Mafia Discussion

The popular forum game that separates the good from the bad, the strong from the weak, and the loose-cannon cops from the slightly schizophrenic. That's all after we figure out who's who, of course.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Perunasose
Bob-Omb
Bob-Omb

Re: Mafia Discussion

Postby Perunasose » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Cedur wrote:No. There are poll-based host sign-ups and it is required to have played at least one game before one can host. New players are welcome at any time though, and welcome to the forums!
Got it, and thanks!

PersonNamedUser
Birdo
Birdo

Postby PersonNamedUser » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Perunasose wrote:Can anyone create a mafia game at any time?
Well it depends, if you mean a potential mafia game CONCEPT, then yes, however, In terms of running and hosting a game, no, you need to submit your game in a host signups, which the Game Masters put up from time to time, and then when you submit a game, they have to review it aswell as any other games submitted and afterwards a poll is run and whoever wins the poll will be the host of that game.
EDIT:
Oops, hadn't seen that Cedur already replied

ElectriKong
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Pronouns: he/him

Postby ElectriKong » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:29 pm

No

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: I'm gone, for chess and minesweeper

Postby Cedur » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Electriking wrote:
No
nice ninja

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:10 am

Perunasose wrote:
Cedur wrote:No. There are poll-based host sign-ups and it is required to have played at least one game before one can host. New players are welcome at any time though, and welcome to the forums!
Got it, and thanks!
In fact, you can already join M47 if you've figured out how the game works and if you're interested. Backups are being looked for.

GforGoomba
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench
Flair: It... it worked...

Postby GforGoomba » Sat May 26, 2018 8:32 am

I am very bad at detective work which is why I follow bandwagons and/or other's beliefs. Can you please tell me how to spot a Mafioso as a Townie/Doctor?

GforGoomba
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby GforGoomba » Sat May 26, 2018 8:52 am

Also, Mom says Im not allowed on Discord anymore. Sorry if this disappoints you.

ElectriKong

Postby ElectriKong » Sat May 26, 2018 8:54 am

GforGoomba wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:52 am
Also, Mom says Im not allowed on Discord anymore. Sorry if this disappoints you.
Why?

GforGoomba
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby GforGoomba » Sat May 26, 2018 8:59 am

Electriking wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:54 am
GforGoomba wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:52 am
Why?
Cos she thinks the servers are unmoderated.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Sat May 26, 2018 9:02 am

Dear Mum, read the welcome channel and check for yourself that this server is moderated and that there's no NSFW stuff going on. :x

in response to investigating and playing in general - I've started working on a playing guide last year but pretty much abandoned it, I'm sorry for that. But as this game has shown, you can sometimes be wrong even with your most convincing theories. I detected xDestroy and Warlock as a collaborating duo around Night 3 and by Night 4 I was absolutely sure they were maf, that's why I didn't even worry about ShadowStar although I TOTALLY should have since he asked so much about my night action lol

also double-posting instead of editing only holds for game threads, not the whole subforum

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 am

GforGoomba wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:32 am
I am very bad at detective work which is why I follow bandwagons and/or other's beliefs. Can you please tell me how to spot a Mafioso as a Townie/Doctor?
It's honestly just something that comes with experience. I've played Mafia for a while and though due to time issues, etc. haven't played the last few games, however reading through was able to identify two Mafia and two Town specials by part way through day 1. You just start to get vibes and see patterns in behaviour that tend towards someone being Mafia, etc.

Warlock
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: bep
Pronouns: they/them

Postby Warlock » Thu May 31, 2018 6:10 am

Hello, everyone!

So, I am aware that many of you have been curious regarding Mafia's future. We have had numerous discussions regarding what we want to do with Mafia going forward, and we've finally come to a decision on what we want to do.

I am please to announce that Mafia WILL be returning permanently! However, we are making some serious changes.

First off, the Game Masters Team. As you probably guessed, myself and Pseudo will be taking up the mantle, as well as ShadowStarX, who you may recognise as one of our Discord Chanops. We may recruit new GMs in future should we need new additions to the team, but for now it'll just be the three of us.

Secondly, Host Signups will only be held once every few games, rather than once every game. The reason for this is that we feel that the host signups were a large contributing factor to the toxicity that caused Mafia to shut down in the first place, as it seemed that host signups added a layer of competitiveness to the game, when in reality we should be playing Mafia for fun.

Thirdly, We're only going to be hosting regular Mafia games during the summertime, since that is usually the time of year when most people are available to play the game. Do not fret, however! We will still be hosting Mafia events every now and then outside of the summer season, so be on the lookout for announcements regarding those events.

Our aim with these changes are to try to reduce the level of toxicity that plagued Mafia the last few times we've been running regular games, while also encouraging activity from both veterans and newbies. We hope these changes will allow Mafia to continue to thrive in the foreseeable future, without running into the same problems as before. We will be cracking down on inactivity and toxic behaviour with gamebans (in addition to forum warnings in extreme cases).

See you in the village!
Warlock

Archived
Van De Graf
Van De Graf

Postby Archived » Thu May 31, 2018 10:20 am

I feel as if a 2-3 day lull between games and signups would help benefit activity because although everyone enjoys playing mafia, it's kind of tiresome to have a game, immediate signups just back to back to back to back.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:50 pm

I wonderif Mystery game sign ups still require that previous game host because that would make mystery games even harder to get hosted.

xDestroy
Nipper
Nipper

Postby xDestroy » Thu May 31, 2018 5:34 pm

Would you guys be interested in a “How to mafia 101”, containing articles on how to play and tips and tricks for each role?

GforGoomba
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby GforGoomba » Thu May 31, 2018 5:49 pm

xDestroy wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:34 pm
Would you guys be interested in a “How to mafia 101”, containing articles on how to play and tips and tricks for each role?
Aye

GforGoomba
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby GforGoomba » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:00 pm

How do I not be suspicious if I am a Townie?

ElectriKong

Postby ElectriKong » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:06 pm

GforGoomba wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:00 pm
Defend yourself properly

GforGoomba
Rocky Wrench
Rocky Wrench

Postby GforGoomba » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:08 pm

Electriking wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:06 pm
GforGoomba wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:00 pm
Defend yourself properly
What is a good defense if a lot of people agree that I am Mafia and I am actually a Townie? Claiming doesnt do good.

Cedur
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby Cedur » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:09 pm

this can be talked about and advice can be given after the game.

Return to “Mafia”