Reappearing stars

Need help with any SMBX game-related issues? Ask your questions here.
mario610
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Reappearing stars

Postby mario610 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:50 pm

for some reason in my level when I die for the first time in a level and restart it, the stars reappear without the the event that triggers it

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Reappearing stars

Postby Magician » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:15 pm

Are there any other details you'd like to share?

Perhaps you could create another event that hides the layers that contain the stars, and have that event activated by one of the enemy NPCs in the beginning of the level. This could ensure that they stay hidden until an event reveals them.

mario610
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby mario610 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Magician wrote:Are there any other details you'd like to share?

Perhaps you could create another event that hides the layers that contain the stars, and have that event activated by one of the enemy NPCs in the beginning of the level. This could ensure that they stay hidden until an event reveals them.
I have the level start thing hide the stars that appear and stuff
This only happens if you restart the level in the pack
Also I have it when you talk to the mole at the end of a goomba stomping room to make the star appear

Here is the level: http://www.mediafire.com/view/phtt2qudy ... 20Maze.lvl
it might look and sound broken due to custom graphics and music but shouldn't be an issue

Magician
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Magician » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:10 am

Level - Start isn't going to suffice. Never use it. You need to trigger it some other way.
For some reason, when you restart the level after dying, the level - start event doesn't trigger properly. It's happened to me multiple times but it can be circumvented by not using it.

Though I think you could just leave the layers hidden by default? Just uncheck those layers in the menu and they'll disappear, and won't appear until the proper event makes them appear.

If that wasn't working for you for some reason, then do what I said above: find an NPC that gets activated in an area that is not the same screen as where you start the level, but in an area that you must pass through in order to get to the star. On that NPC go to "Events" and then click "Activate" and then click "Level - Start" and that should fix it by ensuring that even if the level start event wasn't triggered, something else will trigger it.

Return to “Help and Support”