SMB1 Expanded GFX-Pack v3.0

Share and discuss custom SMBX graphics.

Which game should get an expansion-pack next?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:57 pm

Super Mario Bros 3
65%
Super Mario World
35%

Total votes: 101
Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

SMB1 Expanded GFX-Pack v3.0

Postby Sednaiur » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:17 pm

Here I like to present you my SMB1 Expanded GFX-Pack, which takes the original graphics from SMB1, and expand them, so one can have a bigger selection of tilesets, blocks, NPCs, BGOs, level-backgrounds, or even worldmap-tilesets, to build a SMB1-styled worldmap in SMBX.
But this pack also features a lot of custom-made graphics, like a forest-tileset, a lava-tileset, and even a bonus area-tileset, all SMB1-styled and prepared to be used.
And since no one came here to read that, but to download the pack (at least I hope so ^^), here is the download-link for the .zip-file:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/sje19f
And to give some ideas, what is contained in this pack, here are some screenshots of it:
Some new stuff, that comes with version 3.0:
Spoiler: show
Stuff from previous versions:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
I took almost every original graphic, and edit it, to remove some cutoff, 8x8 style, or small errors. This also goes for all the level-backgrounds in the pack, which I had to take apart to every small piece, to re-arrange the backgrounds and make them more fitting for SMBX (like increasing the height of hills, so they are not almost covered by the bottom tiles of the level for example).
I don't know who made the SMB1-underwater-background first and had the idea about placing the SMB1-water BGO on top of it (I saw it about 16 months ago if I remember correctly) , but I burrowed the idea, and have build my own version of it :-). So I give credit to the person, who first invented that trick.

This pack now is adjusted and rebuild for the PGE-editor. That means you now can just take the ".tileset"-files and put them beside the graphics into your level-folders, without the need of build a tileset with it first. I also have added many new GFX, like new blocks for already existing tilesets, new NPCs (the skull raft is now inside, where it belongs), and also some new BGOs, to fill up the empty spaces. As a little bonus, there is also a new tileset, which is forest-themed.
A screenshot of all the level-tilesets in PGE (click the image for a full view):
A screenshot of all the worldmap-tilesets in PGE:
Please note that I made another rearrange for this pack, so it fits better for PGE. When using this pack in the SMBX-editor, you will have a harder time, when searching the different tiles in the tabs.

I have made use of spritesheets and rips of the following people in the process:
"Jouw" (misc SMB1-rips sheet)
"Mystic" (level-background-rips)
"It" (SMB! NES-sprite-rips)
"Beam Luinsir Yosho" (misc SMB1-rips sheet)
"program1357" (misc SMB1 level-background part-rips)
"Zeric" (level-map of an SMB1-underwater level)

Also a note about stuff in this pack: I know that several tilesets, backgrounds, and other stuff was already made before, but i have made them also, to edit the original versions and remove cutoff from them, rearrange them to fit better into SMBX and more. They are meant to give additional selection, not to replace graphics, that were made by others.

Please give credit to me when you use this pack, as it is great amounts of time, that i have spent into this pack. Thank you :-).
Last edited by Sednaiur on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Re: SMB1 Expanded GFX-Pack v1.0

Postby zlaker » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:22 pm

This is the most beautiful SMB1 GFX Pack I've ever seen. I swear you're a damn good GXF Designer man!

bossedit8
Banned

Postby bossedit8 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:25 pm

Ah. Now we have a SMB Graphics Pack here. You really did made a very good job with this. Everything looks massively Detailed.

Mudkip
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Mudkip » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Sednaiur goes to the next level. Also horizon on a world map? Man, this is TOO great.

silent_
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby silent_ » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:36 pm

My god, this is beautiful. I love every single aspect of this pack, and I cannot in any words describe how much of a genius you are. However, for the next update(s), I have a few recommendations:

-smb1 cloud tileset (if you have cloud worldmap, why not have a cloud tileset?)
-smb1 volcanic tileset
-smb1 factory tileset

...That's about all. I'll be sure to download this soon, and keep up the amazing work!

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:41 pm

Did something happen during those 10 weeks of inactivity?

I remember asking you a long time ago for this pack, well, actually saying it would be great that you could make an SMB1 Expanded Pack, after seeing your SMB2 Pack. Now, I can honestly say, this is the most amazing pack I have ever seen since Valtteri's, though if I had to say which is better I would have to censor it ... nah, who cares, we're in a free country anyway, I think this is my favourite GFX Pack ever released in the story of the SMBX Community, or at least during my stay, because god damn this is awesome.

Each graphic has it's own purpose on your pack, and blend awesomely well with the rest, or so appears judging by the screens. Not just that, every graphic is also made very carefully and mastered in every tiny detail, making it even more awesome. I love the horizon effect you made, that is god damn brilliant, and awesome. By the way, I think I've told you this already, but the climbable rocks in the rocky tileset blend too well with the darkened sizeable, you should make the sizeable dark part darker. Other than that, the whole pack is awesome.

Now, I dare you to tell me without re-reading or checking this post again how many times I've said the word "awesome" in this post. ;)

Long time since I last criticized anything you made, I was planning to do so in the SMBX Screenshots thread, but since I guessed you would post it here soon enough I saved my comments for this moment. Now, all we need is ... Metroid and LoZ Expanded Packs! JK =P
No, but seriously, that would be awesome.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Pronouns: They/She

Postby underFlo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Oh my God Yes.

Great work, I was so excited for this :D
Looks like you didn't disappoint, really good job.

ElTipsta
Lakitu
Lakitu
Pronouns: she/her

Postby ElTipsta » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:46 pm

This graphics pack is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing these! I'll be sure to use this at some point. Also, you should make a mega-graphics pack comprising all of these expansions and your other custom stuff someday.

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor

Postby underFlo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Looks like you forgot something in...

zioy
Birdo
Birdo
Pronouns: he/him

Postby zioy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:57 pm

The images are broken for me..... :(

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Whoa - this sure is some comments to answer ^^. Here i go then:
zlakerboy357 wrote:This is the most beautiful SMB1 GFX Pack I've ever seen. I swear you're a damn good GXF Designer man!
These are some very nice words, you speak there, thank you very much ^^.
bossedit8 wrote:Ah. Now we have a SMB Graphics Pack here. You really did made a very good job with this. Everything looks massively Detailed.
Thank you. It was for sure a huge delay with this pack (it was meant to be released about 10 weeks ago), because of my real life pulling the rope on me a bit. But i think it's time to pull it back now :-P.
Mudkip wrote:Sednaiur goes to the next level. Also horizon on a world map? Man, this is TOO great.
xD thanks. At least i try to get to the next level, but at the moment i cannot find the exit of the current one, as it seems :-P. There are still enough tiles left in the worldmap-editor, to make some more horizons. But i also have already some other ideas, but they need to wait some time for now.
Kep wrote:My god, this is beautiful. I love every single aspect of this pack, and I cannot in any words describe how much of a genius you are. However, for the next update(s), I have a few recommendations:

-smb1 cloud tileset (if you have cloud worldmap, why not have a cloud tileset?)
-smb1 volcanic tileset
-smb1 factory tileset

...That's about all. I'll be sure to download this soon, and keep up the amazing work!
My thanks to you for these words :-).

For the suggestions:
1. I have made the worldmap-cloud tileset in corresponse to all the clouds, that are present in SMB1. I could think about it, though
2. I already have planned a volcanic tileset and worldmap-tileset, but i cannot work on that in the moment (which is the reason, why i didn't included it yet)
3. I really don't know about this. Maybe i will do it, but this is far from being promised. I am sorry about this :-/
Natsu wrote:Did something happen during those 10 weeks of inactivity?

I remember asking you a long time ago for this pack, well, actually saying it would be great that you could make an SMB1 Expanded Pack, after seeing your SMB2 Pack. Now, I can honestly say, this is the most amazing pack I have ever seen since Valtteri's, though if I had to say which is better I would have to censor it ... nah, who cares, we're in a free country anyway, I think this is my favourite GFX Pack ever released in the story of the SMBX Community, or at least during my stay, because god damn this is awesome.

Each graphic has it's own purpose on your pack, and blend awesomely well with the rest, or so appears judging by the screens. Not just that, every graphic is also made very carefully and mastered in every tiny detail, making it even more awesome. I love the horizon effect you made, that is god damn brilliant, and awesome. By the way, I think I've told you this already, but the climbable rocks in the rocky tileset blend too well with the darkened sizeable, you should make the sizeable dark part darker. Other than that, the whole pack is awesome.

Now, I dare you to tell me without re-reading or checking this post again how many times I've said the word "awesome" in this post. ;)

Long time since I last criticized anything you made, I was planning to do so in the SMBX Screenshots thread, but since I guessed you would post it here soon enough I saved my comments for this moment. Now, all we need is ... Metroid and LoZ Expanded Packs! JK =P
No, but seriously, that would be awesome.
Thank you for such praise, as it makes me happy to see, that you like it that much. Always nice to see, when i can help the community with some of my works ^^. Yes, when i started work on my SMB2 GFX-pack, i also lost some thoughts about SMB1, SMB3, and SMW and how i would expand them.
I will see about your suggestion with the sizable, so i can fix it then. Thanks for mentioning that :-).

About Super Metroid and Z2, i guess i would try my hands on Z2, but not because i don't like Super Metroid, but because Z2 seems to be more ignored (just like SMB1 and SMB2 ^^).
But i promise, when "Wohlstand" really completes his "PlatGenWohl", i will start up a "Tileset-party", where i will expand more than Z2 or SM ;-D.

P.S: Thanks for all these "awesomeness" xD.
Nickname wrote:Oh my God Yes.

Great work, I was so excited for this :D
Looks like you didn't disappoint, really good job.
I am glad to be of help. I also hope, that i don't disappoint with this pack ^^.

About your found, i already knew, i forgot something xD. I hope i left not even more of them inside the pack ^^.
ElTipsta wrote:This graphics pack is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing these! I'll be sure to use this at some point. Also, you should make a mega-graphics pack comprising all of these expansions and your other custom stuff someday.
I also thank you for commenting on this :-). I would be happy to see a SMB1-level from you someday.
About your suggestion, i think i will do something like this, when the time has come for it, in my opinion :-).
KoolKat wrote:The images are broken for me..... :(
I don't know why this is, but maybe they will be visible for you later. Sorry for this :-/. Maybe you have problems with the picture hosting site "Postimage"? This is, where i have uploaded them to.
Thanks for all the interest in my works. I am happy to share them :-).

AirShip
Panser
Panser
Flair: The Flying Ghost

Postby AirShip » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:17 pm

Seeing these GFXs, I think about, "Because even I make graphics?".

Incredible graphics, Sednaiur, you can do an entire episode just with them, keep up the good work. =)

YoshiGo99
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby YoshiGo99 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:36 pm

These are really nice! I would love to use these but I have to come up with an idea of a SMB styled level...

What can we expect next? SMB3, SMW, SML1/2, NSMB? Sure hope to see you make more packs soon!

Eternity
Snifit
Snifit

Postby Eternity » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:40 pm

Okay, now that looks awesome! This is one of the best packs I've seen here so far, and it will definitely help a lot when designing SMB1 levels.

Zant
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Zant » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:42 pm

zlakerboy357 wrote:This is the most beautiful SMB1 GFX Pack I've ever seen.
Quote for truth.

Fuyu
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Fuyu » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:44 pm

By the way, I don't see major of the level entrance GFX that are on those screenshots, there are just flag poles.

moemoe02

Postby moemoe02 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:14 pm

I cannot believe all these kinds of SMB1 styled graphics! You made expansions to tilesets like large brown blocks, slope ends for each tileset, world map tilesets, new kinds of enemies, new backgrounds such as a cloud background, a night waterfall background, a desert with Goomba pillars, and other kinds of stuff, I'll use these for levels I'll be making in the future of my SMBX history!

underFlo
Reznor
Reznor

Postby underFlo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:49 pm

By the way, can we also get a hot butt-edition of this?

Superiorstar
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Superiorstar » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:53 pm

This is epic.
Nuff said.

Meepingturtle
Rex
Rex

Postby Meepingturtle » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Thank you SO much!!! :mrgreen: I was looking EVERYWHERE for a smb1 gfx pack!!!!! :D

Return to “Graphics”