Site Discussion Thread

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
Kley
Edge
Edge
Flair: Robot

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby Kley » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:02 pm

Mr Briney wrote:RE: more board styles
Yey! And can we do non-Mario theme or no?
Feel free, but I mean, this is a Mario forum. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Radiance » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:07 pm

That's why I asked. Because I'm doubting to make non-Mario theme. :lol:

Kley
Edge
Edge
Flair: Robot

Postby Kley » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:16 pm

Mr Briney wrote:That's why I asked. Because I'm doubting to make non-Mario theme. :lol:
If you don't want a non-mario theme, you have the original Pro Silver look too

UCP>Board Preferences>My Board Style

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Radiance » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:28 pm

Thanks for the tip!

Julia Pseudo
Ludwig
Ludwig
Flair: gay gaymer girl
Pronouns: She/her

Postby Julia Pseudo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Tiny change, but the arrows in the page number selection here on the forums just changed to an arrow icon from SMB3, didn't they? That's pretty cool.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Yep, I changed that and the jump button before sending out the zipfile of theme materials. Also, for those who haven't noticed, the yellow hover color was changed to a deeper yellow for nearly all links on the SMBX site.
Mr Briney wrote:Yey! And can we do non-Mario theme or no?
If by non-Mario you mean Metroid, Zelda, Pokémon, or some other game, then yes. If you meant something more like prosilver or an otherwise generic board theme, then no.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:43 am

Yeah, I've noitched the jump and arrows are different, and they look pretty cool! Also, why exactly did you change the yellow color?

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:42 am

The old yellow was a Redigit color that may not have actually existed in any Mario game. The new color is found on the SMB3 star in SMBX, and it looks better.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:33 am

It does look better, and it's a bit more visible.

Anyways, there's a lot of icons on the site which don't make much sense to me and I believe should be changed, like:

The chat icon should be replaced with something like the SMW message box. Also, since pretty much everyone uses Discord by now, there's not much point in the IRC anymore, better to just have it replaced with a link to the discord server.

Most of the icons in the drop down quick links are the same, which can cause confusion, and I belive this should be changed.

The dead Mario with the edit button should be replaced with something else, like the Mario Paint cursor. Also, the delete icon is just an X, and I think it should be styled like the edit and quote buttons with the Mario Paint eraser.

I also think the site should use more custom icons rather than just SMAS/SMW sprites, since there's a lot of clash, and a lot of the icons aren't very descriptive, and having things like custom SMB3 sprites would help.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:26 pm

@Snessy the duck: All icons used in this theme belong on SMBX, since this is an SMBX forum. Having non-SMBX icons in this theme wouldn't make sense. Of course, they might look better that way, but that wouldn't do much honor to SMBX.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:25 am

Well, the difference on the yellow is so tiny that I don't even notice any difference.

The jump arrows are really cool. And yeah, I already mentioned the suggestion of replacing the dead Mario icon

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Intuition wrote:@Snessy the duck: All icons used in this theme belong on SMBX, since this is an SMBX forum. Having non-SMBX icons in this theme wouldn't make sense. Of course, they might look better that way, but that wouldn't do much honor to SMBX.
The Mario Paint icon and Eraser and SMW Message Box are in SMBX. Also, I think the site could use some more CGFX since that's actually a large part of SMBX if you think about it. Also, the new jump icon is custom, so there's that.

MacheTheFerret
Phanto
Phanto
Pronouns: she/her

Postby MacheTheFerret » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:00 pm

Extremely minor thing, but would it be possible to make banned users not show up in the default members list, and you can only find them specifically by looking under banned users?

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 pm

I don't think that's possible, but I wouldn't want to do it anyway. What's the issue with those users showing up in the memberlist?

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:12 am

This has been mentioned a lot of times in the past, but for some reason, nobody really seemed to care about fixing it.

The episodes description still states that featured episodes exist and that you can get your episode featured on the mainsite. I belive this should be removed as it can cause a lot of confusion for newcomers.

Also, the SMBX.org logo looks kinda weird:

Noitche how the SUPER letters are small, which looks fine when on top of Mario Bros. but looks kinda weird when beside it. It's kinda a minor nitpick, but I still think it should be changed.

Also, I still belive a lot of the icons on the forum should be changed to be more descriptive, and there should also be a direct link to the Discord chat somewhere (Like beside the Chat icon, or we could just replace that entirely.)

Edit: Also, the subforum bob-omb is cut off.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:26 am

The Discord server is the chat, and the chat button links to it.

The "super" letters look fine in my opinion, but even if they didn't there are no large "super" graphics from SMB3.

I still don't see the issue with any of the icons, save for maybe a little inaccuracy with the edit icon.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Joey wrote:The Discord server is the chat, and the chat button links to it.
Technically, the chat button links to a page on the IRC where you can go to the Discord chat, but I honestly think we should remove the IRC entirely and just make the chat icon go straight to the Discord chat, since the IRC is pretty much dead.
Joey wrote:The "super" letters look fine in my opinion, but even if they didn't there are no large "super" graphics from SMB3.
BMSaints made an edited SMAS SMB3 font which you can use for that:

Joey wrote:I still don't see the issue with any of the icons, save for maybe a little inaccuracy with the edit icon.
Some of the icons are pretty nondescriptive (Like the edit button), and there's a lot of clash, so I belive some of them should be changed to more "Custom" icons that fit the thing they link to better. Also, almost all the icons in the Quick Links submenu are the same, which I belive should be changed.

Edit: Also, the episodes forum description should still be changed.

Danny
Reznor
Reznor
Pronouns: He/Him, They/Them

Postby Danny » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:
Joey wrote:I still don't see the issue with any of the icons, save for maybe a little inaccuracy with the edit icon.
Some of the icons are pretty nondescriptive (Like the edit button), and there's a lot of clash, so I belive some of them should be changed to more "Custom" icons that fit the thing they link to better. Also, almost all the icons in the Quick Links submenu are the same, which I belive should be changed.
The only thing I can really think of that should be changed is the Edit button to maybe the Hammer Suit or a Hammer Bros. Hammer, keeping to the SMB3 theme. Also the Quick Links thing isn't that big of a deal, they could have no icons and be completely fine as well.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:45 am

In each contest thread, be it official or unofficial contests, the contest's host states the rules he wants to use for his contest and there's many intersections / universal rules (obviously). It's repetitive to find them in every thread OP, and I'd say it's a lot more convenient if we have an announcement thread for universal contest rules that apply always or almost always (e.g. submit through PM), and whenever someone makes a contest, they can refer to it and only need to explicitly state what they would want to do differently / what needs to be specified (how many levels, what platforms are allowed etc).

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:28 am

Counter-suggestion: Get people to come up with interesting and original guidelines. Levels with 6/10 average winning these contests is pretty embarassing and I'm puzzled why no contest host tried adjusting their guidelines to encourage more creativity. By streamlining the contest creation process we're undermining this creativity even more and forcing people who don't want to use the reference topic to put a big bold notice into the thread saying that this arbitrary ruleset doesn't apply. And then there'll be the one person who still gets it wrong.

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”