Level Contest 9: The Autumn Contest

Topics that have reached 100 pages.
Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Level Contest 9: The Autumn Contest

Postby Valtteri » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:32 pm

We decided on making this contest seasonal. A new one is hosted every three months. This one is the Autumn contest. It's been three months since I posted Level Contest 8 so you could say that was the Summer contest.

After having to delay the results by a couple of days due to Quill being busy, here are the results, finally! I am going to sleep maybe 3 hours tonight because I stayed up until 3AM so I could post the results sooner, just for you! I hope you're happy! (There may be fuck-ups that I'll have to fix later as I'm actually doing this half asleep) I want to thank the judges for completing the judging with grace and doing such a good job, you're really awesome! Now, I present you the winner of the worst level award! Scroll wayyyyyy down...

(I'm afraid Mario's level had to be disqualified, he'd published his level prior to the contest.)

How it will be run

You'll submit a level (that meets the criteria stated under Rules) before the deadline, and after that the judges will take a week or so reviewing them. Each level will have a score on a scale of 0.00-10.00 and will be given a short review from all the judges. To make sure everyone gets the same amount of reviews, I will act as a back-up judge who will judge the levels that one of the judges can't review for some reason. The development of Tower of Biased 8, the episode that connects every submission, will also have started at this point. DarkMatt will give the winner a couple of Steam games again because nobody claimed them in the last contest.

Rules
  • You may only submit one level.
  • You must submit the level before the deadline.
  • It has to be made by you and you alone.
  • The level must be complete and completeable.
  • The level has to end with a Star (or the exit can be anything but a Star must be obtained in order to reach it). It can have an additional secret star but no more than two stars in total. This is for our convenience when we build Tower of Biased.
  • The level can't end the game.
  • Do not use music that goes beyond 6 minutes.
  • You may not reveal any details about the level to the public before the judges are done judging all the levels. This includes showing screenshots of the level prior to this announcement. You may not submit a level that you've posted screenshots of, or videos for that matter.
  • Don't put your name on any of the files.
  • LunaDLL isn't allowed as it's still a bit too complicated to the majority and those who know how it works would be in an advantage.
  • By submitting a level you agree that it will be in Tower of Biased 8.
And yes, as long as the level meets these criteria, you may submit a level that you prepared earlier. Participants who fail to obey these rules will be disqualified.

And don't forget to test your level. You have no idea how many submissions with incorrect start positions and warp directions we get every time! And make sure you don't place the (optional) secret star in the same section as the exit star. One section can only have one star or only the other one will add to the star counter. You may update your submission (send it to me again) until the deadline.

How to submit a level
  • Put your level in a ZIP along with the optional custom graphics folder and custom music.
  • Please don't put the files in another folder before archiving because I will have to move them out afterwards and that's more unnecessary work for me.
  • You may include a readme with tips if you want. But please put credit files in the graphics folder, I only want critical info regarding the gameplay next to the levels themselves.
    • LIKE THIS

ImageImage
    • Archive your level as shown above. Don't put the level, music or the possible readme inside the custom graphics folder as I have to move it out and it slows down the process unnecessarily. Make sure the custom graphics folder and the level have the exact same name as otherwise the custom graphics won't display in the level.
    • Give your level a unique name. Don't name it "Level" or "Contest" as that just makes organizing the levels a pain and at worst levels will get overwritten because they have the same names.
    • Name the custom music as shown above. Here's an example. If it's the desert theme from New Super Mario Bros. Wii, don't name it "Desert" or "Custom music" because it could overwrite an existing custom music with the same name when I pack the levels for the judges. Renaming songs and then making sure they still work in the correct levels is extremely time-consuming. So do this instead: name it nsmbw-desert.mp3. That's a great way to prevent overwrites, and if somebody happens to use the same music, the overwrite is actually beneficial as the double song will be eliminated and the package size will be reduced.
    • Don't name your readme just "Readme" either because, again, that'll definitely cause overwrites. Put the name of your level in the beginning of the name as shown above.
    • Please name the .zip after the level, too.
  • Please make sure none of the NPC codes have decimal values. They cause problems and slow down the judging/TOB progress significantly.
  • Send your level to me in a Private Message. I will direct them to the judges.
The deadline

October 13th, 22:00 GMT/UTC.

Judges

Will bold those who have submitted their reviews.
  • Chad
  • Bomber57
  • Quill
  • TNTtimelord
  • zlakerboy357
Participants

Those who submitted are bolded.

Valtteri
Bomber57
Chad
Quill
TNTtimelord
zlakerboy357
Darkonius64
Frozen
GMarinaX
KoolKat
GLD4
DimitrisPowerSeven
Christian07
Nien
Ragont
Little Boo
SuperMario7
TheUltimativeKyogre
ap3jmpt
SnifitGuy
fireflowerhour
moemoe02
SuperYoshiRex64
Murphmario
MECHDRAGON777
Mask_Of_Hope
Ignoritus
sezixor
Knux
Blueoak
Radishl
mariogeek2
GameClip477
Epoch
Pivot40Channel
qig
ElTipsta
Super Maks 64
AirSeus
Valtries the Fox
Shinbison-Kof
8flight
Vinyl Scratch
Mista Epic
Thetoxicminecrafter1
HarrisonTheKitsune
RarePairGaming
Dragonmaster146
TheTurnipLord
MrCrackerpants
Schm2000
Dollarluigi
Devixicus
DarkMatt
elitalianoverde
giocrom
litchh
Waddle Derp
116taj
as303298
Miles Troopa
Ace
Blck_Guy
Mario
PaperPlayerX
Luigifan2010
dragonfan96
jetace98
XuticX
Phazon1111
Arale
HealthyMario
LuigiGamer
MyNameIsEric52
DoctorShemp
Willhart
Zant
SuperWingedYoshi
YoshiGo99
h2643
Jack Goff
Turtwig
HenryRichard
DatDude
krazybluemonkey
Blue Bomber
BlimpFruit
RubberParasite
andregemeo23
Superiorstar
Fwusha medias
meowflash
Zyglrox Odyssey
Kep
Coll4040
Getlucky12341
Trace42
Kooper
Razpup09
Vanishing Bulborb
bulletbill43
Antiginger
Wind
TangledLion
Magibowser
Sux

The Results

Tier 1 Places 71-76
Spoiler: show
76. Arale - Memo - 0.04/10
  • Bomber57 (0/10)
    • No.
    Chad (0.2/10)
    • Yeah, um. No. You can have .2 for an interesting background, though.
    Quill (0/10)
    • LunaDICK
    TNTtimelord (0/10)
    • Butthurt much?
    zlakerboy357 (0/10)
    • no
75. Kep - A Pyramid Switch Puzzle with an Uncreative Name - 0.41/10
  • Bomber57 (0.25/10)
    • Argh! You fooled me with such a promising first screen! Then it turned out to be a joke level. Oh well, the effort in the first screen and the great joke song choice nets you 0.25 points. Better luck next time.
    Chad (1/10)
    • Oh man, ladies and gentlemen welcome to "you totally tried", the level. It actually looked pretty promising on the first screen, aside from excessive scenery placement that almost blends in with the solid blocks and some generally cramped design. It had a strong initial feeling of being lost in a tomb and preparing the player for a pyramid adventure. I have a feeling that such a first impression was intentional though, as almost immediately after the level begins to scroll, it... falls apart. Quickly. If it's any consolation though, if this were a "remind the player of He-Man" contest, you'd get a 10/10 from me! Also, there's no star. But at least we have an obligatory life/powerup-farming level for the hub now, I suppose.
    Quill (0/10)
    • This level upsets me. Starts off with a huge amount of potential, then the creator reveals he does not give a crap anymore and puts in random garbage. "CUM BAK 2 THIS LVL EVGERTYM U NEED 1ups AND POERUIPS" Since you said that, I'm going to exclude this level from Tower of Biased 8. By the way, I'd suggest working on your humour. Swearing five times in one sentence isn't funny unless you're a 10 year old.
    TNTtimelord (0.8/10)
    • Gay jokes I could have said: 5

The he-man song counts as 3 reasons itself.
    zlakerboy357 (-0/10)
    • ?
      Guess: Kep
74. 8flight - The Easiest Boss Fight Ever - 0.08/10
  • Bomber57 (0/10)
    • Impossible to beat.
    Chad (0.4/10)
    • Oh man, I am just so blown away by how easy and actually finishable this boss is! Truly, I am experiencing the utmost amazement upon witnessing this creation.
    Quill (0/10)
    • Oh, okay.
    TNTtimelord (0/10)
    • I SOMEHOW survived that all and managed to get the star.
    zlakerboy357 (0/10)
    • indeed it is easy
73. DoctorShemp - Philosophical Introspection - 0.6484138/10
  • Bomber57 (2/10)
    • An actually entertaining joke level. Good job on the timing.
    Chad (0.7/10)
    • That sure was... something. It must have taken some testing to get the dogs to spawn with timing that matches whatever was playing, but this isn't really a level.
    Quill (0.042069/10)
    TNTtimelord (0.5/10)
    • Nicely timed events. (Also WOOF)
    zlakerboy357 (0/10)
    • the dogs are so cute <33
72. knux - Epic Dank Level 420 - 0.98/10
  • Bomber57 (1/10)
    • A joke level. I'll at least give a point for it being slightly entertaining.
    Chad (2.6/10)
    • Well, um. This level happened. Clearly not a serious effort, and the design reflects this as well. It was goofy, but goofiness alone does not score points here. It does deserve some points for at least playing somewhat like a serious level, though. Kind of. A little bit. Wow, that empty grass section went on forever, though. I actually turned on sonicstooslow in there after a while.
    Quill (0.5/10)
    • What a beautiful story. Mario is madly in love with Peach, and tries to prove himself to her, only to end up in one simple fight that results in murder. She hates him for his demonic actions, leaving Mario to go on a quiet stroll in the woods where he can reflect on what he has done. After eons of walking, he finally realizes something. He doesn't need a girl, he has his bros. Bros before hoes.
    TNTtimelord (0.8/10)
    • Even though I kind of liked the music choice, the design doesn't take itself seriously.
    zlakerboy357 (0/10)
    • wat?
71. Zyglrox Odyssey - Akihabara - 1/10
  • Bomber57 (0.5/10)
    • Oh boy, a kaizo level. My favorite. I don't really want to write a review about this. I suck at kaizo and am not a fan. Maybe if this were a kazio contest you would've scored higher. Half of a point for effort.
    Chad (1.5/10)
    • A kaizo level is really, really asking a lot from the judges. I can't even begin to figure out what this one expects of me, but even if I could, completing kaizo levels requires so many failures that it becomes insanely frustrating and just not fun.
    Quill (3/10)
    • I'm not a person patient enough to play kaizo levels, but have some points for the effort. Kaizo levels just aren't suitable for a level design contest.
    Valtteri (1/10)
    • After eleven minutes I have figured how to get on top of the mushroom. I'm sorry but I'm not going to waste my time on this. The level is like a secret code. If there is a way to complete this level, only the author knows it. And even then it's ridiculously difficult.
    zlakerboy357 (0/10)
    • why are you doing this to me :(
Continues in http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/v ... =69&t=6424

Marina
Cecil
Cecil
Flair: Pachinko
Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Re: Level Contest 9: The Autumn Contest

Postby Marina » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:33 pm

YES FIRST

SIGN ME UP

zioy
Birdo
Birdo
Pronouns: he/him

Postby zioy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:34 pm

in

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:34 pm

in

DimitrisPowerSeven
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby DimitrisPowerSeven » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:34 pm

I enter too!!!

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:35 pm

in

YES 5TH

MistakesWereMade
Torpedo Ted
Torpedo Ted

Postby MistakesWereMade » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:35 pm

i'm in, since i'm better than a pile of shit

and a pile of shit is better at making levels than ragont/igno/snow/ace

therefore i'm better than ragont/igno/snow/ace

transitive property bitches

zioy
Birdo
Birdo
Pronouns: he/him

Postby zioy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:35 pm

OK now that I'm in, time to perfect my level. My personal goal is Tier 3 or higher, so I have to make sure to make the level unbearably perfect.

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:36 pm

IT'S FINALLY HERE, AND ABOUT TIME TOO
AND THIS TIME, I'M IN THE MOOD

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:37 pm

Hell yeah

Prepared to get rekt fools >:)

Good luck everyone.

ragont
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Postby ragont » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:38 pm

count me in

i actually have a cool idea for a level this time

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Postby Valentine » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:40 pm

IN, LET'S MAKE A GOOD LEVEL THIS TIME!

Raster
Banned

Postby Raster » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:42 pm

GLuigiX should have been a judge. Anyway, grats to my amigos Zlakerboy357 and Bomber57 for getting the judge status.

SuperMario7
Flurry
Flurry

Postby SuperMario7 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:42 pm

I'd like to participate!

Kyogre
Bit
Bit

Postby Kyogre » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:46 pm

in!

HeroLinik
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby HeroLinik » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:48 pm

Valtteri, you finally made the topic for the contest. You should know that I'm already in this as I pinged you about putting me in on IRC, but my level is already underway! Let's get on with it already!

ap3jmpt
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby ap3jmpt » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:51 pm

Perfect! Sign me up!

Chip Potato
Ninji
Ninji

Postby Chip Potato » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:54 pm

Sure, I'll enter.