Mouser's Factory

For the levels that stand out among the rest.
Schm2000
Koopa
Koopa

Mouser's Factory

Postby Schm2000 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:03 am

So, it's been a while since I posted another level on here, but this is my new level. Basically, you're going through a factory full of SMB2 enemies and at the end you fight Mouser and his pet Green Birdo.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
Credit goes to Valtteri for the graphics.
Imaynotbehere4long wrote:The level has been updated for re-review:

https://www.mediafire.com/?eilglhuc7iewyof
Last edited by bossedit8 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Re: Mouser's Factory

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:33 pm

It was kinda difficult to tell background images apart from blocks in this level. However, this is still a pretty good level. The level is a factory level with nothing but SMB2 enemies, and it even has branching paths, but I wouldn't call it nonlinear since the player has to go through one specific branch in order to unlock another branch. Speaking of unlocking the other paths, I thought that it was neat that the player has to collect a star in order to progress (kinda like a key, except the player doesn't have to carry it to the locked door). On the other hand, I felt that this idea wasn't used to its full capabilities since the midway point is right after the star-locked door. Once the player collects a star, it remains collected until SMBX is closed, so you could have used the star as a kind of second midpoint. The boss fight wasn't anything special, and it didn't deserve to have the midpoint right before it. The only thing about the boss fight that I can really comment on is that if the player accidentally kills Mouser first (and uses the buried veggies to do so), the green Birdo can't be killed and the level can't be beaten.

In conclusion: this is a fairly well made level, and I enjoyed it. I'd say that this gets a 6.5/10.

Imaynotbehere4long
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Re: Mouser's Factory [Re-Review]

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:22 pm

The level has been updated for re-review:

https://www.mediafire.com/?eilglhuc7iewyof

The level has certainly come a long way since its first release, and it was already Pretty Good to begin with. I highly recommend playing this level.

bossedit8
Banned

Re: Mouser's Factory

Postby bossedit8 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:57 am

@bossedit8's Level Review - Mouser's Factory - Created by @Schm2000

Design Usage:
Kind of a factory to get through the spots of smb2. This is a very great level and I really like as of how you made throughout the design of it. You basically go around with a lot of smb2 variety like theme of it and even climbing and a little bit of exploration involved. At the vertical sections you basically climb at the top and other times fall in order to get further on in this level but it was clever that you explore the older areas to discover new way of what changed after you pressed a switch that triggers new pathways for you. If you go to the other vertical section where that switch is waiting for you, it's basically a dead end with a flying bird on a carpet just flying around over you. If you actually destroy him you get a prize at the top where the switch is which to me it was very nice and clever as of how this was executed but for a worthful of prize I got is just a 1UP and that's basically it. It is better to add a little bit more to that like a better power up aswell and not only for a 1UP since alone to figure that out as of how to destroy that flying bird that replaces a lakitu is not that easy for newcomers since you only have those climbable tiles to deal with and some hoopsters that are at the same chain as you are. I find it neat that you can actually stand of these crates and fully objects of pipes as they are purposely regular just background objects but this level makes it clear that they are actual objects to interact with. There is one area where you have the option to fall off but if you do, you get a secret area that you can get a 1UP and a key and a door to get back up again which is clever but I would recommend to use either an "exit" door graphic at the exit way of the door as of where you came from or don't use the keyhole at the door and have no entrance altogether because to me it kind of looks weird as of how the door gets only locked off if the door animation has been ended and to me it thinks there is a key somewhere that is not at the secret room but that can be just me. After that you can get to a SMW Star which unlocks the one door at the previous section so you can get further on to the level. As for the SMW Star, it was a very good idea to put it in since this acts like a checkpoint in this level so you don't have to redo the previous vertical sections just to hit the switch in order to get it through it all again. By the way, about the pipes that has objects on it to actually have collitions on it, what you placed in are blocks that are only visibly seen if you have a Tanooki Suit and turn yourself into a statue. It is never recommend to add these blocks like that since it doesn't really make sense if those blocks appear if you use your tanooki statue. Use blocks that stays forever invisible no matter what you can do with them or use actual pipe blocks instead. Close to get to the boss room, if you are good enough you can skip the room where you have to press the switch in order to get to the boss room the usual way. It is better to block the the path to the boss room aswell until you hit the switch but only if you really want it to prevent the players to skip that part and get to the boss room the quick way. Upon meeting the boss, there is a green Birdo behind you and Mouser in front and after you defeated both of them you get a halfway point. After that, you get to another boss fight which is only Mouser but with Rinkas and even appearing Lava with a inclution of a warning sign to it. (Why do you not use my own created warning signs?!?). After defeating the main boss, he has his last trick up his sleves and that is by trying to squash the giant castle blocks with spikes on the left side to go to the left which means you have to either climb at the left side to avoid it or just by simply standing on it or go to the right while standing on it. After that the level basically ends with Peach saying that you saved her and with the end goal. The music you chosed was very fitting even know that I really don't know of the theme while fighting the main Mouser with Rinkas and appearing Lava.
Point Rating: 4.75

NPC Placements:
Your NPC placements were amazing to give the player a great variety of challenge and fun into it. Enemy placements were placed almost perfectly to deal with great challenges throughout the level... well, sometimes it does feel a little bit too much like sparkies on one segment of blocks going around but if you are good enough you can destroy them with an throwing object and not to deal with them anymore. About one section where you have to go forth and back, there is one green panzer that is just not nicely placed like if you wasted all of your throwing objects, that obstacle to even get through that panzer is very difficult since he throws randomly, can jump for whatever reason which he is not supposed to in smb2 (recommend: add nogravity=1 to that npc to prevent it from jumping) and that place is even narrow (sealing is too near to that enemy). I recommend to either place it so it is easier to get through or remove that panzer altogether. About the main boss, it is not recommend to add those smb2 coins that you can pick up and hold it since if you hold that npc next to Mouser, you can literally destroy the boss very easily but it doesn't affect Birdo on the first fight. About the rinkas, it is better to have a smb3 recolored version of it including the effect but that is just minor. About the coin placements, they were ok since there are just burried in the grass but it would of been better to have a higher change to collect coins in this level like having them also collectable in the air but that is just minor by having smb2 relative design like that. Power up placements were alright. Nothing wrong with that.
Point Rating: 4.5

Overall Rating Score: 9.25

The Best

Very nice and creative Level. Minimizable errors but very fun to play overall with even a few secrets to obtain.

Return to “The Best”