The SMBX2 Custom Assets Library

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Emral
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Phoenix

Re: The SMBX CGFX Pack

Postby Emral » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:20 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:26 pm
-Compatibility with the SMBX 38A versions
-They would still work in SMBX2
You can't have both of these. Not because of file format incompatibility, but just in general. The IDs for all types of assets are different between versions. And even if not, there are surely differences in the frame placement or nuances to specific block/bgo/npc configurations that don't seamlessly carry over between engines.
The "simplest" solution that supports all engines would be splitting up the pack in cases where this causes a problem. But a simpler solution would probably be to just ditch one of the two and focus on either 38A or SMBX2 exclusively. And given this is the SMBX CGFX Pack, I know which engine I'm voting for :p

Closer on-topic I definitely support the complete deprecation of masks as a whole. It'll take a while to fix up all the semitransparent ones, but it'll be worth it because it makes all files in this pack inherently easier to edit. An old version could be kept around for people stuck on 1.3

Novarender
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Whoa

Postby Novarender » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Why are all the folders in the GFX pack empty

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Murphmario » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:25 pm

Novarender wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:58 pm
The OneDrive link is outdated, that's why.

Novarender
Monty Mole
Monty Mole
Flair: Whoa

Postby Novarender » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:53 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:25 pm
Novarender wrote:
Where is the newest link

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:54 am

There is no newest link. Just use the part 1 and 2 downloads.

Squishy Rex

Postby Squishy Rex » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:25 am

Novarender wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:53 pm
Murphmario wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:25 pm
Novarender wrote:
Where is the newest link
The OneDrive link is still usable, it isn't broken. If you use that same link now, you will see some changes that have been made on my end. Until such time as a better fully online option becomes available I will resume uploading to OneDrive again now that the past issues have been resolved. Once I have all of the finish re-adding all of the folders and a backup of the default game graphics I'll start working on uploading all of the custom stuff again. Everything will be converted to suit SMBX2 (maskless PNGs) since legacy 1.3 is no longer supported. This will also save on available space. Also to make things less complicated on my end, at this stage, assets for 38A won't be included, however, I would like to add a separate section specifically for 38A stuff in the future.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:41 am

Considering uploading my version of the pack to the onedrive, as well as possibly another file hosting service. It's incomplete, but seeing as how a contest is coming up, it would probably be of use.

Squishy Rex

Postby Squishy Rex » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:33 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:41 am
Considering uploading my version of the pack to the onedrive, as well as possibly another file hosting service. It's incomplete, but seeing as how a contest is coming up, it would probably be of use.
I believe you should still have ability to make edits so feel free to whenever you like. And having a backup uploaded somewhere else is always good too.

Squishy Rex

Re: The SMBX2 Custom Assets Library

Postby Squishy Rex » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:16 am

Changes have been made to the first post. For anyone who is interested please read carefully. If there's any questions etc, feel free to PM me here or on the Discord server.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:30 am

I might as well show some screenshots of my pack's layout, so I can get some feedback on whether or not it's better than the current layout.

I further split the blocks, bgos, backgrounds, ect. to further categories, including game style. While this makes the file paths longer, it makes things more organized, as opposed to shoving everything into a single folder without any organization. That method probably worked for the older versions of the pack, but with how many graphics have come since, it's probably not feasible.

Also, I noticed that "Carnival Night Zone" was ported over by a certain user who did some pretty bad things, to say the least. Not sure if that should be removed or not.

Edit: Also, you probably should've converted the graphics using the original 1.3 graphics as opposed to the ones in SMBX2. Some of the masks broke, especially with player blocks and the SMB3 cave blocks.

Squishy Rex

Postby Squishy Rex » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:53 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:30 am
I might as well show some screenshots of my pack's layout, so I can get some feedback on whether or not it's better than the current layout.
Spoiler: show
I further split the blocks, bgos, backgrounds, ect. to further categories, including game style. While this makes the file paths longer, it makes things more organized, as opposed to shoving everything into a single folder without any organization. That method probably worked for the older versions of the pack, but with how many graphics have come since, it's probably not feasible.

Also, I noticed that "Carnival Night Zone" was ported over by a certain user who did some pretty bad things, to say the least. Not sure if that should be removed or not.

Edit: Also, you probably should've converted the graphics using the original 1.3 graphics as opposed to the ones in SMBX2. Some of the masks broke, especially with player blocks and the SMB3 cave blocks.
Well both layouts are quite similar which is good. I like the idea of organizing the blocks etc more like what you've done, but I think you may be right about it not being feasible with the amount of content we have now. Which is a bit of a shame really. OneDrive does have its own search feature, which means you can filter specific things pretty well. That might be a good way to overcome that issue if everything is just dropped into the singular folder. I guess it would come to down what the majority prefers, a longer file path or a search function.

One thing I need to mention on file paths while I think about it though. If a folder name is too long the contents of that folder will not upload. The folder itself will appear, but it will skip its contents. That means you'll have to upload its contents manually or shorten the folder's name. This isn't a so much a OneDrive issue as GIFs2PNGs skips the exact same files as well.

With Carnival Night Zone, I'm not really inclined to the removal of contents made by banned users, since overall there is a lot of older content that was made by older banned users as well. If they were stolen graphics on the other hand I wouldn't hesitate.

The issue with original 1.3 and X2 is going to probably be a bit of a pain early on. Its going to take a bit work fixing that where it happens to pop up. If we can keep on top of that it would be nice, but it will be a bit of a teething issue.

Also as of this point, Red Yoshi's version has been completely transferred as well as a small number of other things . So everything that is in the Part 1 and 2 downloads is now available online.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:50 pm

Squishy Rex wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:53 pm
Murphmario wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:30 am
Spoiler: show

Well both layouts are quite similar which is good. I like the idea of organizing the blocks etc more like what you've done, but I think you may be right about it not being feasible with the amount of content we have now. Which is a bit of a shame really. OneDrive does have its own search feature, which means you can filter specific things pretty well. That might be a good way to overcome that issue if everything is just dropped into the singular folder. I guess it would come to down what the majority prefers, a longer file path or a search function.

One thing I need to mention on file paths while I think about it though. If a folder name is too long the contents of that folder will not upload. The folder itself will appear, but it will skip its contents. That means you'll have to upload its contents manually or shorten the folder's name. This isn't a so much a OneDrive issue as GIFs2PNGs skips the exact same files as well.

With Carnival Night Zone, I'm not really inclined to the removal of contents made by banned users, since overall there is a lot of older content that was made by older banned users as well. If they were stolen graphics on the other hand I wouldn't hesitate.

The issue with original 1.3 and X2 is going to probably be a bit of a pain early on. Its going to take a bit work fixing that where it happens to pop up. If we can keep on top of that it would be nice, but it will be a bit of a teething issue.

Also as of this point, Red Yoshi's version has been completely transferred as well as a small number of other things . So everything that is in the Part 1 and 2 downloads is now available online.
Should've worded my phrasing with the layout changes better; the old system is becoming not ideal. I've actually already sorted all of the graphics on mine.

Also, in terms of graphics, I literally just changed PGE's config pack to the 1.3 one and ran GIF2PNG through that.

Squishy Rex

Postby Squishy Rex » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:29 pm

Ah okay I see. Well as I said it won't be hard to change, at least now while each section only has a small amount stuff. Also forgot to ask, what are the "Chat", "Code" and "Organization" folders for. I assume the Code folder would be for things like the Source Code, but would that also include custom LUA scripts?

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:50 pm

The code folder is for LunaLua and Scripting (38A) functions, like enemies for instance. Chat is for talking with other contributors to the pack, without needing to use the forums or Discord. And organization is just a folder for me to sort out the various graphics packs.

Squishy Rex

Postby Squishy Rex » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:37 pm

Okay no worries, that means the Code folder is the equivalent to the LUA Scripts and LUA NPCs folders I've made and the other two aren't particularly relevant, although a Chat log could be beneficial. Other than that everything seems to be same across both versions save for name differences.

BabyWeegee
Dolphin
Dolphin

Postby BabyWeegee » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:07 pm

Does the onedrive contain everything from the old pack? I want to delete it off my hard drive but I'm hesitant out of fear of deleting gfx I may have wanted to use.

Turret 3471
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Turret 3471 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:30 pm

So just a quick little thing, I tried downloading the new pack from the OneDrive link the other day but it wouldn't work. Used both Firefox and Chrome, singing into my Microsoft account, and nothing happened when I clicked Download. It did show it was loading something, but once it was done, there weren't any prompts about where to save the file. Is there anything else I could try?

Squishy Rex

Postby Squishy Rex » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:44 pm

“BabyWeegee” wrote: Does the onedrive contain everything from the old pack? I want to delete it off my hard drive but I'm hesitant out of fear of deleting gfx I may have wanted to use.
Everything from The SMBX GFX Pack by Red Yoshi & supermarioman has been transferred but that is mostly it at this stage. There have been a few other things from various creators that has been uploaded as well.The Full Changes folder has Sednaiur’s Expanded Packs too for anyone who wants those.
Turret 3471 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:30 pm
So just a quick little thing, I tried downloading the new pack from the OneDrive link the other day but it wouldn't work. Used both Firefox and Chrome, singing into my Microsoft account, and nothing happened when I clicked Download. It did show it was loading something, but once it was done, there weren't any prompts about where to save the file. Is there anything else I could try?
Generally I’d advise against trying to download the whole thing as one as of right now, however if you choose to download something, clicking into that folder and hitting the download button in the toolbar at the top of the page should download the item(s) to your downloads folder. It also normally brings up the download progress at the bottom of the screen like any normal download should. Let me know how you get on.

Squishy Rex

Postby Squishy Rex » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:01 am

Hey all, just a quick heads up. I am currently working with Murphmario to roll out a big update. While this update is being made you may find that the some/all of what has been uploaded by myself and other users over the course of the last few days appears to be gone. Please do not worry about it if that is the case, we may have to move some stuff around or remove it temporarily to accommodate for this update. Once this update has taken place anything that is removed during this process will be re-uploaded as first priority afterwards and of course daily uploads will resume as normal. If anyone is planning to contribute anything over the next few days, please hold off for now.

Updates like this after this point should be not needed as everything will be done in real time. Just due to the nature of the beast in this case it will be quicker and easier if we approach it this way. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause, however we will be working to get it all ready for you as soon as possible.

Murphmario
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Murphmario » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:21 pm

Turret 3471 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:30 pm
Did it download to your downloads folder?

Return to “Archives”