. Throughout most of the level I was without a power-up because of the high amount of Bowser Statues that kept hitting me, it was a shame but it presented a challenge, one that I will admit that I cheated through once I already got through it twice before.

The Koopalings battle was kind of inventive and presented a new challenge, but what annoyed me was the many Rinkas that knocked away the Mecha-Koopas. I had to rely on the way Mother Brain took damage just to end the battle easily, which is another problem. Sometimes the Koopalings would fly in the ground or through the walls, and while they would come back, sometimes they wouldn't and I would have to reset the entire level.

The second portion of the level, the Bowser part, was kind of epic, but a few things bugged me even though they presented a challenge. The fireball for the Ludwig Von Koopa-Bowser (the Bowser that uses the Ludwig boss) had an increased velocity, and with an increased velocity, it went upward or downward a lot slower and more unpredictably, so it was hard to determine whether to go up or down. Also, the second phase of that boss appeared right where I was, so I instantly lost my power-up when he appeared, and it glitched me through him until he jumped up, which really sucked.

The second part of the Bowser fight was truly epic, my only complaint is the Mega Bowser's fireballs were also large and their velocity was slower, so by time he shot two at me, he was already jumping and landing on me, so it was hard to maneuver around that. The other problem with Mega Bowser is that because of his size it was harder to get the Mecha-Koopas to hit him as he deflected them when I threw them, which was a little frustrating and dragged the fight a little longer, but I didn't mind as much.

So, in the end, the level is truly epic, though the whole castle part was challenging because of the amount of Podoboos and Bowser Statues crammed into the areas like I said, maybe if you ease it up just a little, I would enjoy it a bit more, but this is coming from someone who isn't as pro at SMBX as other people might be. The castle part could have also had a little less linearity, like some secrets (I didn't find any) or other things. Other than that it was really nice.

8/10

I died about 19 times before I beat this level.

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:25 am

Since this Level already has a Review in it I am gonna give it a playthrough only... even know it was like a month from the Video to this post but oh well...

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRa8ybKGdzg

PROX
Banned

Re: Bowser's Castle (Needs Review)

Postby PROX » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:48 pm

8bitmushroom wrote:
Okay, to be honest, the level was really awesome but really, really hard. I ended up using donthurtme through the parts of the level I already completed when I died, because the amount of fire-breathing statues (especially the ones that turned) really frustrated me on my 8th run through.

The level is pretty dragging and there aren't any real gimmicks, though it presents a really big challenge if you want to get through the whole thing. In the beginning, the first Bowser Statue you're faced with can kill you right as you start the level, since the delay for it to shoot fire is almost randomized. What killed me the most was the amount of Podoboos and red Bowser Statues crammed into the same area as you jumped across platforms hovering over lava, I didn't get to keep my Ice Flower throughout most of the dungeon because of this.

The problem with the Dry Bones is that their hitbox is bigger and that makes the one in the beginning harder to knock down to get your first mushroom. Throughout most of the level I was without a power-up because of the high amount of Bowser Statues that kept hitting me, it was a shame but it presented a challenge, one that I will admit that I cheated through once I already got through it twice before.

The Koopalings battle was kind of inventive and presented a new challenge, but what annoyed me was the many Rinkas that knocked away the Mecha-Koopas. I had to rely on the way Mother Brain took damage just to end the battle easily, which is another problem. Sometimes the Koopalings would fly in the ground or through the walls, and while they would come back, sometimes they wouldn't and I would have to reset the entire level.

The second portion of the level, the Bowser part, was kind of epic, but a few things bugged me even though they presented a challenge. The fireball for the Ludwig Von Koopa-Bowser (the Bowser that uses the Ludwig boss) had an increased velocity, and with an increased velocity, it went upward or downward a lot slower and more unpredictably, so it was hard to determine whether to go up or down. Also, the second phase of that boss appeared right where I was, so I instantly lost my power-up when he appeared, and it glitched me through him until he jumped up, which really sucked.

The second part of the Bowser fight was truly epic, my only complaint is the Mega Bowser's fireballs were also large and their velocity was slower, so by time he shot two at me, he was already jumping and landing on me, so it was hard to maneuver around that. The other problem with Mega Bowser is that because of his size it was harder to get the Mecha-Koopas to hit him as he deflected them when I threw them, which was a little frustrating and dragged the fight a little longer, but I didn't mind as much.

So, in the end, the level is truly epic, though the whole castle part was challenging because of the amount of Podoboos and Bowser Statues crammed into the areas like I said, maybe if you ease it up just a little, I would enjoy it a bit more, but this is coming from someone who isn't as pro at SMBX as other people might be. The castle part could have also had a little less linearity, like some secrets (I didn't find any) or other things. Other than that it was really nice.

8/10

I died about 19 times before I beat this level.
thx for the review and actually there was a secret area. In one of the pipes, there's a secret item area. I might add more secrets to the level when I continue to work on my episode. Since it was a Bowser's Castle level, it was meant to be hard although I will admit that I did go crazy on the bowser statues, but I don't think the challenge was unfair. Also the boss did have its share of problems and I thought I fixed the rinka problem xD and I never had the resetting problem when playtesting it because the boss would end up spawning back to where he was placed.
bossedit8 wrote:Since this Level already has a Review in it I am gonna give it a playthrough only... even know it was like a month from the Video to this post but oh well...
Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRa8ybKGdzg
I was wondering when you would put this up xD Even though most of those issues have been fixed and the level has improved since then xD
Last edited by bossedit8 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Merged Post, added Spoiler inside the Quote and more organized

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:26 am

@ PROX:

Don't double-post. If you want to add something to a topic, and your previous post is still the last one in the thread, just edit your post instead.

PROX
Banned

Re: Bowser's Castle (Difficulty Toned Down)

Postby PROX » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Since there were some complaints on the difficulty of this level, I made some changes to it. See main post for details.

Super Mario Player
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Super Mario Player » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:51 am

Do you have any idea of who has made the castle BGOs? Because they look very nice and I wondered if I could use them, but I have to give credit to the ones who've made it to do so.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:11 am

Super Mario Player wrote:Do you have any idea of who has made the castle BGOs? Because they look very nice and I wondered if I could use them, but I have to give credit to the ones who've made it to do so.
I'm pretty sure PROX made them. In the future, please avoid Bumping really old topics like this and PM the owner of the topic instead

Super Mario Player
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Super Mario Player » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:50 am

PROX wrote: Disclaimer:
Original Bowser Laser Statue, Bone Piranha plants, and climbable fence: Valtteri

Castle Tileset, lava, recolored fire spitting bowser statues, and BGOs were not made by me either
PROX said that he didn't made them.
BTW, sorry for bumping I won't do it again

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:06 am

Super Mario Player wrote:
PROX wrote: Disclaimer:

PROX said that he didn't made them.
BTW, sorry for bumping I won't do it again
Hm. Thought he did. You can always just check the Community GFX Pack; it's probably in there and I think I've seen it when browsing for graphics

Super Mario Player
Koopa
Koopa

Postby Super Mario Player » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:08 am

OK thanks

PROX
Banned

Postby PROX » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:47 pm

I made another tileset to replace this one. I didn't make the ones in this version.

Return to “Pretty Good”