Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Official community level contests.
Axiom
Foo
Foo

Re: Level Contest 8: The Winner!

Postby Axiom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:59 am

Christian07 wrote:
Luigifan2010 wrote:im not scared, like i said before I have no interest in learning it
Okay. So why Luna.DLL shouldn't be allowed in the contests?
have you read any of my previous posts jesus christ

zioy
Birdo
Birdo
Pronouns: he/him

Postby zioy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:04 pm

I think that LunaDLL should be allowed in CC9, but ONLY if 1.3.0.2 (LunaDLL update) has come out already. Honestly, I don't have it right now, and I don't necessarily plan on learning it, but I would like to play ToB8 differently than the earlier Tower of Biased installments. As in, I'd rather play levels with LunaDLL gimmicks (example: custom Hammer Bros) than not, but I don't think using it should be required, or judged separately (unless a truly new and interesting gimmick using complex Lunacodes is used and is noteworthy).

FanofSMBX
Mouser
Mouser

Postby FanofSMBX » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Judging from a lot of opinions, I think there should be no events, NPC codes, custom graphics, or custom music allowed. If somebody doesn't want to learn how to use them it would be unfair!

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:16 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:Judging from a lot of opinions, I think there should be no events, NPC codes, custom graphics, or custom music allowed. If somebody doesn't want to learn how to use them it would be unfair!
Your sarcastic remarks aren't helping anyone.

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:29 pm

you know what, im just gonna quote my talkhaus post seeing as how that clarifies alot of my thoughts
raocow wrote:Honestly, I just think that some pillars of the smbx are just afraid of change after using sbmx for so many years and I honestly believe that a little part of them are afraid of getting 'upstaged' or something just as stupid.
i see where you're coming from with this, it's not necessarily that I'm afraid of lunadll but i'm worried more for new users. i'm sure its not hard to master but it can be very confusing, i'm thinking of a younger self looking at some of the lunadll stuff and thinking to myself "wow this would be confusing as fuck to a 12 year old".

but then the argument of "a truly good level designer would be able to outdo a lunadll". that's true and again, i see where (mabel) was coming from there on the forum (but he didn't have to say it so rudely jesus), depending on who the judges are they could easily be biased towards lunadll levels or something like that.

i just think its too soon, we don't even have that many lunadll levels on the forum in the first place and afaik only one major lunadll graphics pack.

my thoughts: wait until cc10 when at that time, 1.3.0.2 (i never even knew about this till recent) will be released and its more widespread and people have more experience with it
and even if right this second 1.3.0.2 was released, I still think its not enough time for everyone to learn their way around hence why I think lunadll should be put off till the next contest.

Chad
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Chad » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:53 pm

The problem with LunaDLL is that a lot of people still can't even so much as install it, which completely blocks them off from the extra level editing capabilities that it has. It does end up giving LunaDLL users an advantage, and the difference between forbidding that as opposed to things like events and custom graphics is that everyone is capable of using those. They are native elements of SMBX, so regardless of level editing knowledge or skill, anyone can learn and experiment with them.

If some versions of 1.3+ could use custom graphics and others couldn't for some reason, and fixing it wasn't as simple as just getting a new download, I'd be all in favor of having the contests just be vanilla graphics only. But since every instance of SMBX can do it, the playing field is level as far as that's concerned.

Once 1.3.0.2 comes out, I'll be totally in support of including LunaDLL in the contests because everyone can have it at their fingertips. But while there are still people that are unable to mess with it, it would create an imbalance in terms of the tools each person has to work with.

Axiom
Foo
Foo

Postby Axiom » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Chad wrote:The problem with LunaDLL is that a lot of people still can't even so much as install it, which completely blocks them off from the extra level editing capabilities that it has. It does end up giving LunaDLL users an advantage, and the difference between forbidding that as opposed to things like events and custom graphics is that everyone is capable of using those. They are native elements of SMBX, so regardless of level editing knowledge or skill, anyone can learn and experiment with them.

If some versions of 1.3+ could use custom graphics and others couldn't for some reason, and fixing it wasn't as simple as just getting a new download, I'd be all in favor of having the contests just be vanilla graphics only. But since every instance of SMBX can do it, the playing field is level as far as that's concerned.

Once 1.3.0.2 comes out, I'll be totally in support of including LunaDLL in the contests because everyone can have it at their fingertips. But while there are still people that are unable to mess with it, it would create an imbalance in terms of the tools each person has to work with.
pretty much what i was trying to say but i guess i worded it wrong or something idk
with the way i trip over the engrish language i might as well be swedish or some shit xd

Bomber57
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg

Postby Bomber57 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:52 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:Judging from a lot of opinions, I think there should be no events, NPC codes, custom graphics, or custom music allowed. If somebody doesn't want to learn how to use them it would be unfair!
Oh quit jerking it to LunaDLL.

Besides, most users literally cannot get it to work no matter what.

SMBXxer
Panser
Panser

Postby SMBXxer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Bomber57 wrote:
Oh quit jerking it to LunaDLL.

Besides, most users literally cannot get it to work no matter what.
Not bossedit8, or Little Boo, or, a lot of people.

leif_erikson
Tweeter
Tweeter

Postby leif_erikson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:08 pm

Still, I think lunadll shouldn't be allowed in this main level contest because very few people know how to use it fully.

The problem is, it's a competition. It's not very sporting to add a niche thing few people understand into a competition. Just stick to other projects which allow lunadll if you want to use it, or start another contest (chocolate contest).

By the way, this whole idea has already existed for 5+ years in SMW hacking. They're called "vanilla" contests, where you can't use any addons and can only deal with basic SMW hacking. Contests in which you can use IPS patches and ASM hacks are called "chocolate" contests.

Valentine
Silver Yoshi Egg
Silver Yoshi Egg
Flair: The Beginning, The End
Pronouns: She/Her (Any)

Postby Valentine » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:37 pm

Lunadll doesn't even work for some people so even if they wanted to use it they can't (me for example)

Sednaiur
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Sednaiur » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:24 am

Chad wrote:The problem with LunaDLL is that a lot of people still can't even so much as install it, which completely blocks them off from the extra level editing capabilities that it has.
Nice to see that at least one person understands the situation for many people. I for example cannot get it to work, no matter what i do (i only ask questions, after i have read for the answers for them).
I already looked around and even asked for help, but no one could help me with my problems. If lunaDLL is working different in version 1.3.0.2 of SMBX, then i am glad to use it, but when lunaDLL is connected the same way with SMBX with 1.3.0.2, as it is with 1.3.0.1, then i fear there will be no help for me either.

Ideas i have enough for lunaDLL, but i just cannot use/install it.

zlaker
Birdo
Birdo

Postby zlaker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:18 am

Blueoak's score is actually 7,097/10, not 6,267/10.

Valtteri
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Valtteri » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:01 am

zlakerboy357 wrote:Blueoak's score is actually 7,097/10, not 6,267/10.
Yeah, I just forgot to change the score. His placement is correct. I put the right score there now.

ElTipsta
Lakitu
Lakitu
Pronouns: she/her

Postby ElTipsta » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:04 am

How far away is Tower of Biased 7 from being released? We haven't heard anything about it for a while.

zioy
Birdo
Birdo
Pronouns: he/him

Postby zioy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:21 am

Yeah we have. I'll be released this week. and there was a leaked screen on the IRC

Vinyl Scratch
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: The God Emperor of SMBXkind

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:35 am

KoolKat wrote:Yeah we have. I'll be released this week. and there was a leaked screen on the IRC
The week is over you liar
Where is the Tower

glitch4
Banned

Postby glitch4 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:16 am

Valtei's still working goddamit

e: I WRITED LIKE THAT
Last edited by glitch4 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vinyl Scratch
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: The God Emperor of SMBXkind

Postby Vinyl Scratch » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:17 pm

GLDude wrote:Valtteri's still working goddamit
And how long exactly has he been working on the HUB m8
btw don't steal my the idea for my text, that was my gimmick to begin with and I'm not letting it get stolen like over at Cloud's chatbox

RudeGuy
Fry Guy
Fry Guy
Flair: local guy

Postby RudeGuy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Vinyl Scratch wrote:
GLDude wrote:Valtteri's still working goddamit
And how long exactly has he been working on the HUB m8
btw don't steal my the idea for my text, that was my gimmick to begin with and I'm not letting it get stolen like over at Cloud's chatbox
Maybe he's taking a break...

Return to “Level Contests”