Site Discussion Thread

For topics related to SuperMarioBrosX.org. Suggest anything that you would like to see on the site here.
CopyLeft
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: Site Discussion Thread

Postby CopyLeft » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:22 pm

happy anniversary smbx forums
i havent done anything for the community

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:17 am

Doesn't really deserve its own topic but two little things which are outdated about this site:
1) Medal requests are still stickied, yet medals have been gone for ages.
2) Episode forum description implies the homepage gets updated with new episodes.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:18 am

Apparently what was it exactly that caused medals to be removed, and could they be reintroduced in a shaped form?

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:28 am

Also, I really think we should update the SMBX.org Home page to advertise 2.0 instead of 1.3.0.1., since that's the popular thing right now!

Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Postby Emral » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:36 am

It's still in beta though and many things might change before full release. Bug fixes, balancing adjustments and all that. Maybe something like TRY THE 2.0 BETA!!! or something.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Snessy the duck » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:41 am

Enjl wrote:Maybe something like TRY THE 2.0 BETA!!! or something.
That's a pretty good idea! Could definetly see that being used if the site ever gets updated!

darkhog
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby darkhog » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:36 am

I'd like to suggest few forum thingies:

- Lua syntax highlight for {code} tags. I think this is obvious and would greatly help readability of sample lua code posted in the forums. Not needed by any means, but it would greatly help.
- TinyMCE editor for forums posting. Unless it's there and I've missed a P-switch in the forum settings or something, it isn't there. And in this day and age, not having it is inexcusable. TinyMCE is web equivalent of Word, really great WYSIWYG editor for the web, capable of both outputting HTML and BBCode. And having editor like that will greatly increase number of nicely formatted posts and will reduce the need for a preview button, since the editor window itself will be a preview.

Both of these have appropriate phpBB extensions so there's little reason to not use them as having them would greatly improve the forum experience.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:07 am

This is some nitpick, but why does the Edit button have a dead Mario icon and not simply a tanooki leaf like the Quote Button? I'd recommend to change this.
darkhog wrote:TinyMCE editor for forums posting

I think our BBcodes are fine as they reflect the nature of a phpBB forum, and Joey has already given us useful upgrades recently (rimg tag and naming spoilers)

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:31 am

Lua highlighting: Good idea. I can see if there are BBcodes or maybe an extension that can do this.

WYSIWYG editor: Not really necessary in my opinion. Not sure about the possibility of it increasing page load times either.

Edit button: The edit and quote button are not meant to be similar in terms of their icons. The double leaf is meant to represent a double quote, and a single quote wouldn't make sense for the edit button. I'm not sure why it's that Mario icon specifically, as that was Redigit's design choice, but I think it's fine.

arcade999
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

SOOOOOO MUCH SCAMMING COMMERICALS

Postby arcade999 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:11 pm

I was on the forum and then, i see this:
When i see those bullshit scams, it alway make me laugh to see how bad is the ad! :lol:

Zeldamaster12
Cid
Cid
Flair: stop looking at my flair dangit

Postby Zeldamaster12 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:44 pm

Merged with the Site Discussion Thread because this doesn't need its own thread.

Snessy the duck
Birdo
Birdo

Re: SOOOOOO MUCH SCAMMING COMMERICALS

Postby Snessy the duck » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:58 pm

arcade999 wrote:I was on the forum and then, i see this:
When i see those bullshit scams, it alway make me laugh to see how bad is the ad! :lol:
You could always install an Adblocker!

darkhog
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby darkhog » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:39 pm

Joey wrote:Lua highlighting: Good idea. I can see if there are BBcodes or maybe an extension that can do this.

WYSIWYG editor: Not really necessary in my opinion. Not sure about the possibility of it increasing page load times either.

Edit button: The edit and quote button are not meant to be similar in terms of their icons. The double leaf is meant to represent a double quote, and a single quote wouldn't make sense for the edit button. I'm not sure why it's that Mario icon specifically, as that was Redigit's design choice, but I think it's fine.
WYSIWYG could be turned off in the forum settings if load times becomes an issue. But having this would make people see nicely formatted posts more often as 1) people wouldn't have to remember millions tags (all tags I remember are b, i, u, url and img and that's it) and 2) they'll be able to see their formatting result right away without having to click on the preview button.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:05 pm

All of the tags are literally right above the text box. And in regards to the preview button, we shouldn't have to cater in every way to the lowest, laziest denominator

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here

Postby ElectriKong » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:54 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:
Problem is, that is not always allowed by the site's TOS and will ban those who use such extensions (mainly to ensure they make enough money).

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:31 pm

Nobody has ever or will ever be banned from this site for using an ad blocker, and I don't think anything about that is mentioned in any TOS (the only TOS that I know of on this site is the one you agree to when registering a forum account). I also have never and will never make decisions related to banning users for the purpose of financial gain.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Postby krakin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:07 pm

Joey wrote:Nobody has ever or will ever be banned from this site for using an ad blocker, and I don't think anything about that is mentioned in any TOS (the only TOS that I know of on this site is the one you agree to when registering a forum account). I also have never and will never make decisions related to banning users for the purpose of financial gain.
That's nice to know because the Chrome browser on my laptop had a built in adblocker, but now because my laptop is potentionally dead from a spill, I'm using my Wii's Internet Channel, which doesn't have an adblocker. So even if the use of an adblocker was prohibited on this site, I wouldn't have to worry about getting banned.

krakin
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: i wish squids and octos were real

Postby krakin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:19 pm

King of Eterity wrote:
Snessy the duck wrote:
Problem is, that is not always allowed by the site's TOS and will ban those who use such extensions (mainly to ensure they make enough money).
Most of the time I get ads, but they're never PC related because I'm not on a PC, they're either TV show ads, Nintendo ads, book ads, or no ads, because my Wii's browser uses Adobe Flash Lite 3.0, and some elements don't always load, and it's almost always ad elements.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:35 pm

RE: more board styles

For anyone interested in creating new styles, download this zipped folder which contains all the images you can to replace as well as a text file for specifying additional color changes. Feel free to send something to me and I can take a look.

Radiance
Boomerang Bro
Boomerang Bro

Postby Radiance » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:53 pm

RE: more board styles
Yey! And can we do non-Mario theme or no?

Return to “SuperMarioBrosX.org”