Super Mario: Heroes on the Star Quest - Cancelled

This forum is for projects that are a work in progress.

What this game has lack of?

Level Design
6%
Gameplay
9%
Atmosphere
14%
Replay Value
19%
Good NPC Placement
51%

Total votes: 77
zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Super Mario: Heroes on the Star Quest - Cancelled

Postby zlaker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:22 pm

Credits to me for making the banner.

Super Mario: Heroes on the Star Quest is my first SMBX project that I'm working on alone. This project has been in development for a loooong time and that's mostly because I'm litteraly the only one who's on it now. I'll share some info with you guys aout this project now ;)

Gameplay

One of the project's highlights are the item and objects. I'm actually planning to those items for the project's advantage as they will be interacting with some of the gimmicks in the project. There'll be 60-65 levels in total and 9 worlds in the project. There will be some unusal level types in this project like Mysery Houses, Battle Zones and more. The characters will also play a huge role in the project because some of them are required to get certain Power Stars in some levels. But don't worry, you have noew the ability to switch to any of the four characters (Mario, Luigi, Peach and Blue Toad) when you're halfway through a level. There's another highlight in the project.

The Star System

As you might remember form the World 1 demo, every level in World 1 had 3 Power Stars and 5 Star Coins (except for the Mystery House). Well this will change in the rest of the worlds in the project. The length of the level will now depend of many Stars there are in the levels. Every level will of course have Stars and Star Coins, however the number of them will decrease or increase depending on what level you are playing. The maximum amount of Stars or Star Coins in levels will be 5 and the minimum number will be 3 meaning the total number of Stars and Star Coins is 8. Haven't gotten it? Lemme give ya an example. Let's say 2-1 has 4 Stars. Before you enter the level you will see how many Stars there are in the level. Since it's 4 Stars in the level it means the level must have 4 Star Coins. And there more Stars there in a level there more are required to unlock the next level. And Star Coins will have a much bigger purpose in the levels now. Collect all of them and they can reward you with anything. It can a Fire Flower, an 1-Up Mushroom or even unlock a secret level ;) Who knows.

Items & Objects

These items and object will play a huge role in the project as they will appear in every level.

New items
Spoiler: show
Beam Block: Lights up dark areas.
Bomb Block: This block can be walked on, however it will go BOOM if ya don't hurry up! - New! 09/01/14
Carryable ? Block: Pick it up and see what it contains.
Chomp: Topples up everything on its way. - New! 09/01/14
Coin Button: Moneytime baby! This thing make pipe shoot coins out of pipe.
Copy Mushroom: Copies the current item you're using and saves it in your Item Restore Box! - New 09/01/14
Purple Crystal Brick: This can be kicked in any direction and defies gravity
Crystal Mushroom: Eat it and you have the ability to go through the Crystal Blocks. - New 09/01/14
Firey Friut: One of the hottest fruits ever. If you touch it you'll get hurt. Make your hungry friend Yoshi eat it.
Flame Baby Yoshi: And speaking of fire this guy spits out fireballs on his friends.
Generator Block: Hit once and items will pop out infinity.
Ghost Yoshi: This Yoshi only appears in ghost houses and eat only Boos or Erries.
Gravity Block: Grab it and toss it wherever you want. This block breaks the law of gravity.
Gravity Fruit Block: This thing works like a Berry Block, it blocks your way however it defies gravity. - New 09/01/14
Green Coin: Collect all 20 of them and earn an 1-Up.
Heavy Baby Yoshi: SIZE DOESN'T MATTER! Even the tinniest guy can be the heaviest on earth.
Hungry Baby Yoshi: The hungriest is always hungry for, you know...enemies.
Jugem Coin: Collect all 20 of them to get a Jugem Cloud - New 09/01/14
Mystery Warp Box: A combination of a Warp Box and a Mystery Box. Transport you to another place, but before you have to do a Mystery Box Challenge
Orange Coin Button: Press it and it will replace the stars in the level with Orange Coins.
Image Image
Purple Coin Button/Purple Coin: Collect the 5 Purple Coins and a locked Mystery will be opened. The Button will likely just make the 5 Purple Coins appear.
Orange Coin: Collect all of the and you'll able to unlock a Warp Box.
Vine Egg: This egg contains a vine. Be careful where you throw it.
Returning items (from Mario games)
Balloon Baby Yoshi: I think his name explains everything.
Baseballs: Baseball is a sport in real life, but this is a game. Let's use it as a weapon.
Bubble Baby Yoshi: Mario's long time friend is returning and helps our plumber to save the day.
Cannon Box: No! It's not a Billy Gun. This bad boy let's ya shoot cannonballs at your enemies.
Jugem Cloud: This baby allows ya to float everywhere in the level. - New! - 09/11/15
Mystery Box: You have 10 seconds to complete the challenges inside here. Do you think you'll master it?
Red Coin Buttton: Kinda like a Red Coin Ring, but you there is 5 coins instead for the usual 8.
Warp Box: Transport you to anther area.
Challenge Mode

Challenge Mode works similary to the one in NSMBU. There will be several new challenges in the project. I'm planning to add 40 challenges in the project! There will be 5 challenges each world (expect for world 9). There are 3 different types of challenges.

- Time Attack: You've a certain amount of time to complete a level.
- Coin Coffers: You get any kind of challenges related to Coins!
- Special Challenge: You can get any kind of challenges!

Screensshots

Here's some screens of the current progress of the project!

Big Screenshost! - 09/01/11
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Small Screenshots! - 09/01/15
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
The Team

These people will be in the credits for helping me out!
Beta Testers:
1.) GMarinaX
2.) icemario12
3.) ElTipsta
4.) SuperWingedYoshi

Graphic Designers:

1.) h2643
2.) Kazzoo
3.) SuperPanCake

Level Recorder:
1.) bossedit8
Videos

Here's some old trailers of the project.
If you really like this episode then please add the support banner below in your signature.

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.smbxgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=464][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/gefypao.png[/IMG][/url]
Last edited by zlaker on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:38 am, edited 73 times in total.

Keddy
Flurry
Flurry
Flair: ここはお前の住む世界ではない!

Re: Super Mario: Heroes on the Star Quest - Beta Testers Nee

Postby Keddy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:53 pm

Hey, uh, how did I become a beta-tester by the way. Not saying I don't want to be, but just wondering.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:17 am

elitalianoverde wrote:Hey, uh, how did I become a beta-tester by the way. Not saying I don't want to be, but just wondering.
You asked before the forum got closed, remember?

Keddy
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Keddy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:26 am

Not really...but i'll ask again anyway, can I be a beta tester?

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:38 am

elitalianoverde wrote:Not really...but i'll ask again anyway, can I be a beta tester?
Of course! :D

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:45 am

Here is another screenshot guys. The level I'm showing off right now is of the levels I'm currently working on. This one takes place deep in the desert where tanks will emerge at you. Flying Dry Bones will also make apperance in this level. Other enemies such as Spikes, Bob-Omb and Hammer Brothers will a some role in this level. Probably the first desert screenshot I think so?

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:40 am

The screenshot of today. The second desert level I'm showing (I think so?). This level takes place in a canyon with metal rigde and with cactus and stuff you would expect in a canyon. The development of this level just started today and I'll probably finish it tommorow. Credit to me for me to the recolored Banzai Bill Blaster. Oh I forgot to mention that Hammer Bro, Pokey and Spinies will be in this level. Nothing special though. Plus Yoshi will maybe appear in this level.

Navi
Nipper
Nipper
Pronouns: he/they

Postby Navi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:33 am

Invalid download link.

FutureNyanCat
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: Species: Felis robotus
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FutureNyanCat » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:37 am

Luigifan400 wrote:Invalid download link.
It was a fail when he tried to copy the whole topic from Knux's forum.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:26 am

FutureNyanCat2014 wrote:
Luigifan400 wrote:Invalid download link.
It was a fail when he tried to copy the whole topic from Knux's forum.
It's now fixed.

icez
Spike
Spike

Postby icez » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:09 pm

I must say I been following this project for sometime and I am impressed I like the pretty straight forward level design and the different level themes I cant wait to play the complete project

icemario12
Tweeter
Tweeter
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby icemario12 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:14 pm

Looks like a neat project, and you're a great designer. Can I be a beta tester,please?

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:55 am

icemario12 wrote:Looks like a neat project, and you're a great designer. Can I be a beta tester,please?
Sure! :)

Keddy
Flurry
Flurry

Postby Keddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:26 am

Hey zlakerboy357 what happened to you posting screens every other day? Not demanding them, just wondering....

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Re: SM Heroes on the Star Quest - Gameplay Update & Screensh

Postby zlaker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:41 pm

If any of you are wondering l have decided to close the topic for a day or two. It need to be fixed so I'm not gonna open it until I'm done with it. Hope you understand.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Re: SM: Heroes on the Star Quest - Gameplay Update & Screens

Postby zlaker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:20 am

A new screenshot. This is first screenshot showing off the Double Cherry in action. The level takes place in World 2: Drybakew Ruins and the level will be shorter than other levels because it's hard to control the clones and there won't be many hills or enemy hard to kill. Hope you like it.
BTW: The devolopment has stopped because the 1.4 of SMBX is right in the corner so I kinda wait to it release. Thanks for either understanding or not understanding.

Kingbowser112
Buster Beetle
Buster Beetle

Postby Kingbowser112 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:49 am

Wow! Double Cherry! In this episode there're many nice objects, interesting mechanism, and good enemy from others game. Good Job, Bro.!

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:15 pm

Kingbowser112 wrote:Wow! Double Cherry! In this episode there're many nice objects, interesting mechanism, and good enemy from others game. Good Job, Bro.!
Thanks Kingbowser112. Just wondering, do you wanna be a beta tester? I kinda need more.

bulletbill43
Koopa
Koopa

Postby bulletbill43 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:11 pm

Hey Men i love this game, good graphics and levels, i would like create games as your. I'm sorry I'm bad in english I speak Spanish.

Chill Pingu

Postby Chill Pingu » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:47 pm

zlakerboy357 wrote:Double Cherry
double cherry? is it possible to generate clones without cheats?

Return to “Projects”